Saga

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

tarheelmarine
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Jim Calafiore
Re: Saga

Post by tarheelmarine »

So attempting to get this back on track.

My shipment arrived and Saga was the first book to be read. What did you guys think?

SPOILERS:

Marko's dad has one month to live, and with parents selling their house it appears everyone will be living in the tree for awhile.

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

And just to derail the thread a bit again. I picked up the trade at a Barnes & Noble randomly when I was on vacation so I had something to read on the plane. Turns out it is a 1st print. I heard that some of these were selling kinda high and saw one for $71 :o Do people seriously collect TPBs like that? :? Cause if so, I'm willing to sell high and buy a reprinting for re-read later :lol:
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

BugsySig wrote:And just to derail the thread a bit again. I picked up the trade at a Barnes & Noble randomly when I was on vacation so I had something to read on the plane. Turns out it is a 1st print. I heard that some of these were selling kinda high and saw one for $71 :o Do people seriously collect TPBs like that? :? Cause if so, I'm willing to sell high and buy a reprinting for re-read later :lol:

I think you mis-saw that. Maybe if it was the Midtown with the 2 sigs and cert. Otherwise, it's not selling for more than it should.
ASM Crossover Home

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

400yrs wrote:
BugsySig wrote:And just to derail the thread a bit again. I picked up the trade at a Barnes & Noble randomly when I was on vacation so I had something to read on the plane. Turns out it is a 1st print. I heard that some of these were selling kinda high and saw one for $71 :o Do people seriously collect TPBs like that? :? Cause if so, I'm willing to sell high and buy a reprinting for re-read later :lol:

I think you mis-saw that. Maybe if it was the Midtown with the 2 sigs and cert. Otherwise, it's not selling for more than it should.
Haha. Yeah, I went back and it was listed as Vol 1, but it was Issue 1 (which I guess is going for that price or more). Oh well, and here I was thinking this random purchase might pay for my VALIANT books for the next 2-3 months :D

Phantom..
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Location: The Royal Valiant Fans thank Dino and Svair for their kindness!

Post by Phantom.. »

tarheelmarine wrote:So attempting to get this back on track.

My shipment arrived and Saga was the first book to be read. What did you guys think?

SPOILERS:

Marko's dad has one month to live, and with parents selling their house it appears everyone will be living in the tree for awhile.

Really enjoyed it. I like the interaction between the parents and son wife. Like the direction of the book, I feel interested and want more. :thumb:

MarrowMan
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: ShadowMan
Favorite title: ShadowMan
Favorite writer: Dysart, Jordan

Post by MarrowMan »

I bought Saga #1 (first Print) back when it first came out on the off chance it might be good. Heh boy has it ever gotten good, I can't believe what prices #1 is going for.

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

MarrowMan wrote:I bought Saga #1 (first Print) back when it first came out on the off chance it might be good. Heh boy has it ever gotten good, I can't believe what prices #1 is going for.
hopefully it's got some staying power, if the story stays tight it should
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

myron wrote:
MarrowMan wrote:I bought Saga #1 (first Print) back when it first came out on the off chance it might be good. Heh boy has it ever gotten good, I can't believe what prices #1 is going for.
hopefully it's got some staying power, if the story stays tight it should
I read that a Chew #1 just went for $1k...so, yeah Saga should continue to go up if it stays consistent.

GGSAE
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.

Post by GGSAE »

llkeithll wrote:I kind of want to get into this series from the reviews but the books are already pretty expensive to buy into first editions.
I've managed to grab first prints in two separate transactions of issues 3-8 for cover, and I saw a closed ebay lot auction that finished at $20 which included both first and second print. I'll probably grab image first so I can read the issue and see what all the fuss is about.

llkeithll
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Gilad Anni-Padda
Favorite title: Eternal Warrior

Post by llkeithll »

GGSAE wrote:
llkeithll wrote:I kind of want to get into this series from the reviews but the books are already pretty expensive to buy into first editions.
I've managed to grab first prints in two separate transactions of issues 3-8 for cover, and I saw a closed ebay lot auction that finished at $20 which included both first and second print. I'll probably grab image first so I can read the issue and see what all the fuss is about.
If you see anymore let me know, I am not seeing much for reasonable prices.

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

llkeithll wrote:
GGSAE wrote:
If you see anymore let me know, I am not seeing much for reasonable prices.
I could, but shipping from Canada would negate any deal you might find online...

llkeithll

Post by llkeithll »

Gotcha, I am getting the TPB and then 7,8,9. I would like to get 1-6 in comic book eventually.

tarheelmarine

Post by tarheelmarine »

llkeithll wrote:Gotcha, I am getting the TPB and then 7,8,9. I would like to get 1-6 in comic book eventually.
Only thing you would be missing is the letters column, and while I usually like letters columns I could do without the one in this comic.

llkeithll

Post by llkeithll »

I have managed to get 1,2,3,7,8,9 all in comic form for cover price, just need 4,5,6.

Was able to get them all, no first prints, but all good.

tarheelmarine

Post by tarheelmarine »

llkeithll wrote:I have managed to get 1,2,3,7,8,9 all in comic form for cover price, just need 4,5,6.

Was able to get them all, no first prints, but all good.
Ok, so after number 8 I take back what I said about the letter column. Getting to read about Fiona's digital art process was cool.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

tarheelmarine wrote:Ok, so after number 8 I take back what I said about the letter column. Getting to read about Fiona's digital art process was cool.
:thumb: That was really cool!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

myron
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

thought 8 and 9 really were well done, not that the earlier ones weren't, but just really good, solid writing and art.
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by pixierosa »

Saga #10! I thought it was a very, very good book. Don't want to give spoilers, but.... Oh how I hate Gwendolyn. I never really considered myself a love story sort of girl, but I do love this couple and the "saga". Familiar and relatable to our times (love, racial warefare, etc). I like Fiona Staples' style, too.
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

Phantom
I will call my mum and ask what the *SQUEE* is going on.
Location: I would rather be under the stars in a tent, or on a park bench.

Post by Phantom »

Did you download it?
Was wondering how you got it, even before the shops in the uk have opened today.
Or Let me guess - you in in Australia or nz?
I wish their was a Spinal Tap comic, and I had a copy CGC graded at 11.

grendeljd
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

pixierosa wrote:Saga #10! I thought it was a very, very good book. Don't want to give spoilers, but.... Oh how I hate Gwendolyn. I never really considered myself a love story sort of girl, but I do love this couple and the "saga". Familiar and relatable to our times (love, racial warefare, etc). I like Fiona Staples' style, too.
10 was awesome!! What a crazy cliffhanger ending! I really love the cover image, and I agree 100% - Fiona has a fantastic style. So perfectly suited to this book. I couldn't imagine the story being half as good in any other style. :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by pixierosa »

Phantom wrote:Did you download it?
Was wondering how you got it, even before the shops in the uk have opened today.
It came out last week, just hadn't gotten around to writing about it here. It's my favorite non-Valiant title.

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by pixierosa »

grendeljd wrote:
pixierosa wrote:Saga #10! I thought it was a very, very good book. Don't want to give spoilers, but.... Oh how I hate Gwendolyn. I never really considered myself a love story sort of girl, but I do love this couple and the "saga". Familiar and relatable to our times (love, racial warefare, etc). I like Fiona Staples' style, too.
10 was awesome!! What a crazy cliffhanger ending! I really love the cover image, and I agree 100% - Fiona has a fantastic style. So perfectly suited to this book. I couldn't imagine the story being half as good in any other style. :thumb:

I agree! I saw a cover of a title she had done with Steve Niles - you can spot her style easily, and it was like looking at earlier versions of Alana and Marko. Can't recall the title but it was something along the lines of "miss mystery" me thinks, which sounds like something I'd like.

Phantom
Location: I would rather be under the stars in a tent, or on a park bench.

Post by Phantom »

pixierosa wrote:
Phantom wrote:Did you download it?
It came out last week, just hadn't gotten around to writing about it here. It's my favorite non-Valiant title.

:? uk only got it today :hm: maybe just Forbidden planet.

Loved it BTW. first page was fun.
I wish their was a Spinal Tap comic, and I had a copy CGC graded at 11.

caniac
the hole just keeps getting deeper
the hole just keeps getting deeper
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti

Post by caniac »

Great issue. This is my favorite comic out (and has the best writing) now aside from XO Manowar and Harbiner.

Savant
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Savant »

nutflush76 wrote:I read the trade and thought "meh". But it was still interesting enough to keep going. I picked up issues 7 and 8 and I am glad I did. The interaction with Marko's parents has been great so far.
So it gets better?

I felt the same way you did after reading the trade. After reading it, I didn't get what all the hype's about. It's OK, but didn't feel noteworthy, and it's nothing close to being the "best of 2012" from my perspective.......Hell, I was on the fence on trying out the second tpb when it's released, just to give the title another chance.