Discuss Hard To Find Or Currently Hot Comics Of Any Era

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham
Re: Discuss Hard To Find Or Currently Hot Modern Comics

Post by 400yrs »

GGSAE wrote:
400yrs wrote:
GGSAE wrote:
400yrs wrote:It is people reading the first trade and realizing they want the singles. Lots of people read the series in trade for the first time. It sold very heavily.

Seeing what is going on with Saga further emphasizes my disappointment that the x-o trade only sold 2k.
I recall you saying that Saga's books would be limited by the print run, and I still believe that. First print up to around $100 raw now. As much praise as this book has received, it's still got what, a 30k print or so for the first issue? I think out of all the real hot image titles, the only ones with low (under 10k) print runs in the beginning are PP and Revival. I might be wrong on that, but I think that's where those numbers lie...
Saga is about 35K. Revival is more like 17K-18K like BTE said.

I still think Saga should be limited by it's print run as well. The book steadily rose to about $35 and then took off after the trade came out. IMO, the $100 price it's at right now will drop back to around $50 and it will slowly rise again.

This book has surprised the hell out of me sales-wise, but it's really, really excellent and has maintained that and BKV probably will be able to maintain that so nothing can really surprise me going forward. This book is really something special. Even moreso than I thought when I first heard about it. That's why I ordered a bunch when it first came out.
Duly noted. I think I should go grab the other first prints that are lying around at the different LCS I visit...they seem to be selling really well on ebay...

Definitely. I picked up a few #4s and #5s a week or two ago. Even #7 is doing well. Some people are content to just go with the trade for the first 6 and then start with singles on issue #7..... Similar to the TWD #49 phenomenon.
ASM Crossover Home

GGSAE
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.

Post by GGSAE »

400yrs wrote:
GGSAE wrote:
400yrs wrote:
GGSAE wrote:
400yrs wrote:It is people reading the first trade and realizing they want the singles. Lots of people read the series in trade for the first time. It sold very heavily.

Seeing what is going on with Saga further emphasizes my disappointment that the x-o trade only sold 2k.
I recall you saying that Saga's books would be limited by the print run, and I still believe that. First print up to around $100 raw now. As much praise as this book has received, it's still got what, a 30k print or so for the first issue? I think out of all the real hot image titles, the only ones with low (under 10k) print runs in the beginning are PP and Revival. I might be wrong on that, but I think that's where those numbers lie...
Saga is about 35K. Revival is more like 17K-18K like BTE said.

I still think Saga should be limited by it's print run as well. The book steadily rose to about $35 and then took off after the trade came out. IMO, the $100 price it's at right now will drop back to around $50 and it will slowly rise again.

This book has surprised the hell out of me sales-wise, but it's really, really excellent and has maintained that and BKV probably will be able to maintain that so nothing can really surprise me going forward. This book is really something special. Even moreso than I thought when I first heard about it. That's why I ordered a bunch when it first came out.
Duly noted. I think I should go grab the other first prints that are lying around at the different LCS I visit...they seem to be selling really well on ebay...

Definitely. I picked up a few #4s and #5s a week or two ago. Even #7 is doing well. Some people are content to just go with the trade for the first 6 and then start with singles on issue #7..... Similar to the TWD #49 phenomenon.
Looks like I should have grabbed those issues at the first LCS, they were gone today.....probably someone here from the boards...Lee... :P I grabbed Image first Saga 1 and the second print Saga 2, so at least now I can read the damn things and see what the hype is about.
I did grab a bunch of PPs since they were at cover, 5,6s,7s, and another 8.

cjv
A Valiant Vision-ary
A Valiant Vision-ary
Valiant fan since: Shadowman #1
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Shadowman (VH1)

Post by cjv »

I wanted to get the new Star Wars, but I forgot. :(

Even though I am getting Saga, for some reason I don't have issue 7. Guess I will have to order the reprint.

Chris

Phantom..
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Location: The Royal Valiant Fans thank Dino and Svair for their kindness!

Post by Phantom.. »

Same here.
Issue 7 is missing from my collection.
I purchased the reprint on friday (I think it was released last wednesday :thumb: ).
With all the kerfuffle about not reprinting this issue I am they did.

