What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by Elveen »

xodacia81 wrote:
Elveen wrote:I have a few issues of Chew to read. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: #28-30
Oh man. You better give us all your view on # 30,'Veen.
I was not expecting that at all! I think it is going to get real sick real quick. I love Chew, love it!!!!!!

One thing I can say about Chew FOR SURE is...... #60 is the end! I talked to John Layman and he said the end is done, #60 is the end. Chew will be over!

He did tell me that he did tell one dude the end of Chew.......

We also talked about the TV show and all that hot mess. Love John Layman.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

I am on a OG Valiant kick and I'm reading some Acclaim books. I've read, Man of God, Revelations, and Master Darque 1 shots. And now I'm reading the Darque Passages mini.

They are pretty good. There were some interesting ideas in there.

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

Elveen wrote:I am on a OG Valiant kick and I'm reading some Acclaim books. I've read, Man of God, Revelations, and Master Darque 1 shots. And now I'm reading the Darque Passages mini.

They are pretty good. There were some interesting ideas in there.
definitely not all ack-laim is bad...but the bad stuff is REALLY bad...you can find some gold nuggets though :thumb:
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

pixierosa wrote:I've been reading the Cable & X-Force and did the new #1 Uncanny X-Force. They're actually not bad (WTH Cluster?!?), but the All New X-Men is really good.
Cluster spun out of the Uncanny X-Force book. In the book, Fantomex had grown an Apocalypse clone who went by the name of Nate. He grew Nate in a bubble where time moved more quickly and had arranged for him to have a childhood similar to Superman's, living in a rural farm house with a dottering mother and father. Fantomex came to Nate at several points to help guide the young man and he used the name "Uncle Cluster".

In the final issue of Uncanny X-Force, Fantomex is revived after a gruesome death but each of his three brains gets an individual body. One of those brains ends up in a female body and takes the name Cluster.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Lightning Strike wrote:
Dr. Solar wrote:I picked up Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers books. It's pretty good, but a lot of it is falling flat to me.

If this is supposedly some of the better superhero stuff out there, it is becoming clear to me that superheroes really, really aren't for me.
Try Hickman's FF and Secret Warriors
+1 on the FF. (Can't thank Lightning enough for posting this panels a while back. Some of the best stuff I've read - and I'm not big on the Fantastic Four at all.) I haven't read Secret Warriors yet.

I'm enjoying the Avengers stuff so far. Hickman really seems like he's going to be hard to top as my favorite writer. I look forward to hunting up the other stuff he has done.

Nothing beats Manhattan Projects, though.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

Elveen wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:
Elveen wrote:I have a few issues of Chew to read. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: #28-30
Oh man. You better give us all your view on # 30,'Veen.
I was not expecting that at all! I think it is going to get real sick real quick. I love Chew, love it!!!!!!

One thing I can say about Chew FOR SURE is...... #60 is the end! I talked to John Layman and he said the end is done, #60 is the end. Chew will be over!

He did tell me that he did tell one dude the end of Chew.......

We also talked about the TV show and all that hot mess. Love John Layman.
Yep. NOBODY seems to believe me when I tell them 60 is the last issue, because it's such a massive hit. I tell them to look at Y: The Last Man, Sandman and 100 Bullets, all pretty damn big books, and they all had defined ends. As for 30, yeah, sick and yet so fitting. Layman and Guillory are a great team. Did you read the Poyo special? As for the tv show...if it never happens, I'm happy to just have the books. Easily a top 10 alltime read for me.

tetrisdork
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by tetrisdork »

Chiclo wrote:
pixierosa wrote:I've been reading the Cable & X-Force and did the new #1 Uncanny X-Force. They're actually not bad (WTH Cluster?!?), but the All New X-Men is really good.
Cluster spun out of the Uncanny X-Force book. In the book, Fantomex had grown an Apocalypse clone who went by the name of Nate. He grew Nate in a bubble where time moved more quickly and had arranged for him to have a childhood similar to Superman's, living in a rural farm house with a dottering mother and father. Fantomex came to Nate at several points to help guide the young man and he used the name "Uncle Cluster".

