XO Manowar #16 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
XO Manowar #16 Discussion

Post by BugsySig »

Great issue. It wraps up the EW story for now, but leaves us with plenty to digest for the next issue.

Gilad has a heart to heart in the past and present with Aric, and realizes he is not the man he wishes him to be. His fear of what Aric will do with the armor is what will lead to his inclusion in Unity. Gilad alludes to this alliance already.

Alexander also makes a reappearance and is now associated with Neville Alcott :hm:
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

hunter_peterson
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Kris Hathaway
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Re: XO Manowar #16 Discussion

Post by hunter_peterson »

I KNOW that you're thinking "maybe this will lead to Secret Weapons!" :P

Which would be completely awesome! This was a solid issue. The character interaction was mostly really good; the new love interest still seems a bit from nowhere to me, but it was competently done. (I know she's appeared in the last four issues or so, but there seems to be little between them except for their ancestry/alien history... I would rather something be built more slowly.) The reaction of the MARO head to what the Visigoths are doing was funny and fitting. I'm keen to see more of her.

Bringing it back to Secret Weapons possibly emerging here from Alcott and Dorian's teaming up, I think it would be cool if the Armorines emerged from MARO, which we know was looting the debris belt. It would show two very different approaches to the same problem/opportunity and could dovetail nicely. I just hope Ninjak is still the Q for the Secret Weapons, because that was always cool.

But yeah, solid four star issue. Great teases of the war to come!

EDIT: Oh, and I'd like to add that I love the "wise old man" take on Eternal Warrior and hope that becomes the dominant one. Unstoppable badass on a rampage worked well in A&A, but he seems to flourish more in this light. It'll be interesting to see the three brothers together down the line when they're all established in the present.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

I, too, enjoy this take on Gilad much better.

And it seems like Armorines have to be just around the corner, doesn't it?

tchalla8
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by tchalla8 »

BugsySig wrote:I, too, enjoy this take on Gilad much better.

why do you say that?
Spooooon!!!!

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

tchalla8 wrote:
BugsySig wrote:I, too, enjoy this take on Gilad much better.

why do you say that?
It just seems like an appropriate response. Someone has a tank, you build a tank. Someone creates an atomic bomb, you create an atomic bomb. Guy shows up with an indestructible suit of armor...

bygranddesign
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek

Post by bygranddesign »

Solid issue (7/10)

Nice dialogue ... good art

I like the back and forth between Gilad and Aric

But.... its not a very challenging read. Not many surprises. Stuff happens as you would think it would go
Ha! Yeah! Nice! Any of those dudes in your head mosh?! - Flamingo

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

bygranddesign wrote:Solid issue (7/10)

Nice dialogue ... good art

I like the back and forth between Gilad and Aric

But.... its not a very challenging read. Not many surprises. Stuff happens as you would think it would go
Definitely a set up or "bridge" issue, but that's expected with the second issue in a story arc. I liked that even though this is part of a larger arc, and leads into Unity, that the two issues are almost self contained.

vaevictis
My posts can all fit in a short box
Favorite character: Phil Seleski

Post by vaevictis »

Loved the issue. Aric has grown a bit but still has much to learn. He relies too much on power. You definitely see the beginnings of UNITY with this issue. Gilad let Aric know what his actions are about to bring upon him and the refugees.
Vae Victis - Woe to the Conquered!

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by pixierosa »

This was a nice read. Good insight into their personalities. Aric continues to behave as a Visigoth version of Torque. I love the lesson he got when he trampled the crown, and despite his unwillingness to listen to Gilad, he does at least question what he has done when talking with his new woman. (Yeah, I'm really believing he got over Deidre so quickly after all that he did to try to reunite with her. A little mourning would have been nice, but I'm a hopeless romantic apparently. Meh.) Unfortunately, while he questions if it was the right thing to do to bring the Visigoths to earth, he never questions HOW he is staking a claim. He has become the Roman. I hope that he sees this in time. Hopefully not too many will die before he finally learns this lesson.

This version of Gilad was a breath of fresh air. Intelligent, not so brash. I enjoyed the flashback scenes as well as the "current" interactions.

Was wondering when Neville would pop back up. Not surprised at all to see he is now affiliated with Alexander, given that Ninjak had already reached out to Neville and he was working with Ninjak to prevent a Vine invasion. I have a hypothesis regarding aliens, Neville and future Unity arcs.
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

pixierosa wrote:This was a nice read. Good insight into their personalities. Aric continues to behave as a Visigoth version of Torque. I love the lesson he got when he trampled the crown, and despite his unwillingness to listen to Gilad, he does at least question what he has done when talking with his new woman. (Yeah, I'm really believing he got over Deidre so quickly after all that he did to try to reunite with her. A little mourning would have been nice, but I'm a hopeless romantic apparently. Meh.) Unfortunately, while he questions if it was the right thing to do to bring the Visigoths to earth, he never questions HOW he is staking a claim. He has become the Roman. I hope that he sees this in time. Hopefully not too many will die before he finally learns this lesson.

This version of Gilad was a breath of fresh air. Intelligent, not so brash. I enjoyed the flashback scenes as well as the "current" interactions.

Was wondering when Neville would pop back up. Not surprised at all to see he is now affiliated with Alexander, given that Ninjak had already reached out to Neville and he was working with Ninjak to prevent a Vine invasion. I have a hypothesis regarding aliens, Neville and future Unity arcs.
I'm with you on the alien angle :thumb:

And remember, Aric was on that Vine ship for a number of years. He may have already moved on in many ways even though he held out hope of reuniting.

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by pixierosa »

BugsySig wrote:
And remember, Aric was on that Vine ship for a number of years. He may have already moved on in many ways even though he held out hope of reuniting.
True, but once on earth, his quiet time memory was of his wife trimming his hair. Until he gained the armor, I don't think he really considered her gone.

It makes sense to give him a potential love interest, though. He's both simple and complex. He will fight for the Visigoth people, but he will fight even harder for family. She will either be an impetus for change (let's hope) or for extreme action.
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

Bone-A-Fach-ee
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: '92
Favorite character: Tony Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger/Imperium
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

First of all, Lee Garbett is a beast! The art in this issue is incredible! I love the panel of just Gilad's scars and eyes appearing in the dark behind his sword. Very Thundercats, but appropriate and awesome!
Was very cool with the dialogue in this one. Agree with everyone, that this wiser, less rampagy Gilad was really cool to see. This is the seasoned leader type that we all remember from VH1.
I'm cool with him sleeping with that girl. She's been by his side the whole time! Plus, she probably reminds him of Diedre and when you're going through heavy stuff like they are, you need to connect to someone, not isolate.
Not positive that Alexander is affiliated with Neville. Sure, he says he's an acquaintance, but he could have just said that to name drop, and be heard.

For me, these were the best two issues of X-O, since the Ninjak arc. And yes, Lee Garbett drew those too. I'd be thrilled to see him full time on this book, or any other Valiant book. Him and Clayton Henry are really two of my favorite current artists!

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

Glade rode side by side with king aleric as he sacked rome I bet if we look at that image we will see glade beside him. Very good issue loved it alot 5/5 or 10/10 what ev
I Miss the good old days.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

So once again, a very solid issue from X-O Manowar. However, once again, not any better or worse than the last issue. X-O just isn't improving like I see all of the other titles doing. As such, I keep having less and less interest. It's sad that EW was the best part of this, and Ninjak was the best part of that arc, and that I'm much more interested in seeing what Alexander does in the coming issues, rather than being connected and interested in Aric.

I liked VH1 Aric. He was a barbarian and bull-headed, but he was funny and likable. I rooted for him throughout all of the issues of X-O. I really dislike the current Aric. However, I think this may be Venditti's intention. I'm really looking forward to Harada kicking his *SQUEE* in Unity. (Which is really weird, because I hate Harada). I really hope this Unity fiasco results in a more likable Aric.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Paradigm38

Post by Paradigm38 »

Getting much better, there is more depth to Aric and the storyline is not as compressed. "I am old, but still a child".

Zaphod
Zaphod's just this guy, you know?
Favorite character: VH1 - Armstrong
Favorite title: VEI - Harbinger

Post by Zaphod »

BugsySig wrote:
pixierosa wrote:This was a nice read. Good insight into their personalities. Aric continues to behave as a Visigoth version of Torque. I love the lesson he got when he trampled the crown, and despite his unwillingness to listen to Gilad, he does at least question what he has done when talking with his new woman. (Yeah, I'm really believing he got over Deidre so quickly after all that he did to try to reunite with her. A little mourning would have been nice, but I'm a hopeless romantic apparently. Meh.) Unfortunately, while he questions if it was the right thing to do to bring the Visigoths to earth, he never questions HOW he is staking a claim. He has become the Roman. I hope that he sees this in time. Hopefully not too many will die before he finally learns this lesson.

I'm with you on the alien angle :thumb:

not to mention the battle for Loam might have only been a few issues for us, but lets not presume that the amount of time it actually took was the short bit of panels we saw. They haven't used the "passage of time" prompts as Valiant's previous incarnation did but that doesn't meant it isn't happening.

loved this issue. might be my favorite from this title so far. It's a bridge issue but what a bridge of character development it was.

5/5
What we need is innovation and even revolution—but not so much in the form of marketing ploys and doohickeys. What is needed is bold creative vision, excellent stories, and brilliant storytelling, in a word, entertainment. -- Jim Shooter

Zaphod
Favorite character: VH1 - Armstrong
Favorite title: VEI - Harbinger

Post by Zaphod »

lorddunlow wrote:So once again, a very solid issue from X-O Manowar. However, once again, not any better or worse than the last issue. X-O just isn't improving like I see all of the other titles doing. As such, I keep having less and less interest. It's sad that EW was the best part of this, and Ninjak was the best part of that arc, and that I'm much more interested in seeing what Alexander does in the coming issues, rather than being connected and interested in Aric.

I liked VH1 Aric. He was a barbarian and bull-headed, but he was funny and likable. I rooted for him throughout all of the issues of X-O. I really dislike the current Aric. However, I think this may be Venditti's intention. I'm really looking forward to Harada kicking his *SQUEE* in Unity. (Which is really weird, because I hate Harada). I really hope this Unity fiasco results in a more likable Aric.
I can understand where you are coming from but consider this, how much growth did VH1 Aric truly have? This Aric has a lot of learning to do. I also like this Aric, he's bullheaded sure but was a highborn in his tribe. He understood the pressures of having to make tough decisions, he disagreed with his uncle's tactics constantly. He is the epitome of "might means right" and the board is being set to truly challenge him on that front, since The Vine didn't get that job done.
What we need is innovation and even revolution—but not so much in the form of marketing ploys and doohickeys. What is needed is bold creative vision, excellent stories, and brilliant storytelling, in a word, entertainment. -- Jim Shooter

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

Frankly, I am stunned at the lack of discussion so far on the issue. So far, my favorite of the X-O run. A ton of character development - both in Aric and Gilad - and contrasted both character strengths and weaknesses - both in personal philosophies and in strength and battle. I also liked the parallels of story - and the beginning with the flashback. In a lot of ways, it felt like the old Eternal Warrior storylines.

Of course Aric wins the battle, but the end had that Shawshank Redemption feel. The end was both predictable - and unknowable - until it happened. That gave it a beautiful finality of the story.

As for the 'expediency' of Aric's new love... I don't see it at all. Aric is bound by a few things, and while his own 'true' love is gone - the two are also bonding over a mutual loss. I think that if I were ever to lose my own wife, the only person I could probably find happiness with again is another person who shared a similar emptiness.

The last two pages have a measured lightness to them - and very funny with the 100%. Of course the last panel shocker is great, too.

Loved it.
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

tchalla8
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by tchalla8 »

This also could be a notable issue for the first appearance of Sven :D
Spooooon!!!!

SJS4
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by SJS4 »

tchalla8 wrote:This also could be a notable issue for the first appearance of Sven :D
He appeared last issue i believe...

I really enjoyed the issue. I am curious to see where the story goes, although clearly it is a lead up to Unity...just not sure what Unity is going to be.

Garbett's art remains top notch and I am digging Venditti's storytelling. Aric isn't the most sympathetic character but i find him compelling nonetheless. Really liked the characterization of Gilad as well.
Kurt Busiek wrote: Bull$#!t

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

I've thoroughly enjoyed the last two issues. During the Planet Death arc this was the one of the series in my opinion that wasn't better than the original, but as this arc is bringing a lot of my excitement back to the series. While I loved the original Aric, this new Aric is a very believable character and I enjoy seeing him as a troubled, hard headed character.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

lorddunlow wrote: I really dislike the current Aric.
I don't have much to add, thought it was great issue. I like this Gilad better than the AA version as well.

But I'm kinda with Dunlow here: Aric is an unreasoning arsehat that needs a good beat down. It'll be refreshing if we ever see him stop acting like a bull in a china shop and think for two minutes.

But waiting for his personal growth makes the book interesting, I suppose.

Great issue!

FormerReader

Post by FormerReader »

jmatt wrote:
lorddunlow wrote: I really dislike the current Aric.
Aric is an unreasoning arsehat that needs a good beat down. It'll be refreshing if we ever see him stop acting like a bull in a china shop and think for two minutes.

Great issue!
Why should he act in any other way though? I get why someone would dislike him, but why would he change? He was head strong before he had the armor. Now he has the most powerful weapon known and he is angry at what happened to him and his people. Why would he do anything, but become even more unreasonable?

Blood of Heroes
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.

Post by Blood of Heroes »

FormerReader wrote:Why would he do anything, but become even more unreasonable?
Are you talking about how I get when I've been drinking???

Peter
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Favorite character: Gilad Anni-Padda
Favorite title: Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by Peter »

A very nice issue that explores Aric's and Gilad's past relationship.

It was nice to see Gilad's expression when Aric told him what had happened to him since they had last met. Up until that point Gilad was all, I'm the all knowing teacher, but Aric's revelation did throw him off a bit, perhaps Gilad's was hoping to size him up and discover a weakness.

These last two issues have really opened up a previously unknown history between Aric and Gilad which I have been thrilled to read.

I feel sorry for Aric though, his little ray of love with Saana may be very short lived as I feel Gilad's earlier words regarding the worse fear, is that of losing everyone around you, maybe turn out to be prophetic.

This is going to be big.