X-O #36

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Bone-A-Fach-ee
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: '92
Favorite character: Tony Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger/Imperium
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
X-O #36

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

First of all, I can't believe I'm starting this thread?

First off, there are some absolutely gorgeous splash pages. I'm envious of whoever buys those original pieces.
Loved the humor of Aric asking "what are you? Can you even fight?" And the things response :lol:
Is Aric going to turn into a hive mind with all the other X-O armors, or will they all die, sort of negating that effect on him and Shanharra?
Good issue, but it seemed like editorial was just like "okay, have him go get his army in this issue", and that's all that really happened.
Not bad, but wish there was a little more meat. V-Ditti rules.

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
Re: X-O #36

Post by BugsySig »

Bone-A-Fach-ee wrote:First of all, I can't believe I'm starting this thread?

First off, there are some absolutely gorgeous splash pages. I'm envious of whoever buys those original pieces.
Loved the humor of Aric asking "what are you? Can you even fight?" And the things response :lol:
Is Aric going to turn into a hive mind with all the other X-O armors, or will they all die, sort of negating that effect on him and Shanharra?
Good issue, but it seemed like editorial was just like "okay, have him go get his army in this issue", and that's all that really happened.
Not bad, but wish there was a little more meat. V-Ditti rules.
Agree with all this. Cool issue. Greta splash pages. Some fun scenes. Definitely a set up issue for the end of the arc.

Really hoping we get some gaps filled in at some point on Shanharra, the Armors and the Armor Hunters. It's starting to drag on and it's not even being built as a mystery. I'm afraid if it doesn't happen soon, it'll just be dropped. Hopefully that XO special will do the trick.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by pixierosa »

I thought the hive mind was cool. It immediately reminded me of The Vine and their shared awareness, but this is obviously not a trait that the armors picked up from one growing on Loam. They must have had a shared meeting before when they all converged on the planet with the armor hunters. I don't think it was so much that they were called home, but it may have been a call from one of the armors. Interesting fight or flight impulse considering they were made as a weapon. Perhaps they gained a sentience and through the hive mind were all awakened to a means of survival - a parasitic one. Who knows? I hope they reveal this information.
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

jxm640
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: GIN-GR
Favorite title: Rai
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by jxm640 »

pixierosa wrote:I thought the hive mind was cool. It immediately reminded me of The Vine and their shared awareness, but this is obviously not a trait that the armors picked up from one growing on Loam. They must have had a shared meeting before when they all converged on the planet with the armor hunters. I don't think it was so much that they were called home, but it may have been a call from one of the armors. Interesting fight or flight impulse considering they were made as a weapon. Perhaps they gained a sentience and through the hive mind were all awakened to a means of survival - a parasitic one. Who knows? I hope they reveal this information.
Is it possible that the Vine Hive mind evolved from the armors? In theory, the armors tap into parts of all of their hosts brains. Aric can speak Vine without Shanhara attached to him (I am not sure about entering commune).

All in all, this was a nice filler issue to read. A decent calm before the storm, although more could have been done with it.
This is what happens when you try to work...

hunter_peterson
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Kris Hathaway

Post by hunter_peterson »

jxm640 wrote:
pixierosa wrote:I thought the hive mind was cool. It immediately reminded me of The Vine and their shared awareness, but this is obviously not a trait that the armors picked up from one growing on Loam. They must have had a shared meeting before when they all converged on the planet with the armor hunters. I don't think it was so much that they were called home, but it may have been a call from one of the armors. Interesting fight or flight impulse considering they were made as a weapon. Perhaps they gained a sentience and through the hive mind were all awakened to a means of survival - a parasitic one. Who knows? I hope they reveal this information.
Is it possible that the Vine Hive mind evolved from the armors? In theory, the armors tap into parts of all of their hosts brains. Aric can speak Vine without Shanhara attached to him (I am not sure about entering commune).

All in all, this was a nice filler issue to read. A decent calm before the storm, although more could have been done with it.
I think they're communicating over their respective race's Akashic Plane. They can't access the Record like Archer, but they can use it as a psychic meeting ground. Which, if true, would tie together even more of the Valiant Universe.

EDIT: I assume Aric can speak Vine because Shanhara modified his vocal chords somehow. They don't make noises humans can naturally replicate, I think.

apainter
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by apainter »

jxm640 wrote:Is it possible that the Vine Hive mind evolved from the armors? In theory, the armors tap into parts of all of their hosts brains. Aric can speak Vine without Shanhara attached to him (I am not sure about entering commune).
According to the Vine High Priest

"Shanhara guided us. It taught us to access the gatherings, a spiritual plane where our minds could meet to share knowledge and memories." - X-O # 11

One thing I miss (that they did in previous issues) is use the black speech bubbles and angle brackets whenever Aric was speaking the vine language and switched back when he wasn't.

Art

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

The other X-O says "In time, you will become armor of the name Aric."

So, the warrior who wore Shanhara to save the Vine homeworld Loam was consumed by that armor.
He didn't leave it behind after defeating the Torment.
He couldn't leave it behind... apart from Aric and Livewire, the armors have never stopped consuming their wearers.

The warrior that defeated the Torment was Shanhara... and he/she/it became the armor of the name Shanhara.

greg

Post by greg »

By the way... tell me you all saw the X-O Goatowar. :lol:

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

BugsySig wrote:Really hoping we get some gaps filled in at some point on Shanharra, the Armors and the Armor Hunters. It's starting to drag on and it's not even being built as a mystery.
Agree.

The one thing that I don't really like is that the X-O armor concept is as much an evil as is the AH and Dead Hand. The armors 'infect' worlds and kill all of the inhabitants (for some reason we've never been told) and the AH 'save' the universe by killing everything in it so it can't be infected.

While I thoroughly enjoyed the AH arcs, I find myself not being able to root for anyone except Aric. Yeah, yeah, a morally gray universe and all of that -- but how cosmically bleak do they have to make it?

I enjoy all of the action and characters but the foundation of this premise leaves me uneasy, leaves my not seeing the armor as a force for good. And yet there it is, conceptually wrapped around my hero in every issue. I dunno, it's almost too far afield of the armor idea I loved in VH1.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

I think the outcome of this war with Dead Hand could be the XO Armors becoming like a Green Lantern Corps. Gaining independence over the hive mind as they learn from Aric.

greg

Post by greg »

Good point --- it's possible that the other X-O armors simply selected a random member of the population. Shanhara chose Aric, who was (destined to be) a king.

X-O #36 may be known as the issue where "Aric becomes King of the X-O Armors" :hm:

Captain Craig
Favorite character: XO Manowar/Shadowman
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: tough one

Post by Captain Craig »

I don't think any long time comic reader could dismiss the GLCorps/Nova Corps vibe going on in this issue. As groundwork for something like that anyway. It didn't feel like it was as strong a narrative issue as it could've been. We are aware that the story is as much about Shanara as it is Aric and there are things VEI is still going to explore so maybe one day we'll get told why the armors could be seen as a plague. However, the AH & Control's way of dealing with them is the axiom that the cure is worse than the disease. So the AH method also isn't viable cause it's genocide.

I also would've enjoyed it if the aesthetic of the armors were different. I feel that as each armor is born on it's planet that certain environmental factors should account for slight changes in each armor.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Wild Card: There are still two (?) Armor Hunters alive, I think. Helix for sure and I think Quartz? Malgam may even qualify.

So what if Dead Hand finds some living Armor Hunters? Does it just turn off and go back into 'wait' mode?

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

jmatt wrote:Wild Card: There are still two (?) Armor Hunters alive, I think. Helix for sure and I think Quartz? Malgam may even qualify.

So what if Dead Hand finds some living Armor Hunters? Does it just turn off and go back into 'wait' mode?
Are we even sure Primary and Lilt are dead? Last we saw were their bodies on a table at GATE. They could very easily be in cryogenic refrigeration.

hunter_peterson

BugsySig wrote:
jmatt wrote:Wild Card: There are still two (?) Armor Hunters alive, I think. Helix for sure and I think Quartz? Malgam may even qualify.

