ICV2 INTERVIEW: MATIAS TIMARCHI AND DANIELLE WARD OF ALIEN BOOKS

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.
Re: ICV2 INTERVIEW: MATIAS TIMARCHI AND DANIELLE WARD OF ALIEN BOOKS

Post by nycjadie »

daniellew61 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:09:33 pm
nycjadie wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:28:41 pm
daniellew61 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:23:26 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:11:31 pm
nycjadie wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:00:05 pm Im intrigued by the new format. I like “floppies.” But I know they are of the past. The “prestige” format is interesting. I don’t care if a book has ads or not. If they are cheaper, that’s great.

I like that they aren’t giving up on HC books.

I’m interested in reading Valiant in Spanish. I am trying to learn and get books in Mexico when I can, but they are rarely things I want to read. That would be awesome.

I hope these folks can make it work. They seem innovative and not afraid to take a chance on a company like Valiant, which has had some ups and downs with licensing and kickstarters.

I hope we can reap the rewards.
I've known since the '90s, when prestige format, 48-page perfect bound books like Kingdom Come were the rage at DC that they'd become the future of the format. I'm glad to see VALIANT going in that direction.

I haven't purchased Spanish reprints of American comics here in Mexico in decades. I used to get them at the corner newsstand. I have no idea where they could be sold now, especially prestige format comics like the ones Alien publishes. I must assume they're sold at comic stores, but I have no clue. I might look into it someday.
Moztros did them, but not single issues, just hardcovers. I don't think they sell them in Mexcio, I'll ask around for you, but just look up Moztros - I'm honestly not sure where they distribute - I've seen some other spanish long ago in the office stuff but I don't think it was the same company
Valiant at one point had a deal with Kamite in Mexico. I have a few of them but they were hard to get. It also didn’t last long. They are a great company. I bought some Saga and TMNT issues they produced, but I have a hard time finding them even in Mexico City.

I do have 4 Spanish Vakiant books from 2017. Not sure if they produced more.

I’d love some Spanish books that are my speed. I see mainly manga titles when I’m in CDMX, which is just not my jam.

I am rooting for you guys to knock it out of the park. Thanks for keeping my childhood alive and kicking.
if things pick up enough perhaps we can do multi-language release editions when it would make sense price wise aned d enough people seem interest

but thanks Jade Thanks!! It's been a battle, especially this year. I see how much it's sucked for you guys too, especially 1 book a month, it's going to start getting much better - as long as we all hang in there! I did, and Lysa did - and it's paying off so far ....but just remember one of the most important things we need right now as we start...the best thing to do - is to buy the comics please!!!

nycjadie
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

nycjadie wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:30:59 pm
daniellew61 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:09:33 pm
nycjadie wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:28:41 pm
daniellew61 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:23:26 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:11:31 pm
nycjadie wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:00:05 pm Im intrigued by the new format. I like “floppies.” But I know they are of the past. The “prestige” format is interesting. I don’t care if a book has ads or not. If they are cheaper, that’s great.

I like that they aren’t giving up on HC books.

I’m interested in reading Valiant in Spanish. I am trying to learn and get books in Mexico when I can, but they are rarely things I want to read. That would be awesome.

I hope these folks can make it work. They seem innovative and not afraid to take a chance on a company like Valiant, which has had some ups and downs with licensing and kickstarters.

I hope we can reap the rewards.
I've known since the '90s, when prestige format, 48-page perfect bound books like Kingdom Come were the rage at DC that they'd become the future of the format. I'm glad to see VALIANT going in that direction.

I haven't purchased Spanish reprints of American comics here in Mexico in decades. I used to get them at the corner newsstand. I have no idea where they could be sold now, especially prestige format comics like the ones Alien publishes. I must assume they're sold at comic stores, but I have no clue. I might look into it someday.
Moztros did them, but not single issues, just hardcovers. I don't think they sell them in Mexcio, I'll ask around for you, but just look up Moztros - I'm honestly not sure where they distribute - I've seen some other spanish long ago in the office stuff but I don't think it was the same company
Valiant at one point had a deal with Kamite in Mexico. I have a few of them but they were hard to get. It also didn’t last long. They are a great company. I bought some Saga and TMNT issues they produced, but I have a hard time finding them even in Mexico City.

I do have 4 Spanish Vakiant books from 2017. Not sure if they produced more.

I’d love some Spanish books that are my speed. I see mainly manga titles when I’m in CDMX, which is just not my jam.

I am rooting for you guys to knock it out of the park. Thanks for keeping my childhood alive and kicking.
if things pick up enough perhaps we can do multi-language release editions when it would make sense price wise aned d enough people seem interest

but thanks Jade Thanks!! It's been a battle, especially this year. I see how much it's sucked for you guys too, especially 1 book a month, it's going to start getting much better - as long as we all hang in there! I did, and Lysa did - and it's paying off so far ....but just remember one of the most important things we need right now as we start...the best thing to do - is to buy the comics please!!!
:thumb:

MartinAlien
Working for the Aliens
Working for the Aliens
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong

Post by MartinAlien »

Any new characters created within the Valiant universe will be owned by Valiant. Crossovers with existing characters, of course, are a different thing.
Working for the Aliens

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

MartinAlien wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:03:29 am Any new characters created within the Valiant universe will be owned by Valiant. Crossovers with existing characters, of course, are a different thing.
Cool.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

The Chosen 1
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis Larosa

Post by The Chosen 1 »

MartinAlien wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:03:29 am Any new characters created within the Valiant universe will be owned by Valiant. Crossovers with existing characters, of course, are a different thing.
Thanks Martin :)
The Force is with Me, I am One with the Force

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Great interview, glad to hear more detail about what’s coming and about the new shift in formats.

For me personally, I’m interested in seeing the prestige edition becoming the new standard for Valiant books via Alien. It may be a higher price point but that’s totally not a problem when the content is also increased. I can get behind that.

One of my all-time top favourite series, in all my 40 years or so of enjoying comics, is Lazarus by Greg Rucka & Michael Lark. They switched that series to a similar expanded prestige release a few years ago - and although I sincerely wish it came out a little more often than it does, I love the longer stories per issue in that format (and I’m patient enough to wait for it no matter how big of a time gap happens between each issue).

This should be fun so long as the stories are also high calibre!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

I will also mention that HC trade books are not a thing I’m typically interested in personally - so I won’t be looking to get into those HC collected editions. But I’m not much of a trade edition collector anyways so I’m not in that target market of collectors. I strongly prefer picking up regular or prestige edition initial release comics… and softcovers when I do get trades.

I do have some HC trades but it is an exception to the rule for me (I have the Lazarus HC’s, some Baltimore HC’s, and just a couple of the VEI era HC’s - that’s about it).
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;