Do you think Dark Horse will renew its Turok+Magnus license?

The "Gold Key Three" from publications outside of the Valiant universe.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Baramos
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Do you think Dark Horse will renew its Turok+Magnus license?

Post by Baramos »

I have no idea how long those options last, does anyone have an idea of how many years a comics company gets in the usual contract?

I actually enjoyed their Turok: Son of Stone (even if I had to wait six months in between issues) but since it was such a spectacular failure and with nothing further forthcoming on that front or Magnus (or Dr. Solar), do you think they'll pick them back up again in the future or let them drop? Might this pave the way for Valiant to get the license, then? That would be great. I was a big fan of the original Valiant universe's Turok, even if many other people weren't into it, so I'd love to see him come back to the new Valiant universe.

EDIT: Actually a look at the Dark Horse website reveals that Dr. Solar actually has managed to make it to 8 issues now? Weird. That was easily the worst of the three they were doing, at least from the first couple of issues I read.
Last edited by Baramos on Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:42:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brother Darque
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Re: Do you think Dark Horse will renew its Turok+Magnus lice

Post by Brother Darque »

i'd like to see dark horse give them another shot, this time with each series having it's own writers.

Baramos

Post by Baramos »

Brother Darque wrote:i'd like to see dark horse give them another shot, this time with each series having it's own writers.
Oh, yeah, as much as I like Jim Shooter he's apparently the reason they didn't produce them at the rate they needed to be produced, and giving three comics to one guy is a bad idea, anyway. I wouldn't let Jim Shooter near more than one of them if Valiant were able to get him on board in some fashion with them...

MoonChild
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: BloodShot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by MoonChild »

Yea, three titles is quite an undertaking, especially because you know he wanted them to be good. I'd love to see them back, especially back with the rest of Valiant but if not, a DK run would be cool. I really enjoyed Shooters runs, the art was horrible at the end but the writing was really heating up in all books. I keep my Dark-Key Books in the same box as my VEI books. :D
Click the Sig, Hear Something Different!
http://www.reverbnation.com/lexmoon
Also, Check my reverbnation page^

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

I finished out my Dark Key collection - and probably have mixed feelings on them all.

I was more of a SOLAR fan - and thought Magnus was dreck.

But letting the rights just sit is the worst possible move. Stupid and selfish.
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Dark Horse is putting out a Brain Boy story in upcoming issues of Dark Horse Presents. Brain Boy was a Dell character alongside Magnus, Solar and Turok so I suspect the license is still active.

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Chiclo wrote:Dark Horse is putting out a Brain Boy story in upcoming issues of Dark Horse Presents. Brain Boy was a Dell character alongside Magnus, Solar and Turok so I suspect the license is still active.
He was Dell, but never part of Gold Key/Golden Books. Different liscence.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

SJS4
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by SJS4 »

Such a shame DH didn't stick with these titles. I thought Solar was getting very good with the second arc.
Kurt Busiek wrote: Bull$#!t

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

I only read the Solar series, which seemed mostly a poor re-hash of VH1 concepts that haven't held up over time. I've got the Turok mini, which I'll get around to reading some day.

With Dark Horse losing the Star Wars franchise, you'd think they'd like to do something with the licenses that they hold. But I'm nto sure that Shooter is the right person for it.

So, Dream Team time: what creative teams do you want to see on the Gold Key characters?
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

kjjohanson wrote:I only read the Solar series, which seemed mostly a poor re-hash of VH1 concepts that haven't held up over time. I've got the Turok mini, which I'll get around to reading some day.

With Dark Horse losing the Star Wars franchise, you'd think they'd like to do something with the licenses that they hold. But I'm nto sure that Shooter is the right person for it.

So, Dream Team time: what creative teams do you want to see on the Gold Key characters?
Jeph Loeb and Rob Liefeld to ensure a even more spectacular failure than the first time around.

From what I heard of the story, Shooter pulled a total d!ck move on VEI and I'm glad he failed.

If VEI doesn't have them, these characters are cursed as far as I'm concerned.

Full on JINX to anybody other than VEI who tries to make a go of these characters!

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

I liked all the dh gk titles. Least of all Magnus but I was starting to like that one to.
Last book of Turok the art sucked. Sampson I didnt think I would like, but loved it in the end.
After dh non communication I have it out for them I hope anyother company takes over the titles.
If dh re does them all then I will suport Turok.
Someone should email dream works and enquire?
My dk book are stored; full set of valiant turok then it goes into the rest of the dk books.
And all the signed stuff in another area in a lock box with all the rest of my super tresures.
I really think valiant should introduce them in wave 2
Personally I dont think dream works wants to lend out the rights.
I Miss the good old days.

Savant
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Savant »

Baramos wrote:I have no idea how long those options last, does anyone have an idea of how many years a comics company gets in the usual contract?

I actually enjoyed their Turok: Son of Stone (even if I had to wait six months in between issues) but since it was such a spectacular failure and with nothing further forthcoming on that front or Magnus (or Dr. Solar), do you think they'll pick them back up again in the future or let them drop? Might this pave the way for Valiant to get the license, then? That would be great. I was a big fan of the original Valiant universe's Turok, even if many other people weren't into it, so I'd love to see him come back to the new Valiant universe.