In the final issue of Uncanny X-Force, Fantomex is revived after a gruesome death but each of his three brains gets an individual body. One of those brains ends up in a female body and takes the name Cluster.
The Apocalypse kid clone is named Evan. And he is still alive, currently a supporting character in Wolverine & the X-Men.

Avengers is not for me, although I've been more willing to try Hickman's creator-owned work than his Marvel stuff. Liked the first issues of Red Wing, Red Mass for Mars, and Manhattan Projects via Comixology. Also continuing to read Sixth Gun & Quantum and Woody via Comixology and enjoying both of them.

Big Red
Valiant fan since: Before the Anni-Padda...
Favorite character: Divinity, X-O, & Bloodshot
Favorite title: Divinity
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by Big Red »

Planetoid # 4 from Image.

Good stuff.

Really an excellent sci-fi series.

Now I need to go back and re-read 1-3.
Favorite books: Black Hammer, Bloodshot, Divinity, Justice League Dark, Marvel Two-In-One, Thor.

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

As much as Rotworld between Swamp Thing and Animal Man has been disappointing and Death in the Family has been kind of ho-hum, the Throne of Atlantis event in JL and Aquaman has been really good.
ASM Crossover Home

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

Finished reading the tie-ins for Death of the Family. I'm loving every one of the books I'm getting (Batman, Detective, B&R) but Batman & Robin #15 was one of the best comics of the new 52, so far. I didn't expect that, seriously.

And, of course, Batman, Inc. (read both 6 and 7) was also very, very good.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Lightning Strike
Silent from '04 to '07, then he strikes!

Post by Lightning Strike »

ShadowTuga wrote:Finished reading the tie-ins for Death of the Family. I'm loving every one of the books I'm getting (Batman, Detective, B&R) but Batman & Robin #15 was one of the best comics of the new 52, so far. I didn't expect that, seriously.

After talking about Batman with you, you got me on a Batman kick now. I ordered a ton of Batman tpbs, some of which are the new 52 books.

I re-read Hush and Under the Red Hood over the last week and they're just awesome. I could read Hush over and over and not get tired of it. It has to be one of the best Batman books ever.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

Lightning Strike wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:Finished reading the tie-ins for Death of the Family. I'm loving every one of the books I'm getting (Batman, Detective, B&R) but Batman & Robin #15 was one of the best comics of the new 52, so far. I didn't expect that, seriously.

After talking about Batman with you, you got me on a Batman kick now. I ordered a ton of Batman tpbs, some of which are the new 52 books.

I re-read Hush and Under the Red Hood over the last week and they're just awesome. I could read Hush over and over and not get tired of it. It has to be one of the best Batman books ever.
That's awesome, LS! :D I guess you're a big Jason fan, huh? 8-)
I was actually a bit bummed when I first heard he was back, then read the story, and have been enjoying the antics of that obnoxious basterd ever since. Battle for the Cowl Jason is actually f'n Awesome. Today, I try not to bother "too much" with the fact that Bruce's biggest "defeat" was "nullified" and just enjoy the stories for what they are.
BUT I can't read Dark Knight Returns without wishing the opposite. :?

If you liked Hush, you should also check Loeb's first works, The Long Halloween and Dark Victory, if you haven't yet. Both are like mandatory bat-reads, imho.

A little advice on The New 52 trades: just remember to stay away from both "Detective" and "The Dark Knight" first TPBs/HCs. They are terrible, horrible pieces of trash. 'Tec gets fantastic right after Layman jumps in (ish 13), though. TDK is The bad book of the line, right now.

We need a Batman thread. :thumb:
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Lightning Strike

Post by Lightning Strike »

ShadowTuga wrote:
Lightning Strike wrote:

I was actually a bit bummed when I first heard he was back, then read the story, and have been enjoying the antics of that obnoxious basterd ever since. Battle for the Cowl Jason is actually f'n Awesome.
Yeah, I really like Jason. When I first read Hush, I was thrilled with it. And then finding out later on that Jason had actually fought Batman in that cemetery scene before Clayface switched places with him I was like "that's cool". And 'Under the Red Hood' is one of my favorite Batman books and the cartoon is probably my favorite single Batman cartoon movie ever. It's awesome! :)
ShadowTuga wrote:If you liked Hush, you should also check Loeb's first works, The Long Halloween and Dark Victory, if you haven't yet. Both are like mandatory bat-reads, imho.
Oh yeah, I've read those probably three times already each. Tim Sale is one of the best artists at creating darks and shadows, which makes him perfect to draw Batman. :clap:
ShadowTuga wrote:A little advice on The New 52 trades: just remember to stay away from both "Detective" and "The Dark Knight" first TPBs/HCs. They are terrible, horrible pieces of trash. 'Tec gets fantastic right after Layman jumps in (ish 13), though. TDK is The bad book of the line, right now.
Wow, really? I was going to get them all except TDK, 'cause I don't care too much for Finch's art. I was going to get Detective though because I like Tony Daniel.
ShadowTuga wrote:We need a Batman thread. :thumb:
:high-five:

Is the Black Mirror as good as everyone says? I have yet to read that book. There's also a couple of Morrison's Batman books that I haven't read yet either.

*Edited* I'm going to start a new Batman thread--that was a good idea :thumb:

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

Lightning Strike wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:
Lightning Strike wrote:

I was actually a bit bummed when I first heard he was back, then read the story, and have been enjoying the antics of that obnoxious basterd ever since. Battle for the Cowl Jason is actually f'n Awesome.
Yeah, I really like Jason. When I first read Hush, I was thrilled with it. And then finding out later on that Jason had actually fought Batman in that cemetery scene before Clayface switched places with him I was like "that's cool". And 'Under the Red Hood' is one of my favorite Batman books and the cartoon is probably my favorite single Batman cartoon movie ever. It's awesome! :)
ShadowTuga wrote:If you liked Hush, you should also check Loeb's first works, The Long Halloween and Dark Victory, if you haven't yet. Both are like mandatory bat-reads, imho.
Oh yeah, I've read those probably three times already each. Tim Sale is one of the best artists at creating darks and shadows, which makes him perfect to draw Batman. :clap:
ShadowTuga wrote:A little advice on The New 52 trades: just remember to stay away from both "Detective" and "The Dark Knight" first TPBs/HCs. They are terrible, horrible pieces of trash. 'Tec gets fantastic right after Layman jumps in (ish 13), though. TDK is The bad book of the line, right now.
Wow, really? I was going to get them all except TDK, 'cause I don't care too much for Finch's art. I was going to get Detective though because I like Tony Daniel.
ShadowTuga wrote:We need a Batman thread. :thumb:
:high-five:

Is the Black Mirror as good as everyone says? I have yet to read that book. There's also a couple of Morrison's Batman books that I haven't read yet either.
I like it, very much, yes. That said, it's probably a bit over-hyped. :D
The title story it's a mystery tale, very well suited to 'tec. I actually prefer other stories from this run, but it's all good, imo. The art (by Jock and Francavilla) is really moody, and serves the script very well. Some twisted stuff in there.
I think the HC includes all of Snyder's run, so you're all good. :thumb:
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

erwinrafael
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Favorite character: Aram
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Pere Perez

Post by erwinrafael »

Hawkguy #7 is cool bro. And that letter in the letter column just made me feel sad.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

erwinrafael wrote:Hawkguy #7 is cool bro. And that letter in the letter column just made me feel sad.
Ok..... is Hawkguy the Aja book that I thought was called Hawkeye?

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Elveen wrote:
erwinrafael wrote:Hawkguy #7 is cool bro. And that letter in the letter column just made me feel sad.
I'm confused on this as well.

