What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by ian_house »

To me Hickman's Avengers stuff is absolutely incomprehensible...

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

Sheltered from image is one of the better new books out there, IMO (so far).
ASM Crossover Home

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

ian_house wrote:To me Hickman's Avengers stuff is absolutely incomprehensible...
Too many vowels? :poke:
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

MarkRoseHFX
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

lorddunlow wrote:
ian_house wrote:To me Hickman's Avengers stuff is absolutely incomprehensible...
:funnypost:
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

I'm not ashamed to say that his writing is beyond me. I read comics usually to shut my brain down and kickback so I never even try to get into the heady stuff that Hickman writes.
ASM Crossover Home

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

400yrs wrote:
I'm not ashamed to say that his writing is beyond me. I read comics usually to shut my brain down and kickback so I never even try to get into the heady stuff that Hickman writes.
:lol: I can totally understand that, but I really like the really complex stuff he writes. East of West is currently giving Manhattan Projects a run for its money with me for the top of my pull list. For a while, I thought my lack of Marvel knowledge was leaving me a little confused, but I have since learned that everyone was confused by a lot of the same things. I actually love to see his plots start clicking into place. He clearly knows where he is going with a story, and loves to piece the puzzle pieces together for the reader in a very non-logical way. For me, the payoff at the end is totally worth it. This Infinity stuff has me more excited than anything VEI has done so far. (VEI has gotten me very excited lately, so this isn't a disparaging comment about VEI.)

I'm weird when it comes to "relaxation". When I'm not reading comics or books in general, I'm learning the intricacies of the Android OS. I'm weird.

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

400yrs wrote:
I like Manhattan Projects and I like what he did with FF. But I'm not a Marvel fan for years and years so I have no idea who alot of the characters are and they are given little to no introduction and at times don't really seem to have any point to the actual story other than being there, that's what I find incomprehensible and not really enjoyable.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

ian_house wrote:
400yrs wrote:
Harsh. I like Manhattan Projects and I like what he did with FF. But I'm not a Marvel fan for years and years so I have no idea who alot of the characters are and they are given little to no introduction and at times don't really seem to have any point to the actual story other than being there, that's what I find incomprehensible and not really enjoyable.

I've been listening to the Avengers podcast from Cultural Wormhole. It's the same people that do the Valiant podcast (not OTV obviously - the other Valiant podcast with grifter78). It helped me realize that a lot of the characters I thought I was supposed to know about were just Hickman's creations. It has really helped me enjoy them more. They give a lot of the backstory for the characters that do have a history (and tell what they've been doing in other books that I don't read) and point out the one's that Hickman just threw in there.

Month after month the two Hickman Avengers titles have jumped up my pull list as better and better.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

I would not go that far but I would agree with the sentiment of this post.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

lorddunlow wrote:
That is... racist? I think that is a correct usage of the word racist.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Chiclo wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
Are there enough Welsh speakers in the world to qualify as a race? Really just cultural insensitivity. I am amazed that they have been able to keep a Gaelic language alive. Better than any other cultural group of the ancient British Isles.

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

lorddunlow wrote:
Chiclo wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
Are there enough Welsh speakers in the world to qualify as a race? Really just cultural insensitivity. I am amazed that they have been able to keep a Gaelic language alive. Better than any other cultural group of the ancient British Isles.
Nah it's fine to pick on the Welsh... and gingers! :P

krylox
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by krylox »

(moved to the pull-list thread)

Savant

Post by Savant »

lorddunlow wrote:
400yrs wrote:
:lol: I can totally understand that, but I really like the really complex stuff he writes. East of West is currently giving Manhattan Projects a run for its money with me for the top of my pull list. For a while, I thought my lack of Marvel knowledge was leaving me a little confused, but I have since learned that everyone was confused by a lot of the same things. I actually love to see his plots start clicking into place. He clearly knows where he is going with a story, and loves to piece the puzzle pieces together for the reader in a very non-logical way. For me, the payoff at the end is totally worth it. This Infinity stuff has me more excited than anything VEI has done so far. (VEI has gotten me very excited lately, so this isn't a disparaging comment about VEI.)

I'm weird when it comes to "relaxation". When I'm not reading comics or books in general, I'm learning the intricacies of the Android OS. I'm weird.

I wanted to try out East of West, but Dragotta is one of those rare artists who completely ruins a book for me because of my distaste for his artwork......To further that point, I quite enjoyed the majority of Hickman's run on FF/Fantastic Four, but I avoided the Dragotta issues.

As for reading comics, I like having what little intellect that I have stimulated (Moore, Gaiman, Morrison), and sometimes I like fun/easy reads (For example, I liked some pre-New52 work by Geoff Johns).

