The Bat-Thread

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012
The Bat-Thread

Post by ShadowTuga »

:clap:
Celebrate everything Batman on this thread- favourite comics, movies, cartoons, toys, etc.
C'mon slackers! How come we didn't have a B75 thread yet?

For starters, here's one of my all-time favourite Bat-moments (ironically, it's his last in "my own" Batman continuity, that is to say, I don't give a *SQUEE* about Terry McGinnis :P ):

In case you don't know what this is,
1) :o :o :o WTF????!!!! :o :o :o :o

2) It's the final page of the single best Batman story ever written, imho, "The Dark Knight Returns" by Frank Miller.
Last edited by ShadowTuga on Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:52:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.
Re: BATMAN 2014 - 75th Birthday

Post by nycjadie »

+1 :clap:

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

http://batman75years.blogspot.pt/2014/0 ... atman.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by ShadowTuga on Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:32:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

I remember as a kid playing baseball with my friends and someone would yell, " What time is it? I think Batman and Robin is on now!" And just like that, we would drop our gloves on the ground and run to the nearest TV to watch. :cloud9:

Now a days, I sit with my 10 year old daughter and watch those old TV episodes and it brings back such great memories.

When I began collecting comic books as an adult, the only books I ever bought were Batman books. When the Tim Burton "Batman" movie came out, I was so excited that someone was finally treating the character seriously and I went to the theater at least 5 times to see that movie. :o I have always liked the darker side of Batman.

Happy Birthday Batman! :)

Michael
Mkb28
Last edited by mkb28 on Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:26:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

The best homage I've ever seen to the Adam West Batman television series is the opening spread to Q&W (original series) #2.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

8-)
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

(some of my little friends, waiting for Capullo-designed Bats. Bat-Mite is particularly annoyed by the delay)
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

Happy Batman Day, old chum!
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

I know, but c'mon... it's the man's b-day. Give Bruce a break. :D

So, my Batman day:

My LCS had 25% off everything Bat. So I decided to spent 3/4 of a small fortune in figures, trades, HCs and singles. Tengu Batman is mine!!!! And TDKR Carrie- this is been out of production for a while, only to be re-released as 4 figure pack. I am not sure if should open it. I have TDKR Bats and he doesn't seem happy. :)

On the trades, I brought some more volumes of the Batman chronicles (they're cheap and in publication order, but I'll never read the entire GA Bats in my life time, at their pace). I think past 11, I'll start with more hardcovers, thought they are about 60/70 euros here each. Expensive. I also brought the 1st vol. of the duo Murderer/Fugitive, along with "Batman in the seventies" wich is one of the best collections out there you can get. It's one of my favorite trades, although it has a pair of stories I already own in both portuguese or english. I only wished they put some Englehart/Rogers issue in there. I can't find Stange Apparitions for the life of me- only read my "comics library" copy (we have a library in lisbon solely dedicated to comics, manga and BD) - and I miss reading it on paper, even if it was one story.
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

ShadowTuga (or anyone else who has read this series):

What are your thoughts on Batman Eternal? The 20 issue trade is available to order in the September Previews and I have been thinking about reading this series. I am still far behind in my Batman reading and I still need to read "Death of the Family." facepalm Adding another 20 issues to read may be the last thing I need.

In the next couple of weeks, I am picking up all the runs of Batgirl, Batman and Robin, and Catwoman through the "Death of the Family" storyline. Plus, I have all the Batman books in HC format. Lots of reading to do to get caught up with everything that is going on with Batman.

Thanks,

Michael
mkb28

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

mkb28 wrote:ShadowTuga (or anyone else who has read this series):

What are your thoughts on Batman Eternal? The 20 issue trade is available to order in the September Previews and I have been thinking about reading this series. I am still far behind in my Batman reading and I still need to read "Death of the Family." facepalm Adding another 20 issues to read may be the last thing I need.

In the next couple of weeks, I am picking up all the runs of Batgirl, Batman and Robin, and Catwoman through the "Death of the Family" storyline. Plus, I have all the Batman books in HC format. Lots of reading to do to get caught up with everything that is going on with Batman.

Thanks,

Michael
mkb28
I am LOVING Eternal. Loving it. I haven't yet read this weeks' #21, but from what I hear, is quite the game-changer.

This is a BIG Batworld story with lots of sub-plots, LOTS of new/revamped characters, and honestly, it is lots of fun to read. I heartly recommend it to any Bat-fan, I honestly didn't expect to be enjoying it as much as I am now. :thumb:
That 20 issues trade sounds like a good deal, but I'll be honest- this the type of story that I would rather read as it comes out, because there's so much going on, that you kinda need the break between issues to digest all the surprises and cool stuff.

And if there's a chance that one day I might be actually enjoying N52 Tim Drake, the credit should go to Eternal. :D

(and yeah, there is a lot going on in the Batman world right now- Robin Rises, Eternal, the upcoming Endgame arc, are all "must read" material, imho)

Btw, did you read "Twenty Seven", the AMAZING Snyder story that came out in 'Tec #27? 8-)
If not, I'd advise you to go and read it asap. It's free on Comixology, as it was part of the "Batman day" issue that was released on July 23. It's so good.
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

ShadowTuga, that may have been the most overcautious spoiler tag I've ever seen. :lol:

You keep making me want to scratch that Batman itch...
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

lorddunlow wrote:ShadowTuga, that may have been the most overcautious spoiler tag I've ever seen. :lol:

You keep making me want to scratch that Batman itch...
:lol: I guess I was a bit *SQUEE* off earlier this week when I accidentaly bumped into that piece of info that I tagged. I don't know exactly what happens there, but every comic news site was saying just that. Just wanted to spare any Eternal reader of that irritation. :D

And you can scratch a bit of that itch with this:
https://www.comixology.eu/Detective-Com ... mic/125880" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Go straight for the Snyder story. No need to know ANYTHING except that Batman is a hero that lives in Gotham. I don't know how many times I have already read it. It's incredible.
And as an aside, it was the first Batman comic that my girlfriend (as in, not a comics person but a casual Batman fan) actually liked.

I'm pulling a list of "Beyond the Essentials" for my Batman 75th Anniversary blog (http://batman75years.blogspot.pt/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), I will gladly share it here once it's done. :thumb:
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

ShadowTuga wrote:
I'm pulling a list of "Beyond the Essentials" for my Batman 75th Anniversary blog (http://batman75years.blogspot.pt/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), I will gladly share it here once it's done. :thumb:
:thumb: :popcorn:

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

ShadowTuga wrote:
mkb28 wrote:ShadowTuga (or anyone else who has read this series):

Thanks,

Michael
mkb28
I am LOVING Eternal. Loving it. I haven't yet read this weeks' #21, but from what I hear, is quite the game-changer.

This is a BIG Batworld story with lots of sub-plots, LOTS of new/revamped characters, and honestly, it is lots of fun to read. I heartly recommend it to any Bat-fan, I honestly didn't expect to be enjoying it as much as I am now. :thumb:
That 20 issues trade sounds like a good deal, but I'll be honest- this the type of story that I would rather read as it comes out, because there's so much going on, that you kinda need the break between issues to digest all the surprises and cool stuff.

And if there's a chance that one day I might be actually enjoying N52 Tim Drake, the credit should go to Eternal. :D

(and yeah, there is a lot going on in the Batman world right now- Robin Rises, Eternal, the upcoming Endgame arc, are all "must read" material, imho)

Btw, did you read "Twenty Seven", the AMAZING Snyder story that came out in 'Tec #27? 8-)
If not, I'd advise you to go and read it asap. It's free on Comixology, as it was part of the "Batman day" issue that was released on July 23. It's so good.
ShadowTuga: I promise to re-read the Snyder "Twenty Seven" story. I wanted to tell you and others the Batman Eternal TPB, which collects issues 1-20 is only $19.99 through DCBS (50% off cover price)! :o For $1.00 an issue, it is hard not to put that trade on my Pull List. Thanks for sharing your thoughts of the story so far. :thumb:

mkb28

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

That's an amazing price. Well worth the money and the wait.
I'd just avoid the more spoilery sites for comics until it's out. :D :thumb:
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

X-O HoboJoe
Bradley is not unsupervised anymore.
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Shadowman

Post by X-O HoboJoe »

Chills:

I DO NOT EAT, DRINK OR ABSORB SOULS, DAMMIT!

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

X-O HoboJoe wrote:Chills:

Oh man, absolutely. :high-five:
Have you seen the animated version of this? It's in my opinion, the best Batman movie ever made. I do prefer it to any of the Nolan movies, I truly do.
The og material is perfect, but the VA and the added stuff that DC and Jay Oliva decided to throw in (eg: the scene where Bats beats the crap out of those guys who are going to attack Carrie for the first time, with all the lights out. The bit where he escapes the GCPD in the roofs, the "Mommy" freak scene, the animation when Old Lady Bruce fights Bruno, the shiving noises upon the Joker's fight (OUCH!!!!) etc,etc)

By the time Clark gives CK the wink, I was floored (and tears rolling, like uncontrolably- my gf was actually worried about me :lol: :lol: - it felt "almost" like reading this for the first time. :cloud9: And it has Robocop as Batman. 8-)

Nothing can touch TDKR in my mind. It's a work of perfection that has no match in it's medium. The perfect Superhero Opera comic if there's such a thing.
My subjective fanboyish opinion, of course. :thumb:
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

X-O HoboJoe
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Shadowman

Post by X-O HoboJoe »

ShadowTuga wrote:
X-O HoboJoe wrote:Chills:

Oh man, absolutely. :high-five:
Have you seen the animated version of this? It's in my opinion, the best Batman movie ever made. I do prefer it to any of the Nolan movies, I truly do.
The og material is perfect, but the VA and the added stuff that DC and Jay Oliva decided to throw in (eg: the scene where Bats beats the crap out of those guys who are going to attack Carrie for the first time, with all the lights out. The bit where he escapes the GCPD in the roofs, the "Mommy" freak scene, the animation when Old Lady Bruce fights Bruno, the shiving noises upon the Joker's fight (OUCH!!!!) etc,etc)

By the time Clark gives CK the wink, I was floored (and tears rolling, like uncontrolably- my gf was actually worried about me :lol: :lol: - it felt "almost" like reading this for the first time. :cloud9: And it has Robocop as Batman. 8-)

Nothing can touch TDKR in my mind. It's a work of perfection that has no match in it's medium. The perfect Superhero Opera comic if there's such a thing.
My subjective fanboyish opinion, of course. :thumb:
I agree with you on all counts about the animated version. Esp. "like reading this for the first time."

Read DKR as it was coming out in '86. IMO, this scene and the scene with Evey on the roof in the rain from "V for Vendetta" remain two of the most powerfully done works of the medium -- They can immerse a reader so deeply by using the readers own context that when the tranformation happens to the characters the reader walks away changed as well. All this at a time (pre-Gaiman) when very few outside the industry considered the comic book possible of being literature, much less doing what great literature does as it's critical metric.

As I've gotten older I've started to consider this as the end of the Bronze/Copper Age, when the Super-hero books started maturing along with the readers (like what happened with the EC books prior to SoTI and the CCA).

There are a lot of creators that have grown to hate DKR because they see it as Miller "raping their childhood" and they see this era as when mainstream comics lost the entry point to new younger readers. :|

Regardless, to this day, chills.
I DO NOT EAT, DRINK OR ABSORB SOULS, DAMMIT!

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

Hobo: Great points. It's awesome to read someone's feelings about a piece of art and truly identify with them, despite different life experiences. It' actually mindblowing. Thanks for sharing those thoughts. :)

On another news: :P

Here's a bit of what I'm putting on my blog soon. This is more destined to people who never picked a Bat-comic, so please don't scream at me "that's obvious", guys and gals. :D

A BEGINNER'S GUIDE TO BATMAN COMICS- PART I

A comic book character with 75 years of continuous monthly existence is, as you surely can see, a character with a LOT of stories told. LOTS and LOTS of them. Batman is one of the most (if not the most) "hard to get into" of all superheroes, when it comes to it's comics, some say. Because of the sheer number of material out there.

Or maybe not.
You see, there's not really a correct way to read Batman in chronological order, as you can read Spider-Man for example: this is because Batman was created before comic writers and editors even dreamed of such a thing as "continuity". When DC started to take that word seriously, Batman had decades of publishing history.
So, yeah YOU CAN go and read every Batman issue (and Detective Comics, etc, etc) ever published or almost every one of them, since 1939. But that's kinda pointless unless you are trying to make an historical study on the character and it's evolution on the printed paper, rather than enjoying it's progression as a character per se. In other words, what happened 30 years ago (not to mention 3), might count as much as Ace, the Bat-Hound in today's continuity. Simpler yet, it counts nothing.

Batman is a TOTALLY different character nowadays than he was in the 50's or early to late 60's, of course. Times were different, so were storytelling methods. What you might think was Batman, it might have been something totally different in the past. Or not long ago. Or even the present.

No, I'm not trying to Bat-f*** your mind. It's just that Batman is hard to explain to non-comic readers. If you are one, I highly reccomend some reading on the different ages of comics, as it will give you a more wide comprehension on why comics changed over the decades. You can continue to read this *SQUEE* article later. ;)

Now, if you are willing to go and be a Bat-student, go ahead by all means; It's a very long trip, but if you do love this character, it's a lot of fun. I'm currently digging through the CCA era of Bat-books, and despite all of it's crazyness, out-of-place stuff, and sometimes just stupid, it's very fun to read. It's Batman, damn it. :)
I will give some pointers on where to start, taking this more "college" approach and considering affordability and availability of these very old comics, in the second part of this article- coming real soon. Promise. :)

But the other (cheaper and simpler) way to get into Batman comics is to simply go into a bookstore or comic shop and get one. There will be people there to help you and if not, maybe this article will. So, let's dive into what any store clerk will tell you it's BASIC Batman comics/storylines. The comics you need to read to know Batman in comic form.
Here's just five of them to start.

1) The Dark Knight Returns 1-4 (Miller, Janson, 1986)
Simply put, the greatest superhero comic ever written in my opinion. It's Frank Miller's greatest work, it's Batman's greatest (ultimate?) story. And it's easily one of my all time favourite pieces of fiction. It's Epic. Moving. Beautiful.
Millions adore it, and it's considered consistently one of the Greatest Pieces of Comic Book History. A Batman fan who never read this tale, simply doesn't know how awesome Batman can truly be.
And if you don't know the basic plot, GO READ IT!!! :)

2) Year One (Miller, Mazucchelli, 1987)
The "other" genius piece on Batman by Frank Miller. In this case, it's the modern origin story of Bats and the start of his relationship with Jim Gordon. Actually, Gordon has one of the best moments in this story, as anyone who read it knows. Flass. ;)
There are so many iconic moments in this story it's hard to pinpoint one, but the Feast is Over springs immediately to mind. Or Bat-swarm. Or "Yes, Father...".
And, there's not one single Major Rogue. It's street-Batman.

3) The Long Halloween (Loeb, Sale, 1996-1997)
Now that you got a little grip of Batman and his psyche, it's time to move on to the "other" side of Gotham: the "masked" bad guys.
And what better way than to have a book that puts almost every meaningful Batman villain in one Big Mistery Story set in his second to third year- that's right almost* immediately after "Year One"? With a Gotham Noir feel to it that has been since then widely imitated, but never matched? And, last but not least, the origin and ending of the Harvey/Gordon/Bruce partnership. Yes, Two-Face's modern (Pre-New52) origin is told here. And it's fantastic.
Add to that, you'll never see a Batman like Tim Sale's.

*"Batman: The Man who Laughs" by Ed Brubaker is widely considered the story that takes place immediately after Year One. First meeting with the Joker. But I consider that more of an Essential Joker Story, just like "The Killing Joke". BUT, It's great since it's Ed Brubaker on the Batman world and of couse, HIGHLY recommended.

4) Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth (Morrison, McKean, 1989)
This book can be described as both insane and genius. Batman goes into Arkham in order to break it free from the Joker and the rest of the clowns. His journey there and the meetings with his foes are disturbing, to say the least. At the same time, we are reading a story about Arkham's origin and why maybe this place is destined to be connected with crazy, disturbing people in perhaps, a spiritual way.

This is really for mature readers- don't offer this to your 10 year old because he will more than probably won't understand *SQUEE* and will certainly be scarred for life when it comes to Batman. :lol:
this is one of those comics every non-believer "adult" should read, at least, to see how this medium can be as disturbing as a Bosch work.
I put it in this list not for the importance to the Batman mythos (it's actually a dream, according to Morrison), but because it's a sin not to read it at least once in your lifetime. The art alone, is a must see.

5) Court of Owls (Snyder, Capullo, 2011-2012)
This is in this list because, after all, this is The NEW Batman.
We get a new villain. A twist that you'll never see coming, that may or may not be true, which just makes it more amazing. Crazy comic gimmicks. A feeling of not knowing what will happen next issue.
One of the best true Batman stories in years, as in, no crazy travel in time, no son or clones, or whatever weirdness happens (AND I freaking LOVED ALL of Morrison Bat-saga stuff -ALL OF IT! :D )
What I mean is that it's just Batman vs an evil organization rooted in Gotham. Simple and truly great. One for the ages. And the art is beyond what words of mine can make justice.

Ok, there's that twist. So, maybe not so simple. :)

Next, "From Basics" to "I Want More".

http://batman75years.blogspot.pt/2014/0 ... -part.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

Great post, ShadowTuga! :thumb: Looks like I just need to read the "Arkham Asylum" book that you mentioned from your list of five books. Have you read "Batman: Secrets" by Sam Keith? I listened to a podcast about "The Killing Joke" and they highly recommended the "Secrets" 5 issue mini-series for another great Joker story. I have been wanting to pick up the trade, but just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Thanks,

Mkb28

String
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by String »

DKR gets a lot of praise (rightfully so) but I would put Year One right up there beside it. Miller pulls off the nearly impossible by redefining the origin of an already iconic character for a new generation of readers and fans. Similar to what he accomplished with the Daredevil Man Without Fear mini for Marvel, whenever I think of Batman's beginnings, I think of Year One first and foremost. An awesome feat, one should really read both books back-to-back.

I'm currently reading through Batgirl: Year One by Dixon, Beatty, and Martin. An elegant story, this is why I love Babs, and Martin's art is simply incredible.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

mkb28 wrote:Great post, ShadowTuga! :thumb: Looks like I just need to read the "Arkham Asylum" book that you mentioned from your list of five books. Have you read "Batman: Secrets" by Sam Keith? I listened to a podcast about "The Killing Joke" and they highly recommended the "Secrets" 5 issue mini-series for another great Joker story. I have been wanting to pick up the trade, but just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Thanks,

Mkb28
First, Many and humble thanks, sir. :high-five:
Man, Secrets is one of those "must read" holes I have to fill when it comes to the more recent (10 years or so) minis. I have been trying to find it on the back bins of my LCS in recent times- this was after I discovered Through The Looking Glass, so maybe 2 years ago more or less. This is the type of stuff they usually keep for a long time in their warehouse and sell whenever they need the space, but so far, nada. I guess I could have read it already, if I didn't want to experience Kieth's art on paper first. Some creators' work is too awesome for digital reading, imho. 8-)

But you mentioned a paperback edition: this is news to me. :hm: I thought it never got collected except in HC (don't know where I got that, maybe my LCS guy or some forum post). I will check this out now. Thank you! :thumb:
String wrote: I'm currently reading through Batgirl: Year One by Dixon, Beatty, and Martin. An elegant story, this is why I love Babs, and Martin's art is simply incredible.
I also just read Batgirl: Year One like a week ago or so. It's so awesome. I kick myself for not having read it earlier and I also ABSOLUTELY loved the art. :cloud9: Stylish and simple. And it fitted the character like a glove.
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

I really need to put you on ignore, ShadowTuga, or I'm going to spend a lot of money on getting Batman books.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

lorddunlow wrote:I really need to put you on ignore, ShadowTuga, or I'm going to spend a lot of money on getting Batman books.
:lol: :thumb:
Yamamoto Tsunetomo