Are we even sure Primary and Lilt are dead? Last we saw were their bodies on a table at GATE. They could very easily be in cryogenic refrigeration.
I would like that! They were all such cool characters, killing two of then off felt like a shame. Even if they brought them back, their separation will have made them even more interesting!

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

BugsySig wrote:

I was gonna mention Reebo. We saw a body but it never went in the ground. I think Bloodshot carved organs outta Lilt, so that's less likely. But yeah. I think it's even possible Control is still around out there.

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Enjoyed this issue, as always VDitti plays a 'long game' so the real appreciation of what's happening occurs when the arc finishes.

It's difficult to not see the XO army and not be reminded of the Green Lantern Corps which is a tiny bit distracting, but I like where things are headed!

3.5/5

ilzuccone
Valiant fan since: VEI

Post by ilzuccone »

I dig the hint at the history of the armor. I want shanhara's story. I also dig the green lantern corp vibe. I enjoyed this issue far more than the previous.

String

Post by String »

Even being a filler issue, V-ditti does a great job here. The hive mind scenes were great, seeing Aric challenge the other armors to stand up and fight instead of avoiding it (which I thought was a nice twist on why they signaled Shanhara over the approaching Dead Hand to Loam).

Bernard's art is very a great fit for this type of story. Yeah, it's hard not to see some GLC overtones here, but seeing all the different alien armors is a treat. If Aric does manage to sway them towards being some form of galactic guardian or law force in the future, I'd be all for that. I just love that this series is still focused on the cosmic/space side of the Valiant Universe. :thumb:

Big Red
Valiant fan since: Before the Anni-Padda...
Favorite character: Divinity, X-O, & Bloodshot
Favorite title: Divinity
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by Big Red »

Bone-A-Fach-ee wrote: V-Ditti rules.
Agreed.

I'm really enjoying this book right now.
Favorite books: Black Hammer, Bloodshot, Divinity, Justice League Dark, Marvel Two-In-One, Thor.

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

An enjoyable issue for me. The dead Hand arc has had a nice trajectory for me, mixing good writing and art. :thumb:
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

BugsySig wrote:I think the outcome of this war with Dead Hand could be the XO Armors becoming like a Green Lantern Corps. Gaining independence over the hive mind as they learn from Aric.
Yep, same thought crossed my mind.

I thought VEI were also trying to do their own take on having a broad mythology with sub-sets (like DC's emotional spectrum of corps) when they did the Houses thing in EW, but that didn't seem to stick. At all.

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

Captain Craig wrote:I don't think any long time comic reader could dismiss the GLCorps/Nova Corps vibe going on in this issue. As groundwork for something like that anyway.
Agreed. And not a bad thing IMHO. But kind of shows that the Armor Hunters were not as successful as it first appeared.
I also would've enjoyed it if the aesthetic of the armors were different. I feel that as each armor is born on it's planet that certain environmental factors should account for slight changes in each armor.
For me there is sufficient variation so as not to look identical, mixed with sufficient recognisability, so mileage varies. :) :thumb:

But more importantly, these are space-faring armours, so need to adapt to many environments, not just one.

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Enjoyed this issue, as always VDitti plays a 'long game' so the real appreciation of what's happening occurs when the arc finishes.

It's difficult to not see the XO army and not be reminded of the Green Lantern Corps which is a tiny bit distracting, but I like where things are headed!

3.5/5
I liked the decision, so was not distracted. While not a big GL reader over the years, I do think VEI needs to broaden its mythoi/mythoses where it can, and this seems a logical extension.

hunter_peterson

leonmallett wrote:
BugsySig wrote:I think the outcome of this war with Dead Hand could be the XO Armors becoming like a Green Lantern Corps. Gaining independence over the hive mind as they learn from Aric.
Yep, same thought crossed my mind.

I thought VEI were also trying to do their own take on having a broad mythology with sub-sets (like DC's emotional spectrum of corps) when they did the Houses thing in EW, but that didn't seem to stick. At all.
Hopefully that plays into either Book of Death or the Warmonger arc of Unity. The Warmonger seems like a demigoddess of that EW pantheon, by the look of her father. It was cool and I'd like to see it fleshed out.