Lazarus

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Re: Lazarus

Post by grendeljd »

Hands up, who read #17 this week? I'm continually amazed at how good this book stays, and now it's beginning a hugely important, action filled storyline. So good!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

String
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by String »

Ugh, I'm behind on my comic reading, I haven't read #16 yet. In fact, that reminds me, I need to order the new Conclave TPB.

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

String wrote:Ugh, I'm behind on my comic reading, I haven't read #16 yet. In fact, that reminds me, I need to order the new Conclave TPB.
I've heard some criticism of the way #16 was written, but I enjoyed it. Get on that, String - this current arc is going to be killer good!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

String

Post by String »

grendeljd wrote:
String wrote:Ugh, I'm behind on my comic reading, I haven't read #16 yet. In fact, that reminds me, I need to order the new Conclave TPB.
I've heard some criticism of the way #16 was written, but I enjoyed it. Get on that, String - this current arc is going to be killer good!
What kind of criticism? Yeah, it's style is a bit unorthodox, going from dialogue to the nun's journal, plus all the tactical communiques throw in. But I enjoyed the story and Lark's handling of the letters page was nice.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

String wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
What kind of criticism? Yeah, it's style is a bit unorthodox, going from dialogue to the nun's journal, plus all the tactical communiques throw in. But I enjoyed the story and Lark's handling of the letters page was nice.
That's pretty much what people were complaining about - some readers found it jarring to have the sequential parts interrupted with those journal entries & tactical graphics. The first letter in #17 is pretty much a good example of the complaints. I thought that stuff was great, personally - even if it made for a different reading flow.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Also - how exciting is it that they've sold the rights to make the book into a TV show? It's very early to tell if the show will actually get made, but that first step is huge! I hope it comes to pass :hope:

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

grendeljd wrote:Also - how exciting is it that they've sold the rights to make the book into a TV show? It's very early to tell if the show will actually get made, but that first step is huge! I hope it comes to pass :hope:
That's great news! This will make an awesome series.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

String

Post by String »

grendeljd wrote:
String wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
That's pretty much what people were complaining about - some readers found it jarring to have the sequential parts interrupted with those journal entries & tactical graphics. The first letter in #17 is pretty much a good example of the complaints. I thought that stuff was great, personally - even if it made for a different reading flow.
I thought the journal entries allowed for a closer examination of her thoughts and faith than otherwise. Carlyle allows their ministry to continue but at this personal cost, how that tests her faith and she responds, this was actually a powerful issue. If anything was jarring, it was the tech specs. It was kinda hard to understand who or what was being referred to, but overall, I'm glad Rucka took the risk with this particular approach.

(Also, I am correct in thinking that she is the only spy amongst the other nuns? That's kinda the impression that I got from her interactions with the others).

Speaking of live-action, Lark's comment in the letters page mentioned Hope Solo, the keeper for the women's Team USA soccer team, as an early influence on the physical traits and body size of Eve. Watching Solo in the current women's World Cup matches, I can definitely see that influence.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Almost getting to the point of a vol.2 Hardcover collected edition for this series... I'm excited! This is still in my top 3 favourite current comics to read. The latest story arc has been awesome.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Still any fans of this series hanging out around here? This book is still a top three favourite for me - it might very well currently be a top 2 alongside Imperium, actually.

The Carlysle Sourcebook came out this week and I am geeking OUT about it right now! Sooooo much background detail in there! Amazing world created for this story by Rucka et.al. - if this does actually become a TV series I'm gonna freak out.

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

grendeljd wrote:Almost getting to the point of a vol.2 Hardcover collected edition for this series... I'm excited! This is still in my top 3 favourite current comics to read. The latest story arc has been awesome.
The Volume 2 HC is on my DCBS order and should be released shortly. Still a huge fan of this series, but I am behind in my reading by at least an arc. I think I finished the "Poison" arc and I am just waiting to read the HC to get caught up. :cloud9: The Sourcebook is on my list too and will be shipped at the end of the month.

