East of West Thread---WOW!!

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
Re: East of West Thread---WOW!!

Post by BugsySig »

coachjamie wrote:Ok, finally found a #8 and then read it and #9 so I am all caught up. I have to say I am really confused with the whole eyeball thing. It has happened twice now in this series , lol. The book does keep better and better! And I agree, the Prince's scene was kind of cool. Has anything been explained that maybe I have missed on why Death is not with the other three any longer? Or to that, why were they being "reborn" I guess in the first issue? Part of this has me confused ,lol. Does this story evolve from another series or something that maybe has some of my answers?
Part of Hickman's thing is the long game--the slow reveal. The other Horsemen turned on him after he fell in love, but I'm not sure we even know if they were the ones who killed him. Was he even killed, or do they just die and get reborn? Death seemed to make some kind of deal in order to return early, but you can't really kill Death, can you?
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

grendeljd wrote:This is definitely one of my top favourite non-VEI books. :thumb: :thumb:

Bought #7 but haven't read it yet ( I might after posting this!).

It would be amazing if it did become another TWD phenomenon. I think I'd prefer to see it as a cartoon tv show adaptation though - Dragotta's style is so slick, it makes me think of Akira (the movie) when I read it.
It reminds me a lot of the old Lone Ranger show from the 60s. I also don't think a live-action could capture the feel of the comic.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

Bought it yesterday. Gonna start it tonight. Hopefully.

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

dave wrote:Bought it yesterday. Gonna start it tonight. Hopefully.
just got the first TPB myself...good read, will reread it again to pick up on things I missed first time through.

I think I was more impressed with Manhattan Projects on the first read through though...
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

caniac
the hole just keeps getting deeper
the hole just keeps getting deeper
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti

Post by caniac »

9 is out :o

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

myron wrote:
I think I was more impressed with Manhattan Projects on the first read through though...
I agree with this statement, but I will add that EoW now blows MP out of the water in my opinion. I still put MP at my #2 book on my pull, but EoW is just that good.

You need to read #6 to understand why.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

dave

Post by dave »

I bought the trade.

And I wasn't blown away.

What am I missing?

I think I need to reread it.

I trust you guys enough to think that I am in the wrong here.

myron
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

dave wrote:I bought the trade.

And I wasn't blown away.

What am I missing?

I said the same thing...Dunlow says we need to read the next floppy...wonder how long till the next trade is out...

all in all I did think it was ramping up in number 5 there at the end of the TPB
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

myron wrote:
dave wrote:I bought the trade.

And I wasn't blown away.

What am I missing?

I said the same thing...Dunlow says we need to read the next floppy...wonder how long till the next trade is out...

all in all I did think it was ramping up in number 5 there at the end of the TPB
The book operates at a very high concept level [and that doesn't mean people who don't like it or 'get' it are stupid - it just may not be everyone's cup of tea. Your experience & tastes may vary]. Ultimately so far I think it is a story about how Love conquered Death, and the complications that causes as a result. The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse are concepts incarnate, literal beings who now cannot bring about Judgement Day without their fourth Horseman, Death. Here is a quote from wikipedia that I like;
wikipedia wrote:The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse are described in the last book of the New Testament of the Bible, called the Book of Revelation of Jesus Christ to Saint John the Evangelist at 6:1-8. The chapter tells of a book or scroll in God's right hand that is sealed with seven seals. The Lamb of God, or Lion of Judah (Jesus Christ), opens the first four of the seven seals, which summons four beings that ride out on white, red, black, and pale horses. Although some interpretations differ, in most accounts, the four riders are seen as symbolizing Conquest,[1] War,[2] Famine,[3] and Death, respectively. The Christian apocalyptic vision is that the four horsemen are to set a divine apocalypse upon the world as harbingers of the Last Judgment.
I'm constantly intrigued by what Hickman's interpretation of the Apocalypse is going to look like [or if it will happen]. I love the alternate reality/history sci-fi/wild west setting, I love all the social commentary on human nature. I love the art, its gorgeous to me. I love the clever & sharp graphic design of the book [the horsemen represented by the 4 triangles within a triangle is brilliant!].

I'm not quite as fanatic about the Rangers as Dunlow is, but they are damn cool. This book is a complete package of awesome experience to read, for me.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Just reading a little further on that Wikipedia entry about the four horsemen... pretty cool stuff in there;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Horse ... Apocalypse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting to note that in EoW, the most commonly interpreted 'colours' of the horsemen are used in the book: Black [dark blue in EoA], Red, White & "Pale' [also interpreted as greenish]. I'm very curious about these interpretations, and whether Hickman deliberately followed them. If thats the case, its very curious that in EoA, Death is the white figure, who has historically sometimes been interpreted as Jesus, where the pale [also green] rider was the one who is generally considered to be Death. It could be nothing, or it could lead to a big twist in the plot, if 'white' Death is not actually the true incarnation of Death... :hm:

I like this quote too;

"They were given power over a fourth of the earth to kill by sword, famine, plague, and by the wild beasts of the earth."
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

I could definitely see some people not enjoying this at all (with Manhattan Projects, I'm confused that so many others like it as it seems written specifically for me). EoW is just perfect in my opinion. The world building is unique, and the characters are all so awesome. There are probably way too many story threads being woven together for a lot of people, but that's just how Hickman does his thing - many parallel stories that he then weaves together beautifully. I love it, but it is because this story is just my sort of thing. In my opinion, I've never read anything better.

coachjamie
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: 2013

Post by coachjamie »

EoW is probably my favorite image book. I have come to really enjoy a few titles from image lately. It just has some really great characters, I too love the art style as well. Everything just seems to fit together and flow so well. I have really enjoyed reading each issue more and more!!

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

coachjamie wrote:EoW is probably my favorite image book. I have come to really enjoy a few titles from image lately. It just has some really great characters, I too love the art style as well. Everything just seems to fit together and flow so well. I have really enjoyed reading each issue more and more!!
As much as I love VALIANT, Image really does produce some of the best comics in the industry right now. EoW, Manhattan Projects, TWD, Chew, Revival, Lazarus, Saga...the list goes on and on.

Obviously there's a big difference between a shared superhero universe and individual creator-owned titles, so it's the best of both worlds if you're into reading books from both.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

BugsySig wrote:
coachjamie wrote:EoW is probably my favorite image book. I have come to really enjoy a few titles from image lately. It just has some really great characters, I too love the art style as well. Everything just seems to fit together and flow so well. I have really enjoyed reading each issue more and more!!
As much as I love VALIANT, Image really does produce some of the best comics in the industry right now. EoW, Manhattan Projects, TWD, Chew, Revival, Lazarus, Saga...the list goes on and on.

Obviously there's a big difference between a shared superhero universe and individual creator-owned titles, so it's the best of both worlds if you're into reading books from both.
I totally agree with this statement.

For a shared universe, VEI is tops, hands down. Image, though, is just amazing for the variety and sheer amount of talent they showcase. In addition, their business practices (especially the DRM-free digital store - come on VEI, you can follow suit! :hope: ) are wonderful and should be an example of how to do business in the industry.

If I had the funds, I would probably have close to 20 Image books on my pull. They are just making great stuff right now.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

lorddunlow wrote:
BugsySig wrote:

For a shared universe, VEI is tops, hands down. Image, though, is just amazing for the variety and sheer amount of talent they showcase. In addition, their business practices (especially the DRM-free digital store - come on VEI, you can follow suit! :hope: ) are wonderful and should be an example of how to do business in the industry.

If I had the funds, I would probably have close to 20 Image books on my pull. They are just making great stuff right now.
You know I hate it when you agree with me :lol:

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

BugsySig wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
BugsySig wrote:

You know I hate it when you agree with me :lol:
I know...

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

I just finished my re-read of all the issues. I also think it is even better. :D
I want to see much more of the Endless Nation, asap.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

dave

Post by dave »

Well, I love the art. It is done in a very sensual style that I think fits with the series quite nicely.

I am going to read it again to see if I enjoy it more. Like I said, I liked it, but I was expecting to like it even more based on picking up other things the same group of you recommended.

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

Great recommendation to read this series. I just finished the first trade and the first 4 issues of Lazarus. For me, Lazarus has the slight advantage, but East of West is still great story-telling and the art is out of this world. :clap:

Mkb28

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

I loved the latest issue. This book seems like world building at it's finest. There are so many storng character in this book, and there was only like 1 (well maybe 1 and 1/2) of them in the latest Issue, but the issue did not feel lacking at all.

I might be easily tlaked into doing a quaterly podcast...... OTEoW.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Elveen wrote:I loved the latest issue. This book seems like world building at it's finest. There are so many storng character in this book, and there was only like 1 (well maybe 1 and 1/2) of them in the latest Issue, but the issue did not feel lacking at all.

I could talk about EoW all day long. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Hickman has over a dozen characters all in one book, each of whom could carry a solo title - but they are all interacting in one book. If Hickman announced he was starting his own imprint with only his own original characters I would buy everything he put out. I am salivating for more Rangers, but they have literally only been in one issue, and only one of them has been introduced. But that is all that is needed.

The President of the Union is one bad-*SQUEE* motha- *SQUEE*

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

lorddunlow wrote:
Elveen wrote:I loved the latest issue. This book seems like world building at it's finest. There are so many storng character in this book, and there was only like 1 (well maybe 1 and 1/2) of them in the latest Issue, but the issue did not feel lacking at all.

I could talk about EoW all day long. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Hickman has over a dozen characters all in one book, each of whom could carry a solo title - but they are all interacting in one book. If Hickman announced he was starting his own imprint with only his own original characters I would buy everything he put out. I am salivating for more Rangers, but they have literally only been in one issue, and only one of them has been introduced. But that is all that is needed.

The President of the Union is one bad-*SQUEE* motha- *SQUEE*
So true, and a silver-tongue as well. The most dangerous kind of MF.
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

I'm super interested in Xaiolain (SP?).

The woman that conquered Death...... sign me up.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Xiaolian was my favorite character until the Rangers were introduced. I'm hoping one them (or a dozen) comes up against her. :drool:

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

lorddunlow wrote:Xiaolian was my favorite character until the Rangers were introduced. I'm hoping one them (or a dozen) comes up against her. :drool:

:o and :cloud9: