Mapping out VH1 here...

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

IanAlexavier
Valiant. Back to basics.
Valiant. Back to basics.
Location: SE Michigan, 21 bound books done.. many more to go...
Re: Mapping out VH1 here...

Post by IanAlexavier »

Those books look great!! I remember my first shipment, I was excited and anxious. It's so nice to pull the new ones out and admire them. :)

Donovan
...formerly The Beyonder
...formerly The Beyonder
Valiant fan since: Unity. The first time.
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: VEI Quantum & Woody
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Romulo Fajardo

Post by Donovan »

I was hoping you had that done with H&R. You are correct - top notch customer service, and ready, willing and able to fix any mistakes!

1st Among Equals

Post by 1st Among Equals »

So here's a question for you guys, are the original solar, Magnus , and turok books along with vintage Magnus 1-4 simply reprints of old Gold Key Stories? Also are the Punx books and Outcast Special worth including in the bound books at all, not sure if they have any actual reading worth.

iwantvaliant
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by iwantvaliant »

1st Among Equals wrote:So here's a question for you guys, are the original solar, Magnus , and turok books along with vintage Magnus 1-4 simply reprints of old Gold Key Stories? Also are the Punx books and Outcast Special worth including in the bound books at all, not sure if they have any actual reading worth.
Original and Vintage are reprints along with the Captain Johner books.

The other five books are Valiant. Like they say on the Appalachian Trail though, hike your own hike. It only matters if you want to include them.
My podcast reviews the Valiant trades: http://vepodcast.wordpress.com/
And my timeline on the original Valiant Universe: http://valiantfans.com/vctimeline/

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

1st Among Equals wrote:Got my first batch of books in, couldn't be more happy with them, more pics to come.

Gorgeous! I so want to get mine done someday, but just can't afford it.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

IanAlexavier
Valiant. Back to basics.
Valiant. Back to basics.

Post by IanAlexavier »

:bump:

There are a few people talking about binding so I thought Id bump this to the front in case they want to check this thread out :thumb:

1st Among Equals

Just got the last of my Valiant VH1 bindings in. I would have to say these are one of my prized possessions, they have so much work and love into them. The project was a headache at times trying to make each book an individual read including all the aspects of a story without needed to go back and forth between books, but the end result is well worth it. I would recommend to anyone to do this as it is such a neat item that will stay in a collection forever, and has crazy amounts of customization. I'll be posting some of my mappings of titles that were different later on just incase someone wanted a look at different versions. I still need to have my Defiant, Broadway, and some Marvel Events bound. I also need to have my Magnus Robert Fighter fixed still :P Feel free to ask any questions.

Some extras:

Unity 2000 #4-6 Script

Added new versions of covers whenever I could find for cheap.

Nameless7
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: Eternal Warrior

Post by Nameless7 »

Those look absolutely amazing - I am working on a similar project and I know how much effort you must have gone through. ( i have not even collected half the stuff I need yet. )

I opted to make thinner however as these will be what I will use to get the wife to read Valiant - she specifically said she would 'maybe' read them in bed and did not want giant omnibus size books.

Your collection is very encouraging!

ilzuccone
Valiant fan since: VEI

Post by ilzuccone »

:o love it.

i like how you interspersed the valiant books throughout the shelf.

ilzuccone

Post by ilzuccone »

oh i also love the 2 page spreads with old and new cover comparisons.

Phoenix8008

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Beautiful books! Great job. I really should just start small and do a single book at a time or something to get started. I'm never going to have the funds to just do it all at once, but maybe a single book once in a while. I think the thing I'd most like to bind would be my 4001 combined collection of Magnus, Rai, and Psi- Lords all mixed together chronologically! That would be multiple books by itself though. That, and I would need another bookshelf to store them on! That'll make my wife so happy! :roll: Although it would open up room in the closet where they're stored on the storage shelves for now. :hm:
Viva la Valiant!

TheFerg714
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

1st Among Equals wrote:Just got the last of my Valiant VH1 bindings in. I would have to say these are one of my prized possessions, they have so much work and love into them. The project was a headache at times trying to make each book an individual read including all the aspects of a story without needed to go back and forth between books, but the end result is well worth it. I would recommend to anyone to do this as it is such a neat item that will stay in a collection forever, and has crazy amounts of customization. I'll be posting some of my mappings of titles that were different later on just incase someone wanted a look at different versions. I still need to have my Defiant, Broadway, and some Marvel Events bound. I also need to have my Magnus Robert Fighter fixed still :P Feel free to ask any questions.
Awesome! First of all, where did you get that bookshelf? It's beautiful.

Secondly, can I see a photo of your table of contents, and any other extra pages you added? I'm thinking about getting The Ultimates, Lemire's Green Arrow, and maybe Archer & Armstrong bound.
It seems simple enough, but I'm not sure about the other stuff that I need to add to make the book "complete." I'll be going to Denver for 4:20 ( :high-five: ) and I'll probably stop by Denver Book Binding to get something fixed up.

IanAlexavier
Valiant. Back to basics.
Valiant. Back to basics.

Post by IanAlexavier »

Really great looking collection! Its such a labor of love. I found that the journey of binding my boss was just as rewarding as the final product, maybe even a little anti climactic, lol. Looks great!

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)

Post by jeremycoe »

IanAlexavier wrote: I found that the journey of binding my boss was just as rewarding as the final product, maybe even a little anti climactic, lol.
But how did your boss feel :P
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

jeremycoe wrote:
IanAlexavier wrote: I found that the journey of binding my boss was just as rewarding as the final product, maybe even a little anti climactic, lol.
:lol:
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

IanAlexavier
Valiant. Back to basics.
Valiant. Back to basics.

Post by IanAlexavier »

lorddunlow wrote:
jeremycoe wrote:

:oops: :o. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Honestly, i meant books! Lol too funny!

ilzuccone

Post by ilzuccone »

IanAlexavier wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
jeremycoe wrote:

:oops: :o. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Honestly, i meant books! Lol too funny!
boss binding… :hm: i think i watched a video on that once.

1st Among Equals

Thanks for all the kind words. :thumb: I thought about having my boss bound but decided to just stick with my books :P
TheFerg714 wrote: Awesome! First of all, where did you get that bookshelf? It's beautiful.

Secondly, can I see a photo of your table of contents, and any other extra pages you added? I'm thinking about getting The Ultimates, Lemire's Green Arrow, and maybe Archer & Armstrong bound.
It seems simple enough, but I'm not sure about the other stuff that I need to add to make the book "complete." I'll be going to Denver for 4:20 ( :high-five: ) and I'll probably stop by Denver Book Binding to get something fixed up.
The shelf is from Ikea and is the Expedit model, which is sadly no longer available the last I checked.

As for the extras, I didn't include a table of contents as I usually skip right past them anyways in a regular book. For the extra pages that I personally added, I would just include any ads, related content, and letters to the editor at the back of the book. I removed all unessary pages included double sided ads and the back pages of each book to make it as smooth of a reading experience as possible. I than went through all the pages I removed from all the books and collected the content into a separate miscellaneous book.

Here's some examples of my miscellaneous Valiant book

Here are some examples of things that I included in the back of my individual book that were directly tied to the characters.

MoonChild
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
Favorite character: BloodShot
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by MoonChild »

:clap:
Click the Sig, Hear Something Different!
http://www.reverbnation.com/lexmoon
Also, Check my reverbnation page^

Phoenix8008

Post by Phoenix8008 »

I'm sure this has been talked about somewhere in the preceding 21 pages of this thread, or maybe another thread about binding books, but what are folks doing about the overlapping pages in Magnus #5 for the flipbook with Rai? Has someone done a scan that's available to print out of one of the two pages? Or are people just demolishing two copies of the book to get the pages needed to bind it?

Another question for those who have bound books through Herring & Robinson - how do they charge for shipping? I can see the prices for all the options in building the book itself, but once it's done, do they just contact you and tell you the total cost including s&h back to you? This is after you shipping the books to them along with a printed/filled out order sheet I assume?
Viva la Valiant!

1st Among Equals

I found the best way to bind the Magnus issues is to purchase the tpb as the pages are in correct order and orientation.

As for shipping, yes they will contact you with a total including shipping charges .

