How to determine Which Publisher to use?

Comic universes no longer active, Bravura, Continuity, CrossGen, Future, Malibu, Ultraverse... and others that are 'no longer with us' today (or only recently brought back).

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

thereallwizardl
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
How to determine Which Publisher to use?

Post by thereallwizardl »

I was wondering as I am sorting my collection I have been running into a decent chunk of comics that list multiple imprints and publishers on them. How are these supposed to be put together? for example I have

Catalyst (Dark Horse & CGW [Comics Greatest World])
Clonezone Special (Dark Horse & First Comics)
Masters of the Universe (MVCreations & CGE [Crossgen])

What I have been doing so far is to take the lesser of them and use that. so like on Breed it says both Malibu and Bravura. So I put them with the Bravura.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris
Re: How to determine Which Publisher to use?

Post by Chiclo »

Malibu was quite the comics empire. Bravura and Ultraverse came pretty late in the company history but I sort them separately within Malibu, alongside their other imprints like Amazing, Aircel, Adventure, Eternity, Imperial, Pied Piper, Platinum and Wonder Color. I started a project to make a complete Malibu checklist, here - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=32249" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I keep CGW separate within Dark Horse. We have one of those checklists around here too.

Several First comics properties ended up at Dark Horse. Nexus is another example and that is how Nexus became creator-owned; when Dark Horse bought whatever publishing rights to Nexus that First had, they gifted any claim to Steve Rude and Mike Baron.

'Breed III was published by Image.

thereallwizardl

Post by thereallwizardl »

I read the checklists and found them to be wonderful (thanks to everyone that helped on them). But I was wondering in general so that when either starting a checklist that isn't already made or encountering a new label.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

If I am going to give it that much thought, I am probably going to research the imprint.

If that imprint was large (more than a dozen or so issues), I will probably keep it separate within the publisher.

If that imprint was just a few issues, I will diffuse it into the rest of the publisher's issues, alphabetically by title.