Re-reading Sandman.

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
Re: Re-reading Sandman.

Post by lorddunlow »

Sandman. Best story ever. Best characters ever.

I really need to get the Absolute Editions. I have the entire run in floppies, many of which are multi-signed by the creative teams. I also have all of the first print hardcovers (which is how I read them initially).

My favorite arc by far is Brief Lives. The scene with Morpheus on the couch after killing Orpheus is my favorite panel ever. I tried to buy the original art off of Jill Thompson and she told me it was the only piece she kept for herself out of the whole run. I actually had her sign that page of my HC.

Hob Gatlinburg is my favorite supporting character and favorite Endless is either Death or Delirium (depends on my mood). I actually am not fond of Dream at all - bit of a tool, and a downer to boot.

World's End and Season of Mists are the two arcs I've read the most, as they read the best individually. They're also the first Sandman books I read (in the above order).

My wife bought me Absolute Death for my birthday this year. Would love the Sandman books!

I could go on all day long about Sandman, so I'll shut up now.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Lightning Strike
Silent from '04 to '07, then he strikes!
Silent from '04 to '07, then he strikes!

Post by Lightning Strike »

lorddunlow wrote:Sandman. Best story ever. Best characters ever.

I really need to get the Absolute Editions. I have the entire run in floppies, many of which are multi-signed by the creative teams. I also have all of the first print hardcovers (which is how I read them initially).
I had the Absolute Editions and as beautiful as the new coloring is, the books are extremely massive. It's so hard to read them. I would stick with the floppies.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

I bought the full run for $150 a few years ago. I've read the first few issues, but I've been saving it for when I have time to really enjoy it thoroughly. I can't wait.

Steve

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

nycjadie wrote:I bought the full run for $150 a few years ago. I've read the first few issues, but I've been saving it for when I have time to really enjoy it thoroughly. I can't wait.

Steve
Start now.
I just read calliope and the cat dream story. Great stand alone books. Up next in the tpb is the midsummer night dream one, I remember it being my least favorite part if the entire run, I wonder how it will read tonight.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Elveen wrote:
nycjadie wrote:I bought the full run for $150 a few years ago. I've read the first few issues, but I've been saving it for when I have time to really enjoy it thoroughly. I can't wait.

Steve
Start now.
I just read calliope and the cat dream story. Great stand alone books. Up next in the tpb is the midsummer night dream one, I remember it being my least favorite part if the entire run, I wonder how it will read tonight.
Calliope is one of the best single issues in the series. I'm not crazy about the cat issue.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

lorddunlow wrote:
Elveen wrote:

Steve
Start now.
Calliope is one of the best single issues in the series. I'm not crazy about the cat issue.

The cat book was a bit obvious, but I liked the way NG did it.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

I find a show on Amazon Instant Video called 92Y: A Conversation with Neil Gaiman which is basically a 90 minute with interview with Gaiman about writing The Sandman and he tells some interesting stories about creating this series. He even talks about the upcoming The Sandman: Overture mini-series and this was recorded in 2008 (back then he called or refered to it as The Sandman #0).

I've got to re-read The Sandman vols. 1-4, read vol. 5-9, and buy vol. 10.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

I'm just about to finish Season of Mists.
What an amazing read.
I also just noticed that some of my Tpbs are 1st prints.

I seem to remember someone stating that the 1st print tpbs have some extra added value, so score.

Sandman is soooooooo good. I'm enjoying this read as much as any in a long while.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

I like the first print original hardcovers because the covers are unique. Season of Mists is my favorite - leather with an embossed key to Hell. I'm not sure how much they fetch now, but the few I needed to complete the set cost me a pretty penny over a decade ago. Definitely worth it though.

MarkRoseHFX
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

Elveen wrote:I'm just about to finish Season of Mists.
What an amazing read.
I also just noticed that some of my Tpbs are 1st prints.

I seem to remember someone stating that the 1st print tpbs have some extra added value, so score.

Sandman is soooooooo good. I'm enjoying this read as much as any in a long while.
Season of Mists is my fav, but so many are a close second.
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

I think Calliope is my absolute favorite. The issue that introduces Death is superb as well. I always loved that issue and not just because it was a "key". It was a beautifully paced story that didn't give itself away even though by it's conclusion you feel like you should have seen it coming.

I'm not sure that I've ever read The Wake. I got to TKO and found it to be difficult to get into as was mentioned here earlier and I think I gave up.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

dave wrote:I think Calliope is my absolute favorite. The issue that introduces Death is superb as well. I always loved that issue and not just because it was a "key". It was a beautifully paced story that didn't give itself away even though by it's conclusion you feel like you should have seen it coming.

I'm not sure that I've ever read The Wake. I got to TKO and found it to be difficult to get into as was mentioned here earlier and I think I gave up.
You should read the Wake if for no other reason than the Hob Gadling story. One of the best issues of the series. Of course I'm quite partial to that character.

I never understood the complaints about The Kindly Ones. I love the super stylized art of Hempel. The story is definitely not as good as some of the other arcs, but it still blows every other comic story out of the water.

The Wake is the weakest arc, but it is a necessary epilogue and one of the most complete wrap ups of any epic story that I've read.
:cough: LOTR :cough:

dave
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

Yeah, I just lost interest. I still want to read it all so that I can say that I have, but most of the time I prefer to re-read the good stuff.

I don't want to be disappointed.

It's kind of the same reason I hesitated to finish so much of VH-1.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

dave wrote:Yeah, I just lost interest. I still want to read it all so that I can say that I have, but most of the time I prefer to re-read the good stuff.

I don't want to be disappointed.

It's kind of the same reason I hesitated to finish so much of VH-1.
Seriously, if you liked the character of Hob Gadling, you have to read Sandman #73. It's awesome.

ncameron
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 92 ish
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Q & W "clang"
Favorite writer: VH1: Shooter

Post by ncameron »

Hey if you a have spare grand you should check out this kickstarter
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/132 ... other-doll" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And check out her Sandman art test piece, it's quite stunning.

-Neil

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

ncameron wrote:Hey if you a have spare grand you should check out this kickstarter
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/132 ... other-doll" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-Neil
I so wish I had a spare grand for that. Moreso for the painted in copy of Brief Lives than the other.

ncameron
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by ncameron »

lorddunlow wrote:
ncameron wrote:Hey if you a have spare grand you should check out this kickstarter

-Neil
I so wish I had a spare grand for that. Moreso for the painted in copy of Brief Lives than the other.
Yeah there is a lot of cool stuff if you a comic fan with some money, an Endless Mural would really tie the room together.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

ncameron wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:

-Neil
Yeah there is a lot of cool stuff if you a comic fan with some money, an Endless Mural would really tie the room together.
How awesome would a Lil' Endless mural be for a kid's room?

Newton
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by Newton »

Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion, but Fables is not even close to Sandman. I finally got around to reading Fables due to the constant comparison and almost stopped reading it several times for the same reason... I just do not see it.

Sandman for me is in a small class of required reading material for people wanting to know what all the buzz is about with comic books. It contains some of the best writing in ANY medium comics or otherwise. Fables is good - easily better than the average comic book on the shelves, but that is the most praise I can give it.

Season of Mists is my favorite Sandman arc by a long shot.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Newton wrote:Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion, but Fables is not even close to Sandman. I finally got around to reading Fables due to the constant comparison and almost stopped reading it several times for the same reason... I just do not see it.

Sandman for me is in a small class of required reading material for people wanting to know what all the buzz is about with comic books. It contains some of the best writing in ANY medium comics or otherwise. Fables is good - easily better than the average comic book on the shelves, but that is the most praise I can give it.
QFT

I love Fables, but it's nowhere near Sandman. Sandman and Watchmen are lauded for a reason. There really is nothing else like those books. I really enjoyed The Dreaming series, but again - it was no Sandman.

ncameron
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by ncameron »

I agree re: Sandman Vs. Fables and I think its a pretty decisive one.

Perhaps its the fact that Fables is ongoing and at some point will have doubled the length of the Sandman run. Building toward an ending is far more satisfying that staying in a perpetual 2nd act, as an ongoing title must.

I can think of a couple of story arcs in fables that just felt off, whereas Sandman just doesnt have a noticeable dip in quality, it just ends.

Probably why I hold Transmet, Preacher, Invisibles, Y and Scalped as favorite comics. The story was over and the creators worked toward that ending.

-Neil

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

ncameron wrote:I agree re: Sandman Vs. Fables and I think its a pretty decisive one.

Perhaps its the fact that Fables is ongoing and at some point will have doubled the length of the Sandman run. Building toward an ending is far more satisfying that staying in a perpetual 2nd act, as an ongoing title must.

I can think of a couple of story arcs in fables that just felt off, whereas Sandman just doesnt have a noticeable dip in quality, it just ends.

Probably why I hold Transmet, Preacher, Invisibles, Y and Scalped as favorite comics. The story was over and the creators worked toward that ending.

-Neil
I prefer a conclusion. I'm glad to hear that Chew will end at #60. Could it go on longer - of course. Could it go on indefinitely - no. At some point, the magic is lost. Even with good writing. All stories must come to an end.

Newton

Post by Newton »

Fables does some really clever things with fairy tale characters. I love Frau Totenkinder and several other characters in the series. It is good storytelling based around some clever representations of fairy tale characters. Absolutely nothing wrong with that and I personally could only dream of doing something as well done as Fables.

Sandman though deals with themes that I would argue are universally appealing to people. Dreams, Death, Destiny, etc - the endless represent things that are deeply tied with human emotion and storytelling. Beyond that the effectiveness with which Gaiman makes use of the endless to tell stories is just off the charts good. It probably is not an exaggeration to say it's Joseph Cambell level fiction that I think will stand the test of time.

I have not put much thought into what I would group in with Sandman and Watchmen as top tier reads. I read Maus as a very young child and that book really stuck with me if we bring graphic novels into the discussion.

nycjadie
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

The Fables universe is pretty broad, while Sandman focused solely on one character. Would Sandman still be good if it focused on Death at issue 76? Maybe?

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

nycjadie wrote:The Fables universe is pretty broad, while Sandman focused solely on one character. Would Sandman still be good if it focused on Death at issue 76? Maybe?
Hell, yeah! Like I said, Dream was annoying as a person (being/entity/whatever). The Death books were almost as good. Death is why Brief Lives is my favorite arc. Destruction, Destiny, and Delirium could also have carried the book for a while. Despair and Desire not so much (although now that I think about it, Gaiman could do a really good set of stories if he used each of the last two off of the other).