What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Brother Darque
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by Brother Darque »

today I got the first issue of Captain Victory And The Galactic Rangers.

it was very good, I highly recommend it.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

kjjohanson wrote:
ilzuccone wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:
Savant wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
nscc wrote: It is Amazing!

When I became active on here about a year and change ago, Invincible came HIGHLY recommended. I listened and am happy I did. It is the best superhero comic ever. I LOVE spider-man and Batman from the Big 2. Have since I was a child, but Invincible kicks their *SQUEE* on so many levels. It does have quite a bit of blood and gore and death, but it serves its purpose. I wouldn't say it is gratuitous at all, it has the right level.

The first few issues are nothing amazing, but the stories keep getting better and better and there are so many surprises and shocks.

I can't recommend it enough. Give it a shot a few arcs in and you will be hooked too!!

The big 48 issue compendiums are a great way to get into it for a low cost.

Also, welcome, don't listen to that dunlow guy about the Candians, his custom title will confirm that he "doth protest too much"!!

:thumb: ;)
+1 on the Invincible recommendation - and if you try it again beyond a few issues, stick with reading it at least up to #12-13. A Big, Big story arc comes to fruition there, and it's usually the clincher that sucks people completely into the book for good.

And welcome to the boards!
I just finished the first Ultimate Collection of Invincible (hardcover which collects issues 1-13).....I wasn't wowed by it, and neither the plot twist nor the seeds for a new story arc had me hooked. The first 13 issues/chapters were OK, but not good enough to keep me interested in going further.

That said, I'll give the second hardcover a chance, as I've been told the weakest section of Invincible is the first 12-13 issues, and that it gets much better, afterward.
My rule: if an ongoing series hasn't impressed me after 12 issues then it's not a series that never will impress me and isn't worth my time and money.
and that's why it's so hard to get people to read invincible. the first arch is not the best.
I splurged when Comixology recently had the deal of every issue (through 110 at the time) for $75. Less than a buck an issue. I've been making my way through and am up through the late 50s now (the Wolf-Man crossover issue; pausing cuz I'm going to pick up that series or at least the issue of that series that crosses over so I don't miss anything). Agreed that things really do get interesting after the first anniversary issue, so you need to give it more than 12 issues. If you've gotten to 15 or 20 and still aren't interested I can see giving it up.

In my case since I haven't read and no plans to start reading Invincible anytime in the near future due to a lack of money and having zero interest in it or anything else written by Robert Kirkman (he's not bad, he's just not written anything that I want to read) but if I'm not entertained in the first year there is no way in hell I will waste my money and my time on a book's second year in the hopes that it will good. AFAIC 12 issues is a considerable investment in my money and time and if an ongoing comic book series fails to entertain me by #12, then I see no reason to keep wasting money on a book that is not giving me any enjoyment. I've done that song and dance and got burned way too many times to waste my money and more importantly my time on a book like The Walking Dead. I gave it a chance it wasn't my cup of tea, and I don't see anything great about it now and the same with Invincible.

And by throwing money away on books that I don't like and hoping that get good it takes me away from good books that I actually like. Honestly I wish that Jay Faber would bring Noble Causes back because that was a damn great book.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

ilzuccone
Valiant fan since: VEI

Post by ilzuccone »

Cyberstrike wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:
ilzuccone wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:
Savant wrote:
grendeljd wrote: +1 on the Invincible recommendation - and if you try it again beyond a few issues, stick with reading it at least up to #12-13. A Big, Big story arc comes to fruition there, and it's usually the clincher that sucks people completely into the book for good.

And welcome to the boards!
I just finished the first Ultimate Collection of Invincible (hardcover which collects issues 1-13).....I wasn't wowed by it, and neither the plot twist nor the seeds for a new story arc had me hooked. The first 13 issues/chapters were OK, but not good enough to keep me interested in going further.

That said, I'll give the second hardcover a chance, as I've been told the weakest section of Invincible is the first 12-13 issues, and that it gets much better, afterward.
My rule: if an ongoing series hasn't impressed me after 12 issues then it's not a series that never will impress me and isn't worth my time and money.
and that's why it's so hard to get people to read invincible. the first arch is not the best.
I splurged when Comixology recently had the deal of every issue (through 110 at the time) for $75. Less than a buck an issue. I've been making my way through and am up through the late 50s now (the Wolf-Man crossover issue; pausing cuz I'm going to pick up that series or at least the issue of that series that crosses over so I don't miss anything). Agreed that things really do get interesting after the first anniversary issue, so you need to give it more than 12 issues. If you've gotten to 15 or 20 and still aren't interested I can see giving it up.

In my case since I haven't read and no plans to start reading Invincible anytime in the near future due to a lack of money and having zero interest in it or anything else written by Robert Kirkman (he's not bad, he's just not written anything that I want to read) but if I'm not entertained in the first year there is no way in hell I will waste my money and my time on a book's second year in the hopes that it will good. AFAIC 12 issues is a considerable investment in my money and time and if an ongoing comic book series fails to entertain me by #12, then I see no reason to keep wasting money on a book that is not giving me any enjoyment. I've done that song and dance and got burned way too many times to waste my money and more importantly my time on a book like The Walking Dead. I gave it a chance it wasn't my cup of tea, and I don't see anything great about it now and the same with Invincible.

