The First Church Of Jim Shooter

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

omega_override
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2014

Post by omega_override »

Thought it might be interesting to hear thoughts on the man who founded this comic book company that we all adore. Obviously in the industry Shooter is considered a very polarizing figure, namely during his nine year tenure at Marvel where he was compared to Hitler by the likes of John Bryne and Marv Wolfman just to name a few (even though his time with Marvel often compared to that of company's initial 60's boom period) . There's also of course the Elephant in the room in regards to his failed attempt at partnership with Dinesh and Jason.....

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that
Re: The First Church Of Jim Shooter

Post by Elveen »

TONS of posts on this subject.

He got me into comics with Valiant. So thank you Jim for that.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Jim Shooter contributed to comic both as an art form and as an industry. Our hobby is better for his participation in it, not just Valiant but the hobby as a whole. I don't think Jim has anything left he wants to contribute.

I was translating an article earlier today about Marvel comics and translated a section about Jim Shooter.

Andy
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?

Post by Andy »

I've got around 35,000 comics across several decades and have found that they became readable when Shooter was editing. When he was in charge some of the stuff from Marvel was great but almost everything was coherent.

nscc
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite title: X-O/Harby/A+A/Unity
Favorite writer: Vditti/Dysart/FVL/Kindt
Favorite artist: soo many pretty pictures...

Post by nscc »

Finally a cult I can join!

:high-five:
Where are we going and why am I in this hand-basket?

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

He's had a lot of ups and downs over his career, but made Valiant a force to be reckoned with in the comic world. A shame he chose to go with Dark Horse over VEI, but that's a decision he will have live with. I can't imagine that he's happy with the choice he made though.

doodlebird
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Harbinger / A & A
Favorite writer: was Shooter
Favorite artist: Lapham, Starlin, Henry, and...

Post by doodlebird »

Daniel Jackson wrote:He's had a lot of ups and downs over his career, but made Valiant a force to be reckoned with in the comic world. A shame he chose to go with Dark Horse over VEI, but that's a decision he will have live with. I can't imagine that he's happy with the choice he made though.
:thumb:
read me, HC/TPB me; sign me, sketch me, slab me.
S.SAHLE

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Daniel Jackson wrote:A shame he chose to go with Dark Horse over VEI, but that's a decision he will have live with. I can't imagine that he's happy with the choice he made though.
Yeah, that's gotta sting. Imagine for a moment how different the VEI rollout would have been if he stuck around.

cray_ws
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1992 - X-O Manawar
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Peter Milligan
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by cray_ws »

Shooter is the epitome of what an editor should be. He ruled with an iron fist, which is why some writers didn't like him. He held continuity in extremely high regard. He tried to balance the creative talent within the confines of a massive universe of Marvel and keep the ship right, but too many writers and artist complained and he ultimately got the boot.

Valiant is where he really shined as an editor, he understood and respected the literary priority of comics, as opposed to heavy-handed marketing of today's comics. I fear there will never be another Jim Shooter, but I hope Warren Simons has at least half the conviction and determination to protect and cherish the continuity of the new Valiant universe.

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

jmatt wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote:A shame he chose to go with Dark Horse over VEI, but that's a decision he will have live with. I can't imagine that he's happy with the choice he made though.
Yeah, that's gotta sting. Imagine for a moment how different the VEI rollout would have been if he stuck around.
Different could mean better, or it could mean worse. Honestly, I think this path may have worked better for VEI thann having Shooter on board. Possibly his time is gone. These things seem to go in phases.

I liked his salvaging of the LoSH threeboot, but the DH stuff seemed flawed in some ways.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

leonmallett wrote:
jmatt wrote:
Different could mean better, or it could mean worse. Honestly, I think this path may have worked better for VEI thann having Shooter on board. Possibly his time is gone. These things seem to go in phases.

I liked his salvaging of the LoSH threeboot, but the DH stuff seemed flawed in some ways.
IMO, his Dark Horse work seemed a little dated, especially Magnus. I did however, like the short origin story he did for the Harby trade. Oh well, I guess all we can do now is just speculate as to what kind of contributions he would have made for the new VU.

etos45
I live to be inefficient!

Post by etos45 »

I would be very curious to hear what his plan was for the new Valiant. My guess is that it would have stayed somewhere in the original timeline (just judging from the tpb stories).

