Bound books

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

IanAlexavier
Valiant. Back to basics.
Valiant. Back to basics.
Location: SE Michigan, 21 bound books done.. many more to go...

Post by IanAlexavier »

These are all great questions.. I want to know the answers too.
Thanks for all your help, Steve and ncameron!!

TheVisitor
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Re: Cost of binding

Post by TheVisitor »

Steve Topper wrote:I also make my own dust jackets using Photoshop. Those are on most of my books. The basic black with silver lettering is what comes from Library Binding.
Steve - any chance of providing some detailed information on creating the dust jackets ? Sweet set of books! :clap:

Thanks

Phil

MoonChild
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: BloodShot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Re: Cost of binding

Post by MoonChild »

he uses photo shop and some type of lamenant. He has some more tricks up his sleeve for that too, its great.
TheVisitor wrote:
Steve Topper wrote:I also make my own dust jackets using Photoshop. Those are on most of my books. The basic black with silver lettering is what comes from Library Binding.
Steve - any chance of providing some detailed information on creating the dust jackets ? Sweet set of books! :clap:

Thanks

Phil

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

Binding books makes me cry..... :(

But those are very nicely done.

:thumb:

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

i feel ya there killing rai 3

:cry: :cry: :cry:

MoonChild

Post by MoonChild »

You would only wanna bind the totally damaged books, not the collector's quality ones!

superman-prime wrote:i feel ya there killing rai 3

ncameron
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 92 ish
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Q & W "clang"
Favorite writer: VH1: Shooter

Post by ncameron »

MoonChild wrote:You would only wanna bind the totally damaged books, not the collector's quality ones!

superman-prime wrote:i feel ya there killing rai 3

True, true.
I want to make my Magnus set, I cannot willingly put my Magnus 1-8 with the coupons still in them to bind. But then again different strokes for different folks.

-neil

BloodOfHeroes
We clutch at lies 'n pray they’re truths
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kevin VanHook
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by BloodOfHeroes »

For those in the know:

Could they bind the TPBs in with the "regular" funnybooks? Might be an economical way to get Rai bound, at least.

BoH, who has a bit of interest in the topic

MoonChild

Post by MoonChild »

great idea :thumb:
BloodOfHeroes wrote:For those in the know:

Could they bind the TPBs in with the "regular" funnybooks? Might be an economical way to get Rai bound, at least.

BoH, who has a bit of interest in the topic

Steve Topper
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
More answers to more questions

Post by Steve Topper »

Do you send the books bagged and boarded?
No, I remove them from the bag and just stack them into a single pile, put a rubber band around them and ship them off. Other people have put their complete set in larger magazine sized bags and sent them that way. I haven't done that yet.
How do you indicate to the bindery the order in which the books are to be bound?
I actually put the comics in the exact order I want them bound. I don't rely on the binder to be able to pick issue numbering off the covers and I don't want him making any assumptions about how I want them bound. He's the binding expert; I'm the alleged comics expert.
If you are sending issues 1 through 20, it should be easy enough. But what about special issues that take place within the run? Or sending books from different series all together to be included in the same volume? Or my coverless Who's Who's?
Same answer as above. I put the books in the exact order I want them bound.

For example, my Chaos Effect book, I put all of the books in the order I thought they should be in. The Eternal Warrior/Archer & Armstrong flipbook I cut in half and flipped the Armstrong section so it was oriented correctly. In my Shadowman book, I put the Doctor Mirage crossover issue where it was supposed to be and he bound it where I put it. My rule of thumb is if you let somebody else do it, don't be surprised or upset if they don't do it your way. Also, my Shadowman Book 3 contains both the VH-2 Shadowman and the six VH-3(?) Shadowman books. Just put your set together anyway you want it bound, and they will bind it.
Could they bind the TPBs in with the "regular" funnybooks?
Absolutely. I haven't done it personally, but I have seen books bound that way. There may be an issue with the cardstock covers, but probably no more than some of the Yearbook covers.
You would only wanna bind the totally damaged books, not the collector's quality ones!
Well, mine weren't 9.8s but they certainly weren't totally damaged either. My thoughts on binding my collection were:
1. They were just sitting in my longboxes, bagged and boarded and effectively never read.
2. I really, really enjoy my Valiants and want to read them. All of them. I never really cared about the ACK-Lame name-calling or the X-O bicycle or post-Birthquake versus pre-Unity, or even Vincent and the Legion of Super-Heroes. These were and are great comics to read and enjoy. By binding them, I'm preserving them (not in CGC Mint condition for possible speculation/resale) but preserving them so that they can be read and enjoyed by me over and over and by my sons as well.
3. If I decide to sell them (not very likely during my lifetime), bound collections on eBay are garnering high dollars and might actually make the more common books more valuable.
and 4. My wife thinks these are a much better idea and more respectable than keeping shelves full of long boxes in my office. Since she doesn't complain, it must be a good thing! :D
any chance of providing some detailed information on creating the dust jackets ?
Yes there is. I put together a brief tutorial on how I make my dust jackets on the Marvel Masterworks Messge boards but it showed how I made the dust jacket for my bound Kull the COnqueror comics.
http://p206.ezboard.com/fmarvelmasterwo ... =523.topic

But if people want, I can modify the example to show how I made the Valiant dust jackets.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Do the binders slice the books down the middle or bind the books staples and all?