Currently Hot and modern comics ~ the variants of the spiderman 700 in the UK have taken a dive.
Noticed that their is more interest in spiderman 15.1 than issue one of the new spiderman.

Of the spiderman books mentioned above ~ I enjoyed 15.1 the most. So maybe it is only my perception of events (not a spidy reader ~ not since Todds run).
Anyone else notice 15.1 sold out and not available ?

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

Phantom.. wrote:Same here.
Issue 7 is missing from my collection.
I purchased the reprint on friday (I think it was released last wednesday :thumb: ).
With all the kerfuffle about not reprinting this issue I am they did.

Currently Hot and modern comics ~ the variants of the spiderman 700 in the UK have taken a dive.
Noticed that their is more interest in spiderman 15.1 than issue one of the new spiderman.

Of the spiderman books mentioned above ~ I enjoyed 15.1 the most. So maybe it is only my perception of events (not a spidy reader ~ not since Todds run).
Anyone else notice 15.1 sold out and not available ?
15.1 spiked in price immediately upon release on eBay.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

carter3175

Post by carter3175 »

Hard to Find HOT Modern Comic

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Peter-Panzerfau ... 4d091964f6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

'nuff said

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

carter3175 wrote:Hard to Find HOT Modern Comic

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Peter-Panzerfau ... 4d091964f6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

'nuff said
That's crazy, those PP books have gone to the moon...

nutflush76
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Rai
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by nutflush76 »

GGSAE wrote:
carter3175 wrote:Hard to Find HOT Modern Comic

'nuff said
That's crazy, those PP books have gone to the moon...
Just wow.

Phantom..

Post by Phantom.. »

Are we looking at another speculation bubble?
Seems books are up more than the last 10 years.

Variant release in the month or their after aside, are prices climbing for prices sake? ( if that makes sence, as in speculation?)

Just seems comics is on the up, yet I do not perceive alot of new readers in the market.

Savr posted a fantastic video of valiant trying to promote people to get interested in comics with the Luge team News report ( brilliant btw - a fantastic valiant effort - harby 8 ref). I think it a brilliant idea, and I hope it gets their name out. But this has not effected the bubble.

I watch the stock market alot. As in alot. I read financial papers only, and also invest. ( not so much at the moment due to other commitments). Over the last 20 years you recall trends, and research allows greater understanding.

I do understand that comics are not shares. Their is personal attachment and emotion linked to purchase.

But as a friend once said about comics - if you wait long enough most current books can be brought for £1. If their is any your really want that have rocked up in price, wait, it will drop. All the money you saved you can buy the individual issue at the higher price and still save money over all.

Nb - I buy all valiant at cover, to support the company.

So do you think the prices are over inflated at the moment?

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I don't see that we're in any sort of bubble on back issue prices on modern comics. What would crash? Back issues of Walking Dead and a relatively few other titles and specific back issues? Even if Walking Dead and a (relatively) few other comics drop drastically in price, that wouldn't be an industry wide crash on modern back issue prices. It would be highly localized. Some back issues are surging in price now and have surged in price recently, but I think it's a case of relatively specific individual books or runs, and nothing close to being widespread.
For a comic book back issue price crash to occur that we could look back upon as having been a bubble, I think you'd probably need far more widespread price increases than we've seen, and on far more books, and possibly an overbought speculator market to be in play, and I don't believe either of those criteria are close to having been met. With increased competition of comic book sellers on the internet making it tough to raise prices on modern back issues except on specific comics, I think prices of most recent modern comic books have been kept well in check. It might seem like a lot of modern comic books have been surging in price, but I think that's actually happening on a relatively low percentage of newer books.
In my opinion the pieces are not in place for any sort of bubble to burst on comic book back issue prices.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

The one thing I can say about a majority of the books that have spiked in price is that they are all quality books. Are WD and Chew books "to high" in price? Maybe, but they are excellent products.

I believe that a majority of Image books get hype when they first come out, often due to smallish print runs. The quality books go up, the others after a time, not so much.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

Seems to me like there is a lot of "emotional" bidding on some of the newer Image stuff ... things that just rocket up in price from one week to the next. Have to see where it settles before we can know it's a bubble but something doesn't feel right.

