FREE #1's ON COMIXOLOGY!

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

the1captain
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
FREE #1's ON COMIXOLOGY!

Post by the1captain »

http://www.comixology.com/Valiant-Free- ... ured/14090" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All the new series and some old series #1's are free on comixology. I know most, if not all, of us have these issues one way or another. But if we post this link on other comics forums maybe so other people might give the new Valiant a try. I already posted it on comicbookpage.com's forum.

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Re: FREE #1's ON COMIXOLOGY!

Post by hawkeyeps »

Posted on CBR, thanks for the link.

Make it happen captain :thumb:

tetrisdork
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by tetrisdork »

I still had comics I didn't have, like VH1 A&A, Shadowman, & Harbinger and VEI X-O despite having the issue physically and in trade. But I am spreading on Twitter and soon on Tumblr.

cavemold
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.

Post by cavemold »

Got blood shot, and harbinger

stp1503
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill

Post by stp1503 »

Just downloaded all the Valiant books. Also read Thief of thieves and Invincible for the first time. Loved both.

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

Wow! Being new to Valiant, I'm going to read all of them right now! :D
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

I need to try and download these on my tablet if they are still available later tonight. I wouldn't buy digital comics, but I'm interested in trying them out if they're free. Don't think I'll like them as much but we'll see.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

Phoenix8008

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Well, I went and downloaded all the #1's they had. And... I didn't want to like them as much as I do. facepalm

Using the 'guided view' or whatever they call it, zooming from frame to frame with the focus flowing from character to character and then pulling out to the grand vista shots. It's pretty darn cool. I'm not ready to give up on my paper copies by any means. But I can see the appeal in reading the comics in this format. It is much more dynamic. I guess I'll always be paper first, but if I had the money, I'd do both and enjoy being able to carry around my comic collection in one hand. As long as I still have my paper copies in case my computer fails.
Viva la Valiant!

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by pixierosa »

I like the format a lot, too. I absolutely love having the published books and will always pick that first, BUT I would like to have a digital copy just to make re-reading easier. Keep my print copy protected and be able to easily read whatever digitally, as well as zoom in on details...

I can't afford the splurge of buying both versions. I don't want them to raise the price on a standard issue just to get the free digital code (ala Marvel Now). Really wish that Valiant offered a 99 cent deal for people who purchased the print copy. I would do that in a heartbeat.
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

I absolutely prefer digital, and I do like Comixology's guided view. That's Comixology's only positives, however. I buy print and either scan manually and make my own digital or download other's scans. Essentially the same way music was consumed before the advent of iTunes/Amazon/etc. That's the problem right now, there's no competition for Comixology. My main gripe is that you literally have nothing to show for what you pay. You don't even have the digital rights to a copy of the comic you purchased outright. You pay for a license which in their TOS is stated as revokable at any time by either Comixology or the publisher. I don't buy into this business model unless it's unlimited (like Spotify or Netflix). Purchasing a la carte has the implication that you are paying to own something.

I also prefer the functionality and sorting of my comic reading app. Not to mention how much faster and versatile it is. I can scrape ComicVine's site and get all of the metadata about every issue. Edit: I forgot to mention that with this metadata embedded in each comic book file, I can sort by not only series/publisher/etc., but I can sort by story arc, artist, writer, or even bring up every book that has an appearance by a certain character (as long as somebody has entered that info into ComicVine's database - which is user editable - it's fun to contribute). You can't do that on Comixology!

I am also into comics very much for the collectible nature, of which digital does not allow. Therefore, I will consume in this manner until they stop printing comics (hopefully never - but that's unrealistic). I really wish they just made the DRM-free .cbz file available for any comic you purchased in print.

However, seeing that traditional publishing is still having growing pains/DRM issues/price fixing problems when it is much further into the process with much higher saturation in the market, I don't see digital comics being streamlined and ideal until many years down the road. Just look how long it took to get record companies to realize that DRM free MP3s were the way to go.