EDIT: Actually a look at the Dark Horse website reveals that Dr. Solar actually has managed to make it to 8 issues now? Weird. That was easily the worst of the three they were doing, at least from the first couple of issues I read.
I'm in agreement with nonplayer about Turok......The last issue had HORRIBLE artwork by a fill-in artist. Kind of ruined the entire 4-issue storyline for me.

As for Solar, you should've acquired issues 5-8. They were actually pretty good.

Magnus & Samson.....I didn't think I'd like either title, but both were enjoyable.

Thedinosaur
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite character: Turok
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by Thedinosaur »

I had heard the Dark Horse had lost the rights to the Dell Gold Key characters. That it wasn't just Shooter as the problem, Random House had wanted an increasing amount of control on the characters.

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Those rumors have been floating around for quite some time, but no one seems to be able to confirm them yet.

vikingspawn
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by vikingspawn »

Chiclo wrote:Dark Horse is putting out a Brain Boy story in upcoming issues of Dark Horse Presents. Brain Boy was a Dell character alongside Magnus, Solar and Turok so I suspect the license is still active.
Now "Brain Boy" gets an monthly title:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=45942" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:hm:

MoonChild

Post by MoonChild »

Brain Boy #1

Fred Van Lente (W), R. B. Silva (P), Rob Lean (I), Ego (C), Ariel Olivetti (Cover), and Juan Doe (Variant cover)

On sale Sept 18

FC, 32 pages

$2.99

Ongoing

Interesting!

vikingspawn

Post by vikingspawn »

Maybe their move is starting up the rebooted CGW and other new Superheroes again in their line this year....and then bring back a round two of the GK4 characters later on. Who knows. There's no reason to leave those magnus/solar characters dormant if they still have the rights.

The Dirt Gang
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Unity #1
Favorite writer: Shooter/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by The Dirt Gang »

vikingspawn wrote:Maybe their move is starting up the rebooted CGW and other new Superheroes again in their line this year....and then bring back a round two of the GK4 characters later on. Who knows. There's no reason to leave those magnus/solar characters dormant if they still have the rights.
I wonder if they would consider tying these to universes together. I've not read Joe Casey's recent stuff but always liked his stuff in the past. His WildCats run is one of my all time favorites. I'd be interested in seeing what he did with Gold Key properties.

I started ready the Dark Key line but really wasn't digging it and dropped it after a couple of issues (although recently I've been debating picking up what I missed). I love Shooterverses but wonder if he's not better off with a roundtable approach like he started off with at Valiant and I believe he had at Defiant and Broadway. Valiant for me was his best but I really enjoyed the stories and concepts in Defiant and Broadway (granted I've not read either in a long time). I still enjoy the concepts but maybe they wouldn't read as well.
Multum In Parvo

vikingspawn

Post by vikingspawn »

There's a solicited Magnus reprint book for November this year. Maybe that's their way of keeping the license active again.

http://www.darkhorse.com/Books/16-884/M ... lume-2-TPB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

vikingspawn wrote:There's a solicited Magnus reprint book for November this year. Maybe that's their way of keeping the license active again.

http://www.darkhorse.com/Books/16-884/M ... lume-2-TPB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good eye. Thanks for the info.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

vikingspawn

Post by vikingspawn »

There's a Solar trade solicited for Jan. 5th 2014:

http://www.newsarama.com/18670-dark-hor ... tions.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I predict they'll re-introduce the GK characters again next year for their relaunched superhero line. They can always pick up the thread from the Shooter books with that never explained "time storm" vortex thing that appeared in the Turok and Solar books to bring back those characters from the different eras.

MoonChild

Post by MoonChild »

It Says Forward By Jim Shooter! :clap: :hope:
vikingspawn wrote:There's a Solar trade solicited for Jan. 5th 2014:

http://www.newsarama.com/18670-dark-hor ... tions.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I predict they'll re-introduce the GK characters again next year for their relaunched superhero line. They can always pick up the thread from the Shooter books with that never explained "time storm" vortex thing that appeared in the Turok and Solar books to bring back those characters from the different eras.

The Dirt Gang
Valiant fan since: VH1 Unity #1
Favorite writer: Shooter/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by The Dirt Gang »

vikingspawn wrote: I predict they'll re-introduce the GK characters again next year for their relaunched superhero line.
I posted the follow in another thread:
The Dirt Gang wrote:Not sure if this is the best place to post this but in this interview (http://multiversitycomics.com/podcasts/ ... joe-casey/) with Joe Casey about Catalyst Comics he mentions that he initial went to Dark Horse about some other properties they had and it didn't work out but led to him doing Catalyst Comics. Got me thinking I wonder if Casey was interested in the Gold Key properties? :hm: I'd love to see what he would do with those characters.
I'd be totally on board with Joe Casey doing the GK properties.
Multum In Parvo