Kindle Worlds - Valiant is now open

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.
Kindle Worlds - Valiant is now open

Post by nycjadie »

See: http://amazon.com/kindleworlds" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's prestocked with several stories ranging from 16-77 pages.

I'm not familiar with all of the cover art? Some looks repurposed, but is any of it new?

MrDomino
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Faith
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Re: Kindle Worlds - Valiant is now open

Post by MrDomino »

Going over the synopses doesn't leave me excited. X-O: Noughts and Crosses sounds completely out-of-continuity, embarrassingly so. A&A: Greeks bearing gifts seems more in line with classic Valiant than VEI, due to it's use of Ivar as the Timewalker, which I suppose is fine if they're going to allow that, but they ought to be having people mark it as such. SM: Salvation Sally doesn't seem to have anything at all to do with Shadowman, aside from the cover art. Harbinger: Slow Burn is exactly what I was afraid would happen with Harbinger fic - X-Men style "random youngster develops super-powers" Mary Sue-ism that has nothing to do with Harbinger. SM: The Soul Freezer at least appears to actually center around Shadowman, but it also introduces "the sister he never knew he had". Whatever. A&A: Fortune Favors the Bold, however, seems to - based solely on the description - fit perfectly in with VEI A&A stuff.

Not an auspicious start, overall. The idea of licensor-approved paid fanfic is not a terrible one on it's face - but I think it only really works if there's at least a little bit of oversight on the part of both the service provider and the licensor to make sure that if this is going to be paid fanfiction, that it's a cut above what you normally see, and is therefore worth what they're charging.

EDIT: There's also A&A: A Dagger Through Time, which has Archer having "previously worked for a Japanese warlord to prevent a war". All, apparently, while never having left the Promised Land Supervised Fun Center and Learning Park.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Chris Campbell
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Re: Kindle Worlds - Valiant is now open

Post by Chris Campbell »

MrDomino wrote: SM: Salvation Sally doesn't seem to have anything at all to do with Shadowman, aside from the cover art.

Just a heads-up, this is actually a Harbinger story. I'm sure the cover art and the title will be corrected soon.
Valiant Podcast available on iTunes, Stitcher, and by direct download at Taylor Network