XO Manowar #16 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

AnthonyF
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: TOYO HARADA
Favorite title: HARBINGER
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Re: XO Manowar #16 Discussion

Post by AnthonyF »

Fun issue, I enjoyed seeing more of Gilad's time with the Visigoth's.

Gilad seems to have no knowledge of the X-O armor's potential, and of the Vine. That was a little surprising. Or maybe he knows about alien races, but didn't know Aric got mixed in with them.

When they brawled, they weren't trying to kill each other. Seeing Aric as such a Naive leader is such a departure from the VH1 series, where he ran a company(!?) with Ken's help. This version does not have the wisdom of Solomon, he still has a lot of growing up to do.

AnthonyF
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: TOYO HARADA
Favorite title: HARBINGER
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry

Post by AnthonyF »

Peter wrote: I feel sorry for Aric though, his little ray of love with Saana may be very short lived as I feel Gilad's earlier words regarding the worse fear, is that of losing everyone around you, maybe turn out to be prophetic.

This is going to be big.

:thumb:

yep, serious foreshadowing there!

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

Blood of Heroes wrote:
FormerReader wrote:Why would he do anything, but become even more unreasonable?
Are you talking about how I get when I've been drinking???
Haha. :clap:

Dallow Spicer1
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Very solid issue laying the foundations for bigger things down the line. VDitti continues to write complex characters with unpredictable interactions. As with Harbinger, the XO story has ambiguity in terms of who are the good guys and who are the bad guys, which keeps it interesting.
Also interesting to compare and contrast VDitti's treatment of Eternal Warrior with FVL's interpretation in Archer & Armstrong.

I must also echo the comments of those who praise (fellow Brit) Lee Garbett's pencils, he consistently does a top notch job and I hope he stays around on XO or at least another Valiant book for a long time!

3.5/5 (but with anticipated 5/5 issues just around the corner)! :thumb:

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Peter wrote:It was nice to see Gilad's expression when Aric told him what had happened to him since they had last met. Up until that point Gilad was all, I'm the all knowing teacher, but Aric's revelation did throw him off a bit, ...
So true.

Baramos
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.

Post by Baramos »

Absolutely hilarious that Aric is aware of space travel and advanced suits of armor but doesn't think to harness the power of a drill for that well, or a tractor for that field they're planting. Definitely reminds me of the old Valiant Aric with the whole "THESE WIZARDS ALL LIVE IN CASTLES!" or whatever (looking at a upper middle-class house).

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Baramos wrote:Absolutely hilarious that Aric is aware of space travel and advanced suits of armor but doesn't think to harness the power of a drill for that well, or a tractor for that field they're planting. Definitely reminds me of the old Valiant Aric with the whole "THESE WIZARDS ALL LIVE IN CASTLES!" or whatever (looking at a upper middle-class house).
I think its because he wants to recreate his world from 16 centuries ago.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Baramos

Post by Baramos »

Yeah, he clearly doesn't believe in modern political states, so maybe he doesn't believe in all this technology mumbo jumbo (unless it's a weapon).

I really dig the "man out of time" theme with this arc, since the first two didn't quite have time to get into it (Enter Ninjak had a few moments, but only moments).

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Baramos wrote:Absolutely hilarious that Aric is aware of space travel and advanced suits of armor but doesn't think to harness the power of a drill for that well, or a tractor for that field they're planting.
Yeah was thinking about that as well. A wise king (or even one with common sense) would employ whatever technology he encountered to aid his people. But if so, then they may as well just become citizens of the modern era and melt into the population.

That said, I get the idea that he wants to keep "the old ways".

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

jmatt wrote:
Baramos wrote:Absolutely hilarious that Aric is aware of space travel and advanced suits of armor but doesn't think to harness the power of a drill for that well, or a tractor for that field they're planting.
Yeah was thinking about that as well. A wise king (or even one with common sense) would employ whatever technology he encountered to aid his people. But if so, then they may as well just become citizens of the modern era and melt into the population.

So, VEI Aric is a Mennonite?

He just seems like an idiot that needs a good *SQUEE* kicking to me.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

lorddunlow wrote:
jmatt wrote:

So, VEI Aric is a Mennonite?

He just seems like an idiot that needs a good *SQUEE* kicking to me.
Yeah! Damn them and their farm fresh food!

