The greatest comic book crossovers of all time!

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin
The greatest comic book crossovers of all time!

Post by Cyberstrike »

With Dark Cybertron The Transformers first comic book crossover currently going on I thought I would post my personal favorite crossovers from years gone by.

1) Crossroads from First Comics. This isn't your tradtional comic book crossover, there are no cosmic threats that unite the various creator-owned books that First Comics were publishing at the time, not all of the characters actually even meet. Instead you get a five part mini-series of team ups with one character staying and meeting the next the character and so on. I only bought it for #5 that featured Dreadstar, Nexus, and Grimjack meeting and I only bought the book for Dreadstar having only having a limited knowledge of Nexus and Grimjack but I was so impressed the fact that the story is self-contained and even though I didn't actually need to read the first four issues I went out bought them anyway. Five self contained stories and each issue gives you the rundown on the characters and where they are at in their own series.

2) Unity (1992) from the orginal Valiant Comics. This is how you do a multi-part story and make it where fans don't have buy all the parts and still get a complete and understandable story. Unity ran for 18 parts, but if you just read Unity #0 and #1 and any two of single issues and you got for the most part a complete story read all 18 parts and you got a superhero crossover that was very different. The heroes don't unite until almost the very end of the story and some side with the villain because they were duped, like Shadowman and Turok, some heroes don't want to be here like Archer and Armstrong, some like X-O Manowar wants to fight and rule in a world he understands. While some heroes like The Enteral Warrior (and his future counterpart), Rai, and Magnus want to fight, but know they don't stand a chance without heavy hitters, and Solar, who is the most powerful hero in the Valiant Universe gets captured early on, and while the Harbinger kids start out wanting to fight but when their leader finds out his girlfriend is pregnant he quickly wants to hide from the villianess Mothergod until the baby is born (spoiler alert the baby isn't his and is destined to be Magnus: Robot Fighter!). The Mothergod is easily one of the most tragic villians in comics and her final fate while she deserves it is still kind of horrible in it's own way.

3) Crisis On Infinte Earths from DC Comics. The word "epic" is abused but this is truely an epic storyline and I give props to DC for having the balls for 20+ years to stick with the aftermath. As a 12 issue series it still stands up on it own merits and doesn't require to read all the other tie-in issues (although it doesn't hurt). The deaths of Supergirl and The Silver Age Flash were excellant and gave them both a chance to go out in a blaze of glory and raised the stakes on the DCU that anyone could die.

4) Infinity Gaunlet from Marvel Comics. In the 1970s Jim Starlin did a pseudo-crossover of sorts between Iron Man, Captain Marvel, Warlock, Strange Adventures, Marvel-Two-In-One, and The Avengers with the villian he created Thanos trying to kill the Marvel Universe to impress Mistress Death the embodiment of death. He failed but Warlock, Gamora, Pip the Troll, Drax the Destroyer were all killed and lived in a kind of Hevan inside the Soul Gem, Thanos was turned into a statue, and Captain Marvel died of cancer a few years later. Then 20 or so years later Starlin bought back Thanos, Adam Warlock, Gamora, Pip the Troll, and Drax the Destroyer and changed the Marvel Universe. Now normally I hate dead characters coming back to life in any form but Starlin showed Warlock and company making a huge scarfise by giving up the peace they knew in the Heaven of the Soul Gem in Infinty Gaunlet and having to come back life in the bodies of a family that died in a car crash to stop Thanos again. I also like that since Thanos has all of the Infinity Gems he's basically God and beats the snot out of most the Marvel Universe with ease, even Mephisto bows to his might. And for all his power Mistress Death still isn't impressed with him. The art by George Perez and Ron Lim is some of the best of the 90s and Lim was a workhorse at Marvel back in the 90s. His work here and on the first two sequals is probably his best.

5) JLA/The Avengers from DC and Marvel. From The Punisher/Batman crossovers that kickstarted the 90s inter-company crossovers from Marvel and DC to all the others this was the ONE that most fans wanted to see the most and the one that seemed to be cursed from the 80s debacle to constant *SQUEE* match between editors at Marvel and DC, it seemed that artist Geroge Perez who probably was the sole driving force for the series wouldn't get a chance to draw his dream project. Well he did get his dream and along with writer Kurt Busik they delivered a final and fitting inter-company crossover that was the end of an era. Perez out did himself in cramming every then current and past member of both teams into the series. Busik came up with a storyline that allowed characters from both teams even reserve memebers or characters that hadn't been on either team for years to shine, and it even had major ramications on both Universes. This series was worth the wait it took to get it to happen.
Last edited by Cyberstrike on Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:08:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody
Re: The greatest comic book crossovers of all time!

Post by kevinbastos »

I will be an old-school guy and call out 'Secret Wars,' even though I am far more familiar with Secret Wars II.

Classic - epic - and grandiose. With some repercussion.

And Fall of the Mutants - which hit me sideways when I first read it. Even though it executed many 'tertiary' characters - the outright level of violence in the thing really hit me hard.
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

iggy101us
I bought my first comics at Kwik-E-Mart
I bought my first comics at Kwik-E-Mart

Post by iggy101us »

Agree with Infinity Gauntlet. Some of the best parts are in the Silver Surfer issues leading up to the 6-issue IG mini-series.

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

nice #1, luv crossroads...some great works there...
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Recently read the Kree - Skrull War and that was pretty good. I should read more Captain Marvel.

Shortly thereafter I read the arc where the Avengers and the Defenders team up to take on Dormammu and Loki in a battle over the Evil Eye. Special guest appearance by The Watcher.

These are probably my two favorite Avengers arcs so far.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

kevinbastos wrote:I will be an old-school guy and call out 'Secret Wars,' even though I am far more familiar with Secret Wars II.

I like the idea of the first Secret Wars but it's excution left much to be desired. IMHO it's slow, dull, and padded out to point of absudity, and sadly the only real reason it's remembered at all is because it led to Spider-Man's black costume/Venom/Carnage. I mean what is the other lasting conquences that still effect the Marvel Universe today from the original Secret Wars?

I would rate crossovers like Messiah Complex, Maximum Carnage, and Operation: Galactic Storm above it.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

Cyberstrike wrote:
kevinbastos wrote:I will be an old-school guy and call out 'Secret Wars,' even though I am far more familiar with Secret Wars II.

I like the idea of the first Secret Wars but it's excution left much to be desired. IMHO it's slow, dull, and padded out to point of absudity, and sadly the only real reason it's remembered at all is because it led to Spider-Man's black costume/Venom/Carnage. I mean what is the other lasting conquences that still effect the Marvel Universe today from the original Secret Wars?

I would rate crossovers like Messiah Complex, Maximum Carnage, and Operation: Galactic Storm above it.
While I feel that Secret Wars is and was over-rated, another lasting thing that came out of it was the Absorbing Man and Titania relationship, which even today feels a pretty unique relationship to my mind at the big two.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

String
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by String »

If memory serves, I think Secret Wars came out before CoIE. Until then, no one had a done a maxi-series of 12 issues so the success of Secret Wars might have had influence on DC's decision to do CoIE as a maxi-series of 12 issues (though I might be mistaken).

Secret Wars had one thing going for it, some great Mike Zeck art. The Black costume is the longest-lasting contribution, the intro of a 'new' Spider-Woman (though I don't know if she is still around), the Thing elected to stay on that world which lead to a longer break-up of his long-standing relationship with Alicia Masters, and the revival of Doctor Doom (Doom 'died' in FF #260 under Bryne and it was revealed later in SW II that the Beyonder had messed with the timeline in order for Doom to participate in the first War. A slightly wibbly-wobbly paradox story but I enjoyed it)

Overall though, CoIE is the best for me. Staggering is the epic scale that Wolfman and Perez achieved with this story. I have the issues, the TPB, and the novelisation. :thumb:

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

String wrote:If memory serves, I think Secret Wars came out before CoIE. Until then, no one had a done a maxi-series of 12 issues so the success of Secret Wars might have had influence on DC's decision to do CoIE as a maxi-series of 12 issues (though I might be mistaken).

Secret Wars had one thing going for it, some great Mike Zeck art. The Black costume is the longest-lasting contribution, the intro of a 'new' Spider-Woman (though I don't know if she is still around), the Thing elected to stay on that world which lead to a longer break-up of his long-standing relationship with Alicia Masters, and the revival of Doctor Doom (Doom 'died' in FF #260 under Bryne and it was revealed later in SW II that the Beyonder had messed with the timeline in order for Doom to participate in the first War. A slightly wibbly-wobbly paradox story but I enjoyed it)

Overall though, CoIE is the best for me. Staggering is the epic scale that Wolfman and Perez achieved with this story. I have the issues, the TPB, and the novelisation. :thumb:
The "new" Spider-Woman, Julia Carpenter, is still around under the name Arachne.

She will always be the Spider-Woman to me.

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

For nostalgia value, SECRET WARS and the X-MEN/TEEN TITANS Crossover. Made me want to read DC, BESIDES Batman. :)
I enjoyed Age of Apocalypse very much, also.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

dornwolf
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by dornwolf »

People will hate me but Amaglam

Cully1286
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me

Post by Cully1286 »

JLA/Avengers
Infinity Gauntlet

I also liked World War Hulk quite a bit.

chriskay99
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Location: The surrounding metropolitan area of Los Angeles, CA

Post by chriskay99 »

dornwolf wrote:People will hate me but Amaglam
I enjoyed Amalgam quite a bit. It was a lot of fun - just having these one issue teases essentially. I went back and read the ones I have a few years ago and still enjoyed 'em.
Black Science. Lazarus. Birthright. Saga. Manifest Destiny. Deadly Class.

ShadowTuga
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

chriskay99 wrote:
dornwolf wrote:People will hate me but Amaglam
I enjoyed Amalgam quite a bit. It was a lot of fun - just having these one issue teases essentially. I went back and read the ones I have a few years ago and still enjoyed 'em.
I enjoyed it, but ya, it was meh at best. I did dig the Dark Claw's stories with the Hyena (Joker/Sabertooth)that were published as a special for the Animated series (BTAS). So, there's a Bruce Timm Dark Claw and that is cool in my book. :)
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

vikingspawn
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by vikingspawn »

Robocop vs Terminator
Superman vs. Aliens
Futurama/Simpsons Infinitely Secret Crossover Crisis I & II

http://www.comics.org/issue/538898/cover/4/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the1captain
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by the1captain »

Here's one I don't think many read. Both Batman/Grendel crossovers from the 90's. Matt Wagner wrote and drew both. Great job of integrating the characters. Gorgeous art. Especially considering the same artist drew each series in totally different styles that still fit the overall tone.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

the1captain wrote:Here's one I don't think many read. Both Batman/Grendel crossovers from the 90's. Matt Wagner wrote and drew both. Great job of integrating the characters. Gorgeous art. Especially considering the same artist drew each series in totally different styles that still fit the overall tone.
I liked Batman/Grendel I better than Batman/Grendel II. Both were good, mostly because Matt Wagner wrote them.

Zaphod
Zaphod's just this guy, you know?
Zaphod's just this guy, you know?
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: VH1 - Armstrong
Favorite title: VEI - Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Zaphod »

you are always partial to your first. My first major cross-over was the X-Books, "Inferno". Remember when cross-overs weren't about Logan?

I think there is a difference between "cross-over" and "mini-series" and a few listed have been not really cross-overs. It's tough though because modern events tend have a central comic with cross-over events in individual titles so a true cross-over seems to be used less and less these days.
What we need is innovation and even revolution—but not so much in the form of marketing ploys and doohickeys. What is needed is bold creative vision, excellent stories, and brilliant storytelling, in a word, entertainment. -- Jim Shooter

SJS4
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by SJS4 »

My personal favorites:

Aliens/Predator
Unity
Infinity Gauntlet
Magnus/Nexus
Magnus/Predator
Superman/Hulk
Kurt Busiek wrote: Bull$#!t

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Chiclo wrote:
the1captain wrote:Here's one I don't think many read. Both Batman/Grendel crossovers from the 90's. Matt Wagner wrote and drew both. Great job of integrating the characters. Gorgeous art. Especially considering the same artist drew each series in totally different styles that still fit the overall tone.
I liked Batman/Grendel I better than Batman/Grendel II. Both were good, mostly because Matt Wagner wrote them.
Loved both, but I think I'd agree with Chiclo on the first one being better. It was fun to see Grendel Prime duke it out with Batman though... and a bit bizarre that his quest led him to an alternate dimension to retrieve Hunter's skull...

Are you fella's aware that Matt is currently working on a new Grendel/The Shadow crossover? He has been posting progress work onhis Facebook page over the last couple months. Could be good!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

grendeljd wrote:Are you fella's aware that Matt is currently working on a new Grendel/The Shadow crossover? He has been posting progress work onhis Facebook page over the last couple months. Could be good!
Published by Dynamite. :(

the1captain

Post by the1captain »

grendeljd wrote:
Chiclo wrote:
Loved both, but I think I'd agree with Chiclo on the first one being better. It was fun to see Grendel Prime duke it out with Batman though... and a bit bizarre that his quest led him to an alternate dimension to retrieve Hunter's skull...

Are you fella's aware that Matt is currently working on a new Grendel/The Shadow crossover? He has been posting progress work onhis Facebook page over the last couple months. Could be good!
I heard about it. But didn't know he was posting it on Facebook. Thanks!

grendeljd
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Chiclo wrote:
grendeljd wrote:Are you fella's aware that Matt is currently working on a new Grendel/The Shadow crossover? He has been posting progress work onhis Facebook page over the last couple months. Could be good!
Ugh! You're kidding... No, I guess that makes sense, they have the IP for The Shadow. At least Grendel is (currently) a DarkHorse book, I have no trouble supporting that side of it. I'm gonna have to get it anyway, new Grendel by Matt overcomes my distaste for Dynamite, unfortunately.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SJS4

Post by SJS4 »

grendeljd wrote:
Chiclo wrote:

I always thought it was cool that the crossover was in continuity for Grendel. Usually those crossovers are more like "What If" stories.

Didn't know about the upcoming Shadow crossover, will keep an eye out for it. I have a nearly do plete run of the Comico Grendel series and everything after that from Dark Horse.

SJS4

Post by SJS4 »

grendeljd wrote:
Chiclo wrote:
Ugh! You're kidding... No, I guess that makes sense, they have the IP for The Shadow. At least Grendel is (currently) a DarkHorse book, I have no trouble supporting that side of it. I'm gonna have to get it anyway, new Grendel by Matt overcomes my distaste for Dynamite, unfortunately.
Could it be a Dark Horse/Dynamite combination? That is what they did for the Criminal Macabre/30 Days of Night Crossover, even though they are both creator owned.

I don't have a problem buying Dynamite comics if they are something i want. They published the completion to the Next Men series by Byrne which i ended up getting.