What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator
using a Welsh to American translator
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by ian_house »

Cyberstrike wrote:
400yrs wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:The Superior Spider-Man #2-5 This is an interesting concept and the story was not awful, but it's too bad art sucks.

Superior Spider-Man is excellent! I don't see how anyone could dislike Stegman's art. I could understand Ramos since it's stylized, but I love his stuff too.

If you like Spidey, this is good stuff, just like all of Slott's Spidey.
I haven't loved Spider-Man since the BND raped the characters and has litterally ruined Peter Parker and Mary Jane for me.

I wish I could I say that I loved The Superior Spider-Man but I don't. IMHO it's just average IMHO The Uncanny Avengers was better written and it's just average. I love Ramos' art work but it seems every body that tries to copy his style just makes it look awful. The story is OK but not great either, IMHO the problem was putting Peter's ghost or his mind into the series too early it feels like a maxi-series.
I think Superior Spidey has been great fun and not sure what complaints there can be about the art. It's a grade A book and although we all know where it's going it's a how Spiderman comics should be, fun.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

ian_house wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:
400yrs wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:The Superior Spider-Man #2-5 This is an interesting concept and the story was not awful, but it's too bad art sucks.

Superior Spider-Man is excellent! I don't see how anyone could dislike Stegman's art. I could understand Ramos since it's stylized, but I love his stuff too.

If you like Spidey, this is good stuff, just like all of Slott's Spidey.
I haven't loved Spider-Man since the BND raped the characters and has litterally ruined Peter Parker and Mary Jane for me.

I wish I could I say that I loved The Superior Spider-Man but I don't. IMHO it's just average IMHO The Uncanny Avengers was better written and it's just average. I love Ramos' art work but it seems every body that tries to copy his style just makes it look awful. The story is OK but not great either, IMHO the problem was putting Peter's ghost or his mind into the series too early it feels like a maxi-series.
I think Superior Spidey has been great fun and not sure what complaints there can be about the art. It's a grade A book and although we all know where it's going it's a how Spiderman comics should be, fun.
IMHO Stegman is a very bad Ramos wannabe. Also I found The Superior Spider-Man more boring than fun.

Now to some books with very good stories and art:
Matt Wanger's Grendel Omnibus vol. 2: The Legacy
Superman: For Tommorow
Batman: Hush
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo vol. 1
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Lightning Strike
Silent from '04 to '07, then he strikes!

Post by Lightning Strike »

Cyberstrike wrote:
Now to some books with very good stories and art:
Cool art, lousy story
Cyberstrike wrote:Batman: Hush
One of the best Batman books ever. Period
Cyberstrike wrote:The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo vol. 1
Let me know your thoughts on this. I haven't read it yet, but did see the movie.

Xtianhardy
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1995
Favorite character: Pete Stanchek
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Xtianhardy »

lorddunlow wrote:Just read East of West and really liked it. After reading Revival #8, I'm ready to add it to my pull list. I'm hooked. Not that it was a especially great issue, but the book continues issue after issue to keep me interested and want more. The characters are interesting, and I feel this book is going to be really awesome down the line. On the other hand, I'll be dropping Nowhere Men after reading #4. I was bored by this issue and was underwhelmed by the book in general.
I read the first trade of Revival this weekend and absolutely loved it. My fiance' finished it and said "what the hell did I just read?" but I love not having a clue where the story is going, but being totally captivated by the mystery as well as the characters and the setting.

I haven't been reading Nowhere Men. The book looked very cool but nothing about the story or the "science is the new rock and roll" premise interested me.
"We are what we imagine ourselves to be" - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Xtianhardy
Valiant fan since: 1995
Favorite character: Pete Stanchek
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Xtianhardy »

Cyberstrike wrote: Now to some books with very good stories and art:
It's not my favorite part of the Grendel story overall but I do really dig parts of this volume. Devil's Legacy in particular. My only complaint about these omnibuses is that they're not the same size as a normal comic book and it's a shame they're not available in hardcover. Still, I can't wait to have all four volumes in my collection.
"We are what we imagine ourselves to be" - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Xtianhardy wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:Just read East of West and really liked it. After reading Revival #8, I'm ready to add it to my pull list. I'm hooked. Not that it was a especially great issue, but the book continues issue after issue to keep me interested and want more. The characters are interesting, and I feel this book is going to be really awesome down the line. On the other hand, I'll be dropping Nowhere Men after reading #4. I was bored by this issue and was underwhelmed by the book in general.
I read the first trade of Revival this weekend and absolutely loved it. My fiance' finished it and said "what the hell did I just read?" but I love not having a clue where the story is going, but being totally captivated by the mystery as well as the characters and the setting.

I haven't been reading Nowhere Men. The book looked very cool but nothing about the story or the "science is the new rock and roll" premise interested me.
I liked the issues in the Revival trade, and I definitely wanted more, but wasn't sure it was going to be a keeper. The story seems to be developing much more and the characters are starting to be more fleshed out and real in issues 6-8. I'm really enjoying it now.

I was pulled into Nowhere Men for the same reasons you state that it interested you. The first 3 issues were good (not great) and had definite potential. Issue #4 was disjointed and didn't really leave me wanting more. I don't even care to find out what's really going on. (I would say mystery is my favorite aspect of a story - I love to be confused and trying to figure out what's going on along with the characters. It's why I'm liking Bloodshot so much.)

I've been reading more of Hickman's run on Fantastic Four, and between this and East of West I think I've pinned down why I like him so much. He packs a lot of story in each issue. Reflecting on East of West, there is a lot of story and character development in a single issue. I also think he accomplishes a lot with whatever artist he works with, especially in the Fantastic Four run. One of the early issues with the City of Atlantis, there is literally a 4-5 page segment with no word bubbles, but the story is told very well. I know I keep waxing poetic about his works, but I don't enjoy any writers work this much, except for Gaiman. The issue I have with comparing them is that Gaiman writes about only one theme (it happens to be one that I love); even in his short stories and novels there is a similar theme.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Spylocke
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 1993

Post by Spylocke »

Here are the non-Valiant books I read:
Dial H: Consistently good. Even issues in the middle of arcs provide interesting ideas and funny lines. Definitely worth trying out if you have an off-beat sense of humor. China Mieville's super hero ideas alone make it worth buying.

Wolverine and the X-Men: The oddest comic book ever. Get this...it has Wolverine's name stamped on it but I don't find it predictable and tedious. I'm a guy with severe Wolverine fatigue and I find this to be a really enjoyable title. Like I said...odd.

X-Factor: For a long time it was the only X-title I read. It really proves that characters just need a good writer to be interesting. It made me care about Shatterstar of all characters.

Chew: I can't say enough good things about Chew. It has that wonderful mix of cartoonish and macabre that so many try and fail to accomplish. I have a bad habit of speeding through comics and missing the art but not with Chew. Scanning the art for hidden jokes is part of the fun.

Saga: It is probably the most touching comic I have read in a while.

Batman Inc.: Batman never really did it for me but I liked Grant Morrison so I gave it a shot. Batman setting up franchises, as absurd as it sounds, makes for a great excuse for team-ups and seeing the rest of the DC world. That and any comic that references Bill Hicks, even once, gets my loyalty.

Morbius: It hasn't been out long so I'm still deciding what I think. I am a fan of the character and I like that Marvel has a title that isn't connected to X-Men or The Avengers. I have a feeling it won't last, though. I get a Druid or Doctor Voodoo feeling from it.

X-Men Legacy: I'm a Legion fan so I was compelled to buy this book. It isn't often that following a character pans out for me but it sure did this time. The series, like Legion himself, is trying to carve out it's own niche. It has heart. Weird heart, but heart just the same. Surprisingly philosophical for an X-title and not afraid to harshly examine Xavier's dream and the X-Men as a whole.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

Xtianhardy wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote: Now to some books with very good stories and art:
It's not my favorite part of the Grendel story overall but I do really dig parts of this volume. Devil's Legacy in particular. My only complaint about these omnibuses is that they're not the same size as a normal comic book and it's a shame they're not available in hardcover. Still, I can't wait to have all four volumes in my collection.
That is how I perfer my omnibuses (DH and IDW style) not the $100+ tomes that Marvel put out which makes my buying them very hard.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

I just re-read Sebastian O, and for some reason enjoyed it again.
That is a puzzling-ly enjoyable read.

I just started Morrison's run on new x men. So far so good.

Lightning Strike

Just finished "Legends of the Dark Knight: Alan Davis". Pretty on the eyes, but the story is kind of campy.

Lightning Strike

"Batman Noel" by Lee Bermejo. Bermejo's art is simply amazing, but his writing isn't the greatest. And the story is a little flat. Again, pretty pictures, but the story not so good.

One thing I noticed when reading this book was when I turned the book slightly at an angle, it looked like the book was in 3D. It was THAT realistic.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

Elveen wrote:I just re-read Sebastian O, and for some reason enjoyed it again.

I think I am really enjoying these books

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

The Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #13-An amusing, (IIRC not as funny as it could've been or was promoted) one-off that features a group of Autobots going to an alien bar on shore leave. Sweve makes a lot bad jokes, Ultra Magnus gets totally wasted, Cyclonus starts a bar fight to protect Tailgate's secret (that he's a janitor not a bomb disposal expert) and two of them sing an anicent Cybertronian hymn. Sweve, Skids, Tailgate, Whirl, all get human holographic avatars based on their pysche (Whirl and Tailgate's avatars are probably the funniest thing in this issue) and Ultra Magnus uses the likeness of Verity Carlo (an annoying human character that I dispise). Roberts' take on Ultra Magnus continues to be my main complaint with the book, he's been an annoying OCD berucrat instead of the bad @$$ space cop he once was. I didn't find this issue as "laugh out loud funny" as I have previous issues, there are a few good chuckles. Overall a good time killer.

caniac
the hole just keeps getting deeper
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti

Post by caniac »

Just picked up East of West will get around to reading it in the next couple of days. The books that do not sit in the waiting to be read pile are Saga, XO Manowar, Harbinger, and Bloodshoot. I think I'm like 3 issues behind on TWD...

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Elveen wrote:
Elveen wrote:I just re-read Sebastian O, and for some reason enjoyed it again.

I think I am really enjoying these books
:thumb:

I was already blabbing about this in the Morrison thread, but this is one of my favourite runs of his, and of any Xmen title. It rivals anything by Byrne/Claremont as one of the all time greatest Xmen storylines in my opinion.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

I read the Epic Kill tpb. I read it mainly because I like the art. The story is like a ridiculous Elektra story, but the dude can draw real purty-like.

I've also been catching up on Morning Glories. I think I'm through #14. I definitely didn't like it in singles, but I enjoy it in chunks for sure.
ASM Crossover Home

Big Red
Valiant fan since: Before the Anni-Padda...
Favorite character: Divinity, X-O, & Bloodshot
Favorite title: Divinity
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by Big Red »

Star Wars: Legacy - Prisoner of the Floating World #1

Enjoyed it very much. This is the first Star Wars comic that I've bought in a few years.

I enjoyed getting to know the lead character, Ania Solo, Han and Leia's descendant.

I look forward to more.
Favorite books: Black Hammer, Bloodshot, Divinity, Justice League Dark, Marvel Two-In-One, Thor.

Brother Darque
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Brother Darque »

Secret Avengers by Nick Spencer.

it's quite good.

and it has Agent Coulson!

Image[/URL]

erwinrafael
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Favorite character: Aram
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Pere Perez

Post by erwinrafael »

For this week, got Hawkeye, Archer and Armstrong, Harbinger, Uncanny X-Men, Uncanny Avengers and Avengers. NOT ONE BAD BOOK in the bunch. :)

Hawkeye...what an ending. That is how you write a death. I was almost moved to tears.

caniac

Post by caniac »

erwinrafael wrote:For this week, got Hawkeye, Archer and Armstrong, Harbinger, Uncanny X-Men, Uncanny Avengers and Avengers. NOT ONE BAD BOOK in the bunch. :)

Hawkeye...what an ending. That is how you write a death. I was almost moved to tears.
Thanks for the spoiler :|

caniac

Post by caniac »

Saga 12 OMG. It is my favorite book out right now.

nscc
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite title: X-O/Harby/A+A/Unity
Favorite writer: Vditti/Dysart/FVL/Kindt
Favorite artist: soo many pretty pictures...

Post by nscc »

After hearing about it on OTV recently, I read Old man Logan, and am so glad I did. Such a shocker! WOW! I haven't read much else wolverine in about 20 years but this was better than most of what I remembered. I also loved the idea of the world itself. It could really make a great campaign setting for a role playing game. A great story with a huge kick in the *SQUEE* of a shock!
Where are we going and why am I in this hand-basket?

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

I'm re-reading Ex machina in TPBs right now. I love the faces in this book.

Lightning Strike

Elveen wrote:I'm re-reading Ex machina in TPBs right now. I love the faces in this book.

I tried reading this series about six months ago for the second time and while it's an enjoyable read, I just don't like all the politics in the book. The art is amazing though

Lightning Strike

Finished reading Robinson's Batman story 'Face the Face'. Very good book, highly recommend it, especially if you're a Batman fan.