Who is getting an Xbox One or a Playstation 4 ?

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes
Who is getting an Xbox One or a Playstation 4 ?

Post by Knightt »

I just reserved an Xbox One and am pretty stoked about it. Anybody else getting one? Playstation 4 ?

Thoughts on either ?

Heath
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall
Re: Who is getting an Xbox One or a Playstation 4 ?

Post by Heath »

No Xbox One for me. Not as long as Kinect and an internet connection is required and Microsoft is a willing partner of the NSA. I'm becoming too paranoid for that.

Maybe I'll get a PS4 in a few years.
I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Heath wrote:No Xbox One for me. Not as long as Kinect and an internet connection is required and Microsoft is a willing partner of the NSA. I'm becoming too paranoid for that.

Maybe I'll get a PS4 in a few years.
They've backpedaled substantially on all of that, but I'm still staying far away. I'll be getting a PS4, but I'm in no rush to buy one at launch. I still have about 100 games (both free through PSPlus and purchased over the years) on PS3 to get through. I'll be getting one for sure when Kingdom Hearts 3 comes out.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

nscc
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite title: X-O/Harby/A+A/Unity
Favorite writer: Vditti/Dysart/FVL/Kindt
Favorite artist: soo many pretty pictures...

Post by nscc »

For me, I am always skeptical with new hardware and software. I will wait for a bit and see if there are any reported issues and then look into getting a ps4.

Too many problems with xbox/xbox360 and ps1 and 3. Ps2 seemed to work really well, even on launch (I think).
Where are we going and why am I in this hand-basket?

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

nscc wrote:For me, I am always skeptical with new hardware and software. I will wait for a bit and see if there are any reported issues and then look into getting a ps4.

Too many problems with xbox/xbox360 and ps1 and 3. Ps2 seemed to work really well, even on launch (I think).
I got a launch PS2 - running great still, but there were some bugs in the launch hardware.

PS3 launch hardware is actually superior, as it literally has a PS2 inside it. No emulation for backwards compatability - it just plays it with the PS2 innards. I don't have one of those and wish I did, as I have a bunch of PS2 games that weren't compatible with the emulation of the later PS3s. The newest slim PS3s don't even play ps2 at all, although that's less important since most of the incompatible games now have updated HD versions that are available from the PSN store.

It's the price that puts me off at launch. I'll wait until they have a price drop and a great bundle deal like I did with the PS3. The biggest annoyance at launch is peripherals/accessories. Too expensive at launch.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

I would hope that Microsoft learned a huge lesson from the Xbox 360 days and the Red Rings of Death. Here is to hope (!!) but I reserved my Xbox One through Wal-mart when they recently re-opened pre-orders. Wal-Mart is also offering a 3-year warranty for only $44 which is the cheapest warranty in town and is two years longer than Microsofts (one year) and Targets (two year) warranties. The Target warranty covers everything to include dropping the damn thing but again, it is only two years. Wal-Mart's warranty covers everything except dropping the unit. As my consoles never move, I'll take the extra year of coverage because I've gone through 3 Xbox 360s since I purchased mine in 2008. I upgraded to the Xbox 360 S later on and have never had one bit of trouble with it but by then they worked the bugs out. Damn, I will talk myself off the ledge on buying an Xbox One if I am not careful.

I will barrel through with any Day One problems as I am keeping my Xbox 360 for a while until I finish some of the cooler games. However, I will be selling my PS3 at the earliest opportunity. It has been the most expensive blu-ray player to date. Sure, I loved playing Heavenly Sword, Resistance and Infamous but aside from that... meh.

R Daneel
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Solar, Magnus
Favorite title: VEI Harbinger

Post by R Daneel »

<--- XB1 launch day edition from Amazon. See you online Knightt!

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

I'll be picking up a X-Box One at launch also :thumb:

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

<------- Darque Knighttt

Yes, three "t"... I screw up my gamertag.

Looking forward to this.

What will be your first game purchases? I'm sure I will get DAY one COD: Ghosts and thinking about Dead Rising 3. . After that, TITANFALL ! !

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Titanfall does look awesome. It's not Xbox exclusive is it?

Heath
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

Knightt wrote:However, I will be selling my PS3 at the earliest opportunity. It has been the most expensive blu-ray player to date. Sure, I loved playing Heavenly Sword, Resistance and Infamous but aside from that... meh.
Let me know when you're ready to sell the PS3. I might be interested maybe. But take your time. :)
I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

lorddunlow wrote:Titanfall does look awesome. It's not Xbox exclusive is it?
Titanfall is currently exclusively Xbox One and Xbox 360, along with PC, but on August 26, 2013, Respawn (game developer) co-founder Vince Zampella alluded to the possibility of a PlayStation 4 version could be in the near future. Titanfall slated to hit shelves in the spring of 2014. Whether it’s only for Xbox One and PC is to be determined.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Heath wrote:
Knightt wrote:However, I will be selling my PS3 at the earliest opportunity. It has been the most expensive blu-ray player to date. Sure, I loved playing Heavenly Sword, Resistance and Infamous but aside from that... meh.
Let me know when you're ready to sell the PS3. I might be interested maybe. But take your time. :)
My PS3 is the original version which plays PS2 games as well, just FYI. I plan on selling it with around 10 or so games that I played on it. So, I'll let you know before I Craigslist it.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

The one point in this that I am disappointed is that I missed the Xbox One Day One console pre-order deadline. It comes with some cool free stuff but at least I will HAVE an Xbox One when it comes out. I guess it would be too easy to wait for it to arrive in the mail.... my impatience is going to cost me. My rationalization is that I will have a longer warranty than if I picked it up at GameStop.... but, I just read that I can pre-order the Day One edition (again) from Wal-mart, same warranty applies but, its the wait.

I'm reconsidering my pre-order. The wait might be worth it... hell, what to do, what to do?

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

PS4 all the way. I don't even game with my PS3 anymore. I just use it as a multimedia player and home server of sorts for media.

I'll probably use the PS4 the same way for the most part.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

I do the same with my Xbox 360 now except I play games as well.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Knightt wrote:The one point in this that I am disappointed is that I missed the Xbox One Day One console pre-order deadline. It comes with some cool free stuff but at least I will HAVE an Xbox One when it comes out. I guess it would be too easy to wait for it to arrive in the mail.... my impatience is going to cost me. My rationalization is that I will have a longer warranty than if I picked it up at GameStop.... but, I just read that I can pre-order the Day One edition (again) from Wal-mart, same warranty applies but, its the wait.

I'm reconsidering my pre-order. The wait might be worth it... hell, what to do, what to do?
Well, I can rest easy. I've shopped a GameStop for years and the guy who runs it is going to let me purchase his reserved Day One console. Sometimes things just work out. I'll keep my regular console reserved at Wal-Mart just in case some catastrophic happens. Then if everything runs smoothly, I'll go in and cancel it, get the downpayment back and buy a game.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

I bought day one launches of PS2, Dreamcast, and Gamecube but haven't bothered with day one launches since then. I would rather wait until there are some games that I would actually want to play and prices come down, and soft/firm/hardware issues are known and corrected.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Brother Darque
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Brother Darque »

i think i'll be tapping out on video games.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

I've thought about that. I mean I'm getting old and should be increasing the size of my gun collection but when I saw the amazing graphics and mostly the entertainment integration with the Xbox One, well.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Stop yer grinnin' and drop yer linen. I just received notification that Xbox One launch day is... November 22, 2013.

Baramos
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.

Post by Baramos »

I'm incredibly "meh" about this next gen.

There simply seems to be no grand vision behind these. Are the graphics better? They don't really seem to be. How about the game physics? What is it that is going to truly set them apart from this gen? Nothing really has been said. It has more processing power, I guess? I dunno. Less draw-in? It's hard to find a game WITH draw-in issues on PS3. Maybe GTA 4, it had a little bit of draw-in issues sometimes.