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)

Post by jeremycoe »

I didn't know about the sourcebook, so thanks for letting me know to hunt that down. This series is one of my favorites, but I am a couple issues behind. I'll need to remedy that shortly.
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

mkb28 wrote:
grendeljd wrote:Almost getting to the point of a vol.2 Hardcover collected edition for this series... I'm excited! This is still in my top 3 favourite current comics to read. The latest story arc has been awesome.
The Volume 2 HC is on my DCBS order and should be released shortly. Still a huge fan of this series, but I am behind in my reading by at least an arc. I think I finished the "Poison" arc and I am just waiting to read the HC to get caught up. :cloud9: The Sourcebook is on my list too and will be shipped at the end of the month.
Poison is the latest story arc, the one where Hocks forces are at war against Carlysle. The book has been on a brief hiatus since the end of that arc (allowing the creative team to catch their breath a bit), but should be coming back very soon. Nice to have the sourcebook for now as a new treat to digest in the meantime :)

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Just checked release dates - looks like #22 is solicited for June 15th & we're back to monthly again for the next arc at least. :thumb:

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

grendeljd wrote:Just checked release dates - looks like #22 is solicited for June 15th & we're back to monthly again for the next arc at least. :thumb:
Thanks for clarifying the "Poison" arc. I have not read that story arc yet, plus I have not read the stand-alone "Nun" issue that was before it. I did just switch to trades and HC's only and I did not add Lazarus #22 to my pull list. facepalm The Sourcebook will be my last raw book of this series. :(

Mkb28

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

mkb28 wrote:
grendeljd wrote:Just checked release dates - looks like #22 is solicited for June 15th & we're back to monthly again for the next arc at least. :thumb:
Thanks for clarifying the "Poison" arc. I have not read that story arc yet, plus I have not read the stand-alone "Nun" issue that was before it. I did just switch to trades and HC's only and I did not add Lazarus #22 to my pull list. facepalm The Sourcebook will be my last raw book of this series. :(

Mkb28
Uh oh - somebody's got a long wait ahead of them! Milk that sourcebook read :P

String

Post by String »

Greg Rucka now has my everlasting loyalty.

As you may (or may not) remember, I've had previous fan letters printed in various issues of Lazarus. Last year, in early fall, I wrote Rucka another fan letter with a question I had a personal stake in: In this new society, would a member of the Waste have access to current medical treatments if that Waste person developed cancer? Or would such treatment be reserved by Families to just their serfs?

Having just started my own chemotherapy, I was interested in his reply. I also told him that, because of my rising medical bills, that I was having to cull my pull list but was still planning on keeping Lazarus (and somehow adding Black Magick cause that preview of it in a Lazarus issue rocked!)

The next day, I received a very eloquent email reply from Rucka where he basically told me (paraphrasing), "Don't worry about it. I've heard of how hard such treatments can be and you shouldn't worry about something like this. During this time, I will send you copies of both titles for free. Stay strong and let me know how you're doing."

I was floored! I never in a million years would've expected a reply like that. True to his word, he did exactly that. For the rest of last year up through this January, he sent me free copies of both Lazarus and Black Magick, all signed by him with words of encouragement while I kept him up-to-date on the progress of my treatments.

I can never thank him enough for this deed and his words of encouragement. For a creator to go to such lengths for just one of their readers shows their love and dedication. :thumb:

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

String wrote:Greg Rucka now has my everlasting loyalty.

As you may (or may not) remember, I've had previous fan letters printed in various issues of Lazarus. Last year, in early fall, I wrote Rucka another fan letter with a question I had a personal stake in: In this new society, would a member of the Waste have access to current medical treatments if that Waste person developed cancer? Or would such treatment be reserved by Families to just their serfs?

Having just started my own chemotherapy, I was interested in his reply. I also told him that, because of my rising medical bills, that I was having to cull my pull list but was still planning on keeping Lazarus (and somehow adding Black Magick cause that preview of it in a Lazarus issue rocked!)

