Who is getting an Xbox One or a Playstation 4 ?

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam
Re: Who is getting an Xbox One or a Playstation 4 ?

Post by xodacia81 »

I only retrogame and honestly, I don't miss being out of the loop on the new stuff. I have better things to spend my money on, but if others enjoy it, cool. I just won't be a part of the current mess of gaming.

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes

Post by Knightt »

xodacia81 wrote:I only retrogame and honestly, I don't miss being out of the loop on the new stuff. I have better things to spend my money on, but if others enjoy it, cool. I just won't be a part of the current mess of gaming.
I totally respect that. However, "the current mess of gaming"? I could not disagree more. I have gone from PC to Xbox to Xbox 360, ps2, ps3 and now forward to Xbox One. I gave seen the evolution from game geek to household name and now to something that not only plays games but can assist in the entirety of one's entertainment center not only in the living room but the entire household as well as remote on the go gaming, connectivity and communication.

A mess? Not from where I am standing. This next gen gaming console may not be the ultimate game changer but it's quite the step up from an N64.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Strangely the next gen platform I want to know more about is Valve's Steam Machine. It could be the first real attempt at PC-console hybrid and if so that sounds really cool.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Cyberstrike wrote:Strangely the next gen platform I want to know more about is Valve's Steam Machine. It could be the first real attempt at PC-console hybrid and if so that sounds really cool.
+1
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Link?

robb77
nice one
nice one

Post by robb77 »

http://www.product-reviews.net/2013/10/ ... x-one-ps4/

Looks really good, just need to wait for the price.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Hardware wise yes, impressive. But the price will factor in as to whether this can contend with either Xbox One or the PS4. Likewise, what is their gaming software, connectivity to online gamers, and fan base for online play to include its infrastructure to support online gaming, game updates, and online game purchases. With more servers than ever and the disposal of a server farm that is equal to the size of the entire internet in the year 1999, the Xbox One looms large. I think out would be a very daunting task to break into the gaming console market at a time like this... love term or hate them both Xbox One and PS4 are ramping up to impress AND provide connectivity and interoperability with so much that I think they will reshape current entertainment.

With those specs, they have a lot of potential, I hope they can support it AND their customers at the same time.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Knightt wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:I only retrogame and honestly, I don't miss being out of the loop on the new stuff. I have better things to spend my money on, but if others enjoy it, cool. I just won't be a part of the current mess of gaming.
I totally respect that. However, "the current mess of gaming"? I could not disagree more. I have gone from PC to Xbox to Xbox 360, ps2, ps3 and now forward to Xbox One. I gave seen the evolution from game geek to household name and now to something that not only plays games but can assist in the entirety of one's entertainment center not only in the living room but the entire household as well as remote on the go gaming, connectivity and communication.

A mess? Not from where I am standing. This next gen gaming console may not be the ultimate game changer but it's quite the step up from an N64.
I might sound paranoid, but I don't want to add another device to my life that collects even more information. Not when I have to pay extra for the "priv" of it all. I don't have the desire to constantly game. I can get my entertainment, in the form of films and television, through other means. I don't like it. I won't pay the price and if I'd only use it for, at best, one function, why bother? I won't tell anyone not to do it, but for me, it's not something I'm willing to do.

KXXX
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: Shadowman N64
Favorite character: 2012 Torque
Location: Up your butt and around the corner, all the way to California

Post by KXXX »

I have to chime in here, if for no other reason than that I was literally just playing the last launch-bought console in my collection: my Gamecube.

This is a big deal because revisions actually SUBTRACTED something, the component output on the back. While I do have occasional issues, it's still a damn solid machine. Nintendo makes durable *SQUEE*.

The first generation PS2s were huge, burned out often and required an external internet adapter. The slimline revision was MUCH better. As a matter of fact, I'm about to buy another new one... Sony literally just stopped making them this year. Absolutely insane when you think about it.

I have a Wii, and the only major revision I am aware of (if it even happened; I know they planned it) was a new model that excluded the Gamecube backwards-compatibility. Not sure when I bought it but I ow it wasn't launch.

While the exclusion of the PS2 hardware may be one of many issues to consider when arguing the quality of PS3 versions, we can all safely say that the third revision is a pile of *SQUEE* by most accounts and looks like it was designed by idiots. It's a aesthetically appealing as a glass of flaming cat puke. I have the larger-capacity second model and there have been no major issues.

I have the latest non-slimline 360 and it's given me zero issues. I hate the slimline look and while I can't remember exactly what it is, there's something about it that makes it superior to the physically-revised models. Again, happy to be right in the middle of revisions on this one.

Hell, even my PSP is in the middle of the revision chain and is by far my favorite one. The first one was clunky, the third removed a function that made the second so cool: you could play it via component cables on an HDTV. I mean, it's not a must-have thing, but it's cool.

I guess the bottom line for me is that I'd much rather wait a little while than be the guy that has to have the new toy.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

:thumb:

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Knightt wrote: Likewise, what is their gaming software, connectivity to online gamers, and fan base for online play to include its infrastructure to support online gaming, game updates, and online game purchases. With more servers than ever and the disposal of a server farm that is equal to the size of the entire internet in the year 1999, the Xbox One looms large. I think out would be a very daunting task to break into the gaming console market at a time like this... love term or hate them both Xbox One and PS4 are ramping up to impress AND provide connectivity and interoperability with so much that I think they will reshape current entertainment.

With those specs, they have a lot of potential, I hope they can support it AND their customers at the same time.
It's Steam, dude. They exist solely for connectivity between gamers. They even turn their seasonal uber-sales into mini games. They gave some of the strongest online communities in gaming. Just look at Team Fortress 2

Keith
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

Can't believe I didn't think to look for this subject till now...

Anywho, count me in with the Xbox One crowd. Had both systems preordered on Amazon the day they opened them up, but later dropped the PS4 order when it was revealed 1886 was out of the launch window. I'll admit that I've been more of an Xbox fan the past two gens, with Playstations purchased after the number of exclusives available became to much to ignore.

Preordered Ryse, Dead Rising 3, and Assassins Creed 4. Also preordered Watch Dogs, but we know what happened there. Not too upset about it, my list is awfully Third Person Adventure heavy.

While I mainly play single player games, I do enjoy the odd multiplayer match. That being said, it might be fun to get a game going with some of y'all. Anyone want to set up a "over 40, casual gamer, Valiant fan" league?
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

Baramos
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.

Post by Baramos »

KXXX wrote:

The first generation PS2s were huge, burned out often and required an external internet adapter. The slimline revision was MUCH better. As a matter of fact, I'm about to buy another new one... Sony literally just stopped making them this year. Absolutely insane when you think about it.
The only issue I had with my first gen PS2 was way back when I bought it off someone, I had to send it in to get the disc drive replaced (for free). No issues after that. Still works, though I haven't turned it on in a year (probably since the last time I wanted to play Contra: Shattered Soldier).

That said it's still not as good as the first-gen Nintendo systems. My NES and SNES still work great! N64 as well.

The PS2 did have an incredibly long lifespan, a good 7-8 years of new releases, right? I feel like the PS3 had a few more years in it as well but they got caught up in this new wave of having to release a new console despite, in my opinion, no need for one yet.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Baramos wrote: I feel like the PS3 had a few more years in it as well but they got caught up in this new wave of having to release a new console despite, in my opinion, no need for one yet.
QFT.

As for the quality of older systems, the N64 is a tank.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

So the PR tide has turned on the PS4. Glad I'll be waiting on either of these devices (I'll likely be getting a PS4 - but I'm in no rush).

PS4 won't support DLNA (no streaming media from you computer or other devices). I don't understand why they would make this decision as people have come to expect DLNA support for everything (hell, even most HDTVs and Blu-ray players support DLNA and have done so for about 5 years or so - not to mention Roku, many DVRs, Xbox 360, PS3, etc. It's a huge step backwards, and I can't believe they didn't forsee a PR nightmare with loss of an important feature (for many).

It also won't support mp3 files (this will be a big issue for me, as I love to listen to my own music while playing) or audio CDs (not really much of an issue nowadays).

Microsoft just recently got Sony back for the E3 smack down they were handed - they announced they would support DLNA and audio CDs (but still no mp3 support).

Baramos

Post by Baramos »

They don't want to support MP3s because they want to push that Music Unlimited streaming service.

Does the PS3 let you listen to MP3s while playing? I honestly never tried it, but I don't think it does. I'm sure it at least SUPPORTS the format, though, whereas this apparently will not for some godawful reason.

I think both these consoles have too many design flaws to get me to buy them even if I felt like there was even a vestige of artistic vision behind either of them.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Baramos wrote:They don't want to support MP3s because they want to push that Music Unlimited streaming service.

Does the PS3 let you listen to MP3s while playing? I honestly never tried it, but I don't think it does. I'm sure it at least SUPPORTS the format, though, whereas this apparently will not for some godawful reason.

I think both these consoles have too many design flaws to get me to buy them even if I felt like there was even a vestige of artistic vision behind either of them.
The PS3 does not allow local or DLNA content (mp3s and the like) to be played during games - it's the only thing I liked better about the XBox 360. It was up to each game's developer to incorporate that ability with the PS3. Few did, but my favorite game (Burnout Paradise) did allow mp3s stored on the ps3 to be played instead of the game's soundtrack - although that game had a decent soundtrack to begin with.

Both devices are very unfriendly to the consumer. They are trying to emulate Google, Amazon, and Apple by making money off of their services instead of their hardware. Problem is their hardware is expensive. Google has very cheap devices available (many free with service contracts), Amazon's services predate their hardware (which is also very affordable), and Apple - well they're Apple - they can set their own rules and just print money.

The near-sightedness of Sony is that they think people will pay them for a service they already have. People don't usually like paying for things more than once, especially if that thing is not a concrete object. Most people pick a pony for music: iTunes, Amazon, Google Play, Rhapsody, etc. As far as I know, virtually all of the music you purchase for one place, can be made available (as music DRM is almost completely gone) with varying degrees of difficulty in any of the other services/devices. I'm not going to use Sony Music Unlimited. Ever. I use Amazon. It is usually cheaper than iTunes and they allow cloud storage for every song. I also use Google Music, but it mostly just has my Amazon purchased files that have been uploaded to their cloud. Microsoft and Sony are just shooting themselves in the feet. I truly believe this will be the last generation of traditional consoles.

I'm sure I'll end up with a PS4 eventually. I have to play Kingdom Hearts III.

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

I'll be standing in line to pick up an X-Box One next week..

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

Picking up my PS4 at midnight Thursday. Then I'll probably spend a few hours downloading updates ...

:lol:

betterthanezra

Post by betterthanezra »

Getting excited about the upcoming XBox release the three games I'm getting are

AC: Black Flag
NBA2K14
Lego Marvel

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

My Valiant story here

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

depluto wrote:Picking up my PS4 at midnight Thursday. Then I'll probably spend a few hours downloading updates ...

:lol:
Well? How is it and how do you like it?

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

betterthanezra wrote:Getting excited about the upcoming XBox release the three games I'm getting are

NBA2K14
Lego Marvel

-Brian
Not exactly my kind of game. I have absolutely no use for sports games out of the gate as they are the first to plummet in secondary market prices. Gamestop will have sports games cut 30-40% within -8 weeks after Day One. I can't stand to pay any of the Lego games for more than an hour either.

My Day One launch titles are:

Call of Duty: Ghosts
Assassins Creed: Black Flag
Ryse: Son of Rome

I currently have Ghosts on the 360 and I will trade up as I have a dope deal with the owner off the local Gamestop that will negate my $10 disc upgrade bit this is a no bassinet for me, family tradition is "get Dad the new FPS for Veterans Day err I mean his birthday, err I mean both". AC Black Flag appeals not to the Assassins Creed aspect but for the Pirate playability. Ryse Son of Rome is a MUST because it looks damn sweet. Kate I plan to purchase Forza, maybe Battlefield 4 and maaaaaybe Dead Rising 3 but I don't have a "gotta pay either of those game" feeling in my gut.

I am in high anticipation of:

Titanfall
Dying Light
Start Wars Battlefront
Fable Legends
Halo
Metal Gear Solid

I hope that they put out Batman Origins for the Xbox One but I have not seen or read any commitment from the Batman devs. I may have to make a Black Friday Gamestop purchase of Batman Origins as it is one of the reasons I'm keeping my 360 around. Well that and I've got 50 other games I need to work on, wait I've got about 5 old Xbox games I'm wanting to play as well. Ok ok, I'm keeping my 360 for a while.

If there are those of you who want to trade in their 360 to Gamestop and also have an Xbox One already preordered, they are offering 90% trade in value on each 360 you bring in tomorrow only. Bottom line that will garner you $50 for each working system and $30-$35 for nine working systems. These trade in values will go towards the remaining balance left on your Xbox One. If it is already paid off, then it can be used towards games and accessories. Note: I think the trade in value can only be used towards Xbox One consoles, games, and accessories.

betterthanezra

Post by betterthanezra »

Knightt wrote:
betterthanezra wrote:Getting excited about the upcoming XBox release the three games I'm getting are

NBA2K14
Lego Marvel

-Brian
Not exactly my kind of game. I have absolutely no use for sports games out of the gate as they are the first to plummet in secondary market prices. Gamestop will have sports games cut 30-40% within -8 weeks after Day One. I can't stand to pay any of the Lego games for more than an hour either.

My Day One launch titles are:

Call of Duty: Ghosts
Assassins Creed: Black Flag
Ryse: Son of Rome

I've been on the fence about NBA for that very reason and my kids want Lego Marvel....really bad. They LOVE the Lego games. I'm very intrigued with Ryse and might change my mind on NBA and switch to get that depends on the reviews I read this week on it.

I've never been much of a COD fan. I'll be keeping my 360 close and hooked up since I'm trying to complete several games on it still.

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

My Valiant story here

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

I really dislike the fact that I need to keep my 360 around to play my library of old games. My fault for buying so many without finishing them before moving on. Every single player FPS has always been finished but those other games like Vanquish and Darksiders II are waiting to be finished and that may never happen.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Knightt wrote:I really dislike the fact that I need to keep my 360 around to play my library of old games. My fault for buying so many without finishing them before moving on. Every single player FPS has always been finished but those other games like Vanquish and Darksiders II are waiting to be finished and that may never happen.
My massive backlog on my ps3 is the reason I'm not jumping to get the PS4. They've been very vague about backwards compatibility. Definitely won't play the discs, but I can't figure out if the PSN games are playable on both PS3/PS4, I think they are for many games. The most appealing thing to me about the PS4 is the remote play for every game (which now seems to maybe not be 100% of games). I already have a Vita, so the thought of playing a game on the big screen, but being able to continue in the bed while the family sleeps is a big plus.