LCS chatter

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

paradise
Major Valiant-supporting retailer
Major Valiant-supporting retailer
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar, Unity
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Bart Sears
Re: LCS chatter

Post by paradise »

Bone-A-Face wrote: don't get to the comic shop that regularly, but when I do, it's Ed's store, Collector's Paradise. There are Valiant Posters on the windows! I think you all know what a giant Valiant guy Ed is, and he puts them front and center. Although, I never really asked how sales were going? But he definitely hypes them!
Lol, buy Matt Kindt books already :-) (inside joke)

My sales are much higher than any other publisher past Marvel/DC/Image. Mid 20s/30s on most books, and double that on Unity. Trades are turning rather well also.
Edward
COLLECTOR'S PARADISE Stores:(Canoga Park, Pasadena, North Hollywood)
7131 Winnetka Ave - Canoga Park, CA - 91306 - 818-999-9455
319 S. Arroyo Parkway - Pasadena, CA - 91105 - 626-577-6694
5118 Lankershim Blvd - NoHo, CA - 91601 - 818-980-BOOK
http://ComicsAndCards.net

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

paradise wrote:
Bone-A-Face wrote: don't get to the comic shop that regularly, but when I do, it's Ed's store, Collector's Paradise. There are Valiant Posters on the windows! I think you all know what a giant Valiant guy Ed is, and he puts them front and center. Although, I never really asked how sales were going? But he definitely hypes them!

My sales are much higher than any other publisher past Marvel/DC/Image. Mid 20s/30s on most books, and double that on Unity. Trades are turning rather well also.
:thumb:

I think if stores would give other companies publicity, we'd see higher across the board sales. But, you know, guys like yourself are unique, Ed. Too many are like my local stores, more interested in Magic: The Gathering, or telling their customers they won't get rich buying comics. Umm..no kidding? How about ya just let me buy my books and be done with telling me why I'm stupid?

comicsyte95
It's Porktastic!!!
It's Porktastic!!!

Post by comicsyte95 »

xodacia81 wrote:
paradise wrote:

:thumb:

I think if stores would give other companies publicity, we'd see higher across the board sales. But, you know, guys like yourself are unique, Ed. Too many are like my local stores, more interested in Magic: The Gathering, or telling their customers they won't get rich buying comics. Umm..no kidding? How about ya just let me buy my books and be done with telling me why I'm stupid?
QFT
If I just can't be me ,and the Arrow isn't enough.. then maybe I should be Ra's al Ghul

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

In Cambridge, UK, there are apparently "a handful" of customers who are buying all (or near) the VEI books, but that's it.

There are usually one or two copies of one or two comics on the shelves, but they don't really order VEI stock for the shelves.

The staff don't really know much about Valiant, any time I've spoken to any of them in the past year. Seriously, I know more about Valiant than they do, which isn't good really, considering that:

- the staff don't know about the company/books, so have nothing to talk about = therefore they can't sell/push the books
- they barely order enough stock to put one or two on the shelves
- they don't have a SINGLE VEI TPB on the shelves
- the branch aren't allowed to put up posters unless told by head office, and that's if they even get sent them to begin with

All in all, it seems to be really hard for VEI to sell at Forbidden Planet UK, due to the above factors :(

The staff do all aknowledge the quality of the comics at least. Probably from scanning them from time to time. Better than nothing.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Shadowman99 wrote:In Cambridge, UK, there are apparently "a handful" of customers who are buying all (or near) the VEI books, but that's it.

There are usually one or two copies of one or two comics on the shelves, but they don't really order VEI stock for the shelves.

The staff don't really know much about Valiant, any time I've spoken to any of them in the past year. Seriously, I know more about Valiant than they do, which isn't good really, considering that:

- the staff don't know about the company/books, so have nothing to talk about = therefore they can't sell/push the books
- they barely order enough stock to put one or two on the shelves
- they don't have a SINGLE VEI TPB on the shelves
- the branch aren't allowed to put up posters unless told by head office, and that's if they even get sent them to begin with

All in all, it seems to be really hard for VEI to sell at Forbidden Planet UK, due to the above factors :(

The staff do all aknowledge the quality of the comics at least. Probably from scanning them from time to time. Better than nothing.
I feel you. Except...The one store here is similar in terms of attitude. One of the workers recently said "in all the world, you do realize there's maybe 5 other people that care about that company besides you, right?" I'm not a violent person, but I seriously felt like spitting nails into his forehead.

The reason DC & Marvel are able to survive isn't just name recognition, massive financial backing and history, but that the "owners/workers" in the stores keep pushing people towards them, away from others. On the basis of "Well, I don't want to sell what isn't selling"-meaning, what, you wouln't like new sales or additional ones?

These workers don't want to give anyone but Marvel and DC a chance. The Marvel/DC cult is enough to make me vomit. It's why I've always supported Valiant, Dark Horse, Image and indy books by micropresses. It is why when I pick up a DC book, it's typically Vertigo-outside of Green Lantern, which I've given up on-and why I've never cared for Marvel.

Sure, the movies are fun. Mostly. But the comics? The fans? Horrible. Go into any comic convention and mention anything but Marvel or DC to any retailer and you will likely get puzzled or even angry responses. Maybe it's just me, or my area, but I see nothing but *SQUEE* getting piled on top of the non "Big Two" companies.

So, do what you can to raise the profile. I have. I'm fairly certain I'm the biggest Valiant fan in the county. Maybe not the state, but the county. How micro-vision does a retailer have to be to think that a nationwide response can be based on what happens at small store in a decaying, midsized town?

The collapse of the comic industry in the 90s wasn't just "fan" speculation fueled or because companies put out too many meaningless books. It's too many dip sharts being involved on the retail end. 20 years later, the ones that didn't lose their sweater with the nacho stains are sitting there in their neckbeards and feeling sorry for themselves because they made bad decisions and can't get over it.

Boo dee *SQUEE* hoo.