Steve Topper

Post by Steve Topper »

Do the binders slice the books down the middle or bind the books staples and all?
To my knowledge, the binder cuts the staples out. I've never actually watched the binding process, but the comics appear to be sewn together.
Last edited by Steve Topper on Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:18:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Mighty Drew
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Re: More answers to more questions

Post by The Mighty Drew »

Steve Topper wrote:My thoughts on binding my collection were:
1. They were just sitting in my longboxes, bagged and boarded and effectively never read.
2. I really, really enjoy my Valiants and want to read them. By binding them, I'm preserving them (not in CGC Mint condition for possible speculation/resale) but preserving them so that they can be read and enjoyed by me over and over and by my sons as well.
3. If I decide to sell them (not very likely during my lifetime),
4. My wife thinks these are a much better idea and more respectable than keeping shelves full of long boxes in my office. Since she doesn't complain, it must be a good thing! :D
These points just sealed the deal for me. I'm doing it. I'm going to send in my Who's Whos after the holidays to see how it turns out. If I like it, I already started making a list of other stuff I want bound.

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer all these questions. I think you may have started something here! :thumb:
19) VALIANT WILL RETURN.
It'll be a celebration of complete chaos and destruction.
It'll be a glorious time of weeping. The earth will shift on its axis.

worldsbestcomics
A CGC 9.8 pre-Unity complete set? Done.
A CGC 9.8 pre-Unity complete set?  Done.

Post by worldsbestcomics »

Steve Topper wrote:Below is the latest picture of my Valiant HC library.

This is very sweet. Those books look great and I could see bound volumes of common issues being much more popular than bagged/boarded/boxed copies. You've got me thinking :hm:

BloodOfHeroes
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kevin VanHook
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by BloodOfHeroes »

Thanks, Steve, for sharing so much. I think I have to do the Bloodshot volumes, at a minimum.

BoH

ncameron
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 92 ish
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Q & W "clang"
Favorite writer: VH1: Shooter
Re: More answers to more questions

Post by ncameron »

The Mighty Drew wrote:
These points just sealed the deal for me. I'm doing it. I'm going to send in my Who's Whos after the holidays to see how it turns out. If I like it, I already started making a list of other stuff I want bound.

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer all these questions. I think you may have started something here! :thumb:
Library Binding already has a cover die made up as its a popular project http://www.librarybinding.com

-neil

slym2none
a typical message board assassin
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

Daniel Jackson wrote:There is someone else around here who had some Valiant books bound, but I can't remember who it was.
Trent showed me some nicely bound Unity HC's when I met him in NYC...

:thumb:

-slym (R.I.P., my friend)

DJSpecter
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by DJSpecter »

myron wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote:There is someone else around here who had some Valiant books bound, but I can't remember who it was.
I was just thinking that too...in fact they were kicking around the idea of setting up a board-binding or some such...that was a couple years ago though iirc
I think you're actually remembering something I posted. I mentioned that in my uncle's house there is a shelf full of bound books. Plain red cover with the title and issue numbers on the spines. I was wondering at the time if it was part of a set that was done or if it was just his own method of showcasing the books in a way that they wouldn't be easily damaged. Clearly it was the second.

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

DJSpecter wrote:
myron wrote:
I was just thinking that too...in fact they were kicking around the idea of setting up a board-binding or some such...that was a couple years ago though iirc
I think you're actually remembering something I posted. I mentioned that in my uncle's house there is a shelf full of bound books. Plain red cover with the title and issue numbers on the spines. I was wondering at the time if it was part of a set that was done or if it was just his own method of showcasing the books in a way that they wouldn't be easily damaged. Clearly it was the second.
Hmm...I think you're right, it was probably you I was thinking of cause that story sounds familiar.

worldsbestcomics

Has anyone come across a bound volume of all 17 Chaos Effect books that was going to be sent to retailers who ordered at least 100 of all the Chaos books?

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

worldsbestcomics wrote:Has anyone come across a bound volume of all 17 Chaos Effect books that was going to be sent to retailers who ordered at least 100 of all the Chaos books?
If you're talking about the "thank you" edition that Valiant was planning, it never happened.

IanAlexavier
Valiant. Back to basics.
Valiant. Back to basics.
Location: SE Michigan, 21 bound books done.. many more to go...

Post by IanAlexavier »

So what do we need to do to have this Library Binding create a Logo for VALIANTs??

worldsbestcomics

Daniel Jackson wrote:
worldsbestcomics wrote:Has anyone come across a bound volume of all 17 Chaos Effect books that was going to be sent to retailers who ordered at least 100 of all the Chaos books?
If you're talking about the "thank you" edition that Valiant was planning, it never happened.
Yes, the "thank you edition" is what I was talking about. Were there any prototypes of the cover art or anything like that to give us an idea of what they were considering?

It sounds like a cool idea for a project :hm:

mrwoogieman
All this talk of 'snipping' is making me keep my legs crossed.
All this talk of 'snipping' is making me keep my legs crossed.

Post by mrwoogieman »

I saw some bound Valiant volumes on ebay the other day.

Didn't really make a note of which titles/issues however. They might still be running.

Rubiks-Q-Bert
Deathmate: Opinions vary. I liked it.
Deathmate: Opinions vary.  I liked it.
Favorite character: Master Darque

Post by Rubiks-Q-Bert »

mrwoogieman wrote:I saw some bound Valiant volumes on ebay the other day.

Didn't really make a note of which titles/issues however. They might still be running.
Hardbound Solar 1-60