Shocker Announces Indy Toy Line (Includes Solar & Magnus

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

It's a shame that Dino & Co. have to go through this nightmare and see nothing in return (so far). I hope he is able to stick it out, but I wouldn't blame him at this point for bailing and trying to recoupe a little of his money back.

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes

Post by Knightt »

Good points... I wouldnt want anyone to go through this crap either but in all the reading points in this case.... I think that this could all have been avoided.

Heath
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

Granted, there has been no evidence of any kind of plan of action. Other than opposing some of VIP's trademark filings and an ebay store, there has been not a word. There may indeed be no plan. My point is that we can't come to a conclusion about DNV based on the absense of information.
I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

What is DNV ?

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Dino's New Valiant.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Who the hell came up with THAT ?

I am sure that the two other parties are rolling their eyes at that one!! Besides, I dont think we know 'who' is in charge of WHAT these days. Dino graduate from some video academy so I would think he would be handling the movies (that Hollywood just loved :lol: ) portion should anything arise. Just because Dino is a board member involved with this, I seriously doubt dubbing it 'DINO's New Valiant' is valid or even warrented.

Just sayin'.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Heath wrote:Granted, there has been no evidence of any kind of plan of action. Other than opposing some of VIP's trademark filings and an ebay store, there has been not a word. There may indeed be no plan. My point is that we can't come to a conclusion about DNV based on the absense of information.
I would not call anything that we have been bantering around 'conclusions'. Agreed ? (if we agree, then THAT woudl be a conclusion)

eh ? EH ? All those term papers that I have been doing are paying off, man !!! :lol:

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

The question is, do you want VALIANT done right or do you want it done right now?

I rather have it done right.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Oh man, I thought that they fed you to that giant squid that was recently caught.

Well... there goes the conversation. :roll:

Heath
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

Knightt wrote:
Heath wrote:Granted, there has been no evidence of any kind of plan of action. Other than opposing some of VIP's trademark filings and an ebay store, there has been not a word. There may indeed be no plan. My point is that we can't come to a conclusion about DNV based on the absense of information.
I would not call anything that we have been bantering around 'conclusions'. Agreed ? (if we agree, then THAT woudl be a conclusion)

eh ? EH ? All those term papers that I have been doing are paying off, man !!! :lol:
Not anything that you and I have been bantering around. I was really aiming that at jedimarley.
jedimarley wrote:They have no plan. No cash. And no business experiance.

Looks to me that they're dead in the water.
I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

BrianT
Favorite character: X-O Manowar/Ninjak/Armorines

Post by BrianT »

jedimarley wrote:read the fine print. :|

http://www.valiantcomics.com/xolitho/xoreserve.html
Yeah but who came up with that fine print? I don't know anything about that litho other than what was on that page you linked, but that's something set up through this site, right? Was it cleared with VEI or is it just another fan project?

jedimarley
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.

Post by jedimarley »

Heath wrote:
jedimarley wrote:They have no plan. No cash. And no business experiance.

Looks to me that they're dead in the water.
So if you don't know about it, then it doesn't exist? :roll:

How do you know they have no plan? Has Dino told you something he hasn't told any of the rest of us? How do you know they have no cash? Are you their accountant? How do you know they have no business experience? Have you been spying on him his whole life?

Just because you're out of the loop and you don't know about the plans, that doesn't mean they don't have a plan.
Heath my friend. When you invest over $1,000,000.00 in something you have better have a plan Before you even sign that check.

Also my views were based on a my experience in business.

When I put up that kind of money I have better have a plan And a back-up plan, and another one just in case.

Todd Luck
Doomed to forever roam the black halls

Post by Todd Luck »

Brian Thomer wrote:

Yeah but who came up with that fine print? I don't know anything about that litho other than what was on that page you linked, but that's something set up through this site, right? Was it cleared with VEI or is it just another fan project?
Yes, it's a VF.com project that hits everyone over the head on the frontpage of VF.com and VC.com (where does all the money go from projects like that anyway?). In the rules for fan projects it says all of them on this site must be appoved by VEI so, yeah, it's definately cleared (not that VEI doesn't know what's going on on here anyway).
Last edited by Todd Luck on Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:04:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jedimarley
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.

