Milestone to Relaunch Independently

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
Re: Milestone to Relaunch Independently

Post by BugsySig »

Chiclo wrote:I was wholly unaware that Milestone was not owned by DC.
Apparently it was a very innovative deal at the time. Basically it was equivalent to DC licensing the characters and receiving a share of the profits. They also had some limited editorial input when it came to some more controversial aspects. Other than that Milestone and the creators retained all the rights.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

dornwolf
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by dornwolf »

leonmallett wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
omega_override wrote:
dornwolf wrote:Well use it or lose it. DC never really seemed interested in using the characters and as mentioned they pushed harder for Wildstorm to work (only to land face first in the mud)
The only thing "noteworthy" that Wildstorm ever produced under it's DC tenure was Alan Moore's America's Best Comics line
Wasn't the Authoritary and later Wild Cats under DC? They were still separate but DC already owned the company.
Yes.
Too be honest I was talking more about DC's half-assed attempt during the Nu-52 to bring in Wildstorm more than anything.

I am looking forward to this. I truly wonder who could take this on as a publisher. Bugsys idea of VEI helping out and the two working together would be pretty good. I know it's been mentioned but IDW and Darkhorse would probably be good landing spots too. Just not Dynamite we all know they were the first ones phoning Milestone but god they'd drive those thing straight down.

Plus side is this might mean I can get trade reprints. I've got the first Icon trade with the ability to go get volume 2 and Hardware Volume 1. Would love to get Static as well.

Hopeful to get a better launch than what DC actually gave Static.

BugsySig
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

dornwolf wrote:
leonmallett wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
omega_override wrote:
dornwolf wrote:Well use it or lose it. DC never really seemed interested in using the characters and as mentioned they pushed harder for Wildstorm to work (only to land face first in the mud)
The only thing "noteworthy" that Wildstorm ever produced under it's DC tenure was Alan Moore's America's Best Comics line
Wasn't the Authoritary and later Wild Cats under DC? They were still separate but DC already owned the company.
Yes.
Too be honest I was talking more about DC's half-assed attempt during the Nu-52 to bring in Wildstorm more than anything.

I am looking forward to this. I truly wonder who could take this on as a publisher. Bugsys idea of VEI helping out and the two working together would be pretty good. I know it's been mentioned but IDW and Darkhorse would probably be good landing spots too. Just not Dynamite (sucks!) we all know they were the first ones phoning Milestone but god they'd drive those thing straight down.

Plus side is this might mean I can get trade reprints. I've got the first Icon trade with the ability to go get volume 2 and Hardware Volume 1. Would love to get Static as well.

Hopeful to get a better launch than what DC actually gave Static.
WildStorm integration to the New 52 was a travesty (though the first few issues of VooDoo weren't bad).
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

BugsySig wrote:
Apparently it was a very innovative deal at the time. Basically it was equivalent to DC licensing the characters and receiving a share of the profits. They also had some limited editorial input when it came to some more controversial aspects. Other than that Milestone and the creators retained all the rights.
Indeed; the editorial impact had an effect on stuff like the cover to Static #25 IIRC.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

Captain Craig
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Favorite character: XO Manowar/Shadowman
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: tough one

Post by Captain Craig »

BugsySig wrote:
Same here. If I'd fully known that I wouldn't have been as expecting of DC to incorporate the Milestone characters during nu52 like I did.

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

Captain Craig wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
Same here. If I'd fully known that I wouldn't have been as expecting of DC to incorporate the Milestone characters during nu52 like I did.
The New 52 Static Shock book basically underlined why I think DC are all-too-often poor custodians for IP's the publish in recent years. The book was beset by poor working relationships between the lead creators, and writer and editor.

As a Milestone fan of many years it was a sad coda of sorts. the real coda was Millstone Forever, and I do thank DC for publishing that, but DC sabotaged the use of Milestone characters, even when McDuffie was writing JLoA, harming his work with various edicts on a line-wide basis as well as book-specific.
Last edited by leonmallett on Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:34:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

omega_override
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2014

Post by omega_override »

Apologies for the necro-bump, but I'm legitimately curious about any further developments with Milestone since January

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

omega_override wrote:Apologies for the necro-bump
With context removed, this has Quotes Thread potential...
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

omega_override wrote:Apologies for the necro-bump, but I'm legitimately curious about any further developments with Milestone since January
No news yet.

AFAIK, they have indicated cross-platform/publisher potential for their plans. I hope they elect for just one publisher because I want to see these characters together.

Other than that, the most interesting news was DC removing Static from a recent cover between art and final image.

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

They keep saying SDCC is when some stuff will be announced.
leonmallett wrote:
omega_override wrote:Apologies for the necro-bump, but I'm legitimately curious about any further developments with Milestone since January
No news yet.

AFAIK, they have indicated cross-platform/publisher potential for their plans. I hope they elect for just one publisher because I want to see these characters together.

Other than that, the most interesting news was DC removing Static from a recent cover between art and final image.
Fun fact Static shows up as a playable character in the Injustice Mobile game.

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

Milestone now have an official FB page. :)

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

Well it looks like they have a publisher....:

http://www.newsarama.com/25148-static-m ... rth-m.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Saturday morning at a press event, DC Comics and Milestone Media jointly announced that Static and other Milestone characters would be returning to DC. No details were given on books or creative teams, but the characters will be brought back as part of a new universe in the DC multi-verse titled 'Earth-M.'

"We couldn't be more proud and excited about the opportunity to bring the 'Dakota' Universe back to DC," said DC Co-Publisher Jim Lee. "This is a huge step forward for us in bringing readers a more diversified lineup as part of the new DC Universe, and we're anxiously looking foward to telling new stories that are socially and culturally impactful and representative of the world in which we live."

Reginald Hudlin, who recently joined the revived Milestone Media, calls the deal with DC to license their characters again a "complicated one" but one they could not turn down.
I hope, so very much hope, that it is its own thing. Realistically, a fresh start a la VEI may be the best way to go.

I implore DC to not overly interfere and not *SQUEE* things up.

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

leonmallett wrote:Well it looks like they have a publisher....:

http://www.newsarama.com/25148-static-m ... rth-m.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Saturday morning at a press event, DC Comics and Milestone Media jointly announced that Static and other Milestone characters would be returning to DC. No details were given on books or creative teams, but the characters will be brought back as part of a new universe in the DC multi-verse titled 'Earth-M.'

"We couldn't be more proud and excited about the opportunity to bring the 'Dakota' Universe back to DC," said DC Co-Publisher Jim Lee. "This is a huge step forward for us in bringing readers a more diversified lineup as part of the new DC Universe, and we're anxiously looking foward to telling new stories that are socially and culturally impactful and representative of the world in which we live."

Reginald Hudlin, who recently joined the revived Milestone Media, calls the deal with DC to license their characters again a "complicated one" but one they could not turn down.
I hope, so very much hope, that it is its own thing. Realistically, a fresh start a la VEI may be the best way to go.

I implore DC to not overly interfere and not *SQUEE* things up.
Kind of disappointed to see that they're staying with DC, who helped tank it in the first place, but I am happy it's separated and is it's own thing again. Kinda like the idea of just full on graphic novels and mini's and stuff. Hopefully they can keep that on a better release schedule than DC's Earth-One books. Most importantly though I want some of that old material released. I've got the first volume of Icon, can get the second along with Hardwares and that's it no Static so hopefully a classics release.

leonmallett wrote:Milestone now have an official FB page. :)
What's it under as I was looking and can't find anything official.

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

FB page: https://www.facebook.com/milestonemedia2?fref=ts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:)

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

leonmallett wrote:FB page: https://www.facebook.com/milestonemedia2?fref=ts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:)
Thanks. They`re upcoming out put doesn`t seem to deep but hopefully something good comes from this. However Geoff Johns and Jim Lee are involved so I`m not putting up to much hope.

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: V-Diddy
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Sven the Returned »

I was so convinced i was missing out, but they had not even started yet.

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

Lady Oiorpata wrote:I was so convinced i was missing out, but they had not even started yet.
I think it will be a few months yet.

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

A recent interview:

http://comicbook.com/2015/07/26/milesto ... -thomas-a/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
there was talk that Milestone Media could reboot their properties as a stand-alone publisher, and that the connections to DC (the characters crossed over into the DC Universe a handful of times over the years) could evaporate as a result.

Instead, with a return to DC, Milestone will alter its approach somewhat. Rather than restricting its writers and artists to just those employed by Milestone, they will work with some of DC's biggest names, including Geoff Johns and Jim Lee.
I am hoping it will be a reboot and fresh start; trying to continue the old would be a wasted opportunity and barrier to new readers IMHO.

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

leonmallett wrote:A recent interview:

http://comicbook.com/2015/07/26/milesto ... -thomas-a/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
there was talk that Milestone Media could reboot their properties as a stand-alone publisher, and that the connections to DC (the characters crossed over into the DC Universe a handful of times over the years) could evaporate as a result.

Instead, with a return to DC, Milestone will alter its approach somewhat. Rather than restricting its writers and artists to just those employed by Milestone, they will work with some of DC's biggest names, including Geoff Johns and Jim Lee.
I am hoping it will be a reboot and fresh start; trying to continue the old would be a wasted opportunity and barrier to new readers IMHO.
Agreed. Too much time has passed. A clean start would be best IMO.
***Support your local farmers!***

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

If they are going the Millar route with multiple publishers IMHO it would be better to a clean reboot and try to make as new reader friendly as possible.

Now maybe they should strike a deal with one publisher to handle all of Milestone's TPBs and HCs from the 90s maybe under something like Milestone Classics or something.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

Cyberstrike wrote:If they are going the Millar route with multiple publishers IMHO it would be better to a clean reboot and try to make as new reader friendly as possible.

Now maybe they should strike a deal with one publisher to handle all of Milestone's TPBs and HCs from the 90s maybe under something like Milestone Classics or something.
The original comments by Milestone were related to potentially multiple publishers, now it looks like one publisher: DC.

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

leonmallett wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:If they are going the Millar route with multiple publishers IMHO it would be better to a clean reboot and try to make as new reader friendly as possible.

The original comments by Milestone were related to potentially multiple publishers, now it looks like one publisher: DC.
I'd wager a bet the multiple publisher stuff was just a bluff to get DC to the table and pony up some form of deal that was workable. Dynamite without a doubt was hitting them up.

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

dornwolf wrote:
leonmallett wrote:

I'd wager a bet the multiple publisher stuff was just a bluff to get DC to the table and pony up some form of deal that was workable. Dynamite (sucks!) without a doubt was hitting them up.
An entirely plausible theory. :thumb:

At DC the books *should* be out on time, although I suspect that will depend on the Milestone team - there was some lateness towards the end of the first era.

I would have loved Dark Horse or IDW to have become their home, but I suspect that being at DC will be better for sales. I hope the business model and deal agreed is geared towards sales at the indy end of books instead of the DC thresholds for cancellations etc. If treated as simply a DC imprint rather than DC being the publishing partner, then I can only see this doing what First Wave or Red Circle managed. But if 6-10K sales per book per month are acceptable - I can see a line that grows over time.

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

leonmallett wrote:
dornwolf wrote:
leonmallett wrote:

I'd wager a bet the multiple publisher stuff was just a bluff to get DC to the table and pony up some form of deal that was workable. Dynamite (sucks!) (sucks!) without a doubt was hitting them up.
An entirely plausible theory. :thumb:

At DC the books *should* be out on time, although I suspect that will depend on the Milestone team - there was some lateness towards the end of the first era.

I would have loved Dark Horse or IDW to have become their home, but I suspect that being at DC will be better for sales. I hope the business model and deal agreed is geared towards sales at the indy end of books instead of the DC thresholds for cancellations etc. If treated as simply a DC imprint rather than DC being the publishing partner, then I can only see this doing what First Wave or Red Circle managed. But if 6-10K sales per book per month are acceptable - I can see a line that grows over time.
Well lets take a step back in the current world we live in. Everyone wants a piece of the movie pie. While of course the publishing side was important I have little doubt Milestone wants access to movie studio/tv studio/ game publishing contacts more than anything. Warner Bros would help make a Static Shock movie more than some other studio.