Archer & Armstrong #12 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Keith
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL
Archer & Armstrong #12 Discussion

Post by Keith »

Holy *SQUEE*-snacks... I think I just soiled myself.

We already knew this arc was amazing, I had no idea this issue would crank it up to 11!!

Ivar Anni-Padda for the win!!!!!!!!!! And he is dropping some major reveals about the future. The love of Archer's life??? (And it ain't who you think it is!) Archer kills a major Valiant character someday??? And a potential Quantum & Woody crossover??

This issue was amazing from start to finish. I know it's early, but I think we have our best book of the month here, and another strong contender for most important issue of a Valiant Comic to date!!!
Last edited by Keith on Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:02:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

Blood of Heroes
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.
Re: Archer & Armstrong #12 Discussion

Post by Blood of Heroes »

Excellent book from start to finish. It was also quite the Rai 0 book as well. :thumb:

hunter_peterson
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Kris Hathaway
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by hunter_peterson »

Great issue! Loved the future teases. And pretty much all the characters were spot on with great interactions. And I'd pretty much figured Mary-Maria and Armstrong would start a thing... which is next issue, probably. It's the move that most throws a wrench in the A&A dynamic while still having an accurate title. Be reaaaaaaally interesting to see how this plays out in the Sect War arc.

And Ivar! That was expected, yet fully awesome in how it happened. And he seems a lot more Doctor Who-ish after his imprisonment, which is great! I fully look forward to literally everything this issue promised for the future.

Also, the grey-swearing was BRILLIANT! :D

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Keith wrote:Holy *SQUEE*... I think I just soiled myself.

We already knew this arc was amazing, I had no idea this issue would crank it up to 11!!

Ivar Anni-Padda for the win!!!!!!!!!! And he is dropping some major reveals about the future. The love of Archer's life??? (And it ain't who you think it is!) Archer kills a major Valiant character someday??? And a potential Quantum & Woody crossover??

This issue was amazing from start to finish. I know it's early, but I think we have our best book of the month here, and another strong contender for most important issue of a Valiant Comic to date!!!
That scene with Ivar had me laughing out loud! A little bit of a change from VH1 when it comes to the love of Archer's life :hm:

And don't forget the "Sentient Cities" and the "Fourth Harbinger War"!

And the last page reveal :o Not what I was expecting at all :lol:

Also...what the *SQUEE* was up with that Skymother? Was that one of the inhabitants of Lyceum from Shadowman? :hm:
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by pixierosa »

BugsySig wrote:

That scene with Ivar had me laughing out loud! A little bit of a change from VH1 when it comes to the love of Archer's life :hm:

Also...what the *SQUEE* was up with that Skymother? Was that one of the inhabitants of Lyceum from Shadowman? :hm:
bah bah bah bah bah bah....

Amazing issue. The reveals! Also great interaction between characters.

Bugsy - my 1st thought was Lyceum bc that's the only book not really mentioned, BUT if I remember correctly, those folks had wings on their backs and didn't have tail-like appendages. This skeleton definitely has a shortened upper arm and extended lower arm as if they were wings (rather than wings on the back) and the spine that protrudes is more like a bird's tail used for steering. Different creatures me thinks.
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

I wanted to be the first to say "RAI 0 MOMENTS" but I see I'm too late! :!:

AWESOME BOOK! :high-five:

Blood of Heroes

greg wrote:I wanted to be the first to say "RAI 0 MOMENTS" but I see I'm too late! :!:
8-)

bygranddesign
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek

Post by bygranddesign »

Wow ..what a 1-2 punch between Harbinger and A&A this week

Both were complete mind *SQUEE* - but in different ways.

Love everything about this issue - great action, great art and so much mind bending story with hints about the future that its hard to wrap your head around it. "Sentient Cities", the "4th Harbinger War" and I won't even mention the other surprises just in case someone is crazy enough to read this thread and not read this amazing comic first.

The "Sentient Cities" seems like a great hint of what 4001 timeline could look like ... its an idea that I was speculating about awhile ago and something that Dysart has hinted at when he talked about Bloodshot and his Nanites and what that could mean for the future of the Valiant universe.

9/10 - Another amazing issue and shaping up to be the best arc of the re-launch.
Ha! Yeah! Nice! Any of those dudes in your head mosh?! - Flamingo

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Holy snap!! I am mentally reeling from all that awesome sauce spilling out of one comic! Gah!!

GAH!!!

:lol:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

blujay
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 2011
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by blujay »

Solid book this week, this is probably among the top 3 strongest issues in the series. Great way to finish A&A's first year

And there's tons of teases, that drive me crazy :!:

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

pixierosa wrote:
BugsySig wrote:

bah bah bah bah bah bah....

Amazing issue. The reveals! Also great interaction between characters.

Bugsy - my 1st thought was Lyceum bc that's the only book not really mentioned, BUT if I remember correctly, those folks had wings on their backs and didn't have tail-like appendages. This skeleton definitely has a shortened upper arm and extended lower arm as if they were wings (rather than wings on the back) and the spine that protrudes is more like a bird's tail used for steering. Different creatures me thinks.
I didn't notice the tail the first time through, and you are right that the inhabitants of the Lyceum have wings on their backs...so not them. A definite mystery, though...

DrSoup007
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by DrSoup007 »

Ivar wrote:Ohh, this is before the goat
I laughed for about a minute and a half and then continued reading
"Having trouble coming up with a signature because my last one really sucked..."

swtor1091
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: May 2012
Favorite character: Flamingo
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong

Post by swtor1091 »

Do I need to re read why is this rai 0
A shameful plug to the book i am currently writing. Please like my page so when I try to publish it I already have a following... https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Blac ... 9693235948" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Blood of Heroes

swtor1091 wrote:Do I need to re read why is this rai 0
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes :|

greg

Post by greg »

OK, stuff that could be VERY important (or maybe I just want it to be): :lol:

The Greys - they are grey... yeah, so what? Bloodshot had to solve the problem with the grey goo related to the nanites. Perhaps the greys are a (future) structurally-sound version of the grey goo?

Skymother - once had wings and a tail - can talk but doesn't appear to move her mouth - should be dead... isn't.

Mary-Maria's father - from Santa Catarina (Brazil) - Mary-Maria may have some kind of psiot power (for fighting), so, it's likely she got it from daddy. So, who IS daddy?

Archer Sages - they have the "word" in the form of the notebook Mary-Maria gave Obie in A&A #1?

The Word will be threatened in at least 2,000 years - how can the word be threatened? Surely there are copies, so what does "threatened" mean?

Sentient Cities - like, say, how Japan became Grandmother in the original Valiant? "Who" are the other sentient cities?

The Hyper Sphere - a hypercube is a theoretical structure which exists in four dimensions (time) - therefore, Hyper Sphere is probably the same concept - appearing to exist in three dimensions, but having access to multiple times.

Synaptic Webbings - related to the wiring used to provide Bloodshot with memories/visions/information? Related to Rai's "Nerve Web"?

Mary-Maria falls for Armstrong - seems like him standing up to her, telling her she's a woman, and then taking out the grey ships (magnificent!) caused a little crush

Archer's interaction with the Sages already known through the notebook - so, what ELSE do they know?

Unless it is a typo, Ivar threatened the WORD with the first cataclysm (the Boon, A&A #1) - how did he threaten the WORD from outside the hypersphere?
Ivar will threaten the word again - so there is something to the order of the events, even though the hypersphere appears to connect multiple timestreams
The Sages are from a time AFTER the fourth Harbinger war - which is millenia in the future?

The Aleph (prison for Ivar) appears to be related to fractals, not sure why that's important, but it could have easily been just a sphere... it's not.
Aleph is the first letter in multiple languages - also known as "alpha" - and we've seen Ivar pretend(?) to be Jesus (Alpha and Omega).

Ivar has been trapped in the timestream "for literally forever" - in the original Valiant, Solar was involved in EVERY time - now Ivar is saying HE has been in every time (all past and all future?).

Has Ivar seen his own future outside of the prison? If he has witnessed events in the timestream, he may have seen himself (freed) doing future things.

Faith is Obadiah's FUTURE love - in the original Valiant, it was Flamingo - so in this Valiant, Faith and Obadiah end up together in something important enough for Ivar to not know about Mary-Maria and Obadiah (even though he was "there" in Tibet with both of them).

Obadiah will DESTROY Bloodshot - soon? It would seem that Ivar is putting things in "Obadiah order" for us - Ambrose Bierce, goat, destroy Bloodshot, love Faith.

Bierce - Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge (1891) - according to wiki - a story with irregular time sequences and a twist ending - Twilight Zone episode in 1964.
Did Ivar get decades of TV inside the prison? Does Ivar "access the collective knowledge" like accessing an unlimited internet of information?
Ivar says he's meeting Bierce AGAIN, so did he meet him from inside the prison (did Ivar contact Bierce like he contacted Obadiah)?
Or is Ivar saying he knows he can physically travel through time from outside the prison?

Trying to save the world - breaks Obadiah - what could break Obadiah? Something about Mary-Maria? Why didn't Ivar know about Mary-Maria? Is she about to die?

[edit, adding one] Mary-Maria has two sisters - so... why would they tell us that?

bygranddesign

Post by bygranddesign »

great job Greg breaking down all the different nuggets and plot points of this issue

excellent job researching some of the obscure stuff :o

its a lot to take in

One thing is for certain ... Ivar has increased in coolness factor and I would love to see an Ivar the Timewalker series at some point

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

bygranddesign wrote:great job Greg breaking down all the different nuggets and plot points of this issue

excellent job researching some of the obscure stuff :o

its a lot to take in

One thing is for certain ... Ivar has increased in coolness factor and I would love to see an Ivar the Timewalker series at some point
With the current popularity of Doctor Who, a time-travel comic seems like a good risk, if given to the right person.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

greg

Post by greg »

Missed one:

Mary-Maria has two sisters - so... why would they tell us that? :thumb:

bygranddesign

Post by bygranddesign »

greg wrote: Unless it is a typo, Ivar threatened the WORD with the first cataclysm (the Boon, A&A #1) - how did he threaten the WORD from outside the hypersphere?
Ivar will threaten the word again - so there is something to the order of the events, even though the hypersphere appears to connect multiple timestreams
The Sages are from a time AFTER the fourth Harbinger war - which is millenia in the future?
Has Ivar seen his own future outside of the prison? If he has witnessed events in the timestream, he may have seen himself (freed) doing future things.
Did Ivar get decades of TV inside the prison? Does Ivar "access the collective knowledge" like accessing an unlimited internet of information?
Ivar says he's meeting Bierce AGAIN, so did he meet him from inside the prison (did Ivar contact Bierce like he contacted Obadiah)?
Or is Ivar saying he knows he can physically travel through time from outside the prison?
hmmm... Are you thinking he only experiences time travel because of the prison?

I was thinking that the Anni-Padda's all were given "gifts" after the Boon explosion - and Ivar gained the power of Time Travel. And perhaps the prison comes much later after hundreds? thousands? of years of him time traveling

This prison would have been created specifically for him (a time traveler) - It trapped him in the time stream - so he can experience things but can't change anything or leave the stream.

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by pixierosa »

greg wrote:OK, stuff that could be VERY important (or maybe I just want it to be): :lol:

The Greys - they are grey... yeah, so what? Bloodshot had to solve the problem with the grey goo related to the nanites. Perhaps the greys are a (future) structurally-sound version of the grey goo?
Weren't the Greys supposed to be the future evolution of humans? Could be some goo/human combo, what with them not having as strong as an exoskeleton as we do. Weird how they all look alike - no perceivable differences for gender, age, scars, etc. Iknow that scientists are saying that red head genes will become extinct, but this homogenization is a bit extreme. Think they live in sentient cities?

Skymother - I have no idea what to make of her beyond the veil of death abilities.
greg wrote:Mary-Maria's father - So, who IS daddy?
And I wonder about her sisters. Any powers? If Mary-Maria and her father have psiot abilities - who activated them? If PRS activation requires torture, etc - then why doesn't Obie remember any of this? Psiot mind wipe? Couldn't he access this information (at least about primitive activation) via the Akashic record?
greg wrote:Archer Sages - they have the "word" in the form of the notebook Mary-Maria gave Obie in A&A #1?
Makes the most sense. I've been missing the whole journal aspect in the story.
greg wrote: The Word will be threatened in at least 2,000 years - how can the word be threatened? Surely there are copies, so what does "threatened" mean?
Someone will threaten to reset the universe again ala the boon - wipe out all life and knowledge.
greg wrote:Sentient Cities - like, say, how Japan became Grandmother in the original Valiant?
That's my guess. Hello, Rai!!!
greg wrote: Mary-Maria falls for Armstrong - seems like him standing up to her, telling her she's a woman, and then taking out the grey ships (magnificent!) caused a little crush
How much of this is actually Mary Maria and not her "mother"? Although I think she is inclined to be impressed by power - after all, amidst all the talented fighters in her "family" - she picked Obie, the best fighter for her crush.
greg wrote:Faith is Obadiah's FUTURE love - in the original Valiant, it was Flamingo - so in this Valiant, Faith and Obadiah end up together in something important enough for Ivar to not know about Mary-Maria and Obadiah (even though he was "there" in Tibet with both of them).
This doesn't necessarily mean that he doesn't know about Mary-Marie, just that in the future, Faith is his true love/destiny. Ivar is probably aware that in the grand scheme of things, MM is just a blip, regardless of if she lives or dies soon. Not to mention, having your crush sharing a mental space with your evil parents is a total cold shower. :D

greg wrote: Trying to save the world - breaks Obadiah - what could break Obadiah? Something about Mary-Maria? Why didn't Ivar know about Mary-Maria? Is she about to die?
Possibly. But it didn't break him the first time around. Possibly he will need to kill someone in battle that he doesn't want to kill (maybe even MM). Or his religious faith could be shaken. That's one thing, despite his parents' treachery, that he hasn't lost and which is a big part of his makeup.

Also, it seems like just about every other book that Valiant has was given the Rai 0 teaser nod EXCEPT Shadowman (or did I just miss it?). Unless Skymother is from Deadside or some other realm. She's built like a Quetzalcoatlus (flying pterasaur). Interestingly, as I was googling to make sure I spelled that correctly, I came upon this creature, which is similar in physiology to Skymother:

Quetzalcóatl, (from Nahuatl quetzalli, “tail feather of the quetzal bird [Pharomachrus mocinno],” and coatl, “snake”), the Feathered Serpent, one of the major deities of the ancient Mexican pantheon.

:hm:

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

bygranddesign wrote:
greg wrote: Unless it is a typo, Ivar threatened the WORD with the first cataclysm (the Boon, A&A #1) - how did he threaten the WORD from outside the hypersphere?
hmmm... Are you thinking he only experiences time travel because of the prison?

I was thinking that the Anni-Padda's all were given "gifts" after the Boon explosion - and Ivar gained the power of Time Travel. And perhaps the prison comes much later after hundreds? thousands? of years of him time traveling

This prison would have been created specifically for him (a time traveler) - It trapped him in the time stream - so he can experience things but can't change anything or leave the stream.
You bring up some major points that needs to be addressed: Was Ivar traveling the time stream before he was imprisoned, during his imprisonment, or will he travel through time now that he's been freed? Was he actually traveling through time inside the prison, or simply able to access/observe all of the time stream? When he speaks to Obie in issue #4 he says he's been traveling through time trying to atone for activating the Boon the first time...but where (or when) was this Ivar from?

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by pixierosa »

BugsySig wrote:
You bring up some major points that needs to be addressed: Was Ivar traveling the time stream before he was imprisoned, during his imprisonment, or will he travel through time now that he's been freed? Was he actually traveling through time inside the prison, or simply able to access/observe all of the time stream? When he speaks to Obie in issue #4 he says he's been traveling through time trying to atone for activating the Boon the first time...but where (or when) was this Ivar from?
Exactly what I was wondering. And was it just me, or does this version of Ivar seem more playful in personality?

In other news, based on my previous, comment, I am a huge nerd. Or maybe that's just news to me. :oops:

bygranddesign

Post by bygranddesign »

pixierosa wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
Exactly what I was wondering. And was it just me, or does this version of Ivar seem more playful in personality?

In other news, based on my previous, comment, I am a huge nerd. Or maybe that's just news to me. :oops:
Yeah, we definitely have seen some changes in personality from Ivar ... In the beginning (issue 0) bossy, conceited... Then in his meeting with Obie the first time he seemed God-like and distant .... Now he seems more personable and playful. Got to love the fist bump :lol:

I'm guessing he was doing his time travel thing when he met up with Obie the first time (and not in a prison)... Maybe it was early in his time travel adventures ..

Maybe as time has gone on and/or maybe the prison changed him ... He was stuck in there forever like he said .. Experiencing everything all at once ... That probably changes a persons perspective

IanAlexavier
Valiant. Back to basics.
Valiant. Back to basics.
Location: SE Michigan, 21 bound books done.. many more to go...

Post by IanAlexavier »

greg wrote:Missed one:

Mary-Maria has two sisters - so... why would they tell us that? :thumb:

Three as in Trinity Angels??? :o

Zaphod
Zaphod's just this guy, you know?
Zaphod's just this guy, you know?
Favorite character: VH1 - Armstrong
Favorite title: VEI - Harbinger

Post by Zaphod »

FVL seems to have finally gotten the voices of the characters to work, I enjoyed the issue, this arc over-all has been a vast improvement. In particular Obie's debate with his future followers.
What we need is innovation and even revolution—but not so much in the form of marketing ploys and doohickeys. What is needed is bold creative vision, excellent stories, and brilliant storytelling, in a word, entertainment. -- Jim Shooter