400yrs
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

lorddunlow wrote:
Elveen wrote:
I'm confused on this as well.

Bro, of course, it is, bro. Same book, bro.
ASM Crossover Home

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by pixierosa »

tetrisdork wrote:
Chiclo wrote:

The Apocalypse kid clone is named Evan. And he is still alive, currently a supporting character in Wolverine & the X-Men.

Avengers is not for me, although I've been more willing to try Hickman's creator-owned work than his Marvel stuff. Liked the first issues of Red Wing, Red Mass for Mars, and Manhattan Projects via Comixology. Also continuing to read Sixth Gun & Quantum and Woody via Comixology and enjoying both of them.
Actually, I was WTHing over the fact that they were kissing. I thought Cluster was supposed to be the "good" or more sensible brain. That's just...ick.
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by pixierosa »

Anyone else reading Morning Glories? I've only gotten through the first arc but I'm liking it.
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

So I tried Nowhere Men. Not sure why these are going for so much right now. It's good - bordering on just okay. I can see it going to a really good place, but right now it just seems like a rip off of Fringe (please no Fringe spoilers, please, as I'm only on season 2 - it has taken me forever to watch this show, but I love it, even though I average an episode every month). I'm going to keep up for another few issues, but I'll probably not keep reading unless it really takes off in quality.

I have Revival and Peter Panzerfaust waiting to read them, but I haven't had the time. I'm really enjoying the Avengers/New Avengers by Hickman. Maybe it's because I only have cursory Marvel Universe knowledge, but I really like both titles.

I keep falling asleep trying to read the Bedlam #2 (6 attempts now), so I think that's a sign that I don't need to bother with it. You would think something with material that sick would keep me interested, but I find I don't really connect with serial killers that much emotionally.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

pixierosa wrote:Anyone else reading Morning Glories? I've only gotten through the first arc but I'm liking it.
I picked up the first trade and started pre-ordering the monthly starting with issue 7 after hearing much good things about the Morning Glories (much like Saga). I eagerly read the trade and dropped it. I read the remaining issues that I pre-ordered and never bothered with it afterwards. The covers seem a bit skeevy to me, too.

tetrisdork

Post by tetrisdork »

pixierosa wrote:
tetrisdork wrote:
Chiclo wrote:

Actually, I was WTHing over the fact that they were kissing. I thought Cluster was supposed to be the "good" or more sensible brain. That's just...ick.
I'm not going into UXF v2 so I have no clue what is happening there, but I am about to enter the Remender volume via Comixology. Enjoyed the first 4 issues so far.

As for topics posted earlier: I did pick up the latest issue of TDK since it got a new artist in Ethan Van Schriver. It's alright (Mad Hatter is tiny and murderous; good layouts from EVS )and I don't know if I would get further issues, but it is the only Bat-book right now that isn't in the middle of some grand arc or costing $4/issue.

As for the "Hawkguy" referencing to get those up to speed: the son of Matt Fraction - Hawkeye's writer - pronounces the character as "Hawkguy". Fraction finds this funny and refers the book as Hawkguy in public places regularly.

erwinrafael
Favorite character: Aram
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Pere Perez

Post by erwinrafael »

tetrisdork wrote:As for the "Hawkguy" referencing to get those up to speed: the son of Matt Fraction - Hawkeye's writer - pronounces the character as "Hawkguy". Fraction finds this funny and refers the book as Hawkguy in public places regularly.
And now we have a loveable supporting cast member, a neighbor, who can not get Hawkeye's codename right and keeps on calling him Hawkguy. :)

Big Red
Valiant fan since: Before the Anni-Padda...
Favorite character: Divinity, X-O, & Bloodshot
Favorite title: Divinity
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by Big Red »

Batman & Robin is one of my favorite books.

Many months I find myself enjoying it more than the main Batman title. or any of the other Bat-books for that matter.
Favorite books: Black Hammer, Bloodshot, Divinity, Justice League Dark, Marvel Two-In-One, Thor.