To be sure, I waited several years to get a PS3, but at least I pined for one during those years. These, it's just like...eh. I just...I just don't care.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Baramos wrote:I'm incredibly "meh" about this next gen.

There simply seems to be no grand vision behind these. Are the graphics better? They don't really seem to be. How about the game physics? What is it that is going to truly set them apart from this gen? Nothing really has been said. It has more processing power, I guess? I dunno. Less draw-in? It's hard to find a game WITH draw-in issues on PS3. Maybe GTA 4, it had a little bit of draw-in issues sometimes.

To be sure, I waited several years to get a PS3, but at least I pined for one during those years. These, it's just like...eh. I just...I just don't care.
It's all "in-development" for now, but apparently Sony is working on VR peripherals based on the success of the Oculus Rift. That would be cool.

I'm with you for the most part, though. But I'll definitely be getting a PS4. As I stated a few months ago, I feel this is the last generation of console gaming as we know it.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

I remember when the Xbox 360 came out. The graphics and fluidity of the graphics were very nice as I saw in Call off Duty 2. I thought they were great when compared to original Xbox. I expect the same for Xbox One (PS4), the first go around of games will be very nice, better than game graphics now but in a year to two the graphics will improve greatly as developers find new ways to tweak the current systems power.

I bought Medal of Honor: Warfighter and was really excited at how beautiful it looked. I ended up being disappointed because "my system" was not producing those beautiful images. Well, we were being shown how great this game looked with PC graphics which had considerably more power. I think the next gen consoles will bring that graphic quality and power of the PC to the console and I don't need to sit in my office to enjoy it. That coupled with the fact that both Xbox One and the PS4 are taking great steps to integrate these stand into your living room as a media center with the ability to control and view your TV shows you watch, the music you like, and the games you play will set these apart from their predecessors. Xbox 360 has already already made strides towards being a media center but with all of this and that going on, it feels like trying to surf the web on a 56k modem. Already I get frustrated with my newer model 360, sputtering along and playing games like Skyrim and Call of Duty: Black Ops II with them stuttering during gameplay. I'm taking a chance on a brand new console but I think it's time to grow out of my Batman undies and step into some Batman boxers. More is being demanded from game makers, this is the tool with which they can start doing that... I hope.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

You actually made a lot of the points I made in my post many months ago about why I think consoles won't be around after the next generation (PS4/XBox One).

Computers update more easily and with more customizability, in addition to having more power. PCs are not the behemoths they were when the PS3 and Xbox 360 were first released. I have a HTPC which doubles as a gaming PC in my home theater. It's the size of a small DVD player. I don't even have to use a keyboard. I can control it (very easily) using a PS3 controller solely. I can apply mods that are developed by the fan community. I have XBMC loaded on it as well as Windows Media Center which allows DVR functionality. I can watch Hulu (without having to pay a stupid subscription - and it skips the ads). I can install anything remotely through VNC or TeamViewer. I can load emulators and check email, yada yada.

The last thing console gaming had going for it was game exclusivity. In the XBox/PS2/Gamecube days, that was what sold systems - what games would the system have? A game released on Gamecube would likely be only available for the Gamecube, and if it did cross to other systems it would be many months and often a year or longer. It was very unlikely to ever get a PC port. Same for Xbox and PS2. For games that had release on multiple systems, then there would be an exclusive level or character. None of this exists today (even with the current gen). Only timed exclusives exist, and the periods of exclusivity are getting shorter and shorter. This leaves the only differentiating games being first party games which across the board are getting worse, if you ask me. Only Nintendo has held onto some of that magic, but the games just rely on the same age old Mario formula with minimal innovations.

It's really only a matter of time before Apple and Android supplant the home console market like they have the handheld market. Good or bad, that's what I see coming.

Like I said, I'll definitely be buying a PS4 (and probably a Vita so I can game in bed by streaming the PS4 games to it through the remote play capabilities), but I don't think there will be another generation of game consoles (at least not the way we all know and love them).