I don't consider Hickman to be a particularly complex writer, but you certainly have to pay attention when you read his books.

The Dirt Gang
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Unity #1
Favorite writer: Shooter/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by The Dirt Gang »

Savant wrote: I don't consider Hickman to be a particularly complex writer, but you certainly have to pay attention when you read his books.
I kind of feel the same way - granted I've not read a ton of his stuff. I kept hearing about him, so picked up the few things I could find at the library.

Nightly News was very interesting but part of that was his research into the subject of media.

Red Mass for Mars, I didn't really care for.

Manhattan Projects - I enjoyed the first trade but didn't think it lived up to the hype. However, I might have liked it more had I just stumbled upon it. Sometimes the hype can lead to an unearned let down.
Multum In Parvo

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

lorddunlow wrote:
Chiclo wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
That's it! Cultural insensitivity.

The Dirt Gang

Post by The Dirt Gang »

ian_house wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
Chiclo wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
Hey, hey, hey! I've got one son with a Welsh name and another who's a ginger! :sumo:
Multum In Parvo

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

I have a stack of about forty or so newer books to read, but I'm rereading the Invincible HCs because it has been a while. This will be the first time I've reread the later issues. I flew through the first three hardcovers.
ASM Crossover Home

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

The Dirt Gang wrote:
ian_house wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
Chiclo wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
Hey, hey, hey! I've got one son with a Welsh name and another who's a ginger! :sumo:
Sorry dude... they are done for :P

The Dirt Gang

Post by The Dirt Gang »

This morning I finished Dysart's Unknown Soldier. It was very interesting and well done and he wrapped it all up very nicely. The issue on the AK-47 was a great idea and I love how he tied it back to the story at the end. I love comics that inform as well as entertain.
Multum In Parvo

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Savant wrote:
I don't consider Hickman to be a particularly complex writer, but you certainly have to pay attention when you read his books.
Yeah, you are probably right. I guess my problem with Hickman is that I really love his ideas. Transhuman, pax romana, shield, manhattan projects and east of west are all brilliant ideas. I get excited after the first issue and then I get bored quickly where I don't care to see where the story ends up. This is likely because he is much more of a plot writer while I tend to prefer character writers much more.

I'll probably still get east of west in trade. I can't pass up a four horseman story. I picked up infinity as well, but I doubt it will be for me since I never got into cosmic marvel.
ASM Crossover Home

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

The Dirt Gang wrote:This morning I finished Dysart's Unknown Soldier. It was very interesting and well done and he wrapped it all up very nicely. The issue on the AK-47 was a great idea and I love how he tied it back to the story at the end. I love comics that inform as well as entertain.
I read the last trade of Unknown Soldier a couple of days ago. It made for an interesting comparison to Harbinger 15 - maybe a bit of the reverse of Harbinger 15?

The AK issue made me want to open up the safe and give my AK a hug. It is okay, little AK. You are pretty much retired now.

The Dirt Gang

Post by The Dirt Gang »

Chiclo wrote:
The Dirt Gang wrote:This morning I finished Dysart's Unknown Soldier. It was very interesting and well done and he wrapped it all up very nicely. The issue on the AK-47 was a great idea and I love how he tied it back to the story at the end. I love comics that inform as well as entertain.
I read the last trade of Unknown Soldier a couple of days ago. It made for an interesting comparison to Harbinger 15 - maybe a bit of the reverse of Harbinger 15?

The AK issue made me want to open up the safe and give my AK a hug. It is okay, little AK. You are pretty much retired now.
Dysart really did humanize the AK and I think that would be totally appropriate. The AK in the issue seemed like it could have used a hug. :lol:
Multum In Parvo

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

400yrs wrote:
Savant wrote:
Yeah, you are probably right. I guess my problem with Hickman is that I really love his ideas. Transhuman, pax romana, shield, manhattan projects and east of west are all brilliant ideas. I get excited after the first issue and then I get bored quickly where I don't care to see where the story ends up. This is likely because he is much more of a plot writer while I tend to prefer character writers much more.

I'll probably still get east of west in trade. I can't pass up a four horseman story. I picked up infinity as well, but I doubt it will be for me since I never got into cosmic marvel.
East of West is really good. Xiaolian is currently one of my favorite characters in comics, and she's only been in the last two issues. Plus, I'm a sucker for anachronistic/futuristic/western-themed stories. Space/futuristic westerns are just fun.

vikingspawn
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by vikingspawn »

Robocop Last Stand #1
Funnies #9
Darth Vader & The 9th Assassin #1-5
Simpsons Comics #205
The Malevolent Mr. Burns #1