Magnus 1 Reviews

The "Gold Key Three" from publications outside of the Valiant universe.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Ryan wrote:Yeah gotta go with the white boots. Not sure why they changed that when everything else looks the same. Issue 2 out yet? Feels like a long wait
Not yet.

Donovan
...formerly The Beyonder
...formerly The Beyonder
Valiant fan since: Unity. The first time.
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: VEI Quantum & Woody
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Romulo Fajardo

Post by Donovan »

Not an official review, but I posted a few comments on Magnus #1 on my blog:

Review: Magnus, Robot Fighter #1 - Dark Horse Comics

Phantom..
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Location: The Royal Valiant Fans thank Dino and Svair for their kindness!

Post by Phantom.. »

ian_house wrote:Sorry misread, didn't notice that you said you'd ordered one. Who was the seller?
The guy is usaulyy good. WIll get them name. something like diposable heroes.

He sent a message to ebay, that I haven't read yet.
He sent it yesterday.

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator
using a Welsh to American translator

Post by ian_house »

Phantom. wrote:
ian_house wrote:Sorry misread, didn't notice that you said you'd ordered one. Who was the seller?
The guy is usaulyy good. WIll get them name. something like diposable heroes.

He sent a message to ebay, that I haven't read yet.
He sent it yesterday.
I've bought from him before. Don't like the way he lists books he doesn't have in hand yet though.

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Read the first issue today and I did enjoy the book. It had a better flow and direction than Solar #1 and it seems to me Jim is having an easier time writing for Magnus. The interior art was pretty good and I like that once again Jim is honoring the GK approach to the character instead of trying some radical new approach like so many others would have been tempted to do.

Like Solar, I wish the issue would have been totally devoted to the new material though. It's a shame that half the issue was taken up with an old story.

I do miss the Rai influence on the title. It was a significant part of what Magnus so interesting for me in the VU. I hope Jim can find something to fill that void because I think the book needs that element if DH hopes to have a long run with the title.

yardstick
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by yardstick »

eternalwarrior wrote:I must be the only one who liked :atomic: better.
IDK this Magnus issue just didn't do it for me. It was too much of a departure from the Valiant stuff that i love. I guess i just want the old hand coloring and the valiant supporting cast. Does anyone know if shooter plans to tie the books into one universe? That was my favorite part about the early valiant stuff. I know it's early with only a couple of books out, but i really want an early Valiant like universe to come from this....
I liked Solar (overall) better than Magnus, but the Magnus #1, was better than the Solar #1.

Wasn't it a while back that Dark Horse had commented about doing a superhero line?

yardstick

Post by yardstick »

Ryan wrote:
eternalwarrior wrote:Does anyone know if shooter plans to tie the books into one universe?
That's the plan. Lovejoy industries has already been mentioned in both Solar and Magnus and seems to have a big role in this new Universe. Give it time, I'm sure he wants to establish the characters before any big crossing over happens :thumb:
This is the second comment I have seen that makes me think this is a very close parallel to the Valiant startup. That was what...Harbinger, Magnus, Rai and Solar right? And this is Solar, Magnus, Turok and Samson...

Remember, according to one of the other threads, Shooter was ousted in April 1993. That's PRE-UNITY, isnt it? If so, he would not have had the opportunity to develop Turok, who was introduced during Unity!

yardstick

Post by yardstick »

Daniel Jackson wrote:
eternalwarrior wrote:yeah. makes sense. I just want the old valiant back so bad i can taste it lol
It's a shame VEI couldn't secure the GK rights, cause it would have been great to have all of the characters in one universe again. At least Shooter is behind the helm with the Dark Horse versions, so that's something at least.
5:1 Dark Horse buys out VEI rights to the characters since VEI isnt doing much with them...

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes
Master of the Dead Universes

Post by Knightt »

yardstick wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote:
eternalwarrior wrote:yeah. makes sense. I just want the old valiant back so bad i can taste it lol
It's a shame VEI couldn't secure the GK rights, cause it would have been great to have all of the characters in one universe again. At least Shooter is behind the helm with the Dark Horse versions, so that's something at least.
5:1 Dark Horse buys out VEI rights to the characters since VEI isnt doing much with them...
I wouldn't mind that at all at this point. Then they could put Shooter back on the books and treat him right this time around.

Dark Horse looks to have the wherewithal to take a 'Dead Universe' or line of characters and breath life back into them and with Shooter at the helm, some cool covers and the right amount of storytelling it could be great again.

I am sure that the money behind VEI would like to see something of a return on their investment by this time. Looks like a lot of money is tied up right now without any public movement forward.

jridd28
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by jridd28 »

Knightt wrote:
yardstick wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote:
I wouldn't mind that at all at this point. Then they could put Shooter back on the books and treat him right this time around.

Dark Horse looks to have the wherewithal to take a 'Dead Universe' or line of characters and breath life back into them and with Shooter at the helm, some cool covers and the right amount of storytelling it could be great again.

I am sure that the money behind VEI would like to see something of a return on their investment by this time. Looks like a lot of money is tied up right now without any public movement forward.

That would be amazing! I wonder which ones Jim would use to write with? I can almost promise he wouldnt use past 12 titles, as he has said in the past! With 5 already in play its hard to tell but fun to speculate!!! :atomic: