The VEI/Dynamite Conspiracy

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.
Re: The VEI/Dynamite Conspiracy

Post by FormerReader »

pixierosa wrote: Valiant has had one of the most successful relaunches that I can think of. Dynamite is trying to cash in on this, and they are clearly mimicking Valiant's business plan (timed monthly launches), style (Valiant's freelancer writers and artists - boy does that Sears image pay homage or what), and are no doubt hoping to ride their coattails and try to get a crossover. I'm sure we will see other companies attempt to mimic Valiant's approach. We've already seen them copy ideas like character sketch covers. It's an annoying form of flattery.

It is of my opinion that Valiant shouldn't crossover with anyone. Their work stands on it's own, and I'd hate to see them have to deal with potential timeline problems like they did with Image.
Very good point. :thumb:

Watchtower
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Watchtower »

Put me in the camp that believes there's no conspiracy involved.

C'mon guys, I love the GK3 as much as the next guy, but we've gotta move on. First thing you guys leap on to is seeing Erica Pierce confront Solar, something any old school fan has already seen (twice if you count the notes for Unity 2000).

If Valiant's to have any success in the future it can't chain itself to past ideals. Would having the GK3 integrated be amazing? Definitely. But until it's actually something feasible I'm not holding hope for it. I like how VEI's trying to do its own thing, actively saying it doesn't need these characters it doesn't have. It's a good mindset.

krylox
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by krylox »

dinesh in cbr interview wrote:Down the road, once we've grown the company in a slow and steady manner, will we go after those characters to wholly own them? Potentially. They are a good next step.
I KNEW IT! HAHAHA!

after a lot of bashing upon dynamite (well deserved or just well-played?) dinesh has this little nugget for us...

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=48789" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bygranddesign
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek

Post by bygranddesign »

that whole final answer is a fascinating back and forth ... some real insight.

Earlier this month, at New York Comic Con, it was announced that Dynamite plans to publish comics based on some of the Gold Key characters -- including Solar, Turok and Magnus, who were all, of course, once a very major part of the previous iteration of Valiant. Was that news disappointing at all, especially given that it involves some of the same creators who are working on current Valiant books? Or is that not something you're not necessarily concerned with?

Simons: It's flattering, you know? Whenever someone launches a line, they're pretty much using the template that we sat down.

Shamdasani: The best thing you can do as a writer, is, in front of one of the other companies, talk to Warren Simons, because they will descend on you so quickly. We're just trying to do the best comics we can, and for some reason, they think we're doing the most innovative comics on the planet, because every single thing we do they seem to do very quickly. The 8-bit, the pullbox covers, all the creative teams, the way we market.

Dynamite's the best example. It's our characters from the '90s marketed towards our fans, with our trade dress, our cover artists, our writers. They tried to get our interior artists! They couldn't, because people are loyal to us.

We're looking forward to those books. We love Fred and we love Greg, we wish them the best of luck. The Valiant fans have had an interesting reaction, and I hope the books work.

Simons: We're super-happy for Greg, we're super-happy for Fred. They're great characters, we all think the world of them. It's fascinating that this is the template that they're following based on what we did when we launched.

Shamdasani: It's a compliment, is what it is.

Pierce: We, at this point in time, are not interested in those characters, if that's the basis of your question.

Shamdasani: We never went after them.

Pierce: When we were discussing this before we launched the company, I was very clear that I wasn't interested in those characters. I love the Valiant characters that we have.

Simons: We said this from the start: We have such a big universe as it is, we have great characters. We don't need them.

Just to clarify, there's also no crossover coming. We have no plans for that right now. I have no interest on making sure that one of my writers' scripts needs to be approved by a third party somewhere else.

Shamdasani: And that's the reason we haven't gone after them. We own all the characters that we're launching now, and that's the big piece for us, because it means we can do what we want with them. We don't have to compromise the creative integrity because we have to get a licensee to approve something. And we haven't been able to get to some of the bigger characters.