Post by jedimarley »

Brian Thomer wrote:

The fine print.
© 2006 Valiant Entertainment, Inc. VALIANT and X-O MANOWAR are TM and © 2006 Valiant Entertainment, Inc.

jedimarley
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.

Post by jedimarley »

ManofTheAtom wrote:The question is, do you want VALIANT done right or do you want it done right now?

They need to do something to make money to do what you want done right.

Remember WWF and Nintendo comics??? That money made by those comics funded pre-unity.

BrianT

Post by BrianT »

jedimarley wrote:
Brian Thomer wrote:

The fine print.
© 2006 VALIANT Entertainment, Inc. VALIANT and X-O MANOWAR are TM and © 2006 VALIANT Entertainment, Inc.
I know what the fine print is, I just wanted to know who came up with it. Just because it's there doesn't necessarily mean it's accurate.

jedimarley
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.

Post by jedimarley »

Brian Thomer wrote:
jedimarley wrote:
Brian Thomer wrote:

The fine print.
© 2006 VALIANT Entertainment, Inc. VALIANT and X-O MANOWAR are TM and © 2006 VALIANT Entertainment, Inc.
I know what the fine print is, I just wanted to know who came up with it. Just because it's there doesn't necessarily mean it's accurate.
If it's not then Greg had better get a lawyer.

BrianT

Post by BrianT »

Todd Luck wrote:
Brian Thomer wrote:

Yes, it's a VF.com project that hits everyone over the head on the frontpage of VF.com and VC.com (where does all the money go from projects like that anyway?). In the rules for fan projects it says all of them on this site must be appoved by VEI so, yeah, it's definately cleared (not that VEI doesn't know what's going on on here anyway).
Sorry, I come right to the forums so I bypass all that (not that you're asking me, but chances are the money goes to paying the creators that made it and the other production costs, which could possibly include a license with VEI).

Thanks for the info about the fan projects. I agree that this is probably more like the eBay store and trying to show that they're using the mark, than it is a "cart before the horse" type deal.

VEI probably wants to at least get the Valiant mark settled before getting into anything too big. Such as toys or trades of the first Valiant incarnation.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

jedimarley wrote:
ManofTheAtom wrote:The question is, do you want VALIANT done right or do you want it done right now?

Remember WWF and Nintendo comics??? That money made by those comics funded pre-unity.
I don't disagree with you. I already posted my opinion on what comics they should do :)

viewtopic.php?t=12638
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

jedimarley
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.

Post by jedimarley »

ManofTheAtom wrote:
jedimarley wrote:

I don't disagree with you. I already posted my opinion on what comics they should do :)

viewtopic.php?t=12638
What you want is what I want. :thumb:

But they need to start making money so they can give us what we want.

Todd Luck

Post by Todd Luck »

Brian Thomer wrote:[

Sorry, I come right to the forums so I bypass all that (not that you're asking me, but chances are the money goes to paying the creators that made it and the other production costs, which could possibly include a license with VEI).
The lithograph started out as a fan commision (I guess that's why a good bit of it is Layton doing line-for-line copying from BWS and Leeke art) and then later became something sold through the site.

I'm sure Layton's permission was gotten for the project just like VEIs. I do wonder if they got royalties now or if all the money went to the fan(s) involved or to the site. I'm not familar with the inner workings of fan projects on here.

Shocker Toys
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by Shocker Toys »

I am confused about the whole rights thing. Gold Key went to Classic Media which we now have for action figures. Dino and investors got the rest of Valiant so why can't they license them out for toys as well. I did not know there was a trademark issue with the characters if they were bought properly. We just want to make a great comic book line like Marvel legends for the fans.
home of Indie Spotlight 6-7" Indie Comic Character action figures. http://www.shockertoys.com

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

jedimarley wrote:
ManofTheAtom wrote:
jedimarley wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=12638

Gotta spend money to make money...

Shocker Toys

Post by Shocker Toys »

ManofTheAtom wrote:Gotta spend money to make money...
Isnt that the truth =)
home of Indie Spotlight 6-7" Indie Comic Character action figures. http://www.shockertoys.com

jedimarley
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.

Post by jedimarley »

ManofTheAtom wrote:
jedimarley wrote:
ManofTheAtom wrote:
jedimarley wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=12638

Gotta spend money to make money...
They spent it. Now it's time to make some.