LURKERS Mystery Contest - Winners Announced - :)

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

drmirage
WOW! OMG BBQ! Thats crazy!
Valiant fan since: 1990
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: BWS
LURKERS Mystery Contest - Winners Announced - :)

Post by drmirage »

LURKERS @ VALIANTFANS.COM MYSTERY CONTEST..... MORE MYSTERIOUS THAN "THE FATHER".....

Lurkers on ValiantFans.com have always been a MYSTERY. There's well over 2,000 members with less than 20 posts on this board. So who are these people? That being said, we're throwing up this MYSTERY BOX contest just for the ValiantFans.com members who have less than 50 posts.

As I write this, there are 42 users online :: 9 registered, 3 hidden and 30 guests (based on users active over the past 30 minutes). Most users ever online was 259 on Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:53 am.

-------------------

LURKERS @ VALIANTFANS.COM MYSTERY CONTEST

Bruce and I gave our lives to get these mysterious prizes out of a heavily-guarded Harbinger warehouse. We weren't sure what we were going to find, but we're very pleased at what's inside each of these Valiant Mystery Boxes. And what exactly is inside? Well, we're not going to tell you!

Because if we told you what was in a Valiant Mystery Box, then it wouldn't be a mystery, would it? But, we can tell you that each Valiant Mystery Box has $ worth of Valiant goodies inside. And a number of lurkers who participates will make sure that when The Deadside Awakens, it gets up on the right side of the bed. The Valiant Mystery Box is a winner for anyone who loves Valiant Comics. You deserve it.

Please Note: Two things. First, each Valiant Mystery Box contains the same products. Second, once you open yours, please don't ruin the surprise for others by posting comments or pictures.

CONTEST RULES:
-Active members with a separate 'low post count' account are disqualified.
-Participants must be a Registered/Joined Valiantfans.com on or before November 7th, 2014.
(Our newest ValiantFans.com member as of writing this joined on November 7th, 2014)
-Total Member Posts Count cannot be greater than 50 posts.
(You can exceed the 50 posts as long as the posts are made within this topic)

HOW TO ENTER:
- In 100 words or more, tell us what you think of the current Valiant Universe.

DEADLINE: November 19th, 2014

PRIZES / CONDITION:
0 - 20 Entries (1 randomly selected member will receive The Valiant Mystery Box)
21 - 49 Entries (3 randomly selected members will receive The Valiant Mystery Box)
46 - 99 Entries (10 randomly selected members will receive The Valiant Mystery Box)

(Winners will be selected randomly by the admins of this board)

Thanks for participating!
Last edited by drmirage on Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:02:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.

bygranddesign
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Re: LURKERS Mystery Contest - More Mysterious than "The Fath

Post by bygranddesign »

I don't think I qualify :hm: :D but cool contest :thumb:

Come on Lurkers ... Come out and play :-P
Ha! Yeah! Nice! Any of those dudes in your head mosh?! - Flamingo

brucehartshorn
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: MRF #1
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Shadowman

Post by brucehartshorn »

This is a promo which Elery and I have discussed for a long time and wanted to put out there to try and get the lurkers more involved with other members on the board. It's fast, short, and simple, but the prize for participants is pretty awesome :o . So here's urging everyone to get off the sidelines, get involved (because there are plenty of you), and try to win one of these packages :clap:

15 :hm:

raiden
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by raiden »

As a self-confessed lurker, I can get in on this (I'm trying to change - really!).

I used the first of my 15 posts (so far) to tell my Valiant story already. I'm assuming everyone's read it, so you know I've been following Valiant since the early days. Part of the reason it took me so long to register was that I couldn't decide on a good user name (I'm still not completely happy with it - I clearly also joined when VEI was launching Rai). And then it took a while to post because I couldn't settle on an avatar. All to say, I should have joined sooner because this place is fun.

What drew me to the Valiant Universe in the first place was that it was something different from the typical superhero fare. I've never really put my finger on quite what it was, but that particular combination of story and art just pulled me in. Here was a shared universe with characters who seemed more human and nuanced. The emphasis seemed to be placed on the quality of the story and the growth of characters. The universe didn't seem too crowded and it even spanned different timelines to provide the space for growth without bumping into other continuities (unless it made sense). I skipped the Acclaim version of Valiant, so I can't really comment, but VEI seems to have picked up and continued with the initial intentions of VH1.

