Solar #2 art from Roger Robinson now in color!

The "Gold Key Three" from publications outside of the Valiant universe.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes

Post by Knightt »

sanman wrote:Definitely an improvement but the book looks like it was inked with a broad tip Sharpie marker. :?
I think that is the tear point right there.

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

Nice to see accurate anatomy and clear storytelling though. I still don't know what was happening in some of those fight scenes in the first issue.

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

sanman wrote:Definitely an improvement but the book looks like it was inked with a broad tip Sharpie marker. :?
There is this one guy who is just terrific...I wonder if he's busy.

Anyone know how to get ahold of Bob Layton? :oops:

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

dave wrote:

Hmm, I wonder which would have a more likely chance of happening...

Layton working with VEI again or Layton working with Jim Shooter on anything? :hm:

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Knightt wrote:I don't know if I like this art... all that teeth gritting with Solar. This Solar is all about concentration and seems pretty calm. Of course, the bad guy looks pretty fierce but I think I like issue #1 art better. I mean it was ok for me... now Magnus on the other hand, BOO YAA !!!

IMO
This guy did "the Web", right? The art in that book was kind of rough and not really the kind of clean art I would think of for Solar.

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

Egads! That art is not very good still. Ugh.

That villain is just a terribly designed character. No imagination at all.

tmcneil82
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by tmcneil82 »

It kind of reminds me of that school project from elementary or whatever when you paint a board, then scrape the paint away to leave an image.

x-omatic
Did someone call for a Hired Gun?

Post by x-omatic »

Really don't like the art. Heck, I think Stu and I could do a better job than that.
http://chrismorrillart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jbtheo
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by jbtheo »

I don't know about that. Bob Layton didn't exactly, allegedly, stand by Jim Shooter when he left Valiant, and they never worked together again after that.
Brother J wrote:
dave wrote:

Hmm, I wonder which would have a more likely chance of happening...

Layton working with VEI again or Layton working with Jim Shooter on anything? :hm:

Brother J

Post by Brother J »

jbtheo wrote:I don't know about that. Bob Layton didn't exactly, allegedly, stand by Jim Shooter when he left Valiant, and they never worked together again after that.
Yeah, that was what I was saying, Layton working either with Shooter or working again with VEI will likely happen once hell freezes over.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Brother J wrote:
jbtheo wrote:I don't know about that. Bob Layton didn't exactly, allegedly, stand by Jim Shooter when he left Valiant, and they never worked together again after that.
Yeah, that was what I was saying, Layton working either with Shooter or working again with VEI will likely happen once hell freezes over.
Yeah we've been over this 100 times.

Brother J

Post by Brother J »

Knightt wrote:
Brother J wrote:
...and I know that, my original response was referring to Dave jokingly mentioning Layton as a possible inker for the Dark Horse books, so I also made a joking post about the likelyhood of that happening. Didn't mean for it to go any further than that.

jbtheo

Post by jbtheo »

Guess I'll take the blame for that one. Sorry! :oops:
Brother J wrote:
Knightt wrote:
Brother J wrote:
...and I know that, my original response was referring to Dave jokingly mentioning Layton as a possible inker for the Dark Horse books, so I also made a joking post about the likelyhood of that happening. Didn't mean for it to go any further than that.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Brother J wrote:
Knightt wrote:
Brother J wrote:
Well then I guess there is something I don't know myself then... Layton won't work with Dark Horse ? IMO, Dark Horse's stock is going up and up everyday. I would certainly be more likely to read more of DK's books than Marvel's right now.

Brother J

Post by Brother J »

Knightt wrote:
Brother J wrote:
Knightt wrote:
Brother J wrote:
Well then I guess there is something I don't know myself then... Layton won't work with Dark Horse ? IMO, Dark Horse's stock is going up and up everyday. I would certainly be more likely to read more of DK's books than Marvel's right now.
I'm referring to him working on the Dark Horse books being helmed by Shooter.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I don't mind the thick inks here. Has a Frank Miller feel to it.

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Ryan wrote:I don't mind the thick inks here. Has a Frank Miller feel to it.
If they just use it for the battle scenes, I don't mind it either. I would not want to see an entire book done that way though.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Daniel Jackson wrote:
Ryan wrote:I don't mind the thick inks here. Has a Frank Miller feel to it.
If they just use it for the battle scenes, I don't mind it either. I would not want to see an entire book done that way though.
good point, we've only seen action scenes so far. Will be interesting to see how he handles talking scenes and backgrounds. Looks like it will be a huge improvement.

x-omatic

Post by x-omatic »

I don't think I will picking the Solar books up. Just don't like the art or coloring. The art seems rushed or unfinished to me. More like layouts than finished work. The coloring seems too bright and flashy for the style of art. Just doesn't seem to fit well together. Might be ok for a web comic but not for something I want to spend money on.
http://chrismorrillart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

400yrs
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

x-omatic wrote:I don't think I will picking the Solar books up. Just don't like the art or coloring. The art seems rushed or unfinished to me. More like layouts than finished work. The coloring seems too bright and flashy for the style of art. Just doesn't seem to fit well together. Might be ok for a web comic but not for something I want to spend money on.
Yeah, I'm starting to think I should take these off my pre-order now.

orbitalshift
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by orbitalshift »

tfaw.com has Doctor Solar #2 preview up. The art to me is substantially better than issue #1, and I'm certain that Robinson was rushed doing this issue as he had to take over for Calero's train wreck. I like this art, is it Windsor Smith quality, no, but that could be said about the vast majority of comics. I expect Robinson's work will improve as he has more time and familiarity with the characters. I'm in it for the story. I've waited along time to read new Jim Shooter penned stories, so for me, I'm just glad to have them.

http://www.tfaw.com/First-Looks/Doctor- ... did=365675

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator
using a Welsh to American translator

Post by ian_house »

I do like that. Seems to match the covers a little more too.

MoonChild
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: BloodShot

Post by MoonChild »

never liked that kind of art style but i'll give it a shot..
orbitalshift wrote:tfaw.com has Doctor Solar #2 preview up. The art to me is substantially better than issue #1, and I'm certain that Robinson was rushed doing this issue as he had to take over for Calero's train wreck. I like this art, is it Windsor Smith quality, no, but that could be said about the vast majority of comics. I expect Robinson's work will improve as he has more time and familiarity with the characters. I'm in it for the story. I've waited along time to read new Jim Shooter penned stories, so for me, I'm just glad to have them.

http://www.tfaw.com/First-Looks/Doctor- ... did=365675

Second_Death

Post by Second_Death »

I prefer Robinson's action sequences but pages where there is no action with heavy dialogue, I prefer Calero's style. For instance, I prefer Calero's interpretation of Whit. Maybe my mind will change when the entire book is available to critique.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Here's those pages in color. Changes it a lot :wink:

Coming out Wednesday!!