While I would like to see something done with him some day (much like what they did with Q&W), I'm glad it didn't work out. VEI would have been tied too much to the gimmick of "Jim Shooter's Valiant". I think he would of eventually left and the company would have fallen apart.

whovian
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter

Post by whovian »

I equate Shooter with quality. He made Legion of Super-Heroes a book worth reading in the Seventies, Marvel worth buying in the Eighties, and Valiant a force to combat in the Nineties. As time passes, it seems the writers who disliked Shooter at Marvel had very good reasons for being slapped down by Shooter. While I have mixed feelings about Defiant, I really miss Broadway. The short run of Gold Key characters at Dark Horse was fine but not great.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

leonmallett wrote:
jmatt wrote:
Different could mean better, or it could mean worse.
Of course. I merely meant different. If he had stayed around, Magnus and Solar would be pillars of the new incarnation. I can't say whether that would be better or worse. It certainly didn't work out for Dark Horse, so perhaps we're all better off.

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

Daniel Jackson wrote:
leonmallett wrote:
jmatt wrote:

IMO, his Dark Horse work seemed a little dated, especially Magnus. I did however, like the short origin story he did for the Harby trade. Oh well, I guess all we can do now is just speculate as to what kind of contributions he would have made for the new VU.
I think dated is the right way to frame it. A number of veteran writers have not really moved on their styles, and it can show when compared to fresher authorial voices in the medium.

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

whovian wrote:I equate Shooter with quality. He made Legion of Super-Heroes a book worth reading in the Seventies, Marvel worth buying in the Eighties, and Valiant a force to combat in the Nineties. As time passes, it seems the writers who disliked Shooter at Marvel had very good reasons for being slapped down by Shooter. While I have mixed feelings about Defiant, I really miss Broadway. The short run of Gold Key characters at Dark Horse was fine but not great.
Shooter has been an arch self-publicist when it has suited him, and his version of events has been refuted on occasion. I suspect that the truth lies somewhere in the middle of the views of the opposing sides, but I would suggest that Shooter accordingly may not always have had 'good reasons' for 'slapping people down'.

His reign clearly reinvigorated Marvel, but there are a lot of comments to be found from those working at Marvel while he was there about Shooter's manner and behaviours. So arguably that ethos of 'slapping down' may have simply been the man's way rather than because people deserved to be treated unreasonably.

Roy Thomas wrote:
When Jim Shooter took over, for better or worse he decided to rein things in – he wanted stories told the way he wanted them told. It's not a matter of whether Jim Shooter was right or wrong; it's a matter of a different approach. He was editor-in-chief and had a right to impose what he wanted to. I thought it was kind of dumb, but I don't think Jim was dumb. I think the approach was wrong, and I don't think it really helped anything.
Tony Isabella wrote:
http://tonyisabella.blogspot.co.uk/2011 ... -fire.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
At the end of the day, Jim Shooter is a human being like the rest of us. He can list some amazing accomplishments on his record and some sterling acts of good will. But that’s only part of his tale and the other part has its fair share of distortion, outright lies,
bad behavior, and such. We are all the heroes of our own stories and it’s not uncommon for people to “rewrite” those stories to put
themselves in the best possible light.
From this blog an anecdote about events leading to Shooter's removal:
http://www.geekpittsburgh.com/comics/jimshooter.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The dissention in the ranks reached the point where Marvel staff members burned an effigy of Shooter at a barbeque thrown by former Uncanny X-Men artist John Byrne. When executives of New World Pictures, who had recently purchased Marvel Comics, saw the resulting video, they quickly removed Shooter as editor-in-chief.
The point is that for the good Shooter undoubtedly achieved in his tenure, there is also the arguable bad (including driving away some star creators, and in doing inadvertently creating hits for the distinguished competition with the likes of New Teen Titans?). There is light and shade, and try not to overlook that his behaviours were directed at other people.

slym2none
a typical message board assassin
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

etos45 wrote:I would be very curious to hear what his plan was for the new Valiant. My guess is that it would have stayed somewhere in the original timeline (just judging from the tpb stories).

While I would like to see something done with him some day (much like what they did with Q&W), I'm glad it didn't work out. VEI would have been tied too much to the gimmick of "Jim Shooter's Valiant". I think he would of have eventually left and the company would have fallen apart.
FTFY

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Just my opinion, but the stereotype for artists and/or writers is often one where time and deadlines are a bit ambiguous. While, yes, work must be submitted correctly and/or on-time, it is important to note that the Editor-in-Chief must establish and/or enforce what and when exactly that must be.

For any business (which is what any comic book company is) to be successful, they need to be consistent, meet deadlines, take risks, and move beyond their comfort-zones. They need to be both relevant and fresh; and often you NEED a man like JIM SHOOTER to make this all occurs.

There exists a number of creative geniuses out there, however, we hear time and time again about how a band just couldn’t agree and broke up, or how a great movie idea got stuck in creative limbo, or how a comic is delayed months or its story becomes convoluted and breaks away from the established time-line or continuity.

Men like SHOOTER have the ability to take these geniuses, and keep them on track when they otherwise might not have.

Effective management is typically NOT well liked and/or appreciated by the creative minds that fall under their charge. It is typically unpleasant to be told that you are taking too long, or producing a sub-par product. “How dare he call me out!!!! Who made him the king of creative control!!! I put my heart and soul into this page!!! What a **squee**” etc.

We tend to hate people like SHOOTER; but we sure as hell seem to enjoy the results they produce.

DBS

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

DirtbagSailor wrote:Just my opinion, but the stereotype for artists and/or writers is often one where time and deadlines are a bit ambiguous. While, yes, work must be submitted correctly and/or on-time, it is important to note that the Editor-in-Chief must establish and/or enforce what and when exactly that must be.

For any business (which is what any comic book company is) to be successful, they need to be consistent, meet deadlines, take risks, and move beyond their comfort-zones. They need to be both relevant and fresh; and often you NEED a man like JIM SHOOTER to make this all occurs.

There exists a number of creative geniuses out there, however, we hear time and time again about how a band just couldn’t agree and broke up, or how a great movie idea got stuck in creative limbo, or how a comic is delayed months or its story becomes convoluted and breaks away from the established time-line or continuity.

Men like SHOOTER have the ability to take these geniuses, and keep them on track when they otherwise might not have.

Effective management is typically NOT well liked and/or appreciated by the creative minds that fall under their charge. It is typically unpleasant to be told that you are taking too long, or producing a sub-par product. “How dare he call me out!!!! Who made him the king of creative control!!! I put my heart and soul into this page!!! What a **squee**” etc.

We tend to hate people like SHOOTER; but we sure as hell seem to enjoy the results they produce.

DBS
QFT
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

etos45

Post by etos45 »

slym2none wrote:
etos45 wrote:I would be very curious to hear what his plan was for the new Valiant. My guess is that it would have stayed somewhere in the original timeline (just judging from the tpb stories).

While I would like to see something done with him some day (much like what they did with Q&W), I'm glad it didn't work out. VEI would have been tied too much to the gimmick of "Jim Shooter's Valiant". I think he would of have eventually left and the company would have fallen apart.
FTFY

-slym
Always a pleasure, Slym. :|

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

lorddunlow wrote:
DirtbagSailor wrote:Just my opinion, but the stereotype for artists and/or writers is often one where time and deadlines are a bit ambiguous. While, yes, work must be submitted correctly and/or on-time, it is important to note that the Editor-in-Chief must establish and/or enforce what and when exactly that must be.

DBS
QFT
I'm no stranger to such hatred. :P

DBS

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

DirtbagSailor wrote:Men like SHOOTER have the ability to take these geniuses, and keep them on track when they otherwise might not have.

Effective management is typically NOT well liked and/or appreciated by the creative minds that fall under their charge. It is typically unpleasant to be told that you are taking too long, or producing a sub-par product. ...

DBS
Sir, yes, sir!

It's true, ya can't argue with the results.

doodlebird
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite title: Harbinger / A & A
Favorite writer: was Shooter
Favorite artist: Lapham, Starlin, Henry, and...

Post by doodlebird »

DBS
Yep, plus Shooter is great writer as well. Heck, I even enjoyed his LSH back when he was 16 !
read me, HC/TPB me; sign me, sketch me, slab me.
S.SAHLE

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

DirtbagSailor wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:

DBS
QFT

DBS
Glad I'm not under your command! Lol
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

StarBrand wrote:
DirtbagSailor wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:

DBS
QFT

DBS
Glad I'm not under your command! Lol
Just saying that very few empires were ever built from kindness. Of course a balance must exist or ruthless kings get taken out, which we have also seen many times over.

DBS