Your greatest comic book disappointments

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
Your greatest comic book disappointments

Post by StarBrand »

What are your greatest comic book disappointments?
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

StarBrand
Re: Your greatest comic book disappointments

Post by StarBrand »

Certainly one of my greatest disappointments in comics was the way the whole Jim Shooter/Dark Horse/Gold Key launch went down.

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

StarBrand wrote:Certainly one of my greatest disappointments in comics was the way the whole Jim Shooter/Dark Horse/Gold Key launch went down.
That is one.

Milestone not being in regular publication as its own thing.

Spider-girl and the whole MC2 just fading away.

!mpact Comics ending.

The tonal shift at DC Comics from around 2005 onward.

Missing out on buying one of the 1000 limited hardcover Zenith collections.

Ultimatum.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

Jace
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clay Mann

Post by Jace »

Crossgen's fall

DC failure to consistently produce a good Legion of Superheroes title

caxiotis
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Valiant fan since: 1991

Post by caxiotis »

Ex Machina

I still get mad thinking about the end of that piece of *SQUEE*
Pull List: I only buy TPB's, HC's and Hellboy comics

nscc
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite title: X-O/Harby/A+A/Unity
Favorite writer: Vditti/Dysart/FVL/Kindt
Favorite artist: soo many pretty pictures...

Post by nscc »

Spiderman: clone saga.... nuff said. :lol:
Where are we going and why am I in this hand-basket?

jedimarley
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.

Post by jedimarley »

Defiant.
Broadway.
Dark Key.

:|

comicsyte95
It's Porktastic!!!
It's Porktastic!!!

Post by comicsyte95 »

jedimarley wrote:Defiant.
Broadway.
Dark Key.

:|
+1
If I just can't be me ,and the Arrow isn't enough.. then maybe I should be Ra's al Ghul

MarkRoseHFX
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

:hm:

I'm gonna say pretty much everything from 1995. So bad it made me stop buying any comics for years.

honorable mention to almost every early 90's Image book
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

Heath
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

What's happened with Ghost Rider the last few years. I'm a huge fan of the character, particularly the 70s Johnny Blaze version. The late 80s/early 90s Dan Ketch was also really good for a while (and made Mark Texeira the definitive Ghost Rider artist), then it got too complicated and wallowed in mediocrity before being cancelled. Then Garth Ennis got a hold of the character and told the same crappy unoriginal story he always tells. Then there was finally a spark of excellence when the new ongoing launched with Daniel Way writing and Mark Texeira back on art, and Johnny Blaze as the title character. For me, this was the best Ghost Rider. A lone biker, haunted by a demon, running into trouble and dealing out vengeance. I thought Daniel Way really nailed what I loved so much about the character. He understood the core biker part, which nobody else has. And Mark Texeira's art is just the absolute perfect fit for the character. Then, Jason Aaron came along and took the book right back to the same overly complicated crap from the 90's with a mix of Garth Ennis's "God is just as bad as Satan" crap thrown in. And things got worse from there.

And now, they've announced a new Ghost Rider. And he drives a car. A freaking car. Ghost Rider driving a freaking car. It's a '69 Dodge Charger, which is awesome, but still, Ghost Rider in a car? facepalm
I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Heath wrote:And now, they've announced a new Ghost Rider. And he drives a car. A freaking car. Ghost Rider driving a freaking car.
Yikes. Talk about not getting it. The interior must smell kinda... toasty. Do flames blow out the sunroof?

Jace
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clay Mann

Post by Jace »

Heath wrote:What's happened with Ghost Rider the last few years. I'm a huge fan of the character, particularly the 70s Johnny Blaze version. The late 80s/early 90s Dan Ketch was also really good for a while (and made Mark Texeira the definitive Ghost Rider artist), then it got too complicated and wallowed in mediocrity before being cancelled. Then Garth Ennis got a hold of the character and told the same crappy unoriginal story he always tells. Then there was finally a spark of excellence when the new ongoing launched with Daniel Way writing and Mark Texeira back on art, and Johnny Blaze as the title character. For me, this was the best Ghost Rider. A lone biker, haunted by a demon, running into trouble and dealing out vengeance. I thought Daniel Way really nailed what I loved so much about the character. He understood the core biker part, which nobody else has. And Mark Texeira's art is just the absolute perfect fit for the character. Then, Jason Aaron came along and took the book right back to the same overly complicated crap from the 90's with a mix of Garth Ennis's "God is just as bad as Satan" crap thrown in. And things got worse from there.

And now, they've announced a new Ghost Rider. And he drives a car. A freaking car. Ghost Rider driving a freaking car. It's a '69 Dodge Charger, which is awesome, but still, Ghost Rider in a car? facepalm

Heath I get the feeling you are an Evil Knievil fan. Remember those bad *SQUEE* toys in the late 70's/Early 80's?

maraxusofkeld
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
Valiant fan since: UNITY
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Magnus
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by maraxusofkeld »

Just about Marvel's entire line from the last 23+ years. facepalm

nscc
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite title: X-O/Harby/A+A/Unity
Favorite writer: Vditti/Dysart/FVL/Kindt
Favorite artist: soo many pretty pictures...

Post by nscc »

Heath wrote:What's happened with Ghost Rider the last few years. I'm a huge fan of the character, particularly the 70s Johnny Blaze version. The late 80s/early 90s Dan Ketch was also really good for a while (and made Mark Texeira the definitive Ghost Rider artist), then it got too complicated and wallowed in mediocrity before being cancelled. Then Garth Ennis got a hold of the character and told the same crappy unoriginal story he always tells. Then there was finally a spark of excellence when the new ongoing launched with Daniel Way writing and Mark Texeira back on art, and Johnny Blaze as the title character. For me, this was the best Ghost Rider. A lone biker, haunted by a demon, running into trouble and dealing out vengeance. I thought Daniel Way really nailed what I loved so much about the character. He understood the core biker part, which nobody else has. And Mark Texeira's art is just the absolute perfect fit for the character. Then, Jason Aaron came along and took the book right back to the same overly complicated crap from the 90's with a mix of Garth Ennis's "God is just as bad as Satan" crap thrown in. And things got worse from there.

Now THAT is *SQUEE* - ing stupid. :censored: facepalm
Where are we going and why am I in this hand-basket?

rambone
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me

Post by rambone »

the Poison Elves reboot :!:

Heath

Post by Heath »

Jace wrote:

Heath I get the feeling you are an Evil Knievil fan. Remember those bad *SQUEE* toys in the late 70's/Early 80's?
Yes! I love Evel Knievel! Was a huge fan as a kid and had a lot of merchandise. I don't have any of that original stuff, but I do have some replica toys including the stunt motorcycle and launcher.

Brother Darque
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Brother Darque »

T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents at DC.

the stories where great but they didn't sell too good.

i was hopping they would integrate the T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents into the DC Universe.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

For real?! This confirms for me why it's a good idea to not read Marvel anymore. They just don't get their own stuff anymore, do they? facepalm

I love the character of Ghost Rider. Have ever since late in the original run. He seems to be a tough character to write properly, though.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Strikeforce Morituri #21-31 (end of the monthly series), & Strikeforce Morituri: Electric Undertow 1-5.

The first 20 issues by Peter Gillis & Brent Anderson are simply some of the best stories fusing sci-fi & superhero concepts together I have ever read. A new creative team took over with #21 that flat out didn't grasp the core concepts of the series that made it so excellent, nor did the art suit the book anymore. A real shame - I re-read the series once a year or so & still get a little angry that the end of it is so horrible, and that the full potential of that world is still unrealized.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

Pretty much every Marvel giant X-over after Fall of the Mutants.

I still think that these killed comics in the nineties more than Valiant/Image did.

They just survived.
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

kevinbastos wrote:Pretty much every Marvel giant X-over after Fall of the Mutants.

I still think that these killed comics in the nineties more than Valiant/Image did.

They just survived.
I never really thought of that as a main reason for the comic book crash, but I'm sure you are right about that. :hm:

hulk181man
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite writer: Warren Ellis

Post by hulk181man »

Unfinished stories such as those solicited and never published by Acclaim, Unity 2000 etc.

Planetary's short-lived life span

Bringing Jean Grey back to life the first time

Resurrecting Norman Osborn

Greedo shooting first...oh wait, you said comic book....
"Did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts...?"

hulk181man
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite writer: Warren Ellis

Post by hulk181man »

jmatt wrote:
Heath wrote:And now, they've announced a new Ghost Rider. And he drives a car. A freaking car. Ghost Rider driving a freaking car.
Yikes. Talk about not getting it. The interior must smell kinda... toasty. Do flames blow out the sunroof?
I've always enjoyed a good GR story...and visually, he's a fantastically designed character. That said, I cannot believe how bad the new series' preview art blows
"Did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts...?"

Heath

Post by Heath »

Really, the art and character design is really horrible.

Another disappointment I have is Spider-Man. Things were going pretty great until Quesada started interfering with JMS culminating in One More Day and the total continuity screw up of Brand New Day. It was enough to make me stop buying Spider-Man comics and that hurt.

String
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by String »

Jace wrote:Crossgen's fall

DC failure to consistently produce a good Legion of Superheroes title
+1

Cancelling LSH in favor of a JL 3000 title is just salt added onto the wound.