The diversity of stories being told in this small, yet brimming with potential universe, has something for everyone's tastes. It really is accessible. I like that the books are focused on the quality of the stories and that there is a steady number of books put out each month that it's feasible to follow the entire universe. I like that there is a mix of longer and shorter runs on books so that stories can overlap, new characters can be introduced, and others can be further developed. I like seeing the current universe grow and the characters develop and interact. This seems to be how interesting stories like The Valiant come about - it almost happens naturally. I do want to see more Shadowman though (and I'm sure we will). This is one character who doesn't yet feel integrated into the whole universe (actually that whole branch, including Darque and Dr Mirage feels a bit disconnected), but should have a more prominent role. I'm not too worried about it though - given that the quality of the books keeps getting better, I'm looking forward to more Shadowman. I do miss the Gold Key characters because I've only ever thought of them as Valiant characters, but I do like that new characters are being developed that weren't in VH1. While it is being built in the image of VH1, the current Valiant Universe is its own creation and it's carving it's own space. And that's a good thing.

The Valiant Universe has also always had a great community and fan support, as evidenced by this forum. So if we're including the fans in the Valiant Universe, that's another strong point in its favour. I find it hard to believe there's over 2000 registered lurkers on here. I thought I was in the minority. It's more fun when you play anyway. Also makes me wonder how many non-registered lurkers there are... probably millions.

This started off as a comment, but I guess this is my entry.

Canadian Dunlow
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me

Post by Canadian Dunlow »

drmirage wrote:-Active members with a separate 'low post count' account are disqualified.
:!: :censored:

raiden

Post by raiden »

Canadian Dunlow already has more posts than me? This is embarrassing.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

raiden wrote:Canadian Dunlow already has more posts than me? This is embarrassing.
You're tied now.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Ramses818
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: X-O Manowar 14
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-o but maybe soon to be Rai
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Ramses818 »

raiden wrote:Canadian Dunlow already has more posts than me? This is embarrassing.
Anytime Dunlow does something it is embarrassing! Loll. Welcome Lurkers! Cool contest Elery and Bruce :thumb: . I was a lurker too until I was brought into the light by VEI relaunch. :cloud9:

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

lorddunlow wrote:
You're tied now.
The cool new guy is Canadian, that's one more for you to worry about Dunlow.

nscc
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite title: X-O/Harby/A+A/Unity
Favorite writer: Vditti/Dysart/FVL/Kindt
Favorite artist: soo many pretty pictures...

Post by nscc »

This is a really cool idea guys. :thumb:

Hopefully we get quite a few people entering. :clap:
Where are we going and why am I in this hand-basket?

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

Might I suggest an amendment to the rules that the winner must have had less than 20 posts before the 11/7 date specified? You don't want to discourage lurkers from posting, and it's easy enough to verify the post count by checking the member's page.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

drmirage

Post by drmirage »

Great suggestion! We certainly do not want to discourage lurkers from posting so lets include an additional 206 members with 21-50 posts counts along with the 2,170 members with 0-20 posts to qualify for this Mystery Contest.

Our first entry had 577 words, so lets do 100 words or more.... for each entry.

------------------------UPDATED RULES------------------------

CONTEST RULES:
-Active members with a separate 'low post count' account are disqualified.
-Participants must be a Registered/Joined Valiantfans.com on or before November 7th, 2014.
(Our newest ValiantFans.com member as of writing this joined on November 7th, 2014)
-Total Member Posts Count cannot be greater than 50 posts.
(You can exceed the 50 posts as long as the posts are made within this topic)

HOW TO ENTER:
- In 100 words or more, tell us what you think of the current Valiant Universe.

kjjohanson wrote:Might I suggest an amendment to the rules that the winner must have had less than 20 posts before the 11/7 date specified? You don't want to discourage lurkers from posting, and it's easy enough to verify the post count by checking the member's page.

raiden

Post by raiden »

Not that I want to lessen my odds, but I was hoping to see a few more entries by now. Still time...

drmirage

Post by drmirage »

Agree. There's only been one candidate.

Least there will be a declared winner if no one else participates.

In total there are 54 users online :: 9 registered, 7 hidden and 38 guests (based on users active over the past 30 minutes)

raiden

Post by raiden »

Am I really the only one with less than 50 posts who qualifies for this contest? There must be others out there - come on out!
I don't know why anyone would want to pass this one up :idontknow:

On another note, it occurs to me that "The Father" would be a good board name.

Moots
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by Moots »

I want to start of by saying that i have enjoyed creeping on all of you and
that it saddens me that i have to stepp out into the light as it makes my skin all crunchy :)

Anywho ever since i could crawl i have been exposed to the valiant universe. So when the valiant universe
was re booted i was so happy since i could now be nerdy about other things then my little pony and transformers.
The first thing that struck me was the stories, most noteably harbinger who is my alltime favorit title,
and the amazing yet flawed characters. They did not simply re boot the universe they re forged it for this day and age.