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

Phoenix8008 wrote:I'm sure this has been talked about somewhere in the preceding 21 pages of this thread, or maybe another thread about binding books, but what are folks doing about the overlapping pages in Magnus #5 for the flipbook with Rai? Has someone done a scan that's available to print out of one of the two pages? Or are people just demolishing two copies of the book to get the pages needed to bind it?

Another question for those who have bound books through Herring & Robinson - how do they charge for shipping? I can see the prices for all the options in building the book itself, but once it's done, do they just contact you and tell you the total cost including s&h back to you? This is after you shipping the books to them along with a printed/filled out order sheet I assume?
I just bound the issues like they came out and I flip the book over if I want to read the Rai stories.

Phoenix8008

Post by Phoenix8008 »

1st Among Equals wrote:I found the best way to bind the Magnus issues is to purchase the tpb as the pages are in correct order and orientation.

As for shipping, yes they will contact you with a total including shipping charges .
I'm looking at your pics above showing examples of your books, and I'm wondering which options you chose to get those results, and approximately how much you paid per book. On the H&R website, I see several of the following options listed:
Decorative panel lines…….........$1.00 per line
Bonded leather……….……..$6.00 per volume
Front cover lettering ……..…$10.00 each volume
Head bands ……………….. $2.50 per volume
Black endpapers…………… $3.00 per book
Ribbon markers………….… $2.00 per ribbon
Die imprinting …………...….$6.00 per impression
Hand Sew.............................$20.00 per volume
For instance, are you paying $4 for two double panel lines(one top, and one bottom on the spine)? Is that material bonded leather, or the regular Buckram? I can tell you get the 1 inch Valiant logo die imprinting ($6, right?). Is the rest of the text on the spine (the 'Valiant' text above the logo, the sideways volume title, and the roman numeral for the volume number) all included in the basic costs? It looks like you're not doing front cover lettering or logos, correct?
Viva la Valiant!

1st Among Equals

Phoenix8008 wrote:
1st Among Equals wrote:I found the best way to bind the Magnus issues is to purchase the tpb as the pages are in correct order and orientation.

I'm looking at your pics above showing examples of your books, and I'm wondering which options you chose to get those results, and approximately how much you paid per book. On the H&R website, I see several of the following options listed:
For instance, are you paying $4 for two double panel lines(one top, and one bottom on the spine)? Is that material bonded leather, or the regular Buckram? I can tell you get the 1 inch Valiant logo die imprinting ($6, right?). Is the rest of the text on the spine (the 'Valiant' text above the logo, the sideways volume title, and the roman numeral for the volume number) all included in the basic costs? It looks like you're not doing front cover lettering or logos, correct?

Hopefully I can answer some of your questions. My books cost $26 each at the time, but I believe the price has gone up. I don't remember if the double line cost per line or just $2. The writing in the sides is free, but the die stamp did cost $5 at the time each. I stuck with the regular buckram. I did not do handsewn as I took out all of the double sided adds to save space. My books are oversewn. So basically I got the regular binding methods, only options chosen are double panel lines and die stamp. I wish I would have gone for the headbands looking back.

Phoenix8008

Post by Phoenix8008 »

1st Among Equals wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote:

Hopefully I can answer some of your questions. My books cost $26 each at the time, but I believe the price has gone up. I don't remember if the double line cost per line or just $2. The writing in the sides is free, but the die stamp did cost $5 at the time each. I stuck with the regular buckram. I did not do handsewn as I took out all of the double sided adds to save space. My books are oversewn. So basically I got the regular binding methods, only options chosen are double panel lines and die stamp. I wish I would have gone for the headbands looking back.
Awesome! Thanks for the info. I may actually be getting some of this done soon, so the homework has started. I think I will go for having headbands, and also to have a ribbon marker in each. Now I just have to decide if I'm going to do the whole collection matching in the same colors, or try and make them individual to the title (like making X-O a blue cover with gold lettering/headband/ribbon, or Solar a red cover with yellow lettering/headband/ribbon, etc). I plan on using the Valiant logo stamp at the top like yours have, and I'm contemplating doing the individual character die stamp at the bottom of each book.

On the order form, it has something asking about 'Trimming all edges: Y/N?'. Did you use this option? I assume that's to give it a uniform and even top/side/bottom edge? I see from your pics that you stuck with the standard white endpapers as well. I'll probably be doing that too, since it looks fine to me that way.
Viva la Valiant!