Help Identifying Artists

Discussions of VALIANT art, artists, and the creation process. Share your latest acquisitions,
or find help in learning about original art.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

qrnd
My posts can all fit in a short box
Help Identifying Artists

Post by qrnd »

Ive recently posted a few more pieces of my early Valiant art, and am having trouble identifying the pencillers and inkers. With the ones I have posted so far, there are a few that were not published to my knowledge, and no signature appears on the actual boards.

http://www.qrnd.com/vf/art.html

Im hoping someone from this forum will be able to either recognize the style, or know first hand who was involved. Id really like to give credit to the creators. Thanks everyone (anyone?).

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

boy, that's gonna be tough...they look like they were all the same hand though...could shooter have done them?
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

JayJay
Valiant? I was there!
Valiant? I was there!

Post by JayJay »

Those Captain N, Old Warriors Never Die pages look like Ernie Colon pencils to me and he worked for us on and off over the years. Don't know who the inker is, though. Maybe Bob.

JayJay Jackson

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

JayJay wrote:JayJay Jackson
A most warm welcome!

/Magnus

qrnd

Post by qrnd »

JayJay wrote:Those Captain N, Old Warriors Never Die pages look like Ernie Colon pencils to me and he worked for us on and off over the years. Don't know who the inker is, though. Maybe Bob.
Thank you. I have not come across his name in any of the pre-hero books, so it would be nice if they were his. What will be really tough identifying are some of these unsigned Super Mario pages I have. Each artist seemed to draw those characters exactly the same way! I keep wondering if there is some kind of master checklist that credits who provided what, although it seems doubtful - most of the original artists dont even remember what parts they did so long ago.

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

JayJay wrote: JayJay Jackson
Welcome! It's nice to know some of the Valiant founding fathers (and mothers) visit this site.

JayJay
Valiant? I was there!
Valiant? I was there!

Post by JayJay »

Thanks for the welcome. Dinesh and Magnus suggested that I check out these boards.

As far as a master list of credits or something like that... the company would have had an editorial schedule at one time and of course the financial records of who got paid for what job, but lord knows what ever happened to those. I can sometimes guess by the art style, but you're right about the Mario Bros stuff, we tried to have every artist draw that in a very similar style. We were trying to give those comics that video game look. I have a terrible memory for that kind of stuff. Which is odd, I think, because I had a good memory for schedules at the time. I had gotten spoiled by being able to ask Jim about those days becaus he has an excellent memory, but lately when I've asked him things, he has a hard time remembering, too. We always loved Ernie's work (Jim and I were both fans of his) and wanted to use him. Those Old Warriors Never Die pages just look like his style to me.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

JayJay wrote:Thanks for the welcome. Dinesh and Magnus suggested that I check out these boards.
Be sure to count me in as part of the "welcome committee".
We're happy to have you! Watch out for some of these guys, though,
they'll have you re-living the foundations of Valiant (and Defiant)
with question after question... but for the most part, we're harmless. :P

qrnd

Post by qrnd »

Ive just added a few more unknown artist pages, including a Metroid story that I dont think is in any comic I have seen.

http://www.qrnd.com/vf/art.html

Vault-Keeper
Mr. Sunshine
Mr. Sunshine

Post by Vault-Keeper »

For some reason, I couldn't see the pages, but the Metroid story could be pages from the little known story that Valiant produced for print in the Nintendo Power magazine. I believe it might have been in issue #26 from 1990/91. No artist credits....---Steve G

VanHook
Valiant? I was there!
Valiant? I was there!
RE: Kevin VanHook says Howdy to JayJay

Post by VanHook »

Just saying, "Hi, JayJay!"

Hope all's well with you and yours. There's a great group of folks on the board. I'm sure they'll treat you right.

Best,
Kevin
I had a dream that I was falling through time. I am falling still.