Turok # 1 discussion

The "Gold Key Three" from publications outside of the Valiant universe.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Rai-fan
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Turok # 1 discussion

Post by Rai-fan »

I just saw that Dynamite's Turok # 1 was released last week, and has gotten some seriously good reviews.

Wondering what other folks here thought of it, and why it's not listed among last week's new releases. If this is a ValiantFans board, is it only going to cover the VEI releases? Given the amount of hype and discussion of Shooter's Dark Key line, it seems odd that I didn't immediately see a thread discussing Turok 1.

Particularly because if it's as good as the various reviews claim, it might be one of the best takes on Turok since the early days of his solo Valiant title.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character
Re: Turok # 1 discussion

Post by greg »

Rai-fan wrote:Given the amount of hype and discussion of Shooter's Dark Key line, it seems odd that I didn't immediately see a thread discussing Turok 1.
Why are you looking in the Valiant section?

They're not Valiant books... no matter how much Dynamite tries to pretend with Valiant names, Valiant images, and Valiant writers and artists.

They're NOT Valiant.

It's really sad that a company that's been around for decades with a larger market share has to pretend they're part of a smaller, newer company.

I guess it's a midlife crisis.

There's a whole section of this board devoted to Gold Key.
viewforum.php?f=43" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That section has an existing Turok #1 discussion:
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=42516" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dynamite has been trying to steal Valiant fans since at least 2005.

They will succeed in some fashion because people like these characters.

But... Dynamite will never get a dollar from me.
I like the characters, but I don't like the publisher.

Judging from other Dynamite titles, they will do their best to take your money (38 covers? Really?) and they will do a pretty good job for about four issues.
Then they'll either stop caring, stop printing on time, or start over with another #1 to take your money again (or all three).

Then they'll rinse.

Then they'll repeat.

At least they're doing this through legitimate channels this time... instead of making a pretend company called "VIP" and applying for trademarks they can't use, like they did in the past.

Why do I keep bringing this up?

Because they want us to forget.

You don't get to break into my house, look for anything that isn't nailed down... get caught, get forced to hand it back... and then pretend we're friends a few years later when you're selling stuff.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Yeah, what Greg said.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

nscc
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite title: X-O/Harby/A+A/Unity
Favorite writer: Vditti/Dysart/FVL/Kindt
Favorite artist: soo many pretty pictures...

Post by nscc »

That's a whole lotta Truth there Greg!
Where are we going and why am I in this hand-basket?

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

As fond as most of us are about the GK 3, a lot of us still remember what happened with the whole VIP mess and it still leaves a bitter taste. It got pretty ugly and was a huge factor in why it took so long for VEI to launch the new VU. I think Greg pretty much summed up how a lot of fans feel, especially the ones that were around at the time.

Aomalle27
Valiant fan since: 90s
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite title: XOmanowar
Favorite writer: ?

Post by Aomalle27 »

I have to admit I picked up Turok #1, since I was a huge fan of the VH1 series. However, after educating myself on the Dynamite practices regarding the Valiant titles (and the slimy legal maveuvering with which they tried to steal non Gold Key characters); I actually tossed it in the garbage. Sadly I liked the story, but knowing now what they have tried in the past, and what they are currently doing (Sorry if you think I'm clueless, but I've been out of comics entirely since Valiant went by the wayside and was relaunched as Acclaim, didn't want to invest in a whole new telling of characters I loved so much) what with using Phil Seleski in their solicits, using the title Dinosaur Hunter instead of Son of Stone, and the whole VIP mess which I was totally clueless on until last night. Took a lot of researching, but finally found the story on that fiasco. So I apologize to VEI and especially fellow board members for giving those goons some of my cash. It will not be repeated, (even though I was soo geeked to see Magnus return, since he was the first VH1 title I ever read, and remains my favorite of the 90's glory days)

Rai-fan

Post by Rai-fan »

Apologies--I basically left these boards and was totally out of new comics for most of the last decade. Had no idea the bad blood here with Dynamite.

But the fact remains, I grew up with VH1, circa 1992-94. I probably read more of the Acclaim titles than most here (for instance, I thought Troublemakers was decent--it took some risks and was under-rated) and I absolutely hated the Dark Horse shooter re-boot attempt a few years ago.

But whatever the political animosity towards Dynamite is, we as fans should rejoice that we're seeing Turok, Solar, and Magnus see the light of day again. And the online reviews of Turok 1 so far have been decent.

I couldn't stand the Acclaim version of Turok, but might actually give this a try. I'll definitely be buying Magnus, at least, as--other than Rai--he's my favorite character. We shall see...

Aomalle27
Valiant fan since: 90s
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite title: XOmanowar
Favorite writer: ?

Post by Aomalle27 »

Rai-fan wrote:Apologies--I basically left these boards and was totally out of new comics for most of the last decade. Had no idea the bad blood here with Dynamite.

But the fact remains, I grew up with VH1, circa 1992-94. I probably read more of the Acclaim titles than most here (for instance, I thought Troublemakers was decent--it took some risks and was under-rated) and I absolutely hated the Dark Horse shooter re-boot attempt a few years ago.

But whatever the political animosity towards Dynamite is, we as fans should rejoice that we're seeing Turok, Solar, and Magnus see the light of day again. And the online reviews of Turok 1 so far have been decent.

I couldn't stand the Acclaim version of Turok, but might actually give this a try. I'll definitely be buying Magnus, at least, as--other than Rai--he's my favorite character. We shall see...
I'm in the same boat as for being out of comics for a long while. A little longer than you, since I didn't appreciate the Acclaim relaunch. Would have stuck with it had they just continued on the stories, but they just relaunched, so I gave up. As to rejoicing that the gold key characters are back? Initially I was stoked, but after reading about all the underhanded shenanigans Dynamite has committed, especially in relation to Valiant, I'm really disappointed to see the relaunch. I liken it to Walmart, although I can buy a lot of the essentials for cheaper prices at Walmart, I choose not to since they treat their workers so poorly and game the system at the expense of taxpayers. (Keeping a majority of their workforce under 35 hrs to avoid providing health benefits, which then get passed down the stream to the taxpayer that's why they were big supporters of the affordable care act, they want the taxpayers to pay for the health care of their employees), and I realize my personal boycott will have zero effect on Walmart profitability, but it's just a matter of personal affront. To each their own.

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

I understand how some feel about VIP, but venting about those feelings in this thread has had the net result of derailing the thread and virtually drowning out the possibility of discussing Turok 1 from Dynamite. Perhaps adding Dynamite to this board is not a good idea, if every time someone wants to discuss a Dynamite Gold Key book they are drowned out by the wailing. This setup seems to invite discussion of the Dynamite Gold Key books, but any poor soul setting out to do so will be appropriately punished for such foolishness.
I think merely adding Dynamite to the Dark Horse Gold Key board is misleading. Let's start a bash Dynamite board instead, the lousy capitalists.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

greg

Post by greg »

You are absolutely right.

Having discussions about Dynamite on a ValiantFans.com website MAY be a bad idea.

I know that I, for one, will continue to post here about Dynamite whatever comes to mind.

For example:
Dynamite can suck my balls.
greg wrote: Why do I keep bringing this up?

You may proceed with your attempt at "on topic" discussions, but if Dynamite books need to be discussed without "suck my balls" comments, perhaps there should be a DynamiteFans.com website. :hm:

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

greg wrote:You are absolutely right.

Having discussions about Dynamite on a ValiantFans.com website MAY be a bad idea.

I know that I, for one, will continue to post here about Dynamite whatever comes to mind.

For example:

You may proceed with your attempt at "on topic" discussions, but if Dynamite books need to be discussed without "suck my balls" comments, perhaps there should be a DynamiteFans.com website. :hm:
I think it's time you started allowing the words *SQUEE* and cock on the boards.

:hm:

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

Never mind about cock ...

greg

Post by greg »

For what it's worth, I took StarBrand's advice and removed Dynamite (and Dark Horse) from the name of this section.

Makes more sense to have these three characters' non-Valiant books be their own category without naming all the different non-Valiant publishers.

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

Greg, you crack me up.

I find it hilarious to see you like this, because there have been SO many opportunities over the years to really go off [on people, products, companies] and you have, for the most part, been a model of restraint.

To see you this fired up really speaks volumes.

Guys, I think he really doesn't like Dynamite. Like at all. :D

Tim
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Tim »

What if we are buying these books out of loyalty to writers like Pak and Van Lente? I don't like Dynamite either, but I also don't like Marvel or DC and I continue to buy stuff from them that are by folks I get good comics from.

That being said, I really wonder what VEI thinks of two of their writers working for a company with which they share nothing but bad history.

MarkRoseHFX
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

For example:

:clap:

+1

Dynamite can also suck my balls
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

MarkRoseHFX wrote:

For example:

+1

+1 to Dynamite sucking Mark's balls!
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

iggy101us
I bought my first comics at Kwik-E-Mart
I bought my first comics at Kwik-E-Mart

Post by iggy101us »

lorddunlow wrote:
MarkRoseHFX wrote:

For example:

+1

+2 . . . I don't want any dynamite near my balls.

etos45
I live to be inefficient!
I live to be inefficient!

Post by etos45 »

For example:

I see the word Dynamite becoming censored to "suck my balls" in the near future. :lol:

MarkRoseHFX
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

iggy101us wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
MarkRoseHFX wrote:

For example:

+1

+2 . . . I don't want any dynamite near my balls.
:hm: you're right. If I let Dynamite near my balls i'll probably get some nasty disease.
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

greg wrote:
Rai-fan wrote:Given the amount of hype and discussion of Shooter's Dark Key line, it seems odd that I didn't immediately see a thread discussing Turok 1.
Why are you looking in the Valiant section?

They're not Valiant books... no matter how much Dynamite tries to pretend with Valiant names, Valiant images, and Valiant writers and artists.

They're NOT Valiant.

It's really sad that a company that's been around for decades with a larger market share has to pretend they're part of a smaller, newer company.

I guess it's a midlife crisis.

There's a whole section of this board devoted to Gold Key.
viewforum.php?f=43" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That section has an existing Turok #1 discussion:
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=42516" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dynamite has been trying to steal Valiant fans since at least 2005.

They will succeed in some fashion because people like these characters.

But... Dynamite will never get a dollar from me.
I like the characters, but I don't like the publisher.

Judging from other Dynamite titles, they will do their best to take your money (38 covers? Really?) and they will do a pretty good job for about four issues.
Then they'll either stop caring, stop printing on time, or start over with another #1 to take your money again (or all three).

Then they'll rinse.

Then they'll repeat.

At least they're doing this through legitimate channels this time... instead of making a pretend company called "VIP" and applying for trademarks they can't use, like they did in the past.

Why do I keep bringing this up?

You don't get to break into my house, look for anything that isn't nailed down... get caught, get forced to hand it back... and then pretend we're friends a few years later when you're selling stuff.
This is just a guess but I think DE is trying to prevent compettion. I mean think about it: The public domain characters by bringing them back if another company or creator wanted to use them now, would they? Because all DE would have to do is sue them or get an injunction to stop them from publishing and while the other company or creator is forced to pay legal fees and possibly go out of business. Just like what Marvel did to Defiant back in the 90s it didn't matter that the courts ruled in Defiant's favor the damage was done just by bringing in the lawyers. Why would I want to use a character that they used in Project: Superpowers to a potentional lawsuit even if the character is in the public domain?

They don't care about any the linence IPs they just want the ones with a movie in the works notice how many Green Hornet, The Lone Ranger, and John Carter books they were publishing before the movies came out (and I know all three of those films bombed at the box office) how many they publish now. My guess is that they think if Sam Raimi does get a chance to make a movie on The Shadow and it's a huge hit they will be sitting on a perverbial gold mine.

They lock up other lincences because they know that there is market for it and better to get something like the Chaos! Comics characters (other than Lady Death) before someone else gets a hold of the rights and maybe makes some good series out of them.

So is DE a good company? I don't think so. I think milk properties to death with a million worthless varient covers by Alex Ross with shoddy writting sometimes by great writers (seriously did anyone think Kurt Busiek's work on Kirby: Genesis was anywhere near good as his work usally is?) and sometimes by great artists who just can't be bothered to make a deadline.

DE is poster child for what is wrong with comics today.,
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!