Re-Reading: Magnus Robot Fighter #22

A week-to-week plan is available for re-reading VALIANT from the beginning...
start anytime, go at your own pace.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

How would you rate this book?

33%
No votes
No votes
No votes
33%
33%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 3

xoken
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Re-Reading: Magnus Robot Fighter #22

Post by xoken »

I thought we could do a book a day (that way people can read one every day or catch up on weekends), talk about it on its own, in the context of whats next, in regards to what expectations it creates and vote on how good it is. I don't have to be the one that posts everyday. If I miss a day or if someone wants to take over please do

For voting think of your single favourite comic book (not just VALIANT) as the benchmark - thats a 10 - and grade according to that.

Make sure to mention what you like'd about the book, what you didn't, what you wish they would have done, your favourite panels, lines of dialogue, little bits of trivia etc.

Magnus Robot Fighter #22

Todd Luck
Doomed to forever roam the black halls

Post by Todd Luck »

Well the Malevs look really cool this issue. Brock's art is incredible and all the Malev designs look fantastic. I can't figure out why all the big Malevs disappear after this plotline and then we get an endless stream of boring human sized ones (that aren't as well designed).

The dialog on this series is now just functional with some occasional bad a$$ lines in there but this issue seems to have especially akward dialog. "Prepare intersystem warp-transport. We would be away." "Emperor! Turn!"

The action is decent. There's still a menace here. The only thing though, it seems like the Magnus from the last 20 issues would've found a way to board or stop the emperor's ship. Magnus is better than this.

One wierd thing, lasers aren't working on the Malevs but after Magnus 25 or so no one will have a problem destroying the Malevs with laser guns. You'ld think it would have occured to North Am's sercurity to just turn up their lasers or use explosives (conventional, nuclear, ect) on the Malevs. North Am isn't THIS helpless.

And why do the Malevs SAY all there programing outloud? This used to be the butt of many jokes when I was teenager :) .

Like I said before, this is decent stuff taken on its on, but too dumbed down when read in the context of 1-20. A 6.

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...
Re: Re-Reading: Magnus Robot Fighter #22

Post by magnusr »

I might have been too quick to jusdge the previous issue. From that story by itself we didn't know how much would be torn down. In this issue it starts to show clearer. Some deaths for shock value and again Magnus being inadequate for the situation. A decent read, but with a bitter taste.

/Magnus

Todd Luck

Post by Todd Luck »

magnusr wrote:I might have been too quick to jusdge the previous issue. From that story by itself we didn't know how much would be torn down. In this issue it starts to show clearer. Some deaths for shock value and again Magnus being inadequate for the situation. A decent read, but with a bitter taste.

/Magnus
Ah, yes, the post-Shooter slaughter of the majority of minor characters he used. I guess it happens more here since we had more characters.

But the obsession with killing minor, less popular characters is always strange. When they did that recently in Infinite Crisis I thought the villians should be yelling "Die you obscure son of a b!tch!" Here I guess the Malevs should be saying "Obscure character located. Fan support low. Kill, reduce to elements, recycle." :)

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

Seaborn's synopsis:

Professor Talltree, Willow, Felina and many others are killed in the Malev onslaught on North Am. Izak enables Magnus to escape and together they attempt to stop the Malev Emperor from leaving Phobos. On Earth, Leeja and M’Ree have discovered the identity of the attackers and begin to use the ectotheric energy against the Malevs. Slagger and Elzy fall into a great pit in battle with a Malev. Magnus and Izak depart Phobos to destroy the Emperor’s transport, unaware that they have a Malev stowaway on their exterior hull.

/Magnus