Best New-Era "British Invader"?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Grant Morrison
27%
Garth Ennis
13%
Warren Ellis
53%
Mark Millar
7%

Total votes: 15

omega_override
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2014

Post by omega_override »

Which of the above four European blokes is your favorite author and what's your favorite work by them?

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin
Re: Best New-Era "British Invader"?

Post by Cyberstrike »

Grant Morrison is vastly over-rated to sickening degree. JLA and Batman: Arkham Asylum-A Serious House on Serious Earth are the only things he ever wrote that I would considered great. The rest is an overuse of meta commentary and weird to be weird for no other reason than to be weird and claim it's art.

Garth Ennis what I've read from him (which is pretty much Punisher: Welcome Back Frank, Jennifer Blood, and Fury) but his tendency to be ultra violent and his dark humor does tend to get old after awhile. I read is good but only because he knows how and enjoys write that kind of character. I don't think he's bad but his work is very cynical.

Warren Ellis is the best on this list but just because he knows how to write different characters and genres well. I think might be interested in more of his work if he could commit to a series longer than 6 issues or make a deadline.

Mark Millar is the shock jock of comics in that the only things people ever talk about his comics is his use graphic violence and/or sex to make his characters "edgy" and his creator-owned "Millarworld" comics should be called "Movie Pitch Comics" because that is what they are. I find most his recent work is filled with bile towards comics and fans, and a kind of a self-loathing on Millar for working in a medium he clearly doesn't want to be in. His books are constantly late and he tends to blame artists even when it's own damn fault. Honestly I don't care to read anything of his anymore.

The best new British Writer is James Roberts on Transformer: More Than Meets The Eye IMHO this guy is in the same league as Alan Moore and Neil Gaiman. He would have won an Eisner by now if he was writing a funny political satire, a dark and a violent epic with sexually confused superheroes...oh wait I'm talking about Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye a "toy" comic so it can't be about those things. Right? Yes, it can be about those issues and even more.

Just go read Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye and see a legend in the making.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Tim
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Tim »

James Robinson

ilzuccone
Valiant fan since: VEI

Post by ilzuccone »

I thought those were all the same guy :?

omega_override

Post by omega_override »

ilzuccone wrote:I thought those were all the same guy :?
I know the feeling, I used to get Garth Ennis and Warren Ellis confused a lot because of their last names and in some ways their work is similiar and in other cases not so much

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

James Robisonon should be on the list for sure.

From that list it is Morrison for me based on Zenith, JLA, Multiversity, Batman and Robin and creating Damien Wayne.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Based on the title, I was ready to say William III.

Keith
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

Warren Ellis for Planetary. <mic drop>
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Keith wrote:Warren Ellis for Planetary. <mic drop>
Preach it, brother! :high-five:

(And no, that's not a typo of a reference to Ennis' Preacher book, either :lol: )
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Cyberstrike wrote:Grant Morrison is vastly over-rated to sickening degree. JLA and Batman: Arkham Asylum-A Serious House on Serious Earth are the only things he ever wrote that I would considered great. The rest is an overuse of meta commentary and weird to be weird for no other reason than to be weird and claim it's art.
:lol:

Just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean it isn't any good. Grant is a very close second to Warren Ellis for me on this short list. I love that weird meta stuff almost as much as I love Warren's staggering imagination for sci-fi concepts.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

grendeljd wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:Grant Morrison is vastly over-rated to sickening degree. JLA and Batman: Arkham Asylum-A Serious House on Serious Earth are the only things he ever wrote that I would considered great. The rest is an overuse of meta commentary and weird to be weird for no other reason than to be weird and claim it's art.
:lol:

Just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean it isn't any good. Grant is a very close second to Warren Ellis for me on this short list. I love that weird meta stuff almost as much as I love Warren's staggering imagination for sci-fi concepts.
It's fine but it's also very annoying after awhile. I also find his constant love letters to the Golden and Silver Ages really annoying and downright insulting. I'm sorry but his work is not smart or great. Alan Moore is a writer that even when I don't understand what going in his work I feel smarter having tried to understand his work, with Morrison I feel stupid for having even trying to understand his work. Besides James Roberts does meta commentary MUCH better and for creative and fun ways than anything Morrison has ever done.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

newt138
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill

Post by newt138 »

No love for Jamie Delano?

Sunlight_on_Snow
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Valiant fan since: 1992 Unity
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite artist: Mico Suayan

Post by Sunlight_on_Snow »

I have to go Grant Morrison for Animal Man and his work on Superman. Side note: everybody knows about All Star Superman, but the 2-issue Superman Beyond 3D (tie-in for Final Crisis) was incredible.
"What was appealing about the moment would be, in time, the cause of its end. It was the first time I experienced an identifiable algodonic state. That is, I became capable of observing beauty while experiencing sadness simultaneously." -- Joshua Dysart, Imperium #3

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

Sunlight_on_Snow wrote:I have to go Grant Morrison for Animal Man and his work on Superman. Side note: everybody knows about All Star Superman, but the 2-issue Superman Beyond 3D (tie-in for Final Crisis) was incredible.

Loved the movie hated the book.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

newt138 wrote:No love for Jamie Delano?
Ooh! Good call - honourable mention for Constantine - I've only got about the 1st 40 issues of the Vertigo run buts it's great stuff. :thumb:

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Sunlight_on_Snow wrote:I have to go Grant Morrison for Animal Man and his work on Superman. Side note: everybody knows about All Star Superman, but the 2-issue Superman Beyond 3D (tie-in for Final Crisis) was incredible.
His Animal Man run rules. Also loved WE 3, The Filth, Doom Patrol & New XMen... and currently loving Nameless. :thumb: :thumb:

leonmallett
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

Sunlight_on_Snow wrote:...Side note: everybody knows about All Star Superman, but the 2-issue Superman Beyond 3D (tie-in for Final Crisis) was incredible.
Forgot both and totally agreed. :) :thumb:
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

Sunlight_on_Snow

leonmallett wrote:
Sunlight_on_Snow wrote:...Side note: everybody knows about All Star Superman, but the 2-issue Superman Beyond 3D (tie-in for Final Crisis) was incredible.
:high-five:

@Grendeljd: Nameless is good, eh? Who is publishing it?
"What was appealing about the moment would be, in time, the cause of its end. It was the first time I experienced an identifiable algodonic state. That is, I became capable of observing beauty while experiencing sadness simultaneously." -- Joshua Dysart, Imperium #3

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Sunlight_on_Snow wrote:
leonmallett wrote:

It's an Image book, so it's even a creator owned series. You haven't looked into it yet? It's pretty insane. Like that movie Event Horizon on crack, mixed with surreal occultism. Occult Sci-Fi... Morrison unleashed!!

The art by Chris Burnham is very good too - his style reminds me a little of Frank Quitely, whose art I absolutely adore.

newt138

Post by newt138 »

grendeljd wrote:
His Animal Man run rules. Also loved WE 3, The Filth, Doom Patrol & New XMen... and currently loving Nameless. :thumb: :thumb:
And speaking of Animal Man,I do love the Morrison run. But love the Delano run even more. Really the entire series was great.

String
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by String »

Of the four on this list, my top vote is for Warren Ellis. His concepts are high-brow but not too over the top or meta (as Morrison can be) and his characterizations tend to be very strong. Also, he's very adaptable to multiple genres.

For me, Morrison is too hit-or-miss. When he hits, he's utterly brilliant. All-Star Superman is one of the best Superman stories ever. But when he misses, it's by a country mile. Sometimes I think that my knowledge of DCU obscura isn't enough to fully comprehend Morrison's stories or themes. Multiversity looks spectacular but I feel as if I'm not getting the whole message or idea.

I used to like Ennis, Preacher was a dark, violent but entertaining book. But his tones and themes don't appeal much to me anymore although I do applaud his continuing efforts within the war comics area of the medium.

Millar...I don't get. I've read very little by him but what I have read has been okay.

I do like James Robinson. I liked his work on the Superman line during the New World of Krypton story arc. I've read some of his Starman which I enjoyed.

But right now, my favorite British import is Kieron Gillen. :thumb:

omega_override

Post by omega_override »

String wrote:Millar...I don't get. I've read very little by him but what I have read has been okay.
The only thing that I've read by Millar was his run on Sam Slade: Robo-Hunter for 2000 AD. And while I thought it was pretty good, a lot of people didn't and it hasn't been included in the collected editions for that very reason

Sunlight_on_Snow

grendeljd wrote:
Sunlight_on_Snow wrote:
leonmallett wrote:

It's an Image book, so it's even a creator owned series. You haven't looked into it yet? It's pretty insane. Like that movie Event Horizon on crack, mixed with surreal occultism. Occult Sci-Fi... Morrison unleashed!!

The art by Chris Burnham is very good too - his style reminds me a little of Frank Quitely, whose art I absolutely adore.
I just google searched some images. Looks pretty great. I will definitely pick up the first trade at some point. Thanks for recommending! :clap:

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Sunlight_on_Snow wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
Sunlight_on_Snow wrote:
leonmallett wrote:

I just google searched some images. Looks pretty great. I will definitely pick up the first trade at some point. Thanks for recommending! :clap:
No problem! :thumb:

Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

omega_override wrote:
String wrote:Millar...I don't get. I've read very little by him but what I have read has been okay.
The only thing that I've read by Millar was his run on Sam Slade: Robo-Hunter for 2000 AD. And while I thought it was pretty good, a lot of people didn't and it hasn't been included in the collected editions for that very reason
I've read a few of His MillarWorld titles, but the only one that has really appealed to me is Jupiters Legacy. And I think that's more because it's drawn by Frank Quitely, who is one of my favourite artists. I looked at the Jupiters Circle series (a spin-off title), but it didn't look interesting enough to pick it up.