The next day, I received a very eloquent email reply from Rucka where he basically told me (paraphrasing), "Don't worry about it. I've heard of how hard such treatments can be and you shouldn't worry about something like this. During this time, I will send you copies of both titles for free. Stay strong and let me know how you're doing."

I was floored! I never in a million years would've expected a reply like that. True to his word, he did exactly that. For the rest of last year up through this January, he sent me free copies of both Lazarus and Black Magick, all signed by him with words of encouragement while I kept him up-to-date on the progress of my treatments.

I can never thank him enough for this deed and his words of encouragement. For a creator to go to such lengths for just one of their readers shows their love and dedication. :thumb:
Wow! What a fantastic story and thanks for sharing! :thumb: Rucka is the best in so many ways! Just went back and added Lazarus #22 to my pull list. :cloud9:

Mkb28

chriskay99
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: Shadowman
Location: The surrounding metropolitan area of Los Angeles, CA

Post by chriskay99 »

mkb28 wrote:

Wow! What a fantastic story and thanks for sharing! :thumb: Rucka is the best in so many ways! Just went back and added Lazarus #22 to my pull list. :cloud9:

Mkb28
:clap: wow for Rucka and best wishes to you, String. :high-five:
Black Science. Lazarus. Birthright. Saga. Manifest Destiny. Deadly Class.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

chriskay99 wrote:
mkb28 wrote:

Mkb28
:clap: wow for Rucka and best wishes to you, String. :high-five:
That is simply amazing. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Love to hear stories about creators who are also fantastic human beings. I'm especially glad to hear Greg Rucka is one of them, I think it's safe to say Lazarus is currently my top favourite current comic - especially after reading through the Carlysle sourcebook ( & I should say that Imperium is a verrrry close second).

Cheers to better health for you String, hope you won that fight and continue to make your presence felt around here as well.

String

Post by String »

Thanks all for the kind words. Currently I'm in remission and this past year has been the toughest of my life.

The Poison arc however was very good. It's great seeing the Barretts again and their efforts & struggles in this new Family war. Johanna up to some new tricks and damn, Eve took a helluva beating here!

I don't begrudge Rucka and the team any downtime for a hiatus at all, they continually produce one of the best products on the market (love LOVE those fake ads on the back covers) but I'll be glad when they are back. I need some answers on that last page reveal of the last issue!

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Hardcover #2 is out this week! Just picked one up today. Beautiful cover & collection. :cloud9:

In case anyone is wondering, the extra material in the back does not repeat any of the material in the Sourcebook:Carlysle issue - or at least it doesn't look like it to me after a glance through.

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

grendeljd wrote:Hardcover #2 is out this week! Just picked one up today. Beautiful cover & collection. :cloud9:

In case anyone is wondering, the extra material in the back does not repeat any of the material in the Sourcebook:Carlysle issue - or at least it doesn't look like it to me after a glance through.
The HC #2 stops with the issue before the Sourcebook. I wonder if the Sourcebook will collected in HC #3? :hm: My copy of Volume #2 arrives at the end of the month. :cloud9:

mkb28

String

Post by String »

grendeljd wrote:Hardcover #2 is out this week! Just picked one up today. Beautiful cover & collection. :cloud9:

I just noticed it's release.

Argh! Must buy! :clap:

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

String wrote:

I just noticed it's release.

Argh! Must buy! :clap:
I ended up reading through the entire book, extras and all, last night. This story... Damn it is good. The care and level of detail that goes into the background setting by all the creators involved is just so impressive.

I love it when creators flesh out world-building details that we as readers may never fully see, just so that they have an internal consistency and depth to the presented story. It always enhances my enjoyment of the immersive experience. These guys are all operating at the same level to achieve that here (and I'm even referring to all the incredible graphic design work done by Eric Trautmann, who comes up with all the computer screens, posters & fake ads etc. for the book. That's his only job for Lazarus - he's incredible! There are tons of extra pages just showing the stuff he has designed in this HC).

The world map in volume two is even updated to show what's going on in light of the events in issues 11-21. I love that!!