Only The Valiant Podcast

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that
Re: Only The Valiant Podcast

Post by Elveen »

lorddunlow wrote:
Elveen wrote:
MarkRoseHFX wrote:
Dr. Solar wrote: I've got a bit of a change coming up in my life, I am going to relocate to Southern California and start a new job in July.
congrats on the new job! good luck with the move, moving SUCKS.

Yes. But he's moving to So Cal. So that's a WIN!
You're going to lock him in your basement with the VEI guys aren't you? At this point, you should probably get a license to run a kennel or something. :kidaround:

I can't comment about that, but I am stoked that Doc will be down here. It will be much easier for him to work with me now that he will be down here already. :clap: :clap:

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Elveen wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
Elveen wrote:
MarkRoseHFX wrote:
Dr. Solar wrote: I've got a bit of a change coming up in my life, I am going to relocate to Southern California and start a new job in July.

You're going to lock him in your basement with the VEI guys aren't you? At this point, you should probably get a license to run a kennel or something. :kidaround:

I can't comment about that, but I am stoked that Doc will be down here. It will be much easier for him to work with me now that he will be down here already. :clap: :clap:
You do realize the US outlawed slavery a long time ago, right?
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

MarkRoseHFX
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

Elveen wrote:
MarkRoseHFX wrote:

i'm of course referring to the process of moving not the destination :)
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

MarkRoseHFX
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

lorddunlow wrote:
MarkRoseHFX wrote:
There needs to be something more extreme than QFT.

If I can avoid ever moving, ever again, I will do so.
i'm the same way. esp after my last move. the gf and I moved in together about 5 years ago and it POURED down raining that day. that resulted in everybody who was going to help us backing out (the *SQUEES*) and us having a soaked and miserable day.
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

Dallow Spicer1
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

MarkRoseHFX wrote:
Good luck on the new job Sean, I hear California is rife with water pipes above electrical conduits...they need you fella :thumb:

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
MarkRoseHFX wrote:
Good luck on the new job Sean, I hear California is rife with water pipes above electrical conduits...they need you fella :thumb:
That is NOT up to code!

Thanks folks. I'm really excited about this new job.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

I have moved 3 times in my life. Only 3, but I never wish to repeat the process ever again.

Move #1 - 18yrs old, going to college. Had only one room of crap to move, plus some furniture my family gave me. Moved 45 minutes away from where I grew up into a tiny trailer into a crappy trailer park. Trailers and trailer parks are not fun places to live. The moving process resulted in my dad breaking lots of my stuff and us having words - really haven't had the best relationship since that day, although it's better now than it was.

Move #2 - Moved from crappy trailer to nice smaller house literally 3 miles down the road from the trailer. I hadn't accumulated too much stuff, and we took almost everything in small loads in my car. Had to have my dad move some furniture in his truck. He refused to tie anything down since it was short distance, and as such broke my computer desk into a million pieces all over the road.

Move #3 - Move from Huntington, WV to Memphis, TN (500 miles - 9hr drive in good conditions). My employer in TN paid for the move, so I thought it would be simple. Hired a company to do a complete pack-move-unpack. I apparently hired a scam company that had been shut down under other names (discovered this mid-move). Absolute disaster. They were scheduled to come on one day, but didn't show. I called and complained. They said the driver was delayed by one day and would be there the next morning. Two "movers" showed up around noon who were not bonded/licensed; they told my wife they were told it was an unload only with no unpacking - when it was supposed to be the packing and loading - and that they had never moved anyone before. The driver didn't show until 4:30PM the next day. I told the driver I didn't think he could pack and move my entire house before it got dark, but he started anyway. He had no boxes, no packing material, nothing. He said his truck couldn't get in my driveway so I would be charged for him renting a U-Haul. I argued to no avail. He came back about 2 hours later with some supplies and a U-Haul. They started throwing everything in boxes - mixing rooms, not labeling anything. We had a broken deep fryer full of oil that we repeatedly said, "we're throwing that out, don't pack it" It disappeared. Asked about it. They said, "we must have packed it, oh well." They ran out of boxes half way through, but refused to get more boxes. They just started throwing items in trash cans and taping loose articles to each other and throwing them in the U-Haul.

Didn't show up to new house for 3 days. I called to complain every day of this intervening time. Reports online said that this company just steals your stuff most often. Very nervous 3 days. My wife was also pregnant at this time.

My wife and her father had to drive down to meet the delivery truck, as I was still working. The truck showed up late and they refused to unload anything until they were paid in full. (There were tons of stories online about this company in which people refused to pay, and the company put all of their stuff into storage until they paid the moving fees and storage costs, and had been fighting for months to get their stuff.) They hauled all of the furniture into the rooms my wife told them to. They broke my computer desk (see a trend?) moving it up the stairs, tearing holes in the walls of a brand new house in the process. They scratched the hardwood floor. Last pieces of furniture were our bedroom pieces. My wife said they seemed to sneak them in while she was busy assessing something they damaged. She said they covered all the pieces with blankets and sheets that they actually took out of boxes. She became suspicious as they also started furiously dumping everything left in the truck into the garage instead of asking where we wanted the boxes. One of them was an oil-soaked box that had soaked several other boxes. We found the deep fryer! Other contents of the box with the deep fryer - framed prints from the living room :? My wife confronted the driver and asked for the check back because of all of the damage. He stated he left while the others were unpacking to go deposit the check, and that it was already deposited. They pretty much ran off after that.