Down the road, once we've grown the company in a slow and steady manner, will we go after those characters to wholly own them? Potentially. They are a good next step. But probably at that point we're going to have a bunch of characters, like the Bleeding Monk, that are new that we've created that the fans demand get their own books. It's hard to say. The fans ask us a lot: Are we going to get Magnus, Solar and Turok? The answer is, we don't know. But certainly not as a license.
Ha! Yeah! Nice! Any of those dudes in your head mosh?! - Flamingo

bygranddesign

Post by bygranddesign »

they might say they are happy for fred and greg

but reading between the lines - it must irk them a little also

They know Dynamite is trying to vulture sales from Valiant fans

I wonder if Clayton Henry was one of the interior artists that they were trying to get?

Perhaps a factor in making him an exclusive

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

bygranddesign wrote:they might say they are happy for fred and greg

I wonder if Clayton Henry was one of the interior artists that they were trying to get?

Yeah. The happy about Fred and Greg seemed like the polite thing they were saying, but the "They tried to get our interior artists! They couldn't, because people are loyal to us," seems to indicate that the interior artists showed some loyalty, but those particular writers did not.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

bygranddesign

Post by bygranddesign »

lorddunlow wrote:
Yeah. The happy about Fred and Greg seemed like the polite thing they were saying, but the "They tried to get our interior artists! They couldn't, because people are loyal to us," seems to indicate that the interior artists showed some loyalty, but those particular writers did not.
agreed

blujay
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 2011
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by blujay »

bygranddesign wrote:that whole final answer is a fascinating back and forth ... some real insight.

Earlier this month, at New York Comic Con, it was announced that Dynamite plans to publish comics based on some of the Gold Key characters -- including Solar, Turok and Magnus, who were all, of course, once a very major part of the previous iteration of Valiant. Was that news disappointing at all, especially given that it involves some of the same creators who are working on current Valiant books? Or is that not something you're not necessarily concerned with?

Simons: It's flattering, you know? Whenever someone launches a line, they're pretty much using the template that we sat down.

Shamdasani: The best thing you can do as a writer, is, in front of one of the other companies, talk to Warren Simons, because they will descend on you so quickly. We're just trying to do the best comics we can, and for some reason, they think we're doing the most innovative comics on the planet, because every single thing we do they seem to do very quickly. The 8-bit, the pullbox covers, all the creative teams, the way we market.

Dynamite's the best example. It's our characters from the '90s marketed towards our fans, with our trade dress, our cover artists, our writers. They tried to get our interior artists! They couldn't, because people are loyal to us.

We're looking forward to those books. We love Fred and we love Greg, we wish them the best of luck. The Valiant fans have had an interesting reaction, and I hope the books work.

Simons: We're super-happy for Greg, we're super-happy for Fred. They're great characters, we all think the world of them. It's fascinating that this is the template that they're following based on what we did when we launched.

Shamdasani: It's a compliment, is what it is.

Pierce: We, at this point in time, are not interested in those characters, if that's the basis of your question.

Shamdasani: We never went after them.

Pierce: When we were discussing this before we launched the company, I was very clear that I wasn't interested in those characters. I love the Valiant characters that we have.

Simons: We said this from the start: We have such a big universe as it is, we have great characters. We don't need them.

Just to clarify, there's also no crossover coming. We have no plans for that right now. I have no interest on making sure that one of my writers' scripts needs to be approved by a third party somewhere else.

Shamdasani: And that's the reason we haven't gone after them. We own all the characters that we're launching now, and that's the big piece for us, because it means we can do what we want with them. We don't have to compromise the creative integrity because we have to get a licensee to approve something. And we haven't been able to get to some of the bigger characters.

Down the road, once we've grown the company in a slow and steady manner, will we go after those characters to wholly own them? Potentially. They are a good next step. But probably at that point we're going to have a bunch of characters, like the Bleeding Monk, that are new that we've created that the fans demand get their own books. It's hard to say. The fans ask us a lot: Are we going to get Magnus, Solar and Turok? The answer is, we don't know. But certainly not as a license.
The whole top part of the interview makes them sound as if they're pretty annoyed by the whole thing. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't "gold key" currently owned by DreamWorks?

That sounds like a pretty tough buy if you ask me

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

lorddunlow wrote:

I'm sure there will be those that disagree, but it's always seemed to me that a writer can handle multiple monthlies much easier than an artist (as a general rule, but I'm sure there are exceptions; I'm sure there are some titles that would require a good deal of research on the part of the writer, and also artists that are very quick and can handle a large workload). With that in mind, it's possible to recruit writers without the necessity of them dropping their existing titles, as is the case here with Pak and Van Lente. The same usually isn't true of artists. I'm not aware of any of Valiant's current artists that is doing more than a book a month, so taking on another title would probably necessitate dropping their Valiant work.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

kjjohanson wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:

I'm sure there will be those that disagree, but it's always seemed to me that a writer can handle multiple monthlies much easier than an artist (as a general rule, but I'm sure there are exceptions; I'm sure there are some titles that would require a good deal of research on the part of the writer, and also artists that are very quick and can handle a large workload). With that in mind, it's possible to recruit writers without the necessity of them dropping their existing titles, as is the case here with Pak and Van Lente. The same usually isn't true of artists. I'm not aware of any of Valiant's current artists that is doing more than a book a month, so taking on another title would probably necessitate dropping their Valiant work.
I take it as this, also. Writers can sometimes have 2 or 3 gigs at the same time (look at Marvel and DC 's "fan darling" writers), but this doesn't happen with artists.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Carson
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
The VEI/Dynamite Conspiracy

Post by Carson »

I'm pretty sure they weren't concerned with Greg and Fred writing another book. Mark Waid writes like 10 a month. I think they genuinely are happy for them.

Artists on the other hand generally can't produce a book a month. That's why there's alternating teams each arc. If Cary could produce 12 books a year, he'd be XO's only artist.

So, if dynamite succeeded in stealing one of Valiant's artists, it would be a big slap in the face to editorial, who would then need to go find a replacement for that artist.

I for one am not going to give Dynamite .01 of my money. I don't like the way they do business and I don't see these books lasting more than a year or two.
AKA "The Anti-Chartist: he who made Charty go Sharty"
---------------------
Valiant Fan # 2021
---------------------
G.I. Joe Fan #1
http://www.3DJoes.com

MoonChild
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
Favorite character: BloodShot
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by MoonChild »

Yea no dice vip sorry.
Carson wrote:I'm pretty sure they weren't concerned with Greg and Fred writing another book. Mark Waid writes like 10 a month. I think they genuinely are happy for them.

Artists on the other hand generally can't produce a book a month. That's why there's alternating teams each arc. If Cary could produce 12 books a year, he'd be XO's only artist.

So, if dynamite succeeded in stealing one of Valiant's artists, it would be a big slap in the face to editorial, who would then need to go find a replacement for that artist.

I for one am not going to give Dynamite .01 of my money. I don't like the way they do business and I don't see these books lasting more than a year or two.
Click the Sig, Hear Something Different!
http://www.reverbnation.com/lexmoon
Also, Check my reverbnation page^

kjjohanson
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong

Post by kjjohanson »

Carson wrote:I'm pretty sure they weren't concerned with Greg and Fred writing another book. Mark Waid writes like 10 a month. I think they genuinely are happy for them.

I really like what Van Lente and Pak are doing with their Valiant work, and from what I read of the concept for Magnus sounds interesting, so I plan on giving those a try, but I do wish that a different company was publishing them.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator

Post by ian_house »

Wasn't Dynamite -> Dynamic Forces (?)-> VIP?!?

I can see this as a reason to never do business with Dynamite. I may be totally wrong as this was a long time ago and very confusing/secretive.

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

I'll answer question number 1. The way Dark Horse handled their launch of the characters was inept. They didn't even brand the line, and couldn't put the books out on anything resembling a schedule. It wouldn't be difficult to do a relaunch with these characters and surpass what Dark Horse did with them.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

StarBrand wrote:I'll answer question number 1. The way Dark Horse handled their launch of the characters was inept. They didn't even brand the line, and couldn't put the books out on anything resembling a schedule. It wouldn't be difficult to do a relaunch with these characters and surpass what Dark Horse did with them.
It would not be difficult but it would also not be within character for Dynamite.

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

Chiclo wrote:
StarBrand wrote:I'll answer question number 1. The way Dark Horse handled their launch of the characters was inept. They didn't even brand the line, and couldn't put the books out on anything resembling a schedule. It wouldn't be difficult to do a relaunch with these characters and surpass what Dark Horse did with them.
It would not be difficult but it would also not be within character for Dynamite.
Ba-tish. :thumb:

That joke my friend proves the old tag of joke-killer was ill-fitting! :)
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

ian_house wrote:Wasn't Dynamite -> Dynamic Forces (?)-> VIP?!?