I would like to point out that I do not condone piracy in any way. I purchase all of the comics for which I convert/obtain digital copies of.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Chris Campbell
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by Chris Campbell »

I shared this with a lot of people. Even the one guy on our podcast who doesn't want to give Valiant a try ended up downloading. Nice
Valiant Podcast available on iTunes, Stitcher, and by direct download at Taylor Network

Phoenix8008

Post by Phoenix8008 »

I spreading the word on Reddit!
Viva la Valiant!

nutflush76
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite title: Rai
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti

Post by nutflush76 »

I got all the #1's today!

I like digital comics, but I can't stand the fact that they want you to pay the same amount as you would if you bought them in print. I know you can get them cheaper later, but why should I have to wait?

I have bought a couple of digital books. One was A-babies Vs. X-babies. My kids read their copy to pieces and I bought the digital copy so I wouldn't have to keep getting them a new paper copy. They still read it from time to time.

The only other book I have bought (I guess paid for would be a better choice of words since I have a bunch of freebies) digitally is the thief of Thieves trade. I was able to get this before the print copy was released and since the back issue prices are insane on this book, it was easier and cheaper this way.

I could see possibly ditching TPBs in favor of digital in the future.

As for individual comics, I am a collector and digital just won't satisfy me the same as an actual funnybook in my hands.
pixierosa wrote: I can't afford the splurge of buying both versions. I don't want them to raise the price on a standard issue just to get the free digital code (ala Marvel Now). Really wish that Valiant offered a 99 cent deal for people who purchased the print copy. I would do that in a heartbeat.
They didn't raise the price a dollar for the print books in Marvel now. Marvel books have been $3.99 for about 3 years now. In fact, some of the Marvel now books are actually $2.99. I didn't think any Marvel book was $2.99 anymore.

DC gives you the option to buy a "Combo Pack" for $1.00 more. This is a comic with a digital code in it. The problem is that the book comes bagged and you have to open it. Thus destroying any collectible value of the book.

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Marvel has some $2.99 books mixed in. Hawkeye, for example, has been $2.99 since it launched.

Trades can be a pretty good deal on Comixology. There are several Image collections that are $5.99-$9.99 including Chew, Saga, Manhattan Projects and Prophet. Dark Horse Presents at the DH Digital Store is a fraction of the cover price, as well, and is a great buy.

I hate paying cover price for digital books, but I don't buy floppies anymore and can't wait for VALIANT books. I wait on all others for the price reduction.

I really think they need to offer digital subscriptions. Either a package of titles for one month at a discount, or one title over 6 or 12 months at a discount. I would happily pay $35.99 for 12 months of Harbinger for example, or $14.99 for all 5 VALIANT titles in a month...the equivalent of $2.99/book.

nutflush76
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by nutflush76 »

BugsySig wrote: I really think they need to offer digital subscriptions. Either a package of titles for one month at a discount, or one title over 6 or 12 months at a discount. I would happily pay $35.99 for 12 months of Harbinger for example, or $14.99 for all 5 VALIANT titles in a month...the equivalent of $2.99/book.
Other than my gut, I have no basis for this opinion. But I think that the publishers are fighting tooth and nail against digital as much as possible. Much the same way that the record industry and movie industry fight the transition to digital. I think the publishers don't want to let Comixology get too big like Netflix did. A lot of the current Netflix problems with pricing etc. are a direct result of the movie studios fighting to keep Netflix at a size they feel comfortable with. Currently, the only way to see some movies is to either buy them outright, or pay for on-demand.

I think they see digital as a threat to all floppy books and they don't really know how to exist in both worlds. I believe that, eventually, digital books will replace newsstand books. But I don't think that this will be the death of the Direct market. Newsstand buyers are comic book readers, while Direct Market buyers are comic book collectors. (of course we still read the books too. Mostly)

Once the publishers figure this out, I think that is how the landscape will shake out. Remember, Disney and Warner bros. are the same guys who are fighting against online distribution in movies and music too.

nutflush76
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by nutflush76 »

BugsySig wrote:Marvel has some $2.99 books mixed in. Hawkeye, for example, has been $2.99 since it launched.
I wonder how long Hawkeye will stay that way?

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

nutflush76 wrote:
BugsySig wrote: I really think they need to offer digital subscriptions. Either a package of titles for one month at a discount, or one title over 6 or 12 months at a discount. I would happily pay $35.99 for 12 months of Harbinger for example, or $14.99 for all 5 VALIANT titles in a month...the equivalent of $2.99/book.
Other than my gut, I have no basis for this opinion. But I think that the publishers are fighting tooth and nail against digital as much as possible. Much the same way that the record industry and movie industry fight the transition to digital. I think the publishers don't want to let Comixology get too big like Netflix did. A lot of the current Netflix problems with pricing etc. are a direct result of the movie studios fighting to keep Netflix at a size they feel comfortable with. Currently, the only way to see some movies is to either buy them outright, or pay for on-demand.

I think they see digital as a threat to all floppy books and they don't really know how to exist in both worlds. I believe that, eventually, digital books will replace newsstand books. But I don't think that this will be the death of the Direct market. Newsstand buyers are comic book readers, while Direct Market buyers are comic book collectors. (of course we still read the books too. Mostly)

Once the publishers figure this out, I think that is how the landscape will shake out. Remember, Disney and Warner bros. are the same guys who are fighting against online distribution in movies and music too.
I actually read an article the other day by the former head of CrossGen digital distribution on this very subject. He says the data from his CrossGen days, along with current data, proves that digital comics DO NOT decrease retail sales and may actually have the opposite affect. Note that retail sales are at a 10 year high, while Comixology continues to grow and was the top 3 revenue grossing app in 2012 (and the only app to appear in the top 10 in each of the past two years). In his words, retailers and publishers need to discard the idea that digital hurts retail because there is not one significant piece of data suggesting it to be true.

He also posits an idea to help spread digital usage, while boosting retail sales, and bringing retailers on board as partners with publishers in increasing readership. He suggests offering digital subscription codes for Comixology or publisher digital stores at LCSs. This would bring interested digital users into the LCS, who would earn a percentage of the subscription sale. But since they may be hesitant to buy a subscription for a book they haven't tried, retailers could pitch paper issues at a discount to the customer as a trial before (or in conjunction with) buying the subscription. Comixology and other apps would still maintain their hold on single issue purchasers, while subscription customers would contribute to the LCS business.

Edit: Here's the link to the article http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/01/03/ ... -panaccio/

There are definitely some issues with his idea, but its an interesting start.
Last edited by BugsySig on Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:16:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tetrisdork

Post by tetrisdork »

nutflush76 wrote:
BugsySig wrote:Marvel has some $2.99 books mixed in. Hawkeye, for example, has been $2.99 since it launched.
I wonder how long Hawkeye will stay that way?
I think throughout its run. Hawkeye isn't a Spider-Man or AAA-level superhero book that Marvel would justify the $3.99 price tag. And, for clarification and the heck of it, here is all of Marvel's $2.99 books in the NOW! era (excluding minis)
  • Age of Apocalypse
    Avengers Arena
    Captain Marvel
    Daredevil
    Dark Avengers
    Deadpool
    FF
    Fantastic Four
    Gambit
    Hawkeye
    Journey Into Mystery
    Red She-Hulk
    Scarlet Spider
    Thunderbolts
    Venom
    Winter Soldier
    X-Factor
    X-Men Legacy
    X-Treme X-Men
    Morbius: The Living Vampire
    Marvel Universe: Avengers - Earth's Mightiest Heroes
    Marvel Universe: Ultimate Spider-Man
    Young Avengers
    Fearless Defenders
I believe the reason why the Same-Day-As-Print books are about the same as print books is so that the publishers don't offend/affect comic book shops. In fact, DC used to release their same-day books on Comixology at 2pm ET for that reason (well, until DC reached a deal with Apple to get issues onto iBooks, resulting in DC coming out even earlier in some weeks).

Will they change the price on the new releases? Probably not, as the most popular books on Comixology have been the same-day-as-print books when they are released. Very few titles priced either at $.99 or $1.99 grace the top 25, and the free books have their own separate chart.

