The 1990s comic book fan confessional

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

erwinrafael
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Favorite character: Aram
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Pere Perez
The 1990s comic book fan confessional

Post by erwinrafael »

A lot of us grew up reading (and liking!) comic books in the 1990s, the decade of excess and gimmicks and in hindsight, not one of the best decades in terms of quality. BUT a lot of us ENJOYED it, so this thread is for us to share our guilty pleasures from the 1990s. DO NOT include the acknowledged good stuff like the Vertigo line, VH1, MARVELS, KINGDOM COME, Heroes Return, Joe Quesda, etc. Let's talk about how you got palpitations seeing your comic books in a sealed polybag. Or how you actually enjoyed the Deathmate crossover. Or how much you really liked Rob Liefeld art.

So I will start:

1. I liked GHOST RIDER/WOLVERINE/PUNISHER: Hearts of Darkness. It's the ultimate gimmick comic, forcing three of the most popular grim and gritty heroes of Marvel into a fight with the spawn of Mephisto. It screams machismo and violence in a plot that does not make a whole lot of sense. There's a wraparound gatefold cover (really widescreen!) half of which is occupied by generic demons. It's written by Howard Mackie. And looking back, the only redeeming quality in my more mature eyes is John Romita Jr.'s art. But I really enjoyed it. The cheesy ending did it for me:

2. I love the gimmick covers and I still do. Gatefold. Wraparound. Die cut (Wolverine 50!). Chromium. Embossed. Pop-up (Force Works #1, OMG what a stupid likeable cover!).

For some reason, I hated the foil covers. But hologram covers...they are the best! I liked the ones from Marvel that ran through the Spider-Man titles and the X-Men Fatal Attractions crossover.
Last edited by erwinrafael on Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:52:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slym2none
a typical message board assassin
Re: The 1990s comic book fan confessional

Post by slym2none »

Superman: Man Of Steel #30 - this came out while I was working at my LCS, and I had such fun making new fight scenes with this. I wasn't even buying Superman, but even the manager saw the 'art' in what I was doing, & he kept the book on the counter for me & other people to screw around with.

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

erwinrafael

Post by erwinrafael »

Awesome. And long-haired Superman with the bodybuilder physique and small head! :clap:

greatbrandino11
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek (Sting)
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by greatbrandino11 »

I loved (and still love) the Death of Superman and Knightfall storylines. I still go back and read my TPBs.
"When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth."

Xtianhardy
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1995
Favorite character: Pete Stanchek
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Xtianhardy »

When I was 10 years old, the only comics I wanted to read were these:

and to a lesser extent

The Maxx is still as weird as it ever was, and I am really enjoying David Hine's current run on The Darkness, but I haven't picked up a Spawn comic in probably more than 10 years.

Oh, and my favorite X-Men at the time were Gambit and CABLE, because it was the 90s.
"We are what we imagine ourselves to be" - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

erwinrafael

Post by erwinrafael »

Xtianhardy wrote:When I was 10 years old, the only comics I wanted to read were these:

OMG, I only noticed it now. The ego of McFarlane in full display. "AFTER ME"? LOL
Oh, and my favorite X-Men at the time were Gambit and CABLE, because it was the 90s.
In fairness, Gambit had a lot of potential then. If only they can tap the Fabian Nicieza/Steve Skroce-era Gambit, they could still rescue the character.

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

Awesome-tastic.

I have two copies of that Force Works cover - and tried to 'open' one of them - but ended up with a mess of tearing. I will try again to open it up later.

I have a run of Quasar, West Coast Avengers, and Force Works. Nothing quite wrong with loving the 'non-classics,' in addition to loving the classic Valiant, too.
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

I love my glow-in-the-dark Maxx comic. I was also obsessed with Gen13. This is going to be an embarrassing thread.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

greatbrandino11
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek (Sting)

Post by greatbrandino11 »

lorddunlow wrote:I love my glow-in-the-dark Maxx comic. I was also obsessed with Gen13. This is going to be an embarrassing thread.
The only real embarassing memory I have is wanting to pick up all the #1, #0, and Special issues of all Image and Post-Unity Valiant titles. I thought I was getting in early on a lot of new characters and storylines and hoped the titles would be worth a lot of money later in my life. What a *SQUEE* joke!
"When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth."

iwantvaliant

Post by iwantvaliant »

Peter David's Aquaman.
My podcast reviews the Valiant trades: http://vepodcast.wordpress.com/
And my timeline on the original Valiant Universe: http://valiantfans.com/vctimeline/

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

iwantvaliantcomics wrote:Peter David's Aquaman.
IMHO still the best run on Aquaman.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

I was a mega fan of the 90's Ghost Rider series - in contrast to the modern era of reboot/relaunching old properties, at the time I simply could not believe he was coming back into his own book. I bought 2 copies of the glow-in-the-dark cover.

Oh, and where is the line for those who bought extra copies of X-Men #1? I still have 20 copies... facepalm
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jedimarley
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.

Post by jedimarley »

Mark Waids Flash.

jedimarley
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.

Post by jedimarley »

slym2none wrote:Superman: Man Of Steel #30 - this came out while I was working at my LCS, and I had such fun making new fight scenes with this. I wasn't even buying Superman, but even the manager saw the 'art' in what I was doing, & he kept the book on the counter for me & other people to screw around with.

-slym
Were those stickers, colorforms, or prestomajic?

hulk181man
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite writer: Warren Ellis

Post by hulk181man »

jedimarley wrote:
slym2none wrote:Superman: Man Of Steel #30 - this came out while I was working at my LCS, and I had such fun making new fight scenes with this. I wasn't even buying Superman, but even the manager saw the 'art' in what I was doing, & he kept the book on the counter for me & other people to screw around with.

-slym
I bought that issue too although I didn't normally buy Supes. Grew up enjoying prestomagic & colorforms and found that gimmick rather neat. Can't remember which they were....

Btw, I also admit to originally liking Rob Liefeld art and was a big fan of Cable, should pads and all :oops: :oops:
"Did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts...?"

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

jedimarley wrote:

I'd guess colorforms. No adhesive, slick-shiny cover and vinyl-type "stickers" you could take off and re-apply.

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

nutflush76
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Rai
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by nutflush76 »

slym2none wrote:
jedimarley wrote:

I'd guess colorforms. No adhesive, slick-shiny cover and vinyl-type "stickers" you could take off and re-apply.

-slym
I have a sealed copy of this that I just came across in my storage unit a few weeks ago. I'm torn as to open it or not. Especially since I know my kids will just lose all the stickers. Sucks that it's long haired supes though.

I loved the Gimmick covers. Ghost Rider #13 with the Glow-in-the-dark cover, Silver Surfer #50 with the foil embossed cover, also Eclipso #1 with that plastic Gem over his eye! (didn't like that as much as the others though)

I also remember having multiple copies of Venom Lethal protector #1 because I thought it was gonna be worth a TON of money.

Oh and the Superman sticker book reminds me of the Lobo Paramilitary Christmas special. I still laugh at that book til this day!

It was apparently adapted to a film as well according to IMDB;
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0353672/

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator
using a Welsh to American translator

Post by ian_house »

jedimarley wrote:
Mark Waids Flash.
These are both too good to be discussed here! :lol:

erwinrafael

Post by erwinrafael »

ian_house wrote:
jedimarley wrote:
Mark Waids Flash.
These are both too good to be discussed here! :lol:
Yes! Tell us things that are REALLY WORTHy of a confession! :p

Bone-A-Fach-ee
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: '92
Favorite character: Tony Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger/Imperium
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

I'm pretty sure I collected the entire Ultraverse. Yep. Now, off the top of my head, there was Mantra, Prime, Exiles, The Solution, The Strangers, Hard Case, Sludge. I had them all.
facepalm

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Bone-A-Fach-ee wrote:I'm pretty sure I collected the entire Ultraverse. Yep. Now, off the top of my head, there was Mantra, Prime, Exiles, The Solution, The Strangers, Hard Case, Sludge. I had them all.
facepalm
I loved Prime and the rest of the Ultraverse. Was Freex published by Ultraverse? I remember having a digital comic on CDROM of Freex #1 - I still have it.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

lorddunlow wrote:
Bone-A-Fach-ee wrote:I'm pretty sure I collected the entire Ultraverse. Yep. Now, off the top of my head, there was Mantra, Prime, Exiles, The Solution, The Strangers, Hard Case, Sludge. I had them all.
facepalm
I loved Prime and the rest of the Ultraverse. Was Freex published by Ultraverse? I remember having a digital comic on CDROM of Freex #1 - I still have it.
CD-ROMIX! From where I sit, I can see Hard Case, Freex and Prime.

I have all the Ultraverse books too. Most of the variants to go with them.

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

Comics Greatest World 1st issues, $1 each and a new one every week!

-slym

nutflush76
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Rai
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by nutflush76 »

lorddunlow wrote:
facepalm
Oh yeah, I had a bunch of Ultraverse!

Spylocke
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 1993

Post by Spylocke »

Would Alan Moore's run on Wildcats fit? It was a terrific run (I'm sure Moore doesn't consider it such) and really opened up my eyes about what a good writer could do.

I was rather fond of Thunderstrike since Masterson was the Thor I recognized when I read my dads Avengers comics.

I know he embodied quite a few tropes, mysterious, from the furture and uses big guns but I liked Bishop a whole lot. I think because I hadn't been reading comics long and suddenly there is this guy who knows stuff but seems totally confused. Him, along with Spylocke, was my first taste of anti-heroes.
I tried to get every issue he appeared in and any mini series he might star in. I still have his ongoing series that fizzled out.

Maybe this wasn't quite a confessional so here is this: To this day I'm still rather fond of the 90's way super heroes would wear leather jackets over their spandex.
Last edited by Spylocke on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:41:33 am, edited 1 time in total.