When i read them i feel that the writers have a lot of love for the characters. This is a re boot done right, this is
something the big two could only dream about.

Lets talk about Harbinger for a moment... Holy cow i had no idea what i was up for when first reading this! I know X-O
is supposed to be valiants flagship title but damn Dysart is kicking some major @$$ with this one. I love every character.
Even if Torque was annoying at first i just could not hate him because of his background, and the "perfect day" arc
just helped the character evolve even more. The possibility for this title alone is mindblowing. The scope of what the
omega harbingers are possible of just makes it even more interesting. And i know this might come of as being cheesy
but damn Peter is what i would like to call being damn close to being Jesus. All from him healing a crippled to gathering diciples.
I'm not sure if thats how Dysart intended to make him but thats what me and somme friends have speculated about.

Looking at all the characters in the Valiant universe i can't really figure out any character i dont like. I even
love the villains way more than i probably should.

If i would have to pick something that i dont like in the rebooted universe tho it would have to be shadowman.
Man did they miss a great chanse for epic stuff. The entire ocult vodoo thing in the universe is amazing and i actually
love the first arc of shadowman. But somewhere after that it just fell flat. I think it might have something to do with
the lack of a common thread. It seems like no writer really knows what to do with the character wish saddens me greatly
since shadowman is one of my alltime favorit heroes. While other kids praised batman i had shadowman. It just feels like
they couldn't catch that wonderfull mystery that was the shadowman loa. They sure have built up for somme possibly
awesome stuff but at the momment they need to find a focus for the title. I hate to say this but i would personaly love
if they would have keept the mysterie around the loa. Sure it's kinda cool with the exiled loa thing but damnit the writers
need get their heads straight!

Other then that i love everything that they are doing and i feel that its a great time to be a comicbook nerd to get to
grow with the ever expanding universe.

Anyway it was good to get out of my lurker cave, it had been a while since i last saw the sun...

//Lucas

Ramses818
Valiant fan since: X-O Manowar 14
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-o but maybe soon to be Rai
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Ramses818 »

nice to see you Lucas!

Moots

Post by Moots »

boyd13
Magnus, Solar, and Turok
Magnus, Solar, and Turok
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: eternal Warrior
Favorite title: rai, eternal

Post by boyd13 »

So here I am putting finger to keyboard and exposing myself to all of you to see. No longer A LURKER, though this is my first post and who knows I might dissolve back into the shadows after this post.
So I have been out of comics a good part of 12 years though I do remember picking up my first Valiant Eternal Warrior and reading that book 4/5 times in one sitting. After that initial comic, I was hooked on valiant... loved bloodshot the stories, the artwork, Rai, X-O, Harbinger all of them were fantastic.
And now a new friend, introducing me to a new Valiant, and as a result, a new fire for Valiant comics. He allowed me to read X-O and I cannot put it down. The artwork is amazing the stories solid, just like it was in the nineties, keeping true, at least for this comic fan boy.
A big thank you for the return of Valiant and all the great books. :clap:

bobby97801
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by bobby97801 »

boyd13 wrote:So here I am putting finger to keyboard and exposing myself to all of you to see. No longer A LURKER, though this is my first post and who knows I might dissolve back into the shadows after this post.
So I have been out of comics a good part of 12 years though I do remember picking up my first Valiant Eternal Warrior and reading that book 4/5 times in one sitting. After that initial comic, I was hooked on valiant... loved bloodshot the stories, the artwork, Rai, X-O, Harbinger all of them were fantastic.
And now a new friend, introducing me to a new Valiant, and as a result, a new fire for Valiant comics. He allowed me to read X-O and I cannot put it down. The artwork is amazing the stories solid, just like it was in the nineties, keeping true, at least for this comic fan boy.
A big thank you for the return of Valiant and all the great books. :clap:
Mike,
Stop being a lurker. You are creeping everyone out :P Glad you finally posted on the site.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

So, I've been posting a lot less lately, so I'm essentially re-lurkerized, right?
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Moots

Post by Moots »

lorddunlow wrote:So, I've been posting a lot less lately, so I'm essentially re-lurkerized, right?
Once a lurker, always a lurker :D

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

I keep meaning to tell my wife to post in this thread. She meets the criteria.

drmirage

Post by drmirage »

If you can't beat them. Join them. :o
lorddunlow wrote:So, I've been posting a lot less lately, so I'm essentially re-lurkerized, right?

drmirage

Post by drmirage »

Contest has ended. We will post the winners soon.

Our 3 candidates are:

raiden
Moots
boyd13