What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

ok...when I was rooting around for some of my First comic runs, I came across the Dark Phoenix TPB, Days of Future Past and From the Ashes...I gotta say that I had forgotten how GOOD those books were... :thumb:
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

cobra_commander
Dude...one word - Pterodactyls!

Post by cobra_commander »

Just finished reading...Daredevil 88-93...the Devil takes a ride story arc...

This is a great reason to be reading new comics...first time I've been interested in reading Daredevil since the Frank Miller stuff

:thumb:

Zool
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Zool »

I would emplore you all to take a look at the less fashionable end of the Marvel spectrum and pick up a copy or two of X-Factor.

Peter David is one of those writers who has fallen from favour recently, which is a shame because he has very much defined a few characters in the modern Marvel Universe. Not least; the Hulk, Quicksilver and Jamie Madrox.

And Jamie Madrox is front and centre here, along with other second stringers (Strong Guy, Rictor, Monet etc) given room to breath and evolve.

The thrust of the recent stories has been that Madrox had unleashed a many dupes on the world in the past, allowing them time to live their own lives, and is now going around picking them up as he feels he is missing aspects of his personality, and it's great.

Try it.
Last edited by Zool on Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:30:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Zool wrote:I would emplore you all to take a look at the less fashionable end of the Marvel spectrum and pick up a copy or two of X-Factor.

Peter David is one of those writers who has fallen from favour recently, which is a shame because he has very much defined a few characters in the modern Marvel Universe. Not least; the Hulk, Quicksilver and Jamie Madrox.

And Jamie Madrox is front and centre here, along with other second stringers (String Guy, Rictor, Monet etc) given room to breath and evolve.

The thrust of the recent stories has been that Madrox had unleashed a many dupes on the world in the past, allowing them time to live their own lives, and is now going around picking them up as he feels he is missing aspects of his personality, and it's great.

Try it.
X-Factor was always one of my favourite X-books in almost every incarnation. Madrox and Random (now running around with that tool Exodus) were my favourite characters in the book. I picked up X-Factor #14 out of the current run and it's now on my pull list. The current arc is in the top 2 current arcs running in Marvel (the other one is in X-Men, I like the team made up almost entirely of former villains). And the sub-plot with Siryn and Monet is fun too.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

I just started a run on Astro City #16-22.

I just started #16, last night.......

I can't express how good I think Astro City is...... :thumb:

dellamorte
Zombies and nightstand nightmares

Post by dellamorte »

Elveen wrote:I just started a run on Astro City #16-22.

Astro City is always a good read, I don't think I've ever been let down by that book.

Fatal Rose
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by Fatal Rose »

I really hope the Winter Soldier gets his own series.

Zool

Post by Zool »

Fatal Rose wrote:I really hope the Winter Soldier gets his own series.
It's not ongoing I think, but click.

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

Zool wrote:
I hope he doesn't. He is an integral part of the Cap series. I think he is involved enough in that book. Having his own regular series would mess up the chemistry of Cap and water the character down.

The one-shot was awesome though. :thumb:
ASM Crossover Home

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

400yrs wrote:
Zool wrote:
I hope he doesn't. He is an integral part of the Cap series. I think he is involved enough in that book. Having his own regular series would mess up the chemistry of Cap and water the character down.

The one-shot was awesome though. :thumb:
I suspect more likely (temporarily) replacing Cap.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

Elveen
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

I just finished the Steeljack story line in Astro City.

It was great. If you have not read it, get it, and quick.

I have one more Astro City to finish..... #22, then it will be on to Local Heroes.

I could not reccomend a book any more than Astro City.

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

Been reading Justice League (THAT Justice League) on and off for about a month now.....just started #8 last night.

I can't believe how good it is STILL.

Yay Giffen & DeMatteis.

Also readin DK2.

Pretty "doesn't make much sense".

cobra_commander

Jay Tomio wrote:Still moving along in my JOE reading. Introduction of Flint and Footloose, Storm Storm Shadow training Billy, Stalker leading a team in South America, some Hovercraft vs. Hydrofoils, and the beginnings of Cobra Island!
:hm:

I think I'm gonna get started on my Joe comic collection soon too...you got any crappy "VF" doubles you want to sell...just let me know

leonmallett
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

Jay Tomio wrote:I just read the Sentry TPB. I just find it impossible to find this character interesting on any level. Excluding throwing Carnage into the sun in Avenger, Sentry has never done anything remotely entertaining or compelling which is a shame for probably the single most powerful earth resident in the Marvel U (who doesn't have an effect on anything).

I thought Romita's art was unusually devoid of any emotion and Jenkin's writing is just heading everywhere but going nowhere in this book IMHO.
I think I'm gonna get started on my Joe comic collection soon too...you got any crappy "VF" doubles you want to sell...just let me know
If you would have told me last week I had maybe like 35-40 of them but I recently bought a lot and upgraded (thus threw the rest away).
The Sentry series was dull, dull, dull. You sum it up well saying stuff seemed to be happening but that nothing did. My set is going on ebay soon...
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

Heath
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

Jay Tomio wrote:If you would have told me last week I had maybe like 35-40 of them but I recently bought a lot and upgraded (thus threw the rest away).
:!: Why do people throw away comic books? Give them away at least! Give them to a friend's kids, or even put them in a box with a big sign saying "FREE Comic Books!" on it and set it by the curb on your way out to work one morning. Please don't toss them in the trash!
I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

mavros
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by mavros »

Jay Tomio wrote:
Give them to a friend's kids, or even put them in a box with a big sign saying "FREE Comic Books!" on it and set it by the curb on your way out to work one morning. Please don't toss them in the trash!
Nobody on my block speaks or reads English and typically I have a legitimate disdain for people under the age of 22 that I'm not legally responsible for. :D
Maybe drop them off at the local school/library/TEFL centre?