And by throwing money away on books that I don't like and hoping that get good it takes me away from good books that I actually like. Honestly I wish that Jay Faber would bring Noble Causes back because that was a damn great book.
cool. you're missing out on a great book.

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

Cyberstrike wrote:
It's kind of surprising to hear that someone likes Noble Causes, but not Invincible. They are pretty similar books. I loved NC, but Invincible is still my favorite comic.

Invincible is slow at first because Kirkman was pretty green when it started. With Noble Causes, Jay had already been writing stuff for Marvel and DC for a while so he kind of set the tone of the book earlier on. Maybe Jay will do well enough on the tv writing that he can crank out a few more NC books without worrying about bills. He has a new book coming out soon. I support all his books, but NC is still my favorite.
ASM Crossover Home

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

Had I been buying individual issues of Invincible when it started publication, I may have given up on it, but as I had heard very good things about it, I bought the digital package when it went on sale. Less than 75 cents an issue seemed like a pretty good deal. I think that the first dozen or so issues were still entertaining, but the dynamic of the Invincible universe gets really interesting after the first anniversary.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

I'm re-reading star wars legacy right now. I'm about 10 issues in.
I think I've read up to #16ish. I think I have a up until 40ish.

Stoked to read it

Brother Darque

Post by Brother Darque »

got vol. 2 of Talon, sad to see it end.

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)

Post by jeremycoe »

Just read the Serenity: Leaves on the Wind mini, it was really good.
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

jeremycoe wrote:Just read the Serenity: Leaves on the Wind mini, it was really good.
I need to get that.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Elveen wrote:I'm re-reading star wars legacy right now. I'm about 10 issues in.

Stoked to read it
I've never gotten into the Legacy era SW stuff... some of it seemed to depart too much from the spirit of the setting for me personally (just IMO).

I just got #20 of the current straight-up 'Star Wars' series, with Luke/Leia/Han/Chewie set between Ep.4 & 5... but I think this was the final issue, I'm sad to see it go - and in general I'm sad to see the books get taken away from Dark Horse.

I see that Marvel is planning on launching three SW books that basically all are a split-up repeat of this DH SW book that just ended... so we get a rehash story that will cost $12 a month to read instead of the $3 DH book. Wow. :roll:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

grendeljd wrote:

Stoked to read it
I've never gotten into the Legacy era SW stuff... some of it seemed to depart too much from the spirit of the setting for me personally (just IMO).

I just got #20 of the current straight-up 'Star Wars' series, with Luke/Leia/Han/Chewie set between Ep.4 & 5... but I think this was the final issue, I'm sad to see it go - and in general I'm sad to see the books get taken away from Dark Horse.

I see that Marvel is planning on launching three SW books that basically all are a split-up repeat of this DH SW book that just ended... so we get a rehash story that will cost $12 a month to read instead of the $3 DH book. Wow. :roll:
And a $100 (if not more) omnibus reprinting the first 45 issues (I think it's #1-44 and annual #1) of the original Marvel series from the 70s and 80s. Hasn't DH already reprinted that stuff in a set of less expensive omnibuses?
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

grendeljd wrote:

Stoked to read it
Same here. To me Star Wars ends somewhere around the end of the Thrawn trilogy. No Yuuzhan Vong, no chewbacca's dying, none of that. I don't like the Solo kids, don't like Ben, and that Cade(?) seemed always a bit of a fan-service character- he's a bada** force-user bounty-hunter. No one is more awesome than this guy! :wink:
I heard the good reviews on the series for years- since it started, it had it's rabid following (I used to lurk around the Force.net forums a lot) but it just didn't "feel like SW" to me. That said, there might be a great comic in there, I just never felt the urgence to read it. :thumb:

I understand people getting upset about the move to Marvel, but I am very happy that EVERYTHING will finally count, as in one big story. The DH series were always seen as sub-canon, just like everything else non-movie, as we all know. They are finally putting that canon Holocron to good use, imo.

On-topic: finished the new editions of "Bruce Wayne: Murderer/Fugitive". Lots of stuff that wasn't in the original 3 trades, worth the money. Particularly liked a lot of the Batgirl issues, I really dig "nice" Cassie (*SQUEE* One Year Later).
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Uncle Yusuf
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 2013 reading Rob Venditti
Favorite character: Aric of Dacia
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti

Post by Uncle Yusuf »

I'm currently reading:

Batman
Batman: Eternal
Batman and Robin
Batman Beyond Universe
Detective Comics
New 52: Future's End
Earth 2
Green Lantern
Green Lantern Corps
Green Lantern: New Guardians
Red Lanterns
Sinestro
Green Arrow
The Flash
Aquaman
Aquaman and the Others
Justice League
Justice League United
The Multiversity

X-O Manowar
Harbinger Omegas
Bloodshot
Archer and Armstrong
Quantum and Woody
Rai
Armor Hunters
Armor Hunters: Bloodshot
Armor Hunters: Harbinger

Turok: Dinosaur Hunter
Magnus: Robot Fighter
Solar: Man of the Atom
Last edited by Uncle Yusuf on Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:56:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

comicsyte95
It's Porktastic!!!
It's Porktastic!!!

Post by comicsyte95 »

Currently reading Thanos Rising and next Infinity.This morning read Thanos annual #1 it had a new take on Infinity Gauntlet that I thought was cool.
If I just can't be me ,and the Arrow isn't enough.. then maybe I should be Ra's al Ghul

ilzuccone

Post by ilzuccone »

comicsyte95 wrote:Currently reading Thanos Rising and next Infinity.This morning read Thanos annual #1 it had a new take on Infinity Gauntlet that I thought was cool.
I liked thanos rising. Infinity was frustrating to say the least. Prepare yourself to read page after page of people standing (or sitting) around talking.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

ilzuccone wrote:
comicsyte95 wrote:Currently reading Thanos Rising and next Infinity.This morning read Thanos annual #1 it had a new take on Infinity Gauntlet that I thought was cool.
I liked thanos rising. Infinity was frustrating to say the least. Prepare yourself to read page after page of people standing (or sitting) around talking.
I enjoyed both.

ilzuccone

Post by ilzuccone »

lorddunlow wrote:
ilzuccone wrote:
I enjoyed both.
Hickmans ideas are always amazing. He is working on another level... But he loves throwing characters in a black room sitting at a table. Or talking in front of a vista. Zzzzzzzz

comicsyte95
It's Porktastic!!!
It's Porktastic!!!

Post by comicsyte95 »

I enjoyed Infinity as well the only thing I didn't like wasthe living death of Thaneit reminded me of when Thanos being turned to stone when he first died.

Are the tie ins to Infinity any good I didn't read them yet?
If I just can't be me ,and the Arrow isn't enough.. then maybe I should be Ra's al Ghul

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

comicsyte95 wrote:
Are the tie ins to Infinity any good I didn't read them yet?
They vary widely. I still haven't read the two miniseries (The Hunt and something else).

The Captain Marvel issues were good. The Guardians of the Galaxy issues made me a monthly reader. Most of the others were meh. Spider-woman sucks *SQUEE* - seriously, does anyone like that book?

Uncle Yusuf
Valiant fan since: 2013 reading Rob Venditti
Favorite character: Aric of Dacia
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti

Post by Uncle Yusuf »

Brother Darque wrote:today I got the first issue of Captain Victory And The Galactic Rangers.

Really? I love good sci-fi books and I've been buying and reading Dynamite's Gold Key line, but I haven't picked this up. What's so great about it? What did you like?

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

Batgirl: Year One.
Awesome. After reading this, I have so much more respect for Babs' Batgirl as a vigilante and as an all-around great character. Best thing I read on her, ever. It's VERY good.

As soon as I finished it, I mailed my LCS to add this series to my pull, starting with #35 (the new, happy Babs). :D I hope that they look to this series a lot when writing the new Batgirl. :thumb:
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Brother Darque

Post by Brother Darque »

Uncle Yusuf wrote:
Brother Darque wrote:today I got the first issue of Captain Victory And The Galactic Rangers.

Really? I love good sci-fi books and I've been buying and reading Dynamite's Gold Key line, but I haven't picked this up. What's so great about it? What did you like?
it features three artists, Nathan Fox, Jim Rugg, and Ulises Farinas. written by Joe Casey. brings back a classic Jack Kirby character, one of the few characters that Jack Kirby got to legally own.

a great Kirby style Sci-fi story where the action doesn't let up.

http://www.dynamite.com/htmlfiles/viewP ... 1926801011" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

chriskay99
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Location: The surrounding metropolitan area of Los Angeles, CA

Post by chriskay99 »

I dropped Manifest Destiny from my pull list last night. The last 3 issues have ended the exact same way facepalm. La la la, some stuff happens, then turn the second to last page - bam, a full page of some new creature jumping out! :o If it's supposed to hook a reader into the next issue, it ain't working for me.

I also dropped Ms. Marvel since I just wasn't that into it.

I did add Velvet to my pull list, though! :thumb:
Black Science. Lazarus. Birthright. Saga. Manifest Destiny. Deadly Class.

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

Is anyone reading "WinterWorld" from Chuck Dixon and IDW comics? The first trade is available to order in the September Previews and this looks like an interesting read to me. I see that it is based on Dixon's original WinterWorld series from the 1980's.

Any feedback would be appreciated. :)

Thanks,

Michael
mkb28

400yrs
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

Eric Shanower's Age of Bronze:A Thousand Ships

The first in a planned 7 volume work retelling the story of the Trojan War, this book was an amazing read. There are three volumes out thus far with the third being 2 parts. I'd highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys topics of this nature. Shanower has stayed away from much of the Greek god aspects which lets the story of the actual characters breathe more.

This is great stuff. I'd love to see an oversized hardcover one day.
ASM Crossover Home