Why did they cover the bedroom furniture? Every single piece of solid wood furniture was broken in a major way. I don't think I could do that much damage if I tried. After weeks of going through boxes, trash cans, tape mounds of our stuff, and taking pictures, cataloging (we got insurance on the move - although they tried to reject every claim) about 90% of everything we owned was lost or broken. Luckily, we rented a U-Haul trailer to move irreplaceable items, so all sentimental items (except one, which I still lament to this day: a signed Cats - the musical - poster framed with our tickets and playbills from the first trip my wife and I took as a couple) were intact and safe.

We finally got everything in order (2 months later), but I still have a mess in the garage (3 years later) that I can never muster up enough willpower to clean.

If I'm ever forced to move again, I plan on selling the house as-is with all contents. I'll rent another U-Haul trailer and put the sentimental stuff in there, then the next owners can do what they want with my stuff. It'll just be easier that way. I don't see me ever moving though. I love my current house. I love my community. I have planted roots.

Dr. Solar

Post by Dr. Solar »

Thank you, Lord Dunlow, to adding to all the little pieces of anxiety and concern I already have for this move ;)

I've got a lot of stuff to move, that's for sure. I think I am gonna rent a uhaul and just do it all myself, with maybe a little elbow grease from a friend or two.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Dr. Solar wrote:Thank you, Lord Dunlow, to adding to all the little pieces of anxiety and concern I already have for this move ;)

I've got a lot of stuff to move, that's for sure. I think I am gonna rent a uhaul and just do it all myself, with maybe a little elbow grease from a friend or two.
Not meant to add anxiety at all. Think of it as a cautionary tale. If possible I would use my own labor or that of friends only. Never letting another moving company touch my stuff. It was much more work going through the mess, hassling the insurance, buying all new stuff, and the sheer stress. It would have been easier/less stressful to move it ourselves. Good luck with your move.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

Dr. Solar wrote:Thank you, Lord Dunlow, to adding to all the little pieces of anxiety and concern I already have for this move ;)

:hi:

drmirage
WOW! OMG BBQ! Thats crazy!
WOW! OMG BBQ! Thats crazy!
Valiant fan since: 1990
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by drmirage »

Moving is exciting!

If I weren't in the industry that I am in, I'd move up to Nor Cal.

Just a different vibe up North. :thumb:

My family just prefers cooler weather I guess.

Been in LA too long :P

:D

Dr. Solar

Post by Dr. Solar »

Elveen wrote:

Be careful what you say!

Though, that may be very, very welcome.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

Dr. Solar wrote:
Elveen wrote:

Be careful what you say!

If you need help moving, and I can give it, then you have it.

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

Elveen wrote:
Dr. Solar wrote:
Elveen wrote:

Be careful what you say!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvvJ7MYaK8o

:thumb:

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

:thumb:

Dr. Solar

Post by Dr. Solar »

Elveen wrote:
Dr. Solar wrote:
Elveen wrote:

Be careful what you say!

Thanks buddy. I may need to take you up on that.

Jace
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clay Mann

Post by Jace »

Gotta totally agree about the moving sucks thing. I once moved 5 times in 3 months. NEVER want to go through that again. I will be moving to Phoenix sometime later this year though. Anyway having lived in Nor-cal and So-cal I must say I prefer Northern to Southern. However, they both have positives and negatives. The new job seems to have you pretty excited though Sean so best of luck to you. I currently live in Central Cali so I could conceivably help out with the move as well if you need the help. My son will be here for SDCC for the month of July so he could help out too.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

lorddunlow wrote:You do realize the US outlawed slavery a long time ago, right?
There is an exception in the 13th Amendment that makes slavery in some cases legal. It would involve the person bound to slavery being convicted of a crime, though. I think it is in there to make sure it is legal to hold prisoners in prison and to allow them to work.

Dr. Solar

Post by Dr. Solar »

Jace wrote:Gotta totally agree about the moving sucks thing. I once moved 5 times in 3 months. NEVER want to go through that again. I will be moving to Phoenix sometime later this year though. Anyway having lived in Nor-cal and So-cal I must say I prefer Northern to Southern. However, they both have positives and negatives. The new job seems to have you pretty excited though Sean so best of luck to you. I currently live in Central Cali so I could conceivably help out with the move as well if you need the help. My son will be here for SDCC for the month of July so he could help out too.
Moving to SoCal was a "con" as I was going through the pros and cons.

There are a LOT of good things about moving to SoCal, I have a lot of good friends there, some good friends I don't get to see as often as I'd like, and my family is down there. Those are all good things, though I really love it here in San Frantastic, I'm settled, and I have great friends.

The job was good enough to overcome my desire to stay in NorCal though.

Thanks for the offer of help, I'm hoping that with my local network of friends up here, and my family down there, I'll be able to get the help I'll need with the packing and unpacking.

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

Hello Sean and Christian:

First of all, congrats on the new job, Sean! If you need to lighten up on any VH1 books, please let me know!

I wanted to tell you both how much I have enjoyed the latest OTV podcast on selling comics at conventions. I have only been to one large convention and several smaller ones and I would love to walk up to one of your organized booths to shop and converse. Elveen's first rule of "being nice" works in all facets of life. As a Financial Planner and a former Police Officer, treating people with respect and kindness goes a long way.

I have traded books with Elveen in the past and I can tell you that he practices what he preaches. He went out of his way to make sure I was happy with my trade and the books that I received, and you know what, I will probably buy/trade from him again!

Great work, guys!

Michael
mkb28

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

So did Chiclo's finishing move ever get a name?

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

depluto wrote:So did Chiclo's finishing move ever get a name?
We have not recorded since. I hope to hear some listener feedback soon.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

I vote for the Studmuffin. Or the Jokekiller.

hawkeyeps

Post by hawkeyeps »

Chiclo wrote:
depluto wrote:So did Chiclo's finishing move ever get a name?
We have not recorded since. I hope to hear some listener feedback soon.
The Jack Stud.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

The Studfinder?