VEI's best move thus far

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
VEI's best move thus far

Post by BugsySig »

As far as I am concerned, VEI has done an amazing job publicizing (not to mention producing) their books thus far. But by far the best thing they have done is to make every story arc, for every title, an event.

Beginning with the Summer of Valiant opening arcs, then the Ninjak arc in XO, Renegades in Harbinger, the launch of Shadowman, Eternal Warrior in A&A, Harbinger Hunter in Bloodshot, Planet Death in XO, and now Harbinger Wars upcoming in at least Bloodshot and Harbinger. By making every story arc an event in itself, they continue to draw interest month-to-month, and I believe this is why sales have begun to stabilize so early, and (IMHO) will begin to rise in 2013.

Many other launches and Indy titles have failed to achieve this in the past. How many times have you seen a bunch of interviews and teasers for a big arc in a book (like Spawn or Invincible) only for the book to fade back to where it was before as soon as that arc ends? How many new Universes launch with great sales and hype (Project: Superpowers, Kirby: Genesis) only to be derailed by a lack of consistent publicity and killed by poor quality and delays?

Of course quality is what will keep readers, and ultimately decide the fate of this version of VALIANT, but their concerted effort to maintain excitement and create buzz for their books is a huge step in establishing and increasing their reader base.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

stp1503
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Re: VEI's best move thus far

Post by stp1503 »

I feel the best move that Valiant Entertainment has made so far is getting their books out on time and having such attention to detail with their stories. I'm a strong believer that not getting your books out on time is an insult to your customers and also shows a lack of respect towards your own creations that your in charge of. I love the fact that when I go to the LCS to pick up my Valiant books that they are there and then when I go home I am always blown away by the story!

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Good point, Bugsy!

The best facet of what you're saying is that all these 'events' being hyped are just plain good stories that aren't epic cash-grabbing crossover events that have no lasting impact on the universe they're set in. Nor do they all need to boast having a big lasting impact in the first place in order to sound appealing.

And also, as appears to be the case for the upcoming Planet Death arc, when there IS a promise of a world-changing event, it's probably going to deliver. :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mark Fuller
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by Mark Fuller »

Consistency.

Uniformly high quality books coming out every month, on the day they are solicited for.

BugsySig
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

I am all about positivity...Keep 'me coming boys and girls :thumb:
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

tetrisdork

Post by tetrisdork »

I agree that putting out high-quality stories month-to-month consistently is a key point. As for the trade front, I hope making the first volumes of X-O, Harbinger, Bloodshot, and A&A $10 each will help them in the long run. There are people who are put off by $4/issue titles, or even consider spending $2.99/issue on Comixology to play catch-up to the latest issue. Pushing that these are high-quality stories w/ a cheap entry point will hopefully get trade-waiters to give Valiant a shot (and become addicted to the titles).

manga4life
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by manga4life »

I fully agree with BugsySig, its reasons such as this as to why Valiant has done so well since its launch and why their books have enjoyed such acclaim. Heavy attention to detail really goes a long way and Valiant has been second to none with their creative prowess and amazing creators, simply amazing. The summer of Valiant was a great way to kick things off and the way every arc kicks off with a bang is a great way to build and maintain excitement for these titles, its all thanks to the phenomenal creative teams that Valiant has assembled for their book.
NEW BLOG IS UP!

Twitter.com/manga4life

http://manga4life-blog.blogspot.com - 4/13/13 "CLASSIC GAMING: Discovering new gems is always the funnest part."

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

Everyone, and I do mean everyone, who reads comics, wants what VALIANT is offering every month, since May: GOOD stories. Entertainment for their buck. GOOD art.

I would add "a SOLID, shared continuity" to it, but it's way too early to say that, to be fair. I know we'll get there, and I'm confident (specially after hearing the fantastic OTV interview with Warren Simons) that the people at VEI will give us many more reasons to keep buying their books.
I have to say I've never been this excited for a comics' publisher myself.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

ShadowTuga wrote:Everyone, and I do mean everyone, who reads comics, wants what VALIANT is offering every month, since May: GOOD stories. Entertainment for their buck. GOOD art.

I would add "a SOLID, shared continuity" to it, but it's way too early to say that, to be fair. I know we'll get there, and I'm confident (specially after hearing the fantastic OTV interview with Warren Simons) that the people at VEI will give us many more reasons to keep buying their books.
I have to say I've never been this excited for a comics' publisher myself.
I have once before in the early 90s I think they were called VALIANT!

I feel exactly the same way and we got a lot of great teases today :thumb:

erwinrafael
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Favorite character: Aram
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Pere Perez

Post by erwinrafael »

VEIs best move is getting the creators that would match the sensibilities of each individual series.

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

Tough here. Any good moves. Timing is excellent, but I also love the transparency. Real communication to and from fans.
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

ShadowTuga
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

kevinbastos wrote:Tough here. Any good moves. Timing is excellent, but I also love the transparency. Real communication to and from fans.
X2 :thumb:
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

cavemold
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.

Post by cavemold »

:thumb:
kevinbastos wrote:Tough here. Any good moves. Timing is excellent, but I also love the transparency. Real communication to and from fans.
:clap: :clap: