Y the Last Man

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that
Y the Last Man

Post by Elveen »

So thanks to Doc (he lent me his trades), I've started reading Y the Last Man.

I'm 1 TPB in and so far, it's pretty good. I don't think the 1st trade is outstanding, but I did just re-read Sandman, so that is a hard act to follow.

I was a bit surprised that Yorick revealed him self to the chicks so often..... but I did think it was good and I'm looking forward to reading more.

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger
Re: Y the Last Man

Post by myron »

IMO it gets better as the trades go on...
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

MarkRoseHFX
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

myron wrote:IMO it gets better as the trades go on...
+1

you'll start getting hooked Elveen
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

I'm sure I will.

hulk181man
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite writer: Warren Ellis

Post by hulk181man »

MarkRoseHFX wrote:
myron wrote:IMO it gets better as the trades go on...
+1

you'll start getting hooked Elveen
I'll vouch for this title as well, it really does start to roll...one of my favorites.
"Did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts...?"

Bone-A-Fach-ee
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: '92
Favorite character: Tony Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger/Imperium
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

Yup, just read the entire run not too long ago as well. Some questionable moves made by the characters, but overall, a very enjoyable read, and I really dug the artwork too. I would recommend this to anyone who hasn't read it as well.
Brian K. Vaughan has turned into one of my favorite writers. Because of this, I have gone on to read Runaways, and some of Ex-Machina. Still haven't gotten to Saga...

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

Bone-A-Fach-ee wrote:Yup, just read the entire run not too long ago as well. Some questionable moves made by the characters, but overall, a very enjoyable read, and I really dug the artwork too. I would recommend this to anyone who hasn't read it as well.
Brian K. Vaughan has turned into one of my favorite writers. Because of this, I have gone on to read Runaways, and some of Ex-Machina. Still haven't gotten to Saga...
Saga is his best stuff.

Y is a book that is good enough to reread from time to time. I thought the ending was perfect.
ASM Crossover Home

MarkRoseHFX
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

400yrs wrote:
Bone-A-Fach-ee wrote:Yup, just read the entire run not too long ago as well. Some questionable moves made by the characters, but overall, a very enjoyable read, and I really dug the artwork too. I would recommend this to anyone who hasn't read it as well.
Saga is his best stuff.

Y is a book that is good enough to reread from time to time. I thought the ending was perfect.
I'll second that for Saga. I love that book so much. great story and incredible art.
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

hulk181man
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite writer: Warren Ellis

Post by hulk181man »

400yrs wrote:
Saga is his best stuff.

You think so RE: Saga? Btw, SPOILER ALERT! If you haven't read SAGA don't keep reading...

I get the impression w/Saga Vaughn is saying, 'I can write whatever crazy sh*t I want and people'll buy it!' Disemboweled ghosts? Check. A giant naked cyclops complete with dangling ballsack? Check. Rocket ships made from trees? Check. Sentient perverted robots? Check. A half human/spider bounty hunter? Check. A cat that detects lies? Check....okay I really like Lying Cat but you get my point.
"Did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts...?"

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

hulk181man wrote:
400yrs wrote:
Saga is his best stuff.

You think so RE: Saga? Btw, SPOILER ALERT! If you haven't read SAGA don't keep reading...

I get the impression w/Saga Vaughn is saying, 'I can write whatever crazy sh*t I want and people'll buy it!' Disemboweled ghosts? Check. A giant naked cyclops complete with dangling ballsack? Check. Rocket ships made from trees? Check. Sentient perverted robots? Check. A half human/spider bounty hunter? Check. A cat that detects lies? Check....okay I really like Lying Cat but you get my point.
This is exactly why I don't like Saga. The writer is clearly just putting things in for shock value. The story is good, but I don't find the things shocking, so they just seem stupid and pointless (because they are).
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

400yrs
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

That stuff doesn't bother me. It's kind of like white noise to the ongoing story. The cat and the rocket ship are pretty cool though. Any book with strong characters with a compelling love story is my kind of thing.
ASM Crossover Home

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

I did like the cat. Didn't read far enough to see the rocket ship.

caniac
the hole just keeps getting deeper
the hole just keeps getting deeper
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti

Post by caniac »

400yrs wrote:Any book with strong characters with a compelling love story is my kind of thing.
This

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

So I'm in the 8th TPB, the story has totally gotten better. I'm really diggin it.

chriskay99
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Location: The surrounding metropolitan area of Los Angeles, CA

Post by chriskay99 »

I read the TPB volumes 1-8 a while ago. Just got 9 and 10 for Christmas and finished reading them last night. What a great series!! I found an older thread on this board where some people weren't thrilled with the last issue, but I enjoyed it. I think it was fitting, and it would have been hard to wrap up the series with a regular issue. I think the only way they could have done it is by jumping ahead and filling in some gaps like they did.

I was really *SQUEE* off with issue #58 though - the one where Agent 355 dies. Holy crap, what a heartbreaker. Yorick gets past Beth a little bit, figures out who his true love is and then BAM!. I felt bummed out after that issue I don't know if I need to use the spoiler tags for a series that wrapped in 2008 but you never know who's just getting into it.

I read online that Vaughan wanted the cause of the plague to remain a mystery, which is why there are several reasons given for it, everything from chemical attacks to the sacred amulet being removed. Anyone have one theory/cause they strongly believe in over the others?

Does anyone have the deluxe editions of this series? Is there that much added value to it? I have the trades but I was really enamored with it and might consider getting the hardcovers if there's stuff in it to make it worth it.
Black Science. Lazarus. Birthright. Saga. Manifest Destiny. Deadly Class.

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator

Post by ian_house »

lorddunlow wrote:
hulk181man wrote:
400yrs wrote:
Saga is his best stuff.

This is exactly why I don't like Saga. The writer is clearly just putting things in for shock value. The story is good, but I don't find the things shocking, so they just seem stupid and pointless (because they are).
It isn't for shock value. It's a diverse and mature universe which juxtaposes the saccharine sweet love story that Vaughn is creating. If you cut out the 'shock value' stuff it wouldn't work as it would have the same feeling as any other PG fantasy love story which isn't what Vaughn is crafting imo.

I also think people are forgetting the amount of 'shock value' that was in YtlM (eg. a whole issue of bondage torture) as when it all comes together it makes perfect sense. You have to remember we've only had about two arcs of Saga.

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite writer: V-Diddy
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Sven the Returned »

Farscape had not so graffic weird stuff and it worked.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Forgotten Manchu vet wrote:Farscape had not so graffic weird stuff and it worked.
Exactly!

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

lorddunlow wrote:
Forgotten Manchu vet wrote:Farscape had not so graffic weird stuff and it worked.
Exactly!
Do you think Farscape and Saga are comparable? Honestly?

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Saga is a bit more edgy but they are similar.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Also, I like Farscape but not Saga.

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Than you are missing out on some great stuff.