Then again that is just the nature of comics on eBay. Look at the crazy prices for that Ditko Spidey 700 variant. You were a fool if you paid big bucks the week it came out. And there were a lot of fools. Almost everything tends to settle.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

depluto wrote:Seems to me like there is a lot of "emotional" bidding on some of the newer Image stuff ... things that just rocket up in price from one week to the next. Have to see where it settles before we can know it's a bubble but something doesn't feel right.

Then again that is just the nature of comics on eBay. Look at the crazy prices for that Ditko Spidey 700 variant. You were a fool if you paid big bucks the week it came out. And there were a lot of fools. Almost everything tends to settle.
That's why I'm waiting to pull the trigger on a Manhattan Projects #1. The prices right now can't hold up. $80 is just too much for a book that new.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Elveen
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

lorddunlow wrote:
depluto wrote:Seems to me like there is a lot of "emotional" bidding on some of the newer Image stuff ... things that just rocket up in price from one week to the next. Have to see where it settles before we can know it's a bubble but something doesn't feel right.

That's why I'm waiting to pull the trigger on a Manhattan Projects #1. The prices right now can't hold up. $80 is just too much for a book that new.

I would agree on most modern books. But I was the guy that told John and Rob that I'd pass on a $30 Chew 1st print double signed by both of them.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Elveen wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:

I would agree on most modern books. But I was the guy that told John and Rob that I'd pass on a $30 Chew 1st print double signed by both of them.
:facepalm:
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Phantom..

Post by Phantom.. »

Spidy variants of 700 went so high in the first week in the uk. I watched £44-£50 sales on what I call the skyline variant, last time I looked it was an easy find at £10 ( maybe prices have changed since then again.)

Draco always said wait and they become reasonable. I brought a qr xo at £30? I saw it on eBay £10 no bids a week ago - relisted at £7.50 this week ( I brought it - but wonder how low it would go?) solid nm. That is the passing of 9 months- but you get the idea.

Maybe my bubble is more monthly variant madness.

I suppose shop owners could comment best - anyone buying multiple issues?
Back in the day - when I worked in a comic shop - 1 person ordering 10 issues every image issuue 1! Alot of people buying more than one copy of issue 1 or key books even if that was not a title they collected.
I remember was told NOT to explain basic supply and demand to the customers. If everyone has 10 issues and you try and sell 9 their will be a problem.

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

Variants are like IPOS in stocks, then tend to get over inflated as euphoric buying shoots the price skyward, then it quickly falls down a few weeks later. The coveted ones stay where they are, or gradually increase in time...I had a long chat with my LCS owner last night, as I was thinking of ordering the valiants to grab the upcoming shadowman grampa variant. Basically, it just wasn't viable for him to do this as he was ordering around ten copies of each title (give or take a few +/-), and his sister store/other location is about the same. He said combined they're in the top 5% of of diamond orders, but he didn't specify how he ranked in Valiant ordering.

bigeyedfish
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?

Post by bigeyedfish »

Looks like Mind MGMT is starting to take off with the announcement that the movie rights were sold.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mind-Mgmt-1-Mat ... 1e76cb7693" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

bigeyedfish wrote:Looks like Mind MGMT is starting to take off with the announcement that the movie rights were sold.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mind-Mgmt-1-Mat ... 1e76cb7693" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Interesting. Good find. :thumb:

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

Go go gadget Mind MGMT!

iggy101us
I bought my first comics at Kwik-E-Mart
I bought my first comics at Kwik-E-Mart

Post by iggy101us »

I was hoping for Mind the Gap :!:

cjv
A Valiant Vision-ary
A Valiant Vision-ary

Post by cjv »

I got the first two or three issues of Mind MGMT but I didn't like it (too stylized for me).

vikingspawn

Post by vikingspawn »

Next week's StarWars #1 2nd print is already getting allocated in some shops.

:hm:

Dr. Solar
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

cjv wrote:I got the first two or three issues of Mind MGMT but I didn't like it (too stylized for me).
I'd be happy to take them off your hands :twisted:

cjv
A Valiant Vision-ary
A Valiant Vision-ary

Post by cjv »

The comics I started with when I restarted buying comics last summer (Valiant brought me back) were Saga, Mind MGMT, Mind the Gap, Massive, Manhattan Projects, and Revival. Along with Valiant, Walking Dead, and Invincible.