My one purchase at SDCC - Tis a big one...

Discussions of VALIANT art, artists, and the creation process. Share your latest acquisitions,
or find help in learning about original art.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

paradise
Major Valiant-supporting retailer
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar, Unity
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Bart Sears
My one purchase at SDCC - Tis a big one...

Post by paradise »

I have had one Holy Grail that I never thought I would accomplish in my original art collection, Barry Windsor Smith original. I have bid on a couple of X-O Pages on Ebay but always got outbid as they sold for astronomical prices.

So, today at Anthony's booth at SDCC, I asked him if he had any Valiant stuff. He was visibly upset at even the question, as he is still rather peeved about being caught in the middle of the whole situation. So, after I told him that I am not blaming him or anything, he mentioned that he still had the BWS Blue-line eternal warrior #4 unused design. it had a sticker of $2k on it and I told him that I still want to continue having my genitals attached to me. He said he was really in the mood to get rid of it because of the whole situation, and offered me a great deal that I could not refuse. I had to go for it.

I don't know how you guys feel about blue line art, but it's a freakin' striking piece, and it's real BWS. I am SO psyched for having it, really a dream of mine since i was young and was obsessed with his art (still am).

Last edited by paradise on Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:19:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Edward
COLLECTOR'S PARADISE Stores:(Canoga Park, Pasadena, North Hollywood)
7131 Winnetka Ave - Canoga Park, CA - 91306 - 818-999-9455
319 S. Arroyo Parkway - Pasadena, CA - 91105 - 626-577-6694
5118 Lankershim Blvd - NoHo, CA - 91601 - 818-980-BOOK
http://ComicsAndCards.net

nscc
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite title: X-O/Harby/A+A/Unity
Favorite writer: Vditti/Dysart/FVL/Kindt
Favorite artist: soo many pretty pictures...
Re: My one purchase at SDCC - Tis a big one...

Post by nscc »

:o

Wow, what a great pickup Ed!!

Congrats on the end of your quest for the grail, and (I assume), no ones face got melted off!!

:clap:
Where are we going and why am I in this hand-basket?

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

:high-five:

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Awesome!
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

Super sweet. I've been watching that piece.

I'm surprised Anthony was upset about the Valiant art. I guess there must have been some hostile communications with parties.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

nycjadie wrote:Super sweet. I've been watching that piece.

I'm surprised Anthony was upset about the Valiant art. I guess there must have been some hostile communications with parties.

Is the issue about when some members here harassed him about not giving Kathryn Bollinger a fair shake? I seem to remember something about that. Seems a little odd to make a big deal about something that probably 12 people are even aware of. (Unless Ed had mentioned he was a member here - or he otherwise knew he was).
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Heath
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

Who is Anthony?
I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Wow, great score.

paradise

Post by paradise »

lorddunlow wrote:

Is the issue about when some members here harassed him about not giving Kathryn Bollinger a fair shake? I seem to remember something about that. Seems a little odd to make a big deal about something that probably 12 people are even aware of. (Unless Ed had mentioned he was a member here - or he otherwise knew he was).
I never mentioned a specific site, and Anthony knows me, I bought that Giant Bob Layton original of the whole Valiant universe from him last year. It did seem that he was unhappy about how some people treated him after he purchased art from the guy who swindled KB. People can be ignorant and not get all the details, and start accusing him. He kept repeating that he paid the guy a lot of money for these pieces. Anthony is a great art dealer, I have dealt with him before, and we don't always come to a deal, but he's always honest and is not stuck up like some of the others. I would highly recommend dealing with him to anyone. I get first dibs though :) :mad: :twisted:
Edward

paradise

Post by paradise »

Heath wrote:Who is Anthony?
http://www.anthonyscomicbookart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Edward

AnthonyF
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Favorite character: TOYO HARADA
Favorite title: HARBINGER
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry

Post by AnthonyF »

paradise wrote:
I never mentioned a specific site, and Anthony knows me, I bought that Giant Bob Layton original of the whole Valiant universe from him last year. It did seem that he was unhappy about how some people treated him after he purchased art from the guy who swindled KB. People can be ignorant and not get all the details, and start accusing him. He kept repeating that he paid the guy a lot of money for these pieces. Anthony is a great art dealer, I have dealt with him before, and we don't always come to a deal, but he's always honest and is not stuck up like some of the others. I would highly recommend dealing with him to anyone. I get first dibs though :) :mad: :twisted:
Oh, I didn't realize those details either! I thought KB sold her art directly to him, I didn't realize there was a middle man. He's probably a boardie, right? facepalm :poke:

But to stay on topic - GREAT PICKUP!! :o
At the price you got, it's a steal! The blue pencils look even better in the scan you posted!
Plus it's his layout on a classic cover. :cloud9:

iwantvaliant
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by iwantvaliant »

paradise wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:

So, because a few people were mad at him, he bristles when you say the word Valiant? What did Valiant do to him? Why would a businessman not want to sell art for an entire company because of people on the internet? If you asked for some of Bollinger's artwork I would understand, but to be a premiere art dealer and essentially blacklist an entire company because somebody said something mean on the internet seems pretty thin-skinned.

Congrats on the BWS piece. It's beautiful.
My podcast reviews the Valiant trades: http://vepodcast.wordpress.com/
And my timeline on the original Valiant Universe: http://valiantfans.com/vctimeline/

nycjadie
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

I've spent a lot of money with Anthony, and while I have never met him in person, I find his email style to be very curt. I could see him being the same way in person.

paradise

Post by paradise »

iwantvaliant wrote: So, because a few people were mad at him, he bristles when you say the word Valiant? What did Valiant do to him? Why would a businessman not want to sell art for an entire company because of people on the internet? If you asked for some of Bollinger's artwork I would understand, but to be a premiere art dealer and essentially blacklist an entire company because somebody said something mean on the internet seems pretty thin-skinned.
I never said he is *SQUEE* at Valiant. As a matter of fact he still has a ton of pages on his site from the Bollinger collection. I was there on Sunday, so I am guessing that for 4 days of the con, he got harassed rather seriously by people who don't know the story and just like to be a-hats. And, yes, he has a very "different" sense of humor and can come off a bit curt. As a buyer one can get put off by it or get past it and have a conversation and get stuff done.

Trust me, if you were him, and got blamed for something you did not do at all, to the point where KB had to go on this site and tell everyone to lay off him, you would be a bit raw too. And I am sure he got a dose of it at the show also. Add to it 4 days of standing the whole day at a loud show, with millions of dollars in art that you are trying to protect and not get stolen while trying to pay for a booth that has cost you 5-7K (my estimate, not his words), and you would be a little raw too.

He's a good guy, everyone needs to lay off him. Buy some stuff from him and he'll like Valiant fans more :)
Edward

Jace
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite artist: Clay Mann

Post by Jace »

Well I don't a thing about that situation with KB's art and Anthony so that is whatever. The person I am *SQUEE* off at is YOU, Ed!!!!! You own an original BWS and I don't, HOW DARE YOU!!!!!!!!

:rant:

Ok in all seriousness, great find and it sounds like you got a good deal Ed. My guy who I would love to own a piece of OA from some day is Michael Turner. I know how stoked I would be to accomplish that, so I can imagine how happy you are. Congratulations man, it's so great when deserving people get a break or have something good happen to them. Beats the heck out of hearing about bad stuff happening to good people. I wish I would have realized you were there this weekend so I could have met you. One of these days I will take a Saturday off and drive down from Fresno-ish area to one of your shops.

The Dirt Gang
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Unity #1
Favorite writer: Shooter/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by The Dirt Gang »

:high-five:
Multum In Parvo

paradise

Post by paradise »

Jace wrote: My guy who I would love to own a piece of OA from some day is Michael Turner. I know how stoked I would be to accomplish that, so I can imagine how happy you are.
Yeah, Mike was a fantastic artist and a super nice guy. He signed at our Valley store less than a year before he died, and was amazing to everyone, even though you could tell he was in pain. All the guys at Aspen are fantastic and are good friends, I just wish their books sold more. I have tried so many times to promote them but their audience is so small and niche that nothing we do changes anything in any drastic ways.
Edward

comicsyte95
It's Porktastic!!!
It's Porktastic!!!

Post by comicsyte95 »

Super cool pick-up! :thumb:
If I just can't be me ,and the Arrow isn't enough.. then maybe I should be Ra's al Ghul

Jace
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite artist: Clay Mann

Post by Jace »

paradise wrote:
Jace wrote: My guy who I would love to own a piece of OA from some day is Michael Turner. I know how stoked I would be to accomplish that, so I can imagine how happy you are.
Yeah, Mike was a fantastic artist and a super nice guy. He signed at our Valley store less than a year before he died, and was amazing to everyone, even though you could tell he was in pain. All the guys at Aspen are fantastic and are good friends, I just wish their books sold more. I have tried so many times to promote them but their audience is so small and niche that nothing we do changes anything in any drastic ways.

Yeah unfortunately for me I was a HUGE fan of his but then I was so busy with school and life and such that I stopped collecting for a few years. I was just starting to get back into comics and like 2 months later he was gone. I was gutted. Agree that Frank, Peter, JT, Alex ... all those guys are top notch. Sometimes I feel like the lack of sales is because they lack that focus that Mike brought to the company. The art is always beautiful, but sometimes books are late or the stories aren't as good as they could be. Still I support them because of MLT. I mean ... get this Ed, my two year old daughter is named ASPEN!

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

Beautiful pick up hands down legendary piece

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

paradise

Post by paradise »

Jace wrote: I mean ... get this Ed, my two year old daughter is named ASPEN!
Yeah, you are a fan. Strangely my two daughters are Alexis (Lex) and Ilana (Lana) even though I am not that much of a Superman fan.

As far as Aspen, I think that they tried too hard to break out of what they were known for through Mike's designs and work. Then they had a true hit with Lady Mechanika, but could not reign Joe in. Nobody can. He left and still has not put out an issue. But it hurt them, because everyone was buying Mechanika and if it was next to other Aspen titles, they were getting a look and a try. Now, there is nothing they can do. I talk to Vince, Frank and Peter all the time, saw them all at SDCC. JT used to live 2 blocks from the store and was a regular weekly customer for years. We did releases for all his books and actually had a following and sold rather well. But they can't seem to sustain it.
Edward

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Nice score Ed!

I had been eyeing this same piece for a while now, but was not ready to commit to buying just yet. Glad to see where it went, and who it went to. :thumb:

DBS

MarkRoseHFX
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

Great pickup Ed :thumb:

Definitely an iconic piece of VH1 art
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

x-omatic
Did someone call for a Hired Gun?
Did someone call for a Hired Gun?

Post by x-omatic »

Great Eternal Warrior piece.
Now you need to get Bob Layton to ink it.
http://chrismorrillart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DirtbagSailor
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

paradise wrote:I have had one Holy Grail that I never thought I would accomplish in my original art collection, Barry Windsor Smith original. I have bid on a couple of X-O Pages on Ebay but always got outbid as they sold for astronomical prices.

So, today at Anthony's booth at SDCC, I asked him if he had any Valiant stuff. He was visibly upset at even the question, as he is still rather peeved about being caught in the middle of the whole situation. So, after I told him that I am not blaming him or anything, he mentioned that he still had the BWS Blue-line eternal warrior #4 unused design. it had a sticker of $2k on it and I told him that I still want to continue having my genitals attached to me. He said he was really in the mood to get rid of it because of the whole situation, and offered me a great deal that I could not refuse. I had to go for it.

I don't know how you guys feel about blue line art, but it's a freakin' striking piece, and it's real BWS. I am SO psyched for having it, really a dream of mine since i was young and was obsessed with his art (still am).

It already IS in my opinion, but in about 10 seconds (once the world figures out the significance of this cover) this buy has the potential to become one of the most incredible art buys in years! This is an older post, I know, but again, bravo on pulling the trigger for this. Well done!

:clap: