Rai: The History of the Valiant Universe

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012
Re: Rai: The History of the Valiant Universe

Post by ShadowTuga »

nonplayer wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:
nonplayer wrote:Only Losers quit!
:popcorn:
I'll never quit I don't read comics I read Valiant comics.
:popcorn: :popcorn:
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

myron wrote:IMO the inker/colors is also making a difference on these...for additional depth and "finesse" of figure...
I was thinking the same thing. The facial shadows and definition lines are inked for Henry and computer 'airbrushed' for Portela.

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

jmatt wrote:
myron wrote:IMO the inker/colors is also making a difference on these...for additional depth and "finesse" of figure...
I was thinking the same thing. The facial shadows and definition lines are inked for Henry and computer 'airbrushed' for Portela.
A colorist can add depth to the facial expressions but not change the shape and size of a head and in case of Ivar the jaw and chin area. You can't color that gigantic chin away anymore. It's right there! The problem is Ivar is supposed to be slim and Portela gave him a rather round and blown-up face especially in close-ups. This may work for Armstrong and future Gilad -who looks real nice with that white beard- but not so much for Ivar.

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

myron wrote:
DirtbagSailor wrote:Example of Henry vs Portela on Ivar and Neela.
IMO the inker/colors is also making a difference on these...for additional depth and "finesse" of figure...
I'm happy with characters looking a little different according to the illustrator's style. I can imagine that there'd be nothing worse for an artist than turning up to work on a cool comic and being told "you have to draw it just like it's always been drawn". Artists like wiggle-room y'know? :)

As long as the basic defining features are present and correct then it's all good I think, big jawlines or not. Or squashy little faces where everyone looks the same, in the case of Khari Evans :lol:
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Shadowman99 wrote:
myron wrote:
DirtbagSailor wrote:Example of Henry vs Portela on Ivar and Neela.
IMO the inker/colors is also making a difference on these...for additional depth and "finesse" of figure...
I'm happy with characters looking a little different according to the illustrator's style. I can imagine that there'd be nothing worse for an artist than turning up to work on a cool comic and being told "you have to draw it just like it's always been drawn". Artists like wiggle-room y'know? :)

As long as the basic defining features are present and correct then it's all good I think, big jawlines or not. Or squashy little faces where everyone looks the same, in the case of Khari Evans :lol:
or... Barry Windsor Smith.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Alright, while we're here I guess I may as well point out that while he is probably my favorite Valiant artist, Clayton Henry, from time to time, has a tendency to crowd all facial feature onto the lower one-half of a character's head, leaving this huge dome up top.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

jmatt wrote:Alright, while we're here I guess I may as well point out that while he is probably my favorite Valiant artist, Clayton Henry, from time to time, has a tendency to crowd all facial feature onto the lower one-half of a character's head, leaving this huge dome up top.
That's because our eyes actually are halfway down. :P

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

jmatt wrote:Alright, while we're here I guess I may as well point out that while he is probably my favorite Valiant artist, Clayton Henry, from time to time, has a tendency to crowd all facial feature onto the lower one-half of a character's head, leaving this huge dome up top.

The guy in the front is correct the bald chick is not. Phography things closer to the camera are stretched or out of purportion. His head is also angled down making his dome look bigger.
I Miss the good old days.

Shadowman99
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

nonplayer wrote:
The guy in the front is correct the bald chick is not. Phography things closer to the camera are stretched or out of purportion. His head is also angled down making his dome look bigger.
Mm, not so sure. I think the face is basically correct, and the head itself is more-or-less at worst: if *anything*, the head is perhaps ever so slightly too large in comparison to the face, but I think it's close enough to let it slide really.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

nonplayer wrote:The guy in the front is correct the bald chick is not.
Cloud is who I had in mind, the kids on the right are a little domey too, imo.