Digital Sales - Comixology/Apple - Where does my money go?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

bribri
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Digital Sales - Comixology/Apple - Where does my money go?

Post by bribri »

Every Wednesday morning I purchase digital copies of new Valiant issues because I can't wait a few more hours to read the hard copies I inevitably will purchase later in the day.

Sometimes I purchase the digital copies from Comixology using my laptop and a web browser. Other times I'll purchase from an iPhone/iPad using the Comixology app. I'm wondering if either of these methods is preferable to Valiant Entertainment. In either case Comixology gets a cut of my money, of course, but I presume that if I make an in-app purchase Apple must also get a cut. Does the amount going to VEI change depending on how I make my purchase? Or does Comixology take less of a cut if an app is used? I'd like to make my future purchases in such a way that most benefits VEI.

etos45
I live to be inefficient!
Re: Digital Sales - Comixology/Apple - Where does my money g

Post by etos45 »

bribri wrote:Every Wednesday morning I purchase digital copies of new Valiant issues because I can't wait a few more hours to read the hard copies I inevitably will purchase later in the day.

Sometimes I purchase the digital copies from Comixology using my laptop and a web browser. Other times I'll purchase from an iPhone/iPad using the Comixology app. I'm wondering if either of these methods is preferable to Valiant Entertainment. In either case Comixology gets a cut of my money, of course, but I presume that if I make an in-app purchase Apple must also get a cut. Does the amount going to VEI change depending on how I make my purchase? Or does Comixology take less of a cut if an app is used? I'd like to make my future purchases in such a way that most benefits VEI.
It's always been my understanding that the app purchase only affects Comixology's cut. Apple usually takes 30% of all sales.

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

If you buy through Comixology website then Apple does not receive anything.

If you buy through the App, then Apple takes its cut.

So going through Comixology is better for the publisher.

You can also go through Comixology's digital storefronts and give a portion to your local LCS if they have one. Or you could just go through one like Paradise, who has a digital store front on the site.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

skot
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill

Post by skot »

paradise had some info about it.
he asked to buy them through him so at least a real valiant supporter got support instead of apple. i maybe getting this wrong as i can not find his original post. hopefully he can chime in.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

skot wrote:paradise had some info about it.
he asked to buy them through him so at least a real valiant supporter got support instead of apple. i maybe getting this wrong as i can not find his original post. hopefully he can chime in.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=38060&hilit=Paradise+does+digital" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

skot

Post by skot »

:thumb:

bribri
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by bribri »

Okay, cool. Thanks for the information. I understand that buying in the app helps Apple, and yes, it would be great to support a real LCS (and Valiant supporter).

1. Buying on Comixology through their website - obviously benefits Comixology
2. Buying on Comixology through Paradise - benefits Comixology and Paradise
3. Buying on Comixology app - benefits Comixology and Paradise

But which of these three options most directly benefits Valiant? Or is it all the same?

etos45 seems to suggest buying in the app affects Comixology's cut and not Valiant's, while BugsySig suggests buying in the app results in Valiant losing a cut to Apple. If BugsySig is correct, I will avoid purchases in the app (regardless of going through a storefront or not).

IanAlexavier
Valiant. Back to basics.
Valiant. Back to basics.
Location: SE Michigan, 21 bound books done.. many more to go...

Post by IanAlexavier »

I buy mine through my computer browser using Paradise Comics website to access my Comixology account. This way Paradise gets a cut, so does Comixology and so does Valiant. I hope this benefits Comixology and Valiant the best.

It would be nice to find out what way BEST benefits Valiant. :thumb:

I sure wish Valiant would have a storefront on their site :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

etos45

Post by etos45 »

I would be very surprised to see that any method affects Valiant's cut. I say this because if it affected the publisher's cut, you'd probably see some publishers refusing to list on the iOS app. Right now, the only comics not listed on iOS are the ones that violate Apple's terms of use.

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

IanAlexavier wrote:I buy mine through my computer browser using Paradise Comics website to access my Comixology account. This way Paradise gets a cut, so does Comixology and so does Valiant. I hope this benefits Comixology and Valiant the best.

It would be nice to find out what way BEST benefits Valiant. :thumb:

I sure wish Valiant would have a storefront on their site :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
They could sell apparel as well :)

drmirage
WOW! OMG BBQ! Thats crazy!
WOW! OMG BBQ! Thats crazy!
Valiant fan since: 1990
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by drmirage »

I do wonder why don't publishers sell direct to consumers digitally.

