Comic to Movies

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

DarqueArcher
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Comic to Movies

Post by DarqueArcher »

Why do you think comics are making the transition to the big screen so well? My take is, the credit goes to the very talented writers in the comic book industry. I think in most cases they create great story lines and when you have a solid foundation to work with makes the job a little easier.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that
Re: Comic to Movies

Post by Elveen »

I agree. There are great characters and great stories in comic books.

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

To be honest while I think there are good/great characters crtaeted, I think Hollywood has figured out the formula for success with the genre. Which makes me think like any genre it will have a peak before that peak goes; think sci-fi; monster movies; disaster movies, Westerns etc.

Right now super-hero movies are in the ascendancy and at some point it will be something else. But because something has been or can be good or great as a comic does not mean it will be good or great as a movie.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

Bone-A-Fach-ee
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: '92
Favorite character: Tony Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger/Imperium
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

I think Super Hero movies are all the rage now because technology caught up. Did you ever see those crappy Captain America and Fantastic Four movies from the late 80's early 90's? Aside from the script being god awful, there was no way to make the super powers look cool at all! OR the costumes.
Now, the CG tech, wardrobe, and realism in general have all contributed to making super hero movies possible.
And yes, when people like Bryan Singer, Christopher Nolan, Sam Raimi, Joss Whedon take the helm, great things are very possible.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

leonmallett wrote:To be honest while I think there are good/great characters crtaeted, I think Hollywood has figured out the formula for success with the genre. Which makes me think like any genre it will have a peak before that peak goes; think sci-fi; monster movies; disaster movies, Westerns etc.

Right now super-hero movies are in the ascendancy and at some point it will be something else. But because something has been or can be good or great as a comic does not mean it will be good or great as a movie.
Sad but true. But once you get some more critical and/or financial flops like Green Lantern, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, Jonah Hex, and Superman Returns Hollywood will start making less of them.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Andy
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?

Post by Andy »

CGI is a big part of comic translations being easier to do well. I think the other reason that comic movies are popular with studios is that while theaters are having a hard time, comic book movies have a predictable segment of the population that will watch no matter what. An established IP cuts down on a lot of risk.

nutflush76
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Rai
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by nutflush76 »

I think that the biggest reason that Comic books are making the transition to screen now, than they were before is because they are being made by comic book people. This is especially true in Marvel's case. Joss Whedon, Kevin Feige, and John Favreau either have background in the comic industry or are comic book fans.

With the exceptions of Richard Donner's Superman and Tim Burton's Batman movies, comic book movies were all given to second rate directors and weren't treated as if they could be viable franchises even though the previously mentioned movies proved that they could be.

Nolan's Batman movies show that you don't necessarily need a comic book guy as long as you have a talented director who respects the material (as the Joel Schumacher Batman movie showed us with a talented director who didn't respect the source material).

Not all the movies have been successful. Green Lantern is the most glaring example. From second rate CGI to a complete miscasting of Hal Jordan, the movie was treated like it wasn't a "real" movie.

Sadly, it sounds like there is some back and forth at Warner Brothers as to how the Justice League movie should be treated. For a studio to put out 3 great Batman movies and, from what I've heard since I won't see it until tomorrow, a great Superman movie. How they could bungle Green Lantern so badly and how they seem to be going down the road of ruining the Justice League movie.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Bone-A-Fach-ee wrote:I think Super Hero movies are all the rage now because technology caught up. Did you ever see those crappy Captain America and Fantastic Four movies from the late 80's early 90's? Aside from the script being god awful, there was no way to make the super powers look cool at all! OR the costumes.
Now, the CG tech, wardrobe, and realism in general have all contributed to making super hero movies possible.
And yes, when people like Bryan Singer, Christopher Nolan, Sam Raimi, Joss Whedon take the helm, great things are very possible.
Hasselhoff as Nick Fury in the early 90s or Doctor Strange (starring a mid-30s Jessica Walter... oh my) from the late 70s?

One thing about comics, particularly ones that have been around a while, is that the monthly pamphlets are almost like a laboratory for stories. X-Men or Batman present decades worth of storytelling by many different authors, some stories are good and some stories are not. Some stories would translate well to the big screen while others might not.

nutflush76
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Rai
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by nutflush76 »

Chiclo wrote:
Bone-A-Fach-ee wrote:I think Super Hero movies are all the rage now because technology caught up. Did you ever see those crappy Captain America and Fantastic Four movies from the late 80's early 90's? Aside from the script being god awful, there was no way to make the super powers look cool at all! OR the costumes.
Hasselhoff as Nick Fury in the early 90s or Doctor Strange (starring a mid-30s Jessica Walter... oh my) from the late 70s?
No amount of new CG could make those movies any better!

Spylocke
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 1993

Post by Spylocke »

nutflush76 wrote:No amount of new CG could make those movies any better!
I disagree. I would totally watch Hasselhoff's Nick Fury if they CG'd him into something ridiculous and kept the same voice and dialogue. Godzilla: Agent of Shield sounds like it could be a great B-Movie.

Burrito Boy
Favorite character: Gunny Lewis
Favorite title: Armorines
Favorite writer: Jorge Gonzalez

Post by Burrito Boy »

Chiclo wrote:

One thing about comics, particularly ones that have been around a while, is that the monthly pamphlets are almost like a laboratory for stories. X-Men or Batman present decades worth of storytelling by many different authors, some stories are good and some stories are not. Some stories would translate well to the big screen while others might not.
Hasselhoff as Nick Fury? Hasselhoff never played Nick Fury. That's insane.

Wait. What's this? I seem to remember...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

I thought I had repressed those memories! :!:

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Burrito Boy wrote:
Chiclo wrote:

Hasselhoff as Nick Fury? Hasselhoff never played Nick Fury. That's insane.

Wait. What's this? I seem to remember...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

I thought I had repressed those memories! :!:
Sure you remember. With the Lisa Rinna.

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

The interesting thing about the "flops" mentioned is that they were still good films. I mean, they weren't horrible. Green Lantern didn't make me cringe (that much) but it was very underwhelming. The other two were the same. "Good" might be too strong...they were "ok". Whereas, the older films from the 80s etc were just awful.

I think that Hollywood finally figured out that they can make a ton of money if they do these right, which seems to be: Stick with the source material (to a point) Update the science; Revamp the costumes and make it an action packed film.

Bone-A-Fach-ee
Valiant fan since: '92
Favorite character: Tony Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger/Imperium
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

dave wrote:The interesting thing about the "flops" mentioned is that they were still good films. I mean, they weren't horrible. Green Lantern didn't make me cringe (that much) but it was very underwhelming. The other two were the same. "Good" might be too strong...they were "ok". Whereas, the older films from the 80s etc were just awful.

I think that Hollywood finally figured out that they can make a ton of money if they do these right, which seems to be: Stick with the source material (to a point) Update the science; Revamp the costumes and make it an action packed film.
Green Lantern hurt my soul. facepalm

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

Bone-A-Fach-ee wrote:
dave wrote:The interesting thing about the "flops" mentioned is that they were still good films. I mean, they weren't horrible. Green Lantern didn't make me cringe (that much) but it was very underwhelming. The other two were the same. "Good" might be too strong...they were "ok". Whereas, the older films from the 80s etc were just awful.

They took nearly everything great about the last 30 years of GL and crapped all over it. The worst offense was what they did with the embodiment of fear.

Brother Darque

Post by Brother Darque »

xodacia81 wrote:
Bone-A-Fach-ee wrote:

They took nearly everything great about the last 30 years of GL and crapped all over it. The worst offense was what they did with the embodiment of fear.
my brother loved Green Lantern.

it made me wonder if he was adopted.

bosco685
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by bosco685 »

Brother Darque wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:
Bone-A-Fach-ee wrote:

:lol:

Hopefully there will be a relaunch of Green Lantern due to the success of Man of Steel.

:banana:

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

bosco685 wrote:
Brother Darque wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:
Bone-A-Fach-ee wrote:

Hopefully there will be a relaunch of Green Lantern due to the success of Man of Steel.

My thinking on that is this: Warner Bros/DCE wanted to copy the success of The Avengers franchises but didn't realize that what Marvel did was a huge risk on all fronts should one or two of the various lead-in films (Iron Man, Thor, Capatin America, and Hulk) fail then the whole thing could have fallen apart. Plus it took years for Marvel to put it all together and they had a number of different writers and directors on board as well. IMHO Warner Bros and DCE would be smart to the Justice League film first then spin-off Green Lantern, The Flash, Aquaman, and Wonder Woman.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

bosco685

Post by bosco685 »

Cyberstrike wrote:
bosco685 wrote:
Brother Darque wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:
Bone-A-Fach-ee wrote:

My thinking on that is this: Warner Bros/DCE wanted to copy the success of The Avengers franchises but didn't realize that what Marvel did was a huge risk on all fronts should one or two of the various lead-in films (Iron Man, Thor, Capatin America, and Hulk) fail then the whole thing could have fallen apart. Plus it took years for Marvel to put it all together and they had a number of different writers and directors on board as well. IMHO Warner Bros and DCE would be smart to the Justice League film first then spin-off Green Lantern, The Flash, Aquaman, and Wonder Woman.
Someone had a recommendation on another forum for a mini-Justice League to slowly build up to the full mass-character movie using World's Finest as the focus. That would include Batman, Superman the Joker and either Lex Luthor or someone not utilized before in film. Potentially Mr. Mxyzptlk or Mongul.

I liked the concept. I just don't see Warner Bros. realizing what they could deliver with this approach.

Baramos
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.

Post by Baramos »

The Hasselhoff Nick Fury movie is fun to watch simply because of how hokey the SFX and acting is and because it is so inane at points. If I remember correctly it starts off with Nick Fury in semi-retirement, living in Alaska, using a pickaxe in an old mineshaft for no apparent reason. Maybe he took up gold prospecting, no idea.

As for why they have been so successful, I think it depends partly on the special effects being more possible in this day and age, true, but then again I think the 1970s Superman movies show that if you have a competent director(s) who seem to actually care somewhat about the source material, you can get some great movies made. Take for example the '89 Batman movie, now Burton clearly only cared about the source material to a certain extent but he got the tone right and he didn't tinker with the characters to a massive extent (well, Batman killed people and the Joker shot his parents, but the fundamentals of the look and such were there). Then you see with Schumacher someone who seemingly only really cared about replicating the 1966 Batman TV show's tone (although ironically I've heard Schumacher was a big fan of the comics, though I have no idea what era he was into). Talent in this case was clearly on Burton's side, at least for Batman. He clearly "got" the character in a way Schumacher did not. Nolan is the same way.

Now, I did not like Man of Steel very much, but I think the only thing that saved it from being completely off the rails was that the creators presumably took it seriously. Now, I think they took it TOO seriously, as a lot of Man of Steel is far too overwrought, and the battle scenes are hurt by having Snyder in charge of directing them, but all in all it could have been much worse with a director who simply doesn't care.