Zool

Post by Zool »

Jay Tomio wrote:I just read the Sentry TPB. I just find it impossible to find this character interesting on any level. Excluding throwing Carnage into the sun in Avenger, Sentry has never done anything remotely entertaining or compelling which is a shame for probably the single most powerful earth resident in the Marvel U (who doesn't have an effect on anything).
The Sentry needs a good story or two, fast, or I suspect he'll be bundled offscreen (into space or something) until someone works out how to make 'forgotten Superman' work in the Marvel U.

His presence currently is hilariously ignored by everyone, including his comrades... just check out the last issue of Young Avengers...

Both the Skrull and Kree armada's turn up over Manhattan, threatening to go to war over the half Skrull/Kree prince known as Hulkling. The New Avengers show up to protect earth from these warring cosmic powers and what does Captain America order the Sentry to do?... take the injured Patriot to the hospital... now that's how to use the power of a million exploding suns.

Seriously Sentry, get a story and fast... maybe a haircut too.

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

Just finished reading Sandman #9-11. Still awesome, after all these years. Gonna read #12 sometime today.

Also have X-Men #200-201 sitting on the nightstand to read. Finally.

#175-199 were really, really lame, crappy, and silly.

Come to think of it, everything after Days of Future Past were really lame, crappy, and silly.

Sigh.

Also read Sea of Red #1...not bad. Wayyy too short for $3.

dellamorte

Post by dellamorte »

Just read the first three issues of Ultimate Power and it's pretty good stuff so far. Great art by Greg Land and that Bendis guy is an ok writer I guess. If you like any of the Ultimate books (Slym you really should try some of these) or Squadron Supreme than this book is for you.

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

Oh, also read Ult FF #30-32.

It was...eh. Plot holes, stretched the limits of disbelief, and wayyyy too fast.

But not horrific.

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

Chiclo wrote:X-Factor was always one of my favourite X-books in almost every incarnation. Madrox and Random (now running around with that tool Exodus) were my favourite characters in the book. I picked up X-Factor #14 out of the current run and it's now on my pull list. The current arc is in the top 2 current arcs running in Marvel (the other one is in X-Men, I like the team made up almost entirely of former villains). And the sub-plot with Siryn and Monet is fun too.
It's taken me probably 4 years of casual searching and a lot of patience, but I've put together a relatively decent grade X-Factor run out of the .25 bins (well they started out as the .25 bins and now they are generally the .50 bins). I'm only missing a few issues, and coincidentally owned the key X-Factor issues from years before I started the bargain bin hunt to complete the run (i.e. first Archangel, first Apoc, the Portacio baby Cable issues, etc).

I put together my Whacko run this way as well. Lots of patience, but over time they all end up in the bargain bins.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

IMJ wrote:
Chiclo wrote:X-Factor was always one of my favourite X-books in almost every incarnation. Madrox and Random (now running around with that tool Exodus) were my favourite characters in the book. I picked up X-Factor #14 out of the current run and it's now on my pull list. The current arc is in the top 2 current arcs running in Marvel (the other one is in X-Men, I like the team made up almost entirely of former villains). And the sub-plot with Siryn and Monet is fun too.
It's taken me probably 4 years of casual searching and a lot of patience, but I've put together a relatively decent grade X-Factor run out of the .25 bins (well they started out as the .25 bins and now they are generally the .50 bins). I'm only missing a few issues, and coincidentally owned the key X-Factor issues from years before I started the bargain bin hunt to complete the run (i.e. first Archangel, first Apoc, the Portacio baby Cable issues, etc).

I put together my Whacko run this way as well. Lots of patience, but over time they all end up in the bargain bins.
I am not aware of a comic-related bargain bin within 250 miles of here. That radius does include Witchita Falls, and I've not had a chance to scour there for a comic shop.

I'd love to see one someday, though.

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

dellamorte wrote:
Elveen wrote:I just started a run on Astro City #16-22.

Astro City is always a good read, I don't think I've ever been let down by that book.
I have....Astro City #23.....24.....25.....26.....27.....28.....

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

IMJ wrote:

Man oh man....X-Factor #63-69 have some of THE MOST BEAUTIFUL ART I have EVER seen. I bought the splash page to #66 for $50....sold it for $75. Should never have sold it, BUT.....it had no X-Factor members....

cobra_commander

ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:
IMJ wrote:

Man oh man....X-Factor #63-69 have some of THE MOST BEAUTIFUL ART I have EVER seen. I bought the splash page to #66 for $50....sold it for $75. Should never have sold it, BUT.....it had no X-Factor members....
What was on it then? :hm: