Hello, Rai

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Magnus9178
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Turok
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Ron Marz
Re: Hello, Rai

Post by Magnus9178 »

lorddunlow wrote:Totally agree with the comments of the Beyonder and Shadowman99. People go overboard with being offended. Everything is going to offend someone. I seriously think China's current policies affecting their own people is much more offensive than Japan's flag.
Your use of the word "overboard" offends me!

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

lorddunlow wrote:Totally agree with the comments of the Beyonder and Shadowman99. People go overboard with being offended. Everything is going to offend someone. I seriously think China's current policies affecting their own people is much more offensive than Japan's flag.
According to the anthropology and sociology department at my school, that's impossible, on the basis of one being a "crude capitalistic venture" and the other being a "shining beacon of pure communism written of in a negative light by imperialist American swine." Then after statements like that, the profs wonder why every other department sees them as a joke.

MarrowMan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: ShadowMan
Favorite title: ShadowMan
Favorite writer: Dysart, Jordan

Post by MarrowMan »

Here's another Rai #1 Cover, saw it on twitter. It's by Raul Allen

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

What China is doing is really nothing compared to what Imperialistic Japan did in the '30s and '40s, much of that in China. Much of it worse than what the Nazis did in Europe. Symbols are powerful.

But like I said, if it's part of a story and something Rai rebels against then that's just not that big of a deal. If it was just a character design that somebody thought looked cool, then that kinda sucks.

Anyway, cool discussion!

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

depluto wrote:
What China is doing is really nothing compared to what Imperialistic Japan did in the '30s and '40s, much of that in China. Much of it worse than what the Nazis did in Europe. Symbols are powerful.

But like I said, if it's part of a story and something Rai rebels against then that's just not that big of a deal. If it was just a character design that somebody thought looked cool, then that kinda sucks.

Anyway, cool discussion!
Yeah, because the US didn't do anything bad in that time period. Oh wait, we leveled two civilian centers as an act of terrorism. The second just to fake everyone out into thinking we had an inexhaustible supply of this terrifying weapon when we barely had enough raw radioactive material to scrape together the three bombs we made (one for testing). This conversation is ridiculous. You cannot make an argument that the Rising Sun is offensive without saying the American flag is equally offensive, or almost any nation's symbolism. I posit that they are just symbols and if someone is offended, I don't care. You can't do anything anymore without someone "getting offended".

To be honest, I've lost a lot of respect for Bernard Chang if he really did photoshop a swastika on X-O. Why is that acceptable? It's ridiculous. I'm offended by what most countries do every day. It's a waste of time to "be offended" and let everyone know about it.

I remember reading the Politically Correct Fairy Tales in the 90s and watching PCU and those being humorous because they took the PC mentality to absurd levels. Those things aren't as funny anymore because the current world is 10 times more absurd. It's ridiculous.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

lorddunlow wrote:
depluto wrote:

Anyway, cool discussion!
Yeah, because the US didn't do anything bad in that time period. Oh wait, we leveled two civilian centers as an act of terrorism. The second just to fake everyone out into thinking we had an inexhaustible supply of this terrifying weapon when we barely had enough raw radioactive material to scrape together the three bombs we made (one for testing). This conversation is ridiculous. You cannot make an argument that the Rising Sun is offensive without saying the American flag is equally offensive, or almost any nation's symbolism. I posit that they are just symbols and if someone is offended, I don't care. You can't do anything anymore without someone "getting offended".

To be honest, I've lost a lot of respect for Bernard Chang if he really did photoshop a swastika on X-O. Why is that acceptable? It's ridiculous. I'm offended by what most countries do every day. It's a waste of time to "be offended" and let everyone know about it.

I remember reading the Politically Correct Fairy Tales in the 90s and watching PCU and those being humorous because they took the PC mentality to absurd levels. Those things aren't as funny anymore because the current world is 10 times more absurd. It's ridiculous.
Agreed. No country is innocent. To try and take moral high ground is a losing proposition. I've said for years, you don't have the right to not be offended.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

I still crack up at the "Can you blow me where the pampers is?" line with Jon Favreau.

Also, I often use the line "This is hard. Let's give up."

Actually, that movie is still pretty funny.

MarrowMan

Post by MarrowMan »

I see the points being made at being offended, but on that note, Captain Britain, Captain Canuck, Gaurdian, Captain America, Etc. Et Al, could all be offensive to the right group.

Meanwhile... Shadowman is only offensive to Master Darque.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

MarrowMan wrote:I see the points being made at being offended, but on that note, Captain Britain, Captain Canuck, Gaurdian, Captain America, Etc. Et Al, could all be offensive to the right group.

Agree with your first point, but if you want to get technical, lots of people are offended by the Voodoo religion and its practitioners. See - you cannot win. Everyone is offended by something.

Why do you think most humor deals with the taboo/offensive - it's a touchy area. It makes people uncomfortable - the only choice is to get mad or laugh. I choose to laugh.

As for Rai - design is awesome, story sounds awesome, art looks awesome, creative team awesome. People are going to be offended.

I'm offended Ming Doyle draws and gets paid for it.

MarrowMan

Post by MarrowMan »

lorddunlow wrote:
MarrowMan wrote:I see the points being made at being offended, but on that note, Captain Britain, Captain Canuck, Gaurdian, Captain America, Etc. Et Al, could all be offensive to the right group.

Agree with your first point, but if you want to get technical, lots of people are offended by the Voodoo religion and its practitioners. See - you cannot win. Everyone is offended by something.

Why do you think most humor deals with the taboo/offensive - it's a touchy area. It makes people uncomfortable - the only choice is to get mad or laugh. I choose to laugh.

As for Rai - design is awesome, story sounds awesome, art looks awesome, creative team awesome. People are going to be offended.

I'm offended Ming Doyle draws and gets paid for it.
Yup to all this.

Donovan
...formerly The Beyonder
...formerly The Beyonder
Valiant fan since: Unity. The first time.
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: VEI Quantum & Woody
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Romulo Fajardo

Post by Donovan »

Jeez. I'm taking a beating on Chang's FB page.

If anyone else wants to lend a hand, I won't complain. :P

jaden_sai
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by jaden_sai »

jedimarley wrote:Bernard Chang is very upset about this. :|
Yes, Yes he is...

Bernard Chang Criticises Valiant On Rai Flag Choice
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/02/12/ ... ag-choice/

SJS4

Post by SJS4 »

Sorry, while its interesting that Koreans and Chinese don't like Japan, the rising sun symbol is nothing like the swastika. The swastika never represented Germany, it was the symnol of a specicic political movement that was based in Germany.

Chang just sounds bitter, especially with his knock on Dr Mirage. Its a shame because he was one of the best artists from the post-Unity/acclaim days and i was bolding out hope he might be tapped to work on some VEI stuff.
Kurt Busiek wrote: Bull$#!t

MarrowMan

Post by MarrowMan »

If Rai were a Villain, would this still be a discussion?

Magnus9178
Favorite character: Turok
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Ron Marz

Post by Magnus9178 »

Maybe, just maybe the design was intentional. What if this is a future Imperialistic Japan?

jedimarley
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.

Post by jedimarley »

The Beyonder wrote:Jeez. I'm taking a beating on Chang's FB page.

I see that. I did make the offer to Bernard to post his thoughts on it here.

MoonChild
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
Favorite character: BloodShot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by MoonChild »

Not feelin the spiderman look but other than that looks amazing cant wait to check it out.
Click the Sig, Hear Something Different!
http://www.reverbnation.com/lexmoon
Also, Check my reverbnation page^

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

Magnus9178 wrote:Maybe, just maybe the design was intentional. What if this is a future Imperialistic Japan?
Spot on. Surprised noone's brought this up yet:

/Magnus

PS, personally I actually think the design is a big mistake if it's not intentional. The japanese war crimes really were horrible.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

I thought it was a good discussion ... you guys both make good points and bring up some theories.

Donovan
...formerly The Beyonder
...formerly The Beyonder
Valiant fan since: Unity. The first time.
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: VEI Quantum & Woody
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Romulo Fajardo

Post by Donovan »

depluto wrote:

I thought it was a good discussion ... you guys both make good points and bring up some theories.
I am enjoying it! It just feels like I'm the only one making the case that this may be premature fretting...

I think I deserve a Rai Gold for this... :P

slym2none
a typical message board assassin
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

In the VALIANT universe, didn't a Nazi have an X-O armour in the far-flung future?

:hm:

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

SJS4

Post by SJS4 »

slym2none wrote:In the VALIANT universe, didn't a Nazi have an X-O armour in the far-flung future?

-slym
Yep, he recovered the x-o ring that magnus got from a predator. He was introduced during the Malev war.

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

I feel I should point something out. Hopefully I'm not coming off as an overly politically correct person for the rising sun design. I was merely pointing out how it's become a thing to complain over. I had used and so did someone else the George St.pierre example. All that said I'm looking forward to the title. He also doesn't look like spider-man, if anything if he was smiling even a little I'd think he was yelling banzai.

Also what's Changs issue with Mirage
slym2none wrote:In the VALIANT universe, didn't a Nazi have an X-O armour in the far-flung future?

-slym
I saw that it was Acclaim era and the Nazis found the X-O first before the Americans eventually found it

SJS4

Post by SJS4 »

dornwolf wrote: I saw that it was Acclaim era and the Nazis found the X-O first before the Americans eventually found it
That also happened, but in VH1 a neo-nazi also got an x-o armor in the 4001 time period.

Watchtower
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Watchtower »

I just want to link to the No Swastikas trope, since I feel it does apply to an extent. Granted, I've never heard of a case with the Rising Sun, but the controversy isn't terribly surprising.

That said, I'll admit I do kind like how it works in the design, the way it extends outward like Tron Lines. Definitely as a whole is a homage to the original Rai, which I like.

Everything sounds all well and good, but I'm just wondering now how it'll tie to the rest of the Valiant Universe. The connections are definitely there, what with all the love for Livewire, but I'm wondering if there's something a little more....concrete.