BLOODSHOT 5 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2
BLOODSHOT 5 Discussion

Post by Dr. Solar »

Suh-WEET!

I loved see Bloodshot operate more as a man than only a killing machine.

Death Angel reference, awesome.

Loved this issue.

Xtianhardy
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1995
Favorite character: Pete Stanchek
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Re: BLOODSHOT 5 Discussion

Post by Xtianhardy »

Didn't love this as much as Archer & Armstrong #4 but still thought it was an awesome issue.

Is it just me, or is this book getting easier to follow as it goes along? Seems that way to me anyways.

Also: I freaking love CHAINSAW! I wonder if this is the new interpretation of Ax or if they are something completely different? Either way, they're insane looking and I can't wait to see them fight it out with Bloodshot next issue!
"We are what we imagine ourselves to be" - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

Both books are excellent. Bloodshot is taking a nice turn - and I love the Gamma character.
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

SJS4
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by SJS4 »

Loved this issue! IMHO this series keeps getting better and better. Love Garcia's art and the story always has me wanting to see more! This is the book that may eventually take over the #1 spot from X-O for me! Crazy thing is I was never a big Bloodshot fan (do not own and never bothered to pick up the second series).
Kurt Busiek wrote: Bull$#!t

swtor1091
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: May 2012
Favorite character: Flamingo
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong

Post by swtor1091 »

AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap: Bloodshot when it started wasn't very good in my opipion but the last three issues have made this one of my fav's and since i never read the original stuff i have no idea where it's going or who those people are at the end but they dont look good :hm: (Please don't spoil it for me people). This book is too good :cloud9:
A shameful plug to the book i am currently writing. Please like my page so when I try to publish it I already have a following... https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Blac ... 9693235948" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Damn, this was an awesome issue. I honestly was disappointed when I turned to the last page because I wasn't ready for it to be over. Best moment was that panel with Hutch with the knife in his head and BS saying he has this memory problem. :lol: It's hard o do gruesome AND funny, but that achieved it for me.

I don't think it will spoil anything to say that CHAINSAW are pre-existing characters from latter VH1. They only had a brief appearance or two, I believe, so they are basically blank slates. I agree they are pretty cool, though I had my doubts from the concept art.

Did anyone else get a Bleeding Monk vibe when Bloodshot was floating in dreamland? He also refers to the red circle as a wound that doesn't heal...more fodder for the Bloodshot/Rai/Bleeding Monk connection. :hm:

I also really like how the Nanites are portrayed almost as children, just becoming self-aware and curious about what it means to be alive. And the way they snuck into PRS in the girls blood? Genius :thumb:
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Dr. Solar
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

BugsySig wrote:Did anyone else get a Bleeding Monk vibe when Bloodshot was floating in dreamland? He also refers to the red circle as a wound that doesn't heal...more fodder for the Bloodshot/Rai/Bleeding Monk connection. :hm:
I got a MAJOR Rai vibe from him floating in dreamland. He looked almost exactly like old school Rai in those panels.

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

Fantastic issue, this series gains momentum with every issue.

I definetly got the Bloodshot/Bleeding Monk/Rai vibe, whats happening here?!? 8-)

I have a feeling this whole Harada/Bleeding Monk/PRS connection goes way back, if Bloodshot was built by PRS did the Bleeding Monk have something to do with it? PRS stated these nanites "evolved" in a living subject, what if that subject was the Bleeding Monk?

From what we heard about Harbinger zero Harada hooks up with the Monk in Tibet during a Chinese invasion after WW2. Now what if Simon Oreck (who we really know almost nothing about) somehow became aware of Harada and Harbingers and started up PRS to "protect humanity". We have already seen that he kidnaps and exploits psiots, what if he got his hands on the monk and that's how the "Goldies" were developed- in the Monk's body! :o

With Bloodshot storming PRS, the Bleeding Monk walking away at the end of Harby #5 and Harby #0 on the way , I'm sure much is about to be revealed and some how this is all heading to Rai, what ever that ends up being.

Nanites...Psiots...HARD Corps?? :hm:

I can't wait to see where this going! :thumb:

Blood of Heroes
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.

Post by Blood of Heroes »

Dr. Solar wrote:
BugsySig wrote:Did anyone else get a Bleeding Monk vibe when Bloodshot was floating in dreamland? He also refers to the red circle as a wound that doesn't heal...more fodder for the Bloodshot/Rai/Bleeding Monk connection. :hm:
I got a MAJOR Rai vibe from him floating in dreamland. He looked almost exactly like old school Rai in those panels.
Almost. Exactly. Like. Rai.

The knife in Hutch's head was awesome.b :thumb:

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by pixierosa »

BugsySig wrote:Damn, this was an awesome issue. I honestly was disappointed when I turned to the last page because I wasn't ready for it to be over. Best moment was that panel with Hutch with the knife in his head and BS saying he has this memory problem. :lol: It's hard o do gruesome AND funny, but that achieved it for me.

I don't think it will spoil anything to say that CHAINSAW are pre-existing characters from latter VH1. They only had a brief appearance or two, I believe, so they are basically blank slates. I agree they are pretty cool, though I had my doubts from the concept art.

Did anyone else get a Bleeding Monk vibe when Bloodshot was floating in dreamland? He also refers to the red circle as a wound that doesn't heal...more fodder for the Bloodshot/Rai/Bleeding Monk connection. :hm:

I also really like how the Nanites are portrayed almost as children, just becoming self-aware and curious about what it means to be alive. And the way they snuck into PRS in the girls blood? Genius :thumb:
I thought it read fast, too, but I really enjoyed it. They surprised me with that bit of Hutch humor but it fit perfectly. Also liked how they devised getting into the facility, liked seeing the background on Pulse (Gramma is the scariest person I've seen in the series). They are making a lot of connections between Bloodshot, Rai and the Bleeding Monk. Looking forward to seeing where this goes.
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Loved the book. Read quick but I can't wait to see BS take on Chainsaw.

Xtianhardy
Valiant fan since: 1995
Favorite character: Pete Stanchek

Post by Xtianhardy »

Dr. Solar wrote:
Man I didn't even realize this when I was reading it BUT YES! Didn't Rai used to hang out in a virtual reality garden too? Damn I need re-read my Rai back issues now.
"We are what we imagine ourselves to be" - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Great issue - lotsa good stuff here. It did read a bit quick, but I may have just been too excited when i read it. I'll have to re-read it a few more times.

Gamma was cool, Chainsaw looks to be pretty cool, the sneaking blood in via Kara was very clever, great infiltration of PRS... and yeah, the RAI vibe. Awesome.

Glad to finally see the mention of the 'wound' not healing within the story.

Also happy to see Garcia remaining on as the artist for this new story arc. I don't have a problem with rotating artists when they are top notch and suit the books they are on, especially if thats what it takes to keep a book on a regular schedule, but its also nice to see one artist carry a book too. I think Patch is trying to be the sole artist for Shadowman, thats one that really will benefit from a single dedicated artist, especially considering he is co-writing as well.

But I digress, BS 5 was a definite :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

grendeljd wrote:Great issue - lotsa good stuff here. It did read a bit quick, but I may have just been too excited when i read it. I'll have to re-read it a few more times.

Gamma was cool, Chainsaw looks to be pretty cool, the sneaking blood in via Kara was very clever, great infiltration of PRS... and yeah, the RAI vibe. Awesome.

Also happy to see Garcia remaining on as the artist for this new story arc. I don't have a problem with rotating artists when they are top notch and suit the books they are on, especially if thats what it takes to keep a book on a regular schedule, but its also nice to see one artist carry a book too. I think Patch is trying to be the sole artist for Shadowman, thats one that really will benefit from a single dedicated artist, especially considering he is co-writing as well.

I think the fact that Lozzi does the flashback scenes helps keep the volume of work for Garcia down and the book bennefits as a whole.

grendeljd
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

BugsySig wrote:
grendeljd wrote:Great issue - lotsa good stuff here. It did read a bit quick, but I may have just been too excited when i read it. I'll have to re-read it a few more times.

I think the fact that Lozzi does the flashback scenes helps keep the volume of work for Garcia down and the book bennefits as a whole.
Good point. The fact that they are divy-ing art chores per book keeps them on track to retain that dynamic. I really like the use of both styles in each issue, though I do wish BS was a little bit beefier in Garcia's drawings. Maybe it'll happen in time, as he continues to 'repair' himself without being under strain of taking so much damage as often? :?
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

grendeljd wrote:
BugsySig wrote:

Good point. The fact that they are divy-ing art chores per book keeps them on track to retain that dynamic. I really like the use of both styles in each issue, though I do wish BS was a little bit beefier in Garcia's drawings. Maybe it'll happen in time, as he continues to 'repair' himself without being under strain of taking so much damage as often? :?
I actually like the leaner look (though the covers would indicate the beffier version). I think the more sinewy, lean muscle makes sense given his nanites redirect most protein he injests to repairing injury and creatign their own energy as opposed to building "new" muscle.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

BugsySig wrote:I actually like the leaner look (though the covers would indicate the beffier version)
It's true. He gets bigger and bigger on the covers and smaller and smaller in the book. :lol: Not that I mind, the sinewy BS is a more realistic look. I don't want the thing going all Liefeld on us.

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

This was alright. 3.5 / 5

The first arc was probably my favorite of the new VEI. They could've gone more toward the character route or right into the cheesey bad guys like a 90s comic. I'd rather read more character stuff rather than reading a 90s comic with somewhat corny adversaries, but this is Bloodshot. Maybe I was expecting too much from Duane S.
ASM Crossover Home

manga4life

Post by manga4life »

This issue was probably my least favorite of the Bloodshot issues so far, but it was still somewhat enjoyable. I'm telling ya', as each issue passes by I begin to like Pulse (Melissa) more and more, she's become one of my favorite supporting characters and I look forward to seeing more and more of her in each issue. Also, the scene where Kara has to pee but wasn't allowed to was pretty funny, I don't think the guy was a perv and was into watching more so than he's a jerk and didn't care. Also, Bloodshot infiltrating the base was cool, it set up issue #6 nicely.
NEW BLOG IS UP!

Twitter.com/manga4life

http://manga4life-blog.blogspot.com - 4/13/13 "CLASSIC GAMING: Discovering new gems is always the funnest part."