I can see this as a reason to never do business with Dynamite. I may be totally wrong as this was a long time ago and very confusing/secretive.
Ah, I didn't put that together. *SQUEE* them then.

Carson

Post by Carson »

depluto wrote:

Yeah, I thought most folks on here knew that. This is the #1 reason I will not be buying their books.

To make sure it's clear for anyone that might not know:

The people that tried to force Valiant (VEI) into "partnering" with them on the new books (by sneakily registering Trademarks for all of the Valiant characters while the IP was being legally sold at bankruptcy auction to Dino and company), are the same people behind the upcoming Dynamite books.

These *SQUEE* kept VEI tied up in legal battles for years trying to retain the Trademarks without any real effort to use those trademarks on any new books. They created one crappy ashcan. Once they lost the case, they started looking for other opportunities to capitalize on VEI's work.

They think us valiant fans will support relaunched Solar, Magnus, and Turok books from them. I for one, will not.

I love the new valiant, and if I have extra comic money, it will go to Valiant variants and/or merchandise. It will certainly not go to these shady businessmen.
AKA "The Anti-Chartist: he who made Charty go Sharty"
---------------------
Valiant Fan # 2021
---------------------
G.I. Joe Fan #1
http://www.3DJoes.com

Peter
Favorite character: Gilad Anni-Padda
Favorite title: Eternal Warrior

Post by Peter »

Carson wrote:
depluto wrote:

Yeah, I thought most folks on here knew that. This is the #1 reason I will not be buying their books.

The people that tried to force Valiant (VEI) into "partnering" with them on the new books (by sneakily registering Trademarks for all of the Valiant characters while the IP was being legally sold at bankruptcy auction to Dino and company), are the same people behind the upcoming Dynamite books.

These *SQUEE* kept VEI tied up in legal battles for years trying to retain the Trademarks without any real effort to use those trademarks on any new books. They created one crappy ashcan. Once they lost the case, they started looking for other opportunities to capitalize on VEI's work.

They think us valiant fans will support relaunched Solar, Magnus, and Turok books from them. I for one, will not.

I love the new valiant, and if I have extra comic money, it will go to Valiant variants and/or merchandise. It will certainly not go to these shady businessmen.
:clap:
I fully agree with you Carson, Dynamite will not be getting any of my money for these titles either.

I am quite happy to fully support Valiant, and if down the track after DE have run these titles into the ground, and Valiant are able to acquire these characters on their own terms, then I will read these titles again.

All the talk about business scruples and whether DE have been underhanded through all this, or it is just good business sense, to me, if it looks, walks and acts like a duck, then it is a duck, and I as the consumer, I have the right to choose which company gets my hard earned. :thumb:

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

Carson wrote:
depluto wrote:

Thanks, I didn't want to put out incorrect info if I was wrong. But both VEI and Valiant fans should keep clear of these *SQUEE* imo.

leonmallett
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

Makes me wonder what fans who are determined not to support DE (fair enough) but want to support VEI (also fair enough) will do when it comes to the VEI merchandise (if they like that kind of thing) that DE/DF put out? :hm:

I don't tend to pick up that stuff, but will there be hard choices for some? :hm:
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

AnthonyF
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: TOYO HARADA
Favorite title: HARBINGER

Post by AnthonyF »

leonmallett wrote:
when it comes to the VEI merchandise (if they like that kind of thing) that DE/DF put out? :hm:
I thought VEI was no longer partnered with DE/DF, with their merchandise being handled by another company. :hm: ?

FormerReader

Post by FormerReader »

Peter wrote:
Carson wrote:
depluto wrote:

I fully agree with you Carson, Dynamite will not be getting any of my money for these titles either.

I am quite happy to fully support Valiant, and if down the track after DE have run these titles into the ground, and Valiant are able to acquire these characters on their own terms, then I will read these titles again.

All the talk about business scruples and whether DE have been underhanded through all this, or it is just good business sense, to me, if it looks, walks and acts like a duck, then it is a duck, and I as the consumer, I have the right to choose which company gets my hard earned. :thumb: