Bloodshot & H.A.R.D. Corps #14 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Keith
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL
Bloodshot & H.A.R.D. Corps #14 Discussion

Post by Keith »

Gotta dash off to a meeting, but I wanted to relay that I just finished reading B&HC... and it was awesome! Great art, great characterization, great story... let not your hearts be troubled by the changes this issue brings, we are in store for some great stuff!
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

hunter_peterson
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Kris Hathaway
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Re: Bloodshot & H.A.R.D. Corps #14 Discussion

Post by hunter_peterson »

Yeah, this was great. It made me care about all of the new characters, interested to see what happens next and Kozol called Canada a foreskin. :clap:

Honestly, this book is going to be increasingly amazing. Dysart, Gage and Luppachino are a delicious blend... also, I am hungry.

EDIT: Also, the character talked about in interviews called Lioness, a single mother who joins HARDCorps to feed her children, appears to be renamed Granite. At least at first, anyway. Both names are cool. :)
Last edited by hunter_peterson on Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

This was an awesome issue. Definitely gets a new reader up to speed (not that I am one) but not in a beat-you-over-the-head way. Palmer may quickly become one of my favorite characters. Great job building him up.

Lupacchino's art was great. I wasn't sure how well it would suit the tone of the book, but I thout it was excellent. My only issue is that many of the HARD Corps members look very similar, but that's a design issue more than her art.

Bloodshot is happy for the save now, but how will he react when he finds out HARD Corps are PRS?
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

bygranddesign
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek

Post by bygranddesign »

Great Read! Gage and Dysart do a great job of summarizing the series without it feeling like its a re-tread ... and also going through all the background of each of the characters and how they got to this point and what joining HARD Corps means.. it was very well done

The art was strong. But I do wonder if Luppacchino will excel at delivering the gory action we are used to with this series.

I also agree that some of the characters look too similar - Disciple and Superstar have similar look and build to them. Maniac with hair also looks similar to them ... probably should have kept him bald.

but minor complaint ... overall excellent issue

9/10 - Really enjoyed it.
Ha! Yeah! Nice! Any of those dudes in your head mosh?! - Flamingo

Spylocke
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 1993

Post by Spylocke »

Bloodshot had been the title I have had the least amount of interest in but I had to buy this issue because of my fondness for the old H.A.R.D. Corps series.
I'm still a bit in shock over losing Shakespeare and Hammerhead but so far Granite is a nice addition. I really like the idea of someone joining for purely pragmatic reasons.

Gunslinger's use of preset power sequences was an interesting idea and I liked that he stressed using defensive powers for the most part and mastering just a few. So far it has a more grounded feel than the old series.

I did find Maniac a bit jarring, though. He looks too different than he did in Harbinger Wars and sounds like a different kind of crazy than the agent of karma he was in HW.
Overall a really good issue. It turns out that adding "and H.A.R.D Corps" to titles is a step in the right direction. I'd probably even buy a "Wolverine and H.A.R.D. Corps" series...provided it was light on the Wolverine aspect.

bygranddesign
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek

Post by bygranddesign »

Spylocke wrote:
Gunslinger's use of preset power sequences was an interesting idea and I liked that he stressed using defensive powers for the most part and mastering just a few. So far it has a more grounded feel than the old series.
yeah i liked this also! Very cool idea with the preset sequence.

Couldn't you imagine this being an awesome concept for a video game?

brilliant strategic gameplay :hm:
Ha! Yeah! Nice! Any of those dudes in your head mosh?! - Flamingo

comicsyte95
It's Porktastic!!!
It's Porktastic!!!

Post by comicsyte95 »

I like that a minister is a member of the H.A.R.D. corps it might bring up some ethical issues as he is expected to be a killer.
If I just can't be me ,and the Arrow isn't enough.. then maybe I should be Ra's al Ghul

first_citizenx
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by first_citizenx »

I never read the H.A.R.D. Corps back in the day, but I really like how this team is shaping up! Major Palmer seems really fleshed out (between Harbinger Wars and this issue), which makes him seem like a solid character. I like him. I also agree with comicsyte95 about Preacher. I can't see him as being someone eager to kill; seems like he'd be better suited as a medic or perhaps a rear guard. Still, any possible ethical issues could be fun to see unfold.

rpellech83

Post by rpellech83 »

Loved the issue and look forward to more. New take on Superstar is interesting and it seems like the H.A.R.D. Corps is similar to Strikeforce Morituri.

BugsySig
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

rpellech83 wrote:Loved the issue and look forward to more. New take on Superstar is interesting and it seems like the H.A.R.D. Corps is similar to Strikeforce Morituri.
Good comparison. I was going to say its a bit like Wood's, and later Spencer's, THUNDER Agents. It's also got a hint of Suicide Squad (anyone can die at any time) and Warriors of Plasm (the everyman with powers).
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

AnthonyF
Favorite character: TOYO HARADA
Favorite title: HARBINGER
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry

Post by AnthonyF »

:clap: 10/10 for me! No complaints with the story, and great to see Charlie back in action. The art was very well done, I was pleased with how quickly the story moved, while also introducing the characters for new readers.
Spylocke wrote: I did find Maniac a bit jarring, though. He looks too different than he did in Harbinger Wars
That was my only nit pick. I'm with you guys, it a nice surprise to see Maniac return - but the visual with his reappearance was so jarring. I vote for bringing the shaved head back, and make him a scrawnier, so he doesn't look like a clone of the two other guys.

Blood of Heroes
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.

Post by Blood of Heroes »

Bloodshot and HARD Corps were my two favorite titles back in the day, so it's no surprise that I really dug this book. Maniac's conversation with Palmer was especially good, and I'm really really glad he called him 'Gunslinger'. It's too cool a call sign not to use this time around. :thumb:

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

I thought it was fantastic, my favourite issue of the month as well as my favourite issue of Bloodshot.

The book never could have got here without Bloodshot and Harbinger wars but now that it's here the sky is the limit!

I think this book is poised to enter the upper echelons with Harbinger and XO.

5/5 :thumb:

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by pixierosa »

Really good read. This may be the meatiest book I've read from Valiant. We counted the pages. Even with the brief preview I'd seen, it still felt like I was reading a bigger book. That says a lot about the writing.

Great job developing the new characters. We're already invested in them.

The art is okay. Very clean but not as gritty as I'd like to see this title. Also, Lupacchino tends to illustrate people as if they are all near the same age (young adults). Charlie should look older in the face, not just have a streak of white. The lifeline woman was obviously part of the original team, and since Charlie and Maniac are not young, it would make sense for her to be older than the 25 years she appears to be. Maniac looks too robust and young. This was one of my pet peeves about her run on A&A also. I loved how she illustrated the geomancer, but Archer was drawn older (wider jaw, more mature physique) and Eternal Warrior was too smooth. Minor quibbles.

Another nice job. Valiant really knocked it out of the park today.
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

Savant

Post by Savant »

This was fantastic. The characterization, the goings-on of Harada, the set-up, everything was done just right.....This issue exceeded any expectations I had of the new creative team. This was better than any previous issue of Bloodshot, and I liked the majority of what we had before on this title.

One of the best things about this issue was it felt like a true extension of Harbinger Wars. Had that same epic feel to it.

Since this issue was set up so well, and was very new-reader friendly, Valiant might have been better off restarting the title at issue #1. I give them credit for not doing such (Cheap money-grab), but it probably would've attracted a larger number of new readers. If you compare this issue to Eternal Warrior #1, in my opinion this comic would've had more potential readers in it for the long haul in comparison to people who read EW #1.

comicsyte95 wrote:I like that a minister is a member of the H.A.R.D. corps it might bring up some ethical issues as he is expected to be a killer.
Definitely an interesting angle. I'm looking forward to seeing how that plays out.

AnthonyF wrote: I'm with you guys, it a nice surprise to see Maniac return - but the visual with his reappearance was so jarring. I vote for bringing the shaved head back, and make him a scrawnier, so he doesn't look like a clone of the two other guys.

That would be my only quibble with the issue. I love Lupacchino's art, but three of the male members of the team look a little too much alike. During the training room sequence, I initially thought Maniac was Frye (religious guy).

Savant

Post by Savant »

On a side note, I was looking at the cover art for Bloodshot & H.A.R.D. Corps #16 (regular Zircher cover), and I noticed the three new recruits don't seem to be on there. There's a bald Black guy, a white woman with reddish-brown hair, along with Bloodshot, Gunslinger, and Maniac.

Did they change some of the characters up before that cover art was done, or will there be further recruits? I certainly don't think all three new recruits will be killed in this first mission. If so, that would be rather shocking, especially with the character development we got on Granite.

If the reason for that cover art is because the characters got changed during the creative process, will the cover itself resultingly be changed?

AnthonyF
Favorite character: TOYO HARADA
Favorite title: HARBINGER

Post by AnthonyF »

Savant wrote:On a side note, I was looking at the cover art for Bloodshot & H.A.R.D. Corps #16 (regular Zircher cover), and I noticed the three new recruits don't seem to be on there. There's a bald Black guy, a white woman with reddish-brown hair, along with Bloodshot, Gunslinger, and Maniac.

Did they change some of the characters up before that cover art was done, or will there be further recruits? I certainly don't think all three new recruits will be killed in this first mission. If so, that would be rather shocking, especially with the character development we got on Granite.

If the reason for that cover art is because the characters got changed during the creative process, will the cover itself resultingly be changed?
I was wondering the same :hm: But hey, it kept us guessing who was going to be on the team. :D
Guess we can't rely too much on the covers to depict the contents.

ThatDarnCabbage
Valiant fan since: Summer of Valiant 2012
Favorite character: Faith and Bloodshot

Post by ThatDarnCabbage »

This issue was great! Tons of development, and some great new characters. Plus the art was wonderful too. I was also annoyed about Maniac having hair, although another nitpick I had was when Kozol was showing Palmer the videos of the three new recruits, Granite says she has three kids, but when we see her later she only has two. Kind of a editing/continuity error. Still, minor quibbles from an otherwise great book!

Bone-A-Fach-ee
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: '92
Favorite character: Tony Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger/Imperium

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

Very meaty ready. Dug the whole book. I can easily see HARD Corps, or at least Gunslinger having their own title. He's an awesome character.
Same quibbles as everyone else, I didn't realize that was Maniac when he first showed up. Didn't look anything like the Maniac we met in HW. I thought there was going to be a "body transfer" storyline or something. But yes, all the men look pretty much the same. Hard to suss out who's who at times.
But incredible writing, enjoyable art, and very much looking forward to more!
:clap:

Savant

Post by Savant »

AnthonyF wrote:
Savant wrote:On a side note, I was looking at the cover art for Bloodshot & H.A.R.D. Corps #16 (regular Zircher cover), and I noticed the three new recruits don't seem to be on there. There's a bald Black guy, a white woman with reddish-brown hair, along with Bloodshot, Gunslinger, and Maniac.

I was wondering the same :hm: But hey, it kept us guessing who was going to be on the team. :D
Guess we can't rely too much on the covers to depict the contents.

Come to think of it, the Lupacchino pullbox variant of #14 had the bald Black guy and a woman with short black hair on the cover. Did anyone get this one? I was supposed to get this cover from my LCS, but was given the regular cover instead. I also checked mycomicshop.com, and the Lupacchino pullbox variant isn't listed......Did Valiant take it out of production because the characters changed during development?

ThatDarnCabbage wrote:This issue was great! Tons of development, and some great new characters. Plus the art was wonderful too. I was also annoyed about Maniac having hair, although another nitpick I had was when Kozol was showing Palmer the videos of the three new recruits, Granite says she has three kids, but when we see her later she only has two. Kind of a editing/continuity error. Still, minor quibbles from an otherwise great book!
I noticed the 3 kids/2 kids error, also, although it's possible she does have three kids but the third one wasn't shown during that scene.

rpellech83

Post by rpellech83 »

I thought the Superstar character was great the first time around and would love to see what they do with this version. Would be cool if Palmer takes this one under his wing.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

I'll just echo what everyone else has stated. The book reads very easily for a first time reader but not overly redundant for the initiated. Meaty dialogue and story.

Art was fantastic. By page three I turned back to the masthead expecting to see Clayton Henry as the artist and was pleased to see Lupacchino's name. I very much like their style (put Pere Perez in that category too). Good background detail in every panel.

I think the idea of their suits having a hologram projection is a little too convenient, but a minor quibble.

Great issue! :thumb:

Captain Craig
Favorite character: XO Manowar/Shadowman
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: tough one

Post by Captain Craig »

This was hands down an exceptional read. Palmer just comes off the page as someone you want to like, respect and I also might add fear....just a bit.
I can see where the personal lives of our new HC recruits are likely to come into play as part of a narrative. You can almost see Granite's family being held in the balance as Harada uses her in some double agent capacity....or maybe I've just been reading fiction too long and I'm reading way, way too much into things.

Bloodshot may not have had much panel time but what he had was relevent follow-up to Harbinger Wars while still allowing a new reader to come into the book. This was a great set up, the type I wish had been done in Eternal Warrior #1, good for new & established readers to be able to pick up, get hooked and come back next month.

Too often the past 5-8yrs the decompression of storytelling (the big 2 are the most guilty) has meant I can read through an issue in 5-6minutes cause there is so little dialogue, thoughts or narrative/exposition boxes to fill the book. It took me a good 12 or so minutes to read this issue, well done, well played VALIANT!!!

hunter_peterson
Favorite character: Kris Hathaway

Post by hunter_peterson »

ThatDarnCabbage wrote:This issue was great! Tons of development, and some great new characters. Plus the art was wonderful too. I was also annoyed about Maniac having hair, although another nitpick I had was when Kozol was showing Palmer the videos of the three new recruits, Granite says she has three kids, but when we see her later she only has two. Kind of a editing/continuity error. Still, minor quibbles from an otherwise great book!
Obviously that kid was pooping. Realism, people! :P

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Captain Craig wrote:This was hands down an exceptional read. Palmer just comes off the page as someone you want to like, respect and I also might add fear....just a bit.
I'm glad they softened him up from the HW introduction. I had no interest in rooting for that guy.