What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by Elveen »

I am a BIG wheel of Time fan, so I started reading my WoT books. (I've read the New spring books by Dable, now on to the Dynamite stuff) I have just about the complete run.

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

400yrs wrote:Invincible 99 was meh. It's kind of just the stop-gap issue until 100. It's neat that every single page was a splash page, but the story didn't progress at all. The art wasn't that great either.
I wonder if Kirkman will have some character that nobody cares about suddenly shoved front and center as a potential new major, and introduced through the murder of a beloved veteran...then respond as flippantly to the readers as he did the last time. I'm pretty much done with that neckbeard.

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

:lol:

His beard is above his neck.
ASM Crossover Home

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

Elveen wrote:I am a BIG wheel of Time fan, so I started reading my WoT books. (I've read the New spring books by Dable, now on to the Dynamite stuff) I have just about the complete run.
They any good 'Veen?
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

myron wrote:
Elveen wrote:I am a BIG wheel of Time fan, so I started reading my WoT books. (I've read the New spring books by Dable, now on to the Dynamite stuff) I have just about the complete run.
They any good 'Veen?
If you are a WoT fan, yes. The New Spring tpb is real good. There
Are some letters and notes from Jordan on how he wanted
Things. Pretty interesting seeing Jordan make sure everything is
Visually the way he wanted it.

myron
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

Elveen wrote:
myron wrote:
They any good 'Veen?
kewl...might have to check them out...difficult to find?
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

myron wrote:
Elveen wrote:
myron wrote:
They any good 'Veen?
kewl...might have to check them out...difficult to find?
The New Spring TPB should be easy-ish (and worth it). The books, the early ones can be hard to find/expensive on ebay, it's take me a bit of time to get a run, but I got them one the cheap.

MrBigFeathas
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Gilad/Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by MrBigFeathas »

For anyone who reads Hellboy and BPRD, can you give me some insight on how I would go about reading them? I know there are 12 Hellboy TPBs and 14 BPRD TPBs (at least from what I've seen). I assume those are all in the correct order by volume but is there a certain point where BPRD should be read before certain Hellboy volumes? Are they self contained?

Do the Hardcovers include everything in the TPBs in the same order? They seem like better deals.

Also, where does Hellboy in Hell and BPRD Hell on Earth fit in? Right after each run of the main TPBs?

Thanks!
My Collection: http://comicbookdb.com/collection.php?ID=50094" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

MrBigFeathas wrote:For anyone who reads Hellboy and BPRD, can you give me some insight on how I would go about reading them? I know there are 12 Hellboy TPBs and 14 BPRD TPBs (at least from what I've seen). I assume those are all in the correct order by volume but is there a certain point where BPRD should be read before certain Hellboy volumes? Are they self contained?

Do the Hardcovers include everything in the TPBs in the same order? They seem like better deals.

Also, where does Hellboy in Hell and BPRD Hell on Earth fit in? Right after each run of the main TPBs?

Thanks!

Google Hellboy reading order and it is the first link that pops up.

MrBigFeathas
Favorite character: Gilad/Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by MrBigFeathas »

Elveen wrote:
MrBigFeathas wrote:For anyone who reads Hellboy and BPRD, can you give me some insight on how I would go about reading them? I know there are 12 Hellboy TPBs and 14 BPRD TPBs (at least from what I've seen). I assume those are all in the correct order by volume but is there a certain point where BPRD should be read before certain Hellboy volumes? Are they self contained?

Thanks!

Google Hellboy reading order and it is the first link that pops up.

Awesome, thanks
My Collection: http://comicbookdb.com/collection.php?ID=50094" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Big Red
Valiant fan since: Before the Anni-Padda...
Favorite character: Divinity, X-O, & Bloodshot
Favorite title: Divinity
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by Big Red »

Anybody reading Peter Panzerfaust?

I've heard good things and am considering getting the first trade.

Opinions?
Favorite books: Black Hammer, Bloodshot, Divinity, Justice League Dark, Marvel Two-In-One, Thor.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Big Red wrote:Anybody reading Peter Panzerfaust?

I've heard good things and am considering getting the first trade.

Opinions?

It's really good. I tried it in singles and didn't stick with it. I bought the first trade and it read much better that way. The story is pretty neat. Each arc is being told from the POV of a different character. It's an adventure / character book combined.

I love the art. Tyler Jenkins is a newcomer and this may be his first book. So there are a few spots where the layouts didn't quite work, but overall, the art is very nice and the flat colors look great.

Some of the covers are beautiful as well.
ASM Crossover Home

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Re-read Pride of Baghdad. Good stuff.

Daredevil 21 - This series is still good, but the freshness has definitely worn off. The scene with Superior Spidey was awesome.

Superior Spider-Man - This was fantastic. Slott can do no wrong. Go fatman!

Walking Dead 106 - Nothing happened here. This was a filler issue. Merp.
ASM Crossover Home

Carson
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by Carson »

400yrs wrote:Re-read Pride of Baghdad. Good stuff.
Pride of Bagdhad was so damn good. I teared up at the end. It is a mix of the Lion King and The Hurt Locker (in a really good way).

My brother is an Army Captain, and he's spent 18 months in Iraq.

I bought him the TPB for Christmas. Before he left, and at his request, I gave him a tutorial on how to read comics: Top to bottom, left to right, just like a normal book. Take time to soak up the art before moving on to the next set of words. Look for visual clues to flesh out the story. Think about what happens "in the gutter" in the time between panels.

I think I woulda made scott mcloud proud :-)
AKA "The Anti-Chartist: he who made Charty go Sharty"
---------------------
Valiant Fan # 2021
---------------------
G.I. Joe Fan #1
http://www.3DJoes.com

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

400yrs wrote:Re-read Pride of Baghdad. Good stuff.

Daredevil 21 - This series is still good, but the freshness has definitely worn off. The scene with Superior Spidey was awesome.

Superior Spider-Man - This was fantastic. Slott can do no wrong. Go fatman!

Walking Dead 106 - Nothing happened here. This was a filler issue. Merp.

IMO, PoB might be the BEST stand alone TPB I've ever read.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Comics I grabbed this week;

Shadowman #3 (duh!) - excellent issue. Will be re-reading many times.

Transformers: Regeneration One #87 - another fun issue, continues to touch on lots of old plots from the marvel run. Loving it for nostalgic reasons.

The Walking Dead #106 - good issue... I'm getting the impression Negan will be around longer than we all want him to be.

Star Wars #1 - I was really impressed by this, I didn't know it was coming out & bought it spur-of-the-moment. Cool era to have some new stories with original SW characters from the original film trilogy.

Swamp Thing #16 - haven't read yet.

Legend of Luther Strode #2 - haven't read yet.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Garfield #7-A very funny series that continues to be very funny.

The Superior Spider-Man #1-An OK debut but I'm still not 100% sold on Doc Ock's brain being in Peter Parker's body. It's an idea for a mini or maxi series, but not an ongoing series, I think that my statement of this being a PR book is really true especially with the end of the issue which has Peter Parker's ghost stoppping Ock from killing one of the members of the new Sinister Six, actually the Stupid Six would be a better name for these losers.

Up next The Transformers: Robots In Disguise #9-12
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Lightning Strike
Silent from '04 to '07, then he strikes!

Post by Lightning Strike »

Cyberstrike wrote:Garfield #7-A very funny series that continues to be very funny.

The Superior Spider-Man #1-An OK debut but I'm still not 100% sold on Doc Ock's brain being in Peter Parker's body. It's an idea for a mini or maxi series, but not an ongoing series, I think that my statement of this being a PR book is really true especially with the end of the issue which has Peter Parker's ghost stoppping Ock from killing one of the members of the new Sinister Six, actually the Stupid Six would be a better name for these losers.
See, I this is what makes me mad and why I hope nobody buys this garbage. Supposedly, Ock had Peter's essence imprinted in him, including his thoughts, memories, feelings and what mad him good. But in the very first issue, Ock is going to kill someone? And then when Peter returns (which we know he will), he'll be looked at as a killer. Stupid Marvel. DON'T BUY THE BOOK PEOPLE!

Lightning Strike

Post by Lightning Strike »

grendeljd wrote:Comics I grabbed this week;

The Walking Dead #106 - good issue... I'm getting the impression Negan will be around longer than we all want him to be.
What do you think Negan did to Carl?

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

I am loving these books. A must for any WoT fan.

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Lightning Strike wrote:
grendeljd wrote:Comics I grabbed this week;

What do you think Negan did to Carl?
I don't think he did anything. I think he decided the best punishment to Carl will be to do something to Rick. He can probably goad Rick into a rash action that will justify hurting him by lying about harming Carl - and as far as I'm concerned Rick has already made an irrational decision by blowing a huge tactical advantage and lost the element of surprise by going to Negans 'factory' unprepared.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Lightning Strike wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:Garfield #7-A very funny series that continues to be very funny.

See, I this is what makes me mad and why I hope nobody buys this garbage. Supposedly, Ock had Peter's essence imprinted in him, including his thoughts, memories, feelings and what mad him good. But in the very first issue, Ock is going to kill someone? And then when Peter returns (which we know he will), he'll be looked at as a killer. Stupid Marvel. DON'T BUY THE BOOK PEOPLE!
Wow, that sounds like an even more idiotic story than I expected, and I didn't expect much!

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

grendeljd wrote:
Lightning Strike wrote:

Wow, that sounds like an even more idiotic story than I expected, and I didn't expect much!

I like it. It's kind of like what Kirkman does in Invincible. Slott is almost making fun of the crazy fanboy readers by doing this. I think it's awesome and the story is good. :?
ASM Crossover Home

nutflush76
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Rai
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by nutflush76 »

400yrs wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
Lightning Strike wrote:

I like it. It's kind of like what Kirkman does in Invincible. Slott is almost making fun of the crazy fanboy readers by doing this. I think it's awesome and the story is good. :?
I actually like the story too. I haven't read Spider-Man for years before this story and came back because this story sounded interesting. Plus, I don't think it's the ghost of Parker, I think it's his consciousness. I also totally think that Ock would try to kill a badguy. He IS still a bad guy. Plus I think that Ock thinks Parker was stupid to let the villains, himself included, run around and cause trouble. His way would be to stop them. Permanently.

Big Red
Valiant fan since: Before the Anni-Padda...
Favorite character: Divinity, X-O, & Bloodshot
Favorite title: Divinity
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by Big Red »

400yrs wrote:
I liked it too.

:oops:
Favorite books: Black Hammer, Bloodshot, Divinity, Justice League Dark, Marvel Two-In-One, Thor.