And, on-topic, the free Valiant book deal ends at 11pm ET tonight.

nutflush76
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by nutflush76 »

BugsySig wrote:
nutflush76 wrote:

I actually read an article the other day by the former head of CrossGen digital distribution on this very subject. He says the data from his CrossGen days, along with current data, proves that digital comics DO NOT decrease retail sales and may actually have the opposite affect. Note that retail sales are at a 10 year high, while Comixology continues to grow and was the top 3 revenue grossing app in 2012 (and the only app to appear in the top 10 in each of the past two years). In his words, retailers and publishers need to discard the idea that digital hurts retail because there is not one significant piece of data suggesting it to be true.

He also posits an idea to help spread digital usage, while boosting retail sales, and bringing retailers on board as partners with publishers in increasing readership. He suggests offering digital subscription codes for Comixology or publisher digital stores at LCSs. This would bring interested digital users into the LCS, who would earn a percentage of the subscription sale. But since they may be hesitant to buy a subscription for a book they haven't tried, retailers could pitch paper issues at a discount to the customer as a trial before (or in conjunction with) buying the subscription. Comixology and other apps would still maintain their hold on single issue purchasers, while subscription customers would contribute to the LCS business.

Edit: Here's the link to the article http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/01/03/ ... -panaccio/

There are definitely some issues with his idea, but its an interesting start.
I completely agree with this. Comics differ from all of the other media that are having issues with digital in that they are collectibles. Plus, I know there are a bunch of people that would buy a book in print and then also buy it in digital.

Although with Marvel, you just need to buy the print book and you get both. Which is a better deal ,in my opinion, than just buying the digital copy.

cavemold

Post by cavemold »

I buy digtial and print. I like print a bit more.

Ramses818
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: X-O Manowar 14
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-o but maybe soon to be Rai

Post by Ramses818 »

Just to chime in here (yes it is that kind of morning for me :twisted: ) I think they should lower the cost on some of the old stories for digital trades. The old stories I think if cheap enough would attract a younger group who travel with their iphones. I know my sons friends (around 12 years old) all look to me to refer them to comics that their parents would approve and they would like. I think these free first's for Valiant is a perfect example of that. My son can't wait to jump and read these and of course while I get some digital I am a collector and always buy print copies. But I really believe that if they reduce the digital cost on stories that are 5 years or older they would bring in new fans. By that time everyone who wanted that story has already bought it in print. We have all seen the $5. tpb sales and the dollar bins, but for kids or adults that do not go to cons or comic stores this may really entice them to try some great stories.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Ramses818 wrote:Just to chime in here (yes it is that kind of morning for me :twisted: ) I think they should lower the cost on some of the old stories for digital trades. The old stories I think if cheap enough would attract a younger group who travel with their iphones. I know my sons friends (around 12 years old) all look to me to refer them to comics that their parents would approve and they would like. I think these free first's for Valiant is a perfect example of that. My son can't wait to jump and read these and of course while I get some digital I am a collector and always buy print copies. But I really believe that if they reduce the digital cost on stories that are 5 years or older they would bring in new fans. By that time everyone who wanted that story has already bought it in print. We have all seen the $5. tpb sales and the dollar bins, but for kids or adults that do not go to cons or comic stores this may really entice them to try some great stories.
Digital Quarter Bin...I like it :thumb:

Shadowman99
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar

Post by Shadowman99 »

the1captain wrote:http://www.comixology.com/Valiant-Free- ... ured/14090

All the new series and some old series #1's are free on comixology...
Hey, thanks for posting this link. I read all the Valiants and I think that as well as Shadowman, I may start reading Bloodshot now too! :D

josephrezza
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?

Post by josephrezza »

I cannot seem to get em for free... What am i doing wrong? Never read a comic on my ipad lol!

Beware Cyclops
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by Beware Cyclops »

josephrezza wrote:I cannot seem to get em for free... What am i doing wrong? Never read a comic on my ipad lol!
It seems that you missed out. It was for a limited time.