They can cut the middle man... Comixology / Apple and pass on the savings directly to the consumers.

the1captain
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by the1captain »

drmirage wrote:I do wonder why don't publishers sell direct to consumers digitally.

They can cut the middle man... Comixology / Apple and pass on the savings directly to the consumers.
DC and Marvel started that way. Although they still have their own digital stores, I think they realize people like one stop shopping at places like Comixology. If I collect books for 5-6 different publishers I don't want to jump to the different sites to get my books and/or read them. Dark Horse still stands only digitally. But I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually join up with Comixology too.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

bribri wrote:Okay, cool. Thanks for the information. I understand that buying in the app helps Apple, and yes, it would be great to support a real LCS (and Valiant supporter).

1. Buying on Comixology through their website - obviously benefits Comixology

But which of these three options most directly benefits Valiant? Or is it all the same?

etos45 seems to suggest buying in the app affects Comixology's cut and not Valiant's, while BugsySig suggests buying in the app results in Valiant losing a cut to Apple. If BugsySig is correct, I will avoid purchases in the app (regardless of going through a storefront or not).
If bought through the App, Apple takes their cut off the top, leaving less for the distributor (Comixology) and publisher (Valiant) to split.

If bought through the website, Apple is taken out of the equation, leaving a bigger pie to share.

A storefront gets their cut out of Comixology's cut (I believe).

Keith
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

This is great info, thanks to all who posted! I usually start the dl to my iPhone at 8 am on the way to work, and will be changing that routine this week. As much as I love Apple, I don't want them getting a share of what should be going to Valiant.
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

Apple's share is fairly large, when you buy through the app store. I wouldn't be surprised is Comixology has negotiated a better deal for itself than the usual 30% though, considering it is one of the top grossing apps for in-app purchases.

My LCS has a comixology digital storefront, and I use that whenever possible for digital comics purchases. I like that my dealer gets the kick back. The frustrating thing is that the website storefront is a flash site, and doesn't run on the iPad. Most of my digital purchases are spur of the moment decisions.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Dr. Solar wrote:Apple's share is fairly large, when you buy through the app store. I wouldn't be surprised is Comixology has negotiated a better deal for itself than the usual 30% though, considering it is one of the top grossing apps for in-app purchases.

My LCS has a comixology digital storefront, and I use that whenever possible for digital comics purchases. I like that my dealer gets the kick back. The frustrating thing is that the website storefront is a flash site, and doesn't run on the iPad. Most of my digital purchases are spur of the moment decisions.
Thanks for including that, I forgot to mention that issue.

Dr. Solar
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

BugsySig wrote:
Dr. Solar wrote:Apple's share is fairly large, when you buy through the app store. I wouldn't be surprised is Comixology has negotiated a better deal for itself than the usual 30% though, considering it is one of the top grossing apps for in-app purchases.

Thanks for including that, I forgot to mention that issue.
That's the biggest reason that I buy stuff through the app. Usually, I open up Comixology on my iPad, check the store, and if there is something I want, I get it. If I could just browse right there and then to my LCS storefront to make the purchase, I would. Instead, I have to fire up my labtop, wait for it to boot, go to the site, and make the purchase. Waaaaaay too many steps.

paradise
Major Valiant-supporting retailer
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar, Unity
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Bart Sears

Post by paradise »

Dr. Solar wrote: That's the biggest reason that I buy stuff through the app. Usually, I open up Comixology on my iPad, check the store, and if there is something I want, I get it. If I could just browse right there and then to my LCS storefront to make the purchase, I would. Instead, I have to fire up my labtop, wait for it to boot, go to the site, and make the purchase. Waaaaaay too many steps.
Here is the thing. Do you think it's by accident that the Comixology retailer portals are flash? NO, they are that way because while the publisher / comixology feel they MUST give retailers a "bone" they do not want to give them much of a "bone" so they limit it to the most unlikely way to buy stuff. They know that most people will get their digital comics off an ipad. That's just the way demographics match, people with Ipads who are into comics are more likely to buy them digitally (early adapters). You are playing right into their game. You are also lowering the publisher's and comixology's cut, by giving 30% to Apple.
Edward
COLLECTOR'S PARADISE Stores:(Canoga Park, Pasadena, North Hollywood)
7131 Winnetka Ave - Canoga Park, CA - 91306 - 818-999-9455
319 S. Arroyo Parkway - Pasadena, CA - 91105 - 626-577-6694
5118 Lankershim Blvd - NoHo, CA - 91601 - 818-980-BOOK
http://ComicsAndCards.net

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

paradise wrote:
Dr. Solar wrote: That's the biggest reason that I buy stuff through the app. Usually, I open up Comixology on my iPad, check the store, and if there is something I want, I get it. If I could just browse right there and then to my LCS storefront to make the purchase, I would. Instead, I have to fire up my labtop, wait for it to boot, go to the site, and make the purchase. Waaaaaay too many steps.
Here is the thing. Do you think it's by accident that the Comixology retailer portals are flash? NO, they are that way because while the publisher / comixology feel they MUST give retailers a "bone" they do not want to give them much of a "bone" so they limit it to the most unlikely way to buy stuff. They know that most people will get their digital comics off an ipad. That's just the way demographics match, people with Ipads who are into comics are more likely to buy them digitally (early adapters). You are playing right into their game. You are also lowering the publisher's and comixology's cut, by giving 30% to Apple.
I understand that is what Apple wants as far as the storefront, but at least if you go through the main site, there is more $ for the small publisher like VEI.

My issue is the same as Dr. Solar in that the only non tablet I use anymore is my work CPU, which I can't use for this purpose. Otherwise I would go through my local LCS, who has a storefront.

paradise

Post by paradise »

bribri wrote: 1. Buying on Comixology through their website - obviously benefits Comixology

Buy Directly through a store's portal IF you care about a REAL store getting some of that money, whether it's mine (thanks to all for mentioning us) because we support Valiant like no other store, due to my own personal long time obsession with the company, or your local store if they have a portal available (very few stores do). Buying through Comixology's site does not give us participation. You MUST do it through our (or other retailer's) portal. Ours is at:

https://comics.comixology.com/ret/28/Co ... tal_Store/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Bookmark it and do it through that link every time, and I will get credit and will see your purchases on the report I get weekly. Don't do it through an Ipad, Ipod, Iphone or anything else I-related. Those devices give apple the money instead of a retailer, and they do not support Flash, a technology that is used to run our portal stores (on purpose, see my post above this one for the reasons).

To those of you who already use our portal site, THANK YOU!!! I do know who you are and I really do appreciate it. Every little bit counts.
Edward

paradise

Post by paradise »

BugsySig wrote:
paradise wrote: I understand that is what Apple wants as far as the storefront, but at least if you go through the main site, there is more $ for the small publisher like VEI.
I agree with that, but I want to add this. In the next few years as the digital marketplace expands, and print comics contract (will happen), it will be more and more important to support the retailer. As our revenue share from digital sales becomes more and more substantial (right now it's a pitiful amount), we'll be more and more able to withstand the contracting print market, while publishers will be able to continue producing comics (both print and digital) because stores will still be around. Without print, publishers' costs for digital won't be able to sustain their production.

Basically, if you care about the publisher, help the retailer. There is nothing you can do for the publisher directly but affecting your retailer's bottom line and educating them about the publisher hopefully increases their orders, which is the only way to affect publisher's numbers.
Edward

tetrisdork
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by tetrisdork »

I buy/read my Comixology purchases on my iPod, as I don't have a tablet. I would start buying Valiant books via the Comixology website (my LCBS does not have a Comixology storefront) if I was a bit more comfortable giving Comixology my debit card.

I know that Comixology is also on Android devices, so what is Google's cut from app purchases?

cavemold

Post by cavemold »

drmirage wrote:I do wonder why don't publishers sell direct to consumers digitally.

Because print is still the number one money maker. Digtial is a small fraction. The overturn would doom comics.

cavemold

Post by cavemold »

I buy my comics on android!!! Also in shopa.

paradise

Post by paradise »

tetrisdork wrote:I buy/read my Comixology purchases on my iPod, as I don't have a tablet. I would start buying Valiant books via the Comixology website (my LCBS does not have a Comixology storefront) if I was a bit more comfortable giving Comixology my debit card.

I know that Comixology is also on Android devices, so what is Google's cut from app purchases?
I believe buying on anything but apple devices is buying from comixology or if you do through a storefront, like ours it is comixology / retailer. VEI gets theirs either way so always help a retailer (our link is in a post above)
Edward