They should develop an app instead :!:

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

jmatt wrote:

Also, keeping the freed slaves busy doing tasks they are accustomed to seems a good way to take their collective minds off landing in a strange world.

Heath
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

oops...
I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Blood of Heroes wrote:
FormerReader wrote:Why would he do anything, but become even more unreasonable?
Are you talking about how I get when I've been drinking???
Like before or after you bust out the riding lawnmower to avoid getting a DWI?

Big Red
Valiant fan since: Before the Anni-Padda...
Favorite character: Divinity, X-O, & Bloodshot
Favorite title: Divinity
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by Big Red »

Bone-A-Fach-ee wrote:First of all, Lee Garbett is a beast! The art in this issue is incredible!
Yeah, this issue settles it...

Lee Garbett needs to be the regular X-O artist. Not Cary Nord.
Favorite books: Black Hammer, Bloodshot, Divinity, Justice League Dark, Marvel Two-In-One, Thor.

retrovideogameaddict
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me

Post by retrovideogameaddict »

The Gilad and Aric struggle was fun to watch, I'm glad that Aric got the upper hand when he snapped EW's arm but I was sad to see him break the crown. All in all this was a wonderful issue and one of my favorites in this series so far, I like that Aric has seemed to settle and I'm liking this Gilad character quite a bit and I hope to see more of him shortly.

I am a bit worried about this new relationship Aric has found with Saana though, especially since she shot him a VERY disturbing look right around the time the two first met. It left me very suspicious.....

Anyone else?
Check me out on Twitter - @OfficialRVGA
My retro gaming & comic book blog: http://theretrovideogameaddict.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - 8/14/13 The History of Atari.

CallMeBloodshot
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Venditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by CallMeBloodshot »

Well because my LCS keeps screwing up with my Valiant titles I had to wait to get this one. I hate that because I miss on the conversations here. Same goes for Shadowman #10. I won't get that thing til like the end of next week now because they (or who they get it from) messed it up. That's twice in a row thats happened for me with Shadowman! ARG rage :!:

Anyway, this was a fine issue. Rather forgettable in the grand scheme of things. This could have been a single issue thing instead of dragging it out for 2, but I love V-Ditti's writing both here and over on Green Lantern, so I can't complain. I even like issues that come between arcs. They provide a necessary pause and offer up some contemplation for our main character. Oh, and I loved Aric just destroying Gilad :clap:

I really enjoy Lee Garbett's artwork. He's always on point and does solid work.

3.5/5

String

Post by String »

jmatt wrote:

I would agree with that, but we also have to consider the time difference. How well can people from the 5th century adapt to 21st century technology? With no training and no knowledge of how this tech functions and what it can do? So I don't fault them for going back to what they know to how to do. (Although I have to wonder, if they are farming, did they bring back any of the Vine plants/fruits with them?)

A tad late, but I thought this was an excellent issue, really highlighting the essence and relationship between Gilad and Aric. Aric is bull-headed, confident in his ability and power to achieve and recreate his goals. I fear the dire costs that will be incurred when Gilad's warnings to him come true. The scene with Aric holding the crushed crown was really poignant.

apainter
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by apainter »

One little thing that bothered me in this issue is Gilad fighting against Aric and his lightning sword. That sword easily slices through the Nin-jet and alien death machines, yet Gilad's piece of pig-iron is able to smash against it like it's a solid object not made of burning plasma.

Sure, maybe Gilad came prepared with some secret mystical weapon to counter lighting swords, but there was no indication that in the story.

Art

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

apainter wrote:One little thing that bothered me in this issue is Gilad fighting against Aric and his lightning sword. That sword easily slices through the Nin-jet and alien death machines, yet Gilad's piece of pig-iron is able to smash against it like it's a solid object not made of burning plasma.

Sure, maybe Gilad came prepared with some secret mystical weapon to counter lighting swords, but there was no indication that in the story.

Art
Maybe he put his qi in the sword.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

FormerReader

Post by FormerReader »

apainter wrote:One little thing that bothered me in this issue is Gilad fighting against Aric and his lightning sword. That sword easily slices through the Nin-jet and alien death machines, yet Gilad's piece of pig-iron is able to smash against it like it's a solid object not made of burning plasma.